New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Question Which to be? Dwarves, Elves, Gnomes, Goblins, Hobgoblins, Humans, or Orcs?

For the new year, if you had to be a member of a Stickverse culture, which would you choose?

Locations

The self-sacrificing community-minded Dwarves?

The forest living Elves?

The hats and invention loving Gnomes?

The struggling Goblins?

Spoiler: Start the Darkness spoiler
    Show
    Before the village of Goblins is attacked by Paladins, it seemed like a nice place

The Militaristic Hobgoblins?

Humans?

Orcs?

Spoiler: My choice is
    Show
    Tinkertown in the Gnomelands!

What do we know (gno?) of the Gnomes?

Small shops, inventions, and hats!

I can easily imagine the Gnomes continually having friendly "Best Invention", and "Best Hat" contests (and if the Gnomes were all sporting "Winner" ribbons I'd be sure!).

The inventions and stylish hats, celebrated and of benefit for all of Gnomekind. Hooray (though the Dwarfs brew better ale)!

Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Which to be? Dwarves, Elves, Gnomes, Goblins, Hobgoblins, Humans, or Orcs?

If Gnomes don't win this by a landslide I'll be very surprised.

Gnomes, because the other cultures have significant flaws that we know about.
    Yes, being an Elf is by itself a significant flaw.
    "No Anti-Magic field ever stopped a pouncing Barbarians Great Club"

Spoilered Stuff!
    Spoiler
    Show

Favourite Threads!

Random
    Spoiler
    Show

I appear to be a pixie. I knew I overflowed with natural charisma

Nooo! I have fallen to being a mere halfling! Guess I'll....umm.....throw things....and bemoan my favored class.....

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Which to be? Dwarves, Elves, Gnomes, Goblins, Hobgoblins, Humans, or Orcs?

Quote Originally Posted by DemonRoach View Post
    Gnomes, because the other cultures have significant flaws that we know about.
    The significant flaw of the gnomes would appear to be pollution. I'd rather be a gnome anyway because hats combine conformity and self-expression.

Also you forgot wargs and bugbears.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Of those listed?
    Gnomes. Definitely gnomes.

By the way, that list is missing halflings and lizardfolk.
    Possibly a few others.

Like dragons.
    Can I change my answer to dragon?
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

I usually despise elves, but in the stickverse, with their disregard for gender: I'm joining the pointy ear club.

Sign me up for one elf.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidodese View Post
    I usually despise elves, but in the stickverse, with their disregard for gender: I'm joining the pointy ear club.

Sign me up for one elf.
    My problem with picking elves is that I would still be a
    toddler.

Sure, a long life is neat, but not when it means spending a long time growing up.

Plus, I'm not much of a nature person.
    So yeah, sticking with the steampunk guys.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2018-01-01 at 10:52 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

The correct answer here is orcs. i wanna be a big buff orc lady being benchpressed by my big strong orc wife
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Half-Elf!

A Tinkerton Half-Elf

9. - Top - End - #9

Yeah, gnome, because orcs are smelly.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Dragon, of course! WHat else did you expect!

What, they are not listed? Doesnt matter, Silver Dragons have shapeshifting anyway. ;)

So you can call me "human", if you must....^^
    Last edited by GrayDeath; 2018-01-03 at 09:49 PM.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Human, we always win at the end of the story and we are the most balanced characters ;)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Spanish_Paladin View Post
    Human, we always win at the end of the story and we are the most balanced characters ;)
    Balanced?!

Typical Human privilege.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0255.html

Spoilered Stuff!
    Spoiler
    Show

Favourite Threads!

Random
    Spoiler
    Show

Nooo! I have fallen to being a mere halfling! Guess I'll....umm.....throw things....and bemoan my favored class.....

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Yes, being an Elf is by itself a significant flaw.
    ....how?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    toddler.

Sure, a long life is neat, but not when it means spending a long time growing up.
    Says you. I'm growing old far too fast. Plus, they enjoy the woods and the magics. Elven nation all the way!

