New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Why are Werebears good?

It always struck me as odd that they are good and wondered what the reasoning was? I am assuming someone agrees to become one in order to protect some area or tribe

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Why are Werebears good?

I'm guessing because Beorn from The Hobbit was a reasonably good-aligned guy, and that's what Gygax and the others were working off of.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    I'm guessing because Beorn from The Hobbit was a reasonably good-aligned guy, and that's what Gygax and the others were working off of.
    This. Early dnd hadn't even filed the serial numbers off ripping off LotR, and some parts of that have remained throughout the gameline's history out of sheer inertia after they barely did so.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

The more interesting part is how many similarity you can still see in the werebears presented in W:tA, even though they are generation and genres away from LotR.
    Spoiler
    Show

Warforged Upgrades
    Blade Lord Vestige
    Soulforged PrC
    Transformers RPG Now Updated as PDFs on Google Drive.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

To an extent there are even older links. Older Bear-Warrior legends were from N European legend as In-Group members and used during battle vs say the werewolf legend where the were performing actions against the in-group (and thus evil)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by huginn View Post
    It always struck me as odd that they are good and wondered what the reasoning was? I am assuming someone agrees to become one in order to protect some area or tribe
    Why aren't Dwarves Evil? Why are Goblins not Good?

Because the game's designers decided that Werebears are Good. That's really the only valid answer to your question.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post

Because the game's designers decided that Werebears are Good. That's really the only valid answer to your question.
    You typed "game designers" when you meant "Tolkien"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

confused Re: Why are Werebears good?

Quote Originally Posted by johnbragg View Post
    You typed "game designers" when you meant "Tolkien"
    I wasn't aware that Gary Gygax wrote under a pseudonym. You learn something new every day.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Even more ironic when you take into account that Gygax was a MUCH bigger fan of and much more interested in ripping off pulp fantasy authors like Robert E. Howard and H.P. Lovecraft.
    "I Burn!"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    Even more ironic when you take into account that Gygax was a MUCH bigger fan of and much more interested in ripping off pulp fantasy authors like Robert E. Howard and H.P. Lovecraft.
    He ripped off a lot of Tolkein's set dressing in the end because somebody told him "hey, these books are popular and you might want to include them" while he was writing. In the end, he said he really wished he hadn't on some level because everybody assumed he'd just ripped off The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings and sort of ignored the rest as time went by.

Werebears are good for a combination of The Hobbit, because of some old European legends, because he needed a balance to the other lycanthropes (hence were-ravens as well), and because it was cool. Does it need more explanation?
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

That really isn't an answer as it does not address the reasoning behind the decision

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    He ripped off a lot of Tolkein's set dressing in the end because somebody told him "hey, these books are popular and you might want to include them" while he was writing. In the end, he said he really wished he hadn't on some level because everybody assumed he'd just ripped off The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings and sort of ignored the rest as time went by.

Werebears are good for a combination of The Hobbit, because of some old European legends, because he needed a balance to the other lycanthropes (hence were-ravens as well), and because it was cool. Does it need more explanation?
    I can accept this. I never like Tolkien and I grew with old werewolf movies so I viewed all lycanthropes as unnatural and evil before I tried D&D

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by lightningcat View Post
    The more interesting part is how many similarity you can still see in the werebears presented in W:tA, even though they are generation and genres away from LotR.
    They went way more paleolithic bear cult with the Gurahl.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by huginn View Post
    That really isn't an answer as it does not address the reasoning behind the decision
    I did not design the werebear, therefore I cannot account for the reasoning which underlies its alignment. That was the point of my answer.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

I did not design the werebear, therefore I cannot account for the reasoning which underlies its alignment. That was the point of my answer.
    So if you can't add something meaningful to the discussion, why are you posting?

Unless your argument is that no one can have any idea what the developers' reasoning was, in which case I'd have to disagree. The developers were very garrulous, sometimes stating outright what their reasons were, and other times just letting us infer it from the list of books they'd read that inspired them.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

15. - Top - End - #15

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    So if you can't add something meaningful to the discussion, why are you posting?