The gnomes just don't strike me as high fantasy. Too steampunky. Meh on that.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidodese View Post

Sign me up for one elf.
    Ooh, hadn't considered that. And it seems like they have the best living situation overall.

But...twenty years in diapers.
    My pronouns are they/them.

Avatar courtesy of Elagune's OotS manga reinterpretation!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    ....how?

Says you. I'm growing old far too fast. Plus, they enjoy the woods and the magics. Elven nation all the way!
    Origin of PC's has an Elf indicate the long life isn't that good.

Plus
    *Slow levelling (Life literally crawls, however your intellect and patience isn't improved)
    *Puberty expanded to a hellish time period
    *Life repetition (Every conversation has been done. And will be done again and again and again ad nauseum)
    *Ears make a number of stylish hats uncomfortable, whilst failing to prevent fedora wearing
    Last edited by DemonRoach; 2018-01-04 at 11:56 PM.

Spoilered Stuff!
    Spoiler
    Show

Favourite Threads!

Random
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

Origin of PC's has an Elf indicate the long life isn't that good.

Plus
    *Slow levelling (Life literally crawls, however your intellect and patience isn't improved)
    *Puberty expanded to a hellish time period
    *Life repetition (Every conversation has been done. And will be done again and again and again ad nauseum)
    *Ears make a number of stylish hats uncomfortable, whilst failing to prevent fedora wearing
    One elf's opinion does not with heavily on my choice.

Plus
    *Slow leveling only for first level. After that, no different than other races if you adventure
    *I rather enjoyed my youth, and wouldn't mind that at all
    *The billions of people on the internet haven't been able to accomplish every conversation being done, I doubt a smaller amount of elves would. Unless you just hang out with boring people, but that's on you.
    *I'm fairly sure that elven tailors can work with their own biology.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

One elf's opinion does not with heavily on my choice.
    He's in a better position to have an informed view having hypothetically lived his life as said character :p

*Slow leveling only for first level. After that, no different than other races if you adventure
    If you level. Again, based on Origin of PC's, adventuring is a career path that many, explicitly based on an Elven perspective, don't actively pursue.
    You are unlikely to be an Elf now and people are formed of their memories and experiences, ergo it won't be Peelee the elf, it will be the reincarnated soul of Peelee who will be a unique and different individual as a member of said race.

To codify assumptions that argument makes, do you agree with:
    1. You are an average member of the race as presented in OOTS
    2. There is no memory of link with you as a poster
    3. The overwhelming odds are you are not one of the adventurers (Rations of NPC's to relevant characters is pretty large as evidenced by the Azure arc, assuming Elves are healthy and viable in a manner consistent with human nations)
    4. I've not had Lemon Tart and thus it I am bewildering uncertain on whether it is a suitable choice for consumption

If the position is you become an Elf with your current experience, knowledge and skills that it becomes a fanfic or alternate scenario proposition IMO.

*I rather enjoyed my youth, and wouldn't mind that at all
    Per the above, would be a different youth :-)
    I've hit middle age, come on life crisis!

*The billions of people on the internet haven't been able to accomplish every conversation being done, I doubt a smaller amount of elves would. Unless you just hang out with boring people, but that's on you.
    You don't have access to the internet, Sending being inefficient for the purpose. The limiting factor is a smaller environment and fewer people with fewer inputs that lead to this scenario.
    Plus I am influenced by rather enjoying the take on the Elf mindset presented by the Deverry Cycle

*I'm fairly sure that elven tailors can work with their own biology.
    It is, however, an extra barrier. The ability to work around it somewhat doesn't remove it as an additional limitation.

Spoilered Stuff!
    Spoiler
    Show

Favourite Threads!