Unless your argument is that no one can have any idea what the developers' reasoning was, in which case I'd have to disagree. The developers were very garrulous, sometimes stating outright what their reasons were, and other times just letting us infer it from the list of books they'd read that inspired them.
    It is still a point. D&D brought in influences from many, many, many points of origins so stating that it was "Because Tolkien" seems a little weak. Particularly because while they did use Tolkien they also drew from his inspirations as well. There are many sources which one could draw good werebears from aside from Tolkien so one important question in terms of determining the origin is "where was the earliest mention of good werebears in D&D."
    Last edited by Tinkerer; 2018-01-04 at 01:23 PM.
    Firm opponent of the one true path

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Beorn

evil werebears make for terrific monsters though, so by all means, make them up/use them, as other games have done.

Heck, over in middle earth, specificly MERP, it is entirely possible to have villainous characters like this: "Beorn indeed became a great chief afterwards in those regions and ruled a wide land between the mountains and the wood; and it is said that for many generations the men of his line had the power of taking bear's shape, and some were grim men and bad, but most were in heart like Beorn, if less in size and strength." (The Hobbit Chapter 18 The Return Journey).

MERP has them (& Beorn) as a subset of Northmen, a race called Beornings, Beijabar or Bajaegahar.

EDIT: weak or not, the answer to many an early D&D questions was "because Tolkien"

some varied myths to take from:
    http://www.hotcakencyclopedia.com/ho...Man-Bears.html
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berserker
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onikuma
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ungnyeo
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jambavan
    Last edited by CE DM; 2018-01-05 at 10:48 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CE DM View Post
    EDIT: weak or not, the answer to many an early D&D questions was "because Tolkien"
    also Howard, Moorcock, Anderson, Lieber, Lovecraft, or Vance. That pretty much covers it. See also Appendix N.

18. - Top - End - #18

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    This. Early dnd hadn't even filed the serial numbers off ripping off LotR, and some parts of that have remained throughout the gameline's history out of sheer inertia after they barely did so.
    And JRRT was guilty of ripping off.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    You must be new to this whole 'Internet' thing.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Because Were Bears are Care Bears.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post

"Werebear... stare!"
    "You're not staring at him."
    "No, the magical emblem is supposed to come out of my stomach."
    "...that's not a magical emblem."
    "Isn't it?"
    "That's urine."
    "But, by sharing, I feel better, and evil is vanquished. Who's to say it isn't magical?"
    "That's not magical."
    "Let me rephrase. I am 10 feet tall, immune to normal weapons, and made of claws, teeth, and fury. Who is going to say that's not magical?"
    "... your point is taken. Can you please stare over there, at least?"
    "I think this ogre needs a bit more staring."
    "You're just making it weird, now, Beorn."
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gygax's claim that LotR isn't an essential part of D&D's roots really has to be taken in context of him getting sued by the Tolkein estate for copyright infringement. D&D's races are very clearly Tolkein, for starters, including Hobbits (I think they were even called that in the earliest printings), Orcs, Tolkein's mistake with Hobgoblins being larger goblins, distinguishing Elves and Dwarves at all, distinguishing them by "this one lives in the woods and thinks they're better than you, this one lives underground and loved gold".

Chainmail directly drew from a system designed to allow people to wargame out battles from Middle-Earth such as the Battle of the Five Armies

Does D&D owe a lot to Conan, The Dying Earth, Elric, Barsoom, etc.? Yes, absolutely. But the idea of a D&D world populated like a D&D world came from Tolkein.

Given that, I think the claim that Beorn is the archetype for the D&D Werebear is more than plausible.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beneath View Post
    Gygax's claim that LotR isn't an essential part of D&D's roots really has to be taken in context of him getting sued by the Tolkein estate for copyright infringement. D&D's races are very clearly Tolkein, for starters, including Hobbits (I think they were even called that in the earliest printings), Orcs, Tolkein's mistake with Hobgoblins being larger goblins, distinguishing Elves and Dwarves at all, distinguishing them by "this one lives in the woods and thinks they're better than you, this one lives underground and loved gold".

Chainmail directly drew from a system designed to allow people to wargame out battles from Middle-Earth such as the Battle of the Five Armies

Does D&D owe a lot to Conan, The Dying Earth, Elric, Barsoom, etc.? Yes, absolutely. But the idea of a D&D world populated like a D&D world came from Tolkein.