Random
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Elves seems better than other races in OotS.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

He's in a better position to have an informed view having hypothetically lived his life as said character :p
    As much as any one person is not necessarily indicative of the overall perspective, yes.
    You are unlikely to be an Elf now and people are formed of their memories and experiences, ergo it won't be Peelee the elf, it will be the reincarnated soul of Peelee who will be a unique and different individual as a member of said race.
    Well that's just silly. That isn't asking if I would be an Elf (or other race), that is asking me to generate a completely different person of Elven (or any other) race. To which my new response would be, "what does it matter?"
    If the position is you become an Elf with your current experience, knowledge and skills that it becomes a fanfic or alternate scenario proposition IMO.
    I assumed that if I started life as the new race, it would by necessity not be my current experience, knowledge, and skills, but it would still be me. It would be the newborn Peelee, but a different race instead of human.
    You don't have access to the internet, Sending being inefficient for the purpose. The limiting factor is a smaller environment and fewer people with fewer inputs that lead to this scenario.
    Plus I am influenced by rather enjoying the take on the Elf mindset presented by the Deverry Cycle
    Let me rephrase: Tens of thousands of years, and humans have yet to have every conversation, even in small environments with fewer people. I just don't think it would happen.
    It is, however, an extra barrier. The ability to work around it somewhat doesn't remove it as an additional limitation.
    Not any more than humans having five fingers is an extra barrier to making gloves. Clothing designers design their clothing based on the standard biology. Elfen ears (or other parts) don't pose any hurdles to elfen designers that human ears (or other parts) pose to human designers.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-01-05 at 12:50 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Not any more than humans having five fingers is an extra barrier to making gloves. Clothing designers design their clothing based on the standard biology. Elfen ears (or other parts) don't pose any hurdles to elfen designers that human ears (or other parts) pose to human designers.
    *Has earth shattering realisation of how much more convenient having only three fingers would be*

Spoilered Stuff!
    Spoiler
    Show

Favourite Threads!

Random
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

I assumed that if I started life as the new race, it would by necessity not be my current experience, knowledge, and skills, but it would still be me. It would be the newborn Peelee, but a different race instead of human.
    Peelee the Elf? Peeleelf? Peelfee? Apple Peelee-ing?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    toddler.

Plus, I'm not much of a nature person.
    So yeah, sticking with the steampunk guys.
    Gnomes can live to be 500 years old, to an Elf's 750. Unless you're over 40 you're not even old enough to be an adventurer yet as a gnome.

Of course, this is all the more reason for me to pick gnome as well. Technology, hats, longevity... What's not to love?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Can I pick "Whatever Monster-San is?"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    Gnomes can live to be 500 years old, to an Elf's 750. Unless you're over 40 you're not even old enough to be an adventurer yet as a gnome.

Of course, this is all the more reason for me to pick gnome as well. Technology, hats, longevity... What's not to love?
    Well, those 250 years less should mean that I'm at least not a toddler anymore.
    And 40 is much closer than the 100 years a elf would need.
    Worst case it's back to school for a few years.
    Could be interesting judging by what we've seen of Tinkertown and its inhabitants.

Also, pretty much my reasoning on choosing gnomes.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I will pick the half-dragon centaur, which we last saw during the Familicide sp-*urk* XvX
    Last edited by KillingAScarab; 2018-01-08 at 10:37 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGirl

definitely gnomes. Then again I like steampunk.
    Minister of sarcasm and pragmatism of the Grayview fanclub.

No, none of us were altering the unimutable laws of physics. That would be wrong.

27. - Top - End - #27

Gnomes. They’re the race most likely to have the tech level to which I am currently accustomed.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Colossus in the Playground

Elfen ears (or other parts) don't pose any hurdles to elfen designers that human ears (or other parts) pose to human designers.
    Humans don't have ears.

For the thread-starting question: Elf. Long life, magic, and I'm just going to treat Vaarsuvius' moral standing as a statistical anomaly--in any event there's no shortage of equally racist humans.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Humans don't have ears.
    Crystals earrings certainly seem strange, then.

It's possible they are hidden under a fine layer of hair, similar to a bird's auricular feathers, why not.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Tinkertown strikes as the most novel, but there's a troubling volcano on the island. I would live there for the inventions but growing up, I'd want to spread out from the island. Navigating in and out seems like a pain in the butt.