Given that, I think the claim that Beorn is the archetype for the D&D Werebear is more than plausible.
    I'm going to at least be slightly fair and say that Gygax's versions of elves leaning more towards the Chaotic Good side of the alignment tree rather than the Lawful end was probably a homage to the elves seen in Poul Anderson's novels, which came out more or less simultaneously with Tolkien's work. In fact, this is an elf described in Poul Anderson's The Broken Sword:

He looked at her through the strange slant eyes of the elves, all cloudy-blue without whites or a readily seen pupil. There were little moon-flecks drifting in Imric’s eyes, and shadows of ancient knowledge, for he had dwelt long in the land. But he was ever youthful, with the broad forehead and high cheekbones, the narrow jaw and straight thin-chiselled nose of the elf lords. His hair floated silvery-gold, finer than spider silk, from beneath his horned helmet down to the wide red-caped shoulders.

“Not often of late lifetimes have the elves gone forth among men,” said the witch.

“Aye, we have been too busy in our war with the trolls,” answered Imric in his voice that was like a wind blowing through trees far away. “But now truce has been made, and I am curious to find what has happened in the last hundred years.”

“Much, and little of it good,” said the witch. “The Danes have come from overseas, killing, looting, burning, seizing for themselves much of eastern England and I know not what else.”

“That is not bad.” Imric stroked his moustache. “Before them, Angles and Saxons did likewise, and before them Picts and Scots, and before them the Romans, and before them Brythons and Goidels, and before them-but the tale is long and long, nor will it end with the Danes. And I, who have watched it almost since the land was made, see naught of harm in it, for it helps pass the time. I would fain see these newcomers.”

“Then you need not ride far,” said the witch, “for Orm the Strong dwells on the coast, distant from here by the ride of a night. Or less on a mortal horse.”

“A short trip for my stallion. I will go.”

“Hold-hold, elf!” For a while the witch sat muttering, and her eyes caught what light came from the tiny fire on the hearth, so that two red gleams moved amidst the smoke and shadows. Then of a sudden she cackled in glee and screamed, “Aye, ride, ride, elf, to Orm’s house by the sea. He is gone a-roving, but his wife will guest you gladly. She has newly brought forth a son, who is not yet christened.”

At these words Imric cocked his long, pointed ears forward. “Speak you sooth, witch?” he asked, low and toneless.
    That's pretty much the original D&D elf.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Another reference to LotR are Balrogs. Armed with whips of flame and a sword? At times there were also a very limited number of them just like in LotR (a specified number that is).
    A vestige for me "Pyro火gnus Friend of Meepo" by Zaydos.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...5&postcount=26

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post

To be fair, D&D's Were-bears date to 1974, while Care Bears don't appear until 1981.

DrewID

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    Actually, it looks like the were-raven didn't appear until Ravenloft, some time after Gary and TSR had parted ways.

DrewID

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    "Werebear... stare!"
    "You're not staring at him."
    "No, the magical emblem is supposed to come out of my stomach."
    "...that's not a magical emblem."
    "Isn't it?"
    "That's urine."
    "But, by sharing, I feel better, and evil is vanquished. Who's to say it isn't magical?"
    "That's not magical."
    "Let me rephrase. I am 10 feet tall, immune to normal weapons, and made of claws, teeth, and fury. Who is going to say that's not magical?"
    "... your point is taken. Can you please stare over there, at least?"
    "I think this ogre needs a bit more staring."
    "You're just making it weird, now, Beorn."
    I'm not sure why, but I find this hilarious. Now I want to make a werecarebeare.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    I'm not sure why, but I find this hilarious. Now I want to make a werecarebeare.
    I'm glad SOMEONE does. I swear, I waste my best material on you people.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

I think part of it may also be that culturally Bears are regarded as defensive fighters as opposed to active hunters. Obviously this isn't exactly accurate but it's a perception that tends to persist, in part due to bears size and tendency to hibernate over winter.

This perceptions makes bears into Guardians, contrasted with wolves who are culturally regarded as hunters. Guarding something is generally regarded as a "good" trait so by extension were-bears are good.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I would have to agree with the lotR rip as I have never been able to find much on the concept of werebears before lotR
    Have you accepted the Flying Spaghetti Monster as your Lord and Savior? If so, add this to your signature!
    Beholders are just a meatball that fell out of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    my first game started on a pirate ship
    Sorry for any spelling mistake