Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Favorite spells from Xanathar's?

Quote Originally Posted by clash View Post
    So catnap isnt concentration. Does that mean a warlock can cast it on himself to short rest in 10 minutes instead of an hour?
    If he multi-classes into a class that can cast it, sure!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

* Danse Macabre looks like fun, especially against a large enemy force. Knock down the minions, then turn them into meat(or bone, I guess) shields.
    * Dragon's Breath is very cool, and I love the versatility of it, having a choice of damage types
    * Enemies Abound has lots of potential, especially due to its 120ft range. Sneaking up to a castle with a large guard contingent? Stop a ways out and cast it on the guard captain. I also love the idea someone mentioned about using Subtle Spell and casting it in the middle of a social situation.
    * Enervation, it's as if Vampiric Touch and Witch Bolt had a baby and fed it steroids. My Warlock Of The Raven Queen(from the UA) is gonna love this one. Use his bonus action for Spiritual Weapon to attack for 2d8, and his action to auto-drain 4d8 every turn? SOLD
    * Far Step, bounce around the battlefield, or use it to GTFO
    * Shadow Of Moil, yes. Just YES.
    * Soul Cage, trying to infiltrate the BBEG's castle and kill him? Kill one of the guards, trap his soul, and you have a source of emergency healing, emergency advantage on attacks, not to mention a source of information. And even more fun, assuming the guard has seen the BBEG's inner chambers, toss a sensor in there to get the lay of the land before busting in! This one has the potential to be lots of fun.
    * Thunder Step, higher-damage(and scaling, no less) Thunderclap plus Misty Step, AND the ability to take someone with you. That's a lot of value for one 3rd-level spell.

Besides those specifics, I was pleased to see multiple spells requiring Int saves in this new batch.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Sickening radiance seems like the most fun.

Invulnerability is useful and it amuses me how simple it is.

Shadow blade is excellent.

Honestly there are too many good ones to list.
    If I don't say that I'm shouting, please don't feel like I'm shouting at you.

4. - Top - End - #34

MindFlayer

Let's see:

- Toll the Dead (Ask not for whom the bell tolls . . .)

- Infestation (Probably not a good spell, but it fits one of my characters perfectly so I like it for that reason alone.)

- Zephyr Strike (Just a really nice spell.)

- Shadow Blade (I love the idea, my only complaint is that it doesn't work with Hex Warrior).

- Enervation (I love me some life-drain)

- Shadow of Moil (Great Flavour)

- Maddening Darkness ("You want to talk to my master? I'm sure he'd be delighted to speak with you, though the conversation may be a little *ahem* one-sided.")

- Soul Cage (My favourite part of this spell is when the paladin asks you what you're doing. )
    Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Surely there is no other reason why they would hire a charismatic and intelligent if scandalous infernal-blooded pretty boy to steal an high-ranking woman's clothes.
    “Plot” is what the DM does to amuse himself when the players aren’t talking.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zejety View Post
    I'm a big fan of dragon's breath. I just wish it could be twinned. T-T
    Anyway, it feels great to cast it on on a party member who are more tuned towards single-target damage, like a rogue. The flexible damage type is also cool.
    Wait, why can't Dragon's Breath be twinned? It only targets one creature and has a range of touch, not self.

Our party's sorcerer twins Dragon's Breath on two owl familiars pretty often, resulting in lots of strafing run shenanigans (and familiar death on a regular basis).

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaon View Post
    Wait, why can't Dragon's Breath be twinned? It only targets one creature and has a range of touch, not self.

Our party's sorcerer twins Dragon's Breath on two owl familiars pretty often, resulting in lots of strafing run shenanigans (and familiar death on a regular basis).
    OMG I soooo want to try that :)

7. - Top - End - #37
    Banned

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by clash View Post
    So catnap isnt concentration. Does that mean a warlock can cast it on himself to short rest in 10 minutes instead of an hour?
    If you have time to take ten minutes, you have time to take an hour. It's a waste.
    Last edited by Vaz; 2018-01-04 at 12:47 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    If you have time to take ten minutes, you have time to take an hour. It's a waste.
    Not always. It is a niche corner-case Spell, but not entirely a waste

9. - Top - End - #39
    Banned

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Naanomi View Post
    Not always. It is a niche corner-case Spell, but not entirely a waste
    I'd be surprised if a DM would leave you with a chance for Catnap to be used, but not a full rest. If it's time sensitive, it's time sensitive, and 10 minutes is either everything, or nothing.

10. - Top - End - #40

Shocked nobody has mentioned my favorite. Mental Prison

If they save (intelligence save) they take 5d10 damage. On a failed save they take 5d10 damage and are effectively blind, deafened and restrained. If they make an effort to escape, they take 10d10 damage. Mind you this is all pyschic damage, which few creatures are resistant too.
    Last edited by hellgrammite; 2018-01-04 at 02:13 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd be surprised if a DM would leave you with a chance for Catnap to be used, but not a full rest. If it's time sensitive, it's time sensitive, and 10 minutes is either everything, or nothing.
    Well, I roll random encounters every in-game hour, so it circumvents that. Moreover, if the party has a time limit, they can use it to cut 5/6 of their rest time.
    I'm sorry, everyone, but I am rather sick right now and will not be posting regularly.

Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

REAL mages speak Modron!
    My Unfortunately Long Signature ™

Hey Nexusians! Visit Starside!

My musings will be in italics

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    "In the Eyes of the Great Beyond, you are constrained to each other's embrace until the day you perish"
    "Hey, that sounded more like a curse than a wedding"
    *Telepathically* Your mortal customs are foreign to me. Is there a difference?
    Could I, perhaps, sig this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    "In the Eyes of the Great Beyond, you are constrained to each other's embrace until the day you perish"
    "Hey, that sounded more like a curse than a wedding" Your mortal customs are foreign to me. Is there a difference?
    Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    REAL mages speak Modron!
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    If I ever tried to cast animate dead or conjure animals at my table, my DM would reveal an AK47 and kill everyone in the room and then himself.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Barbarian in the Playground

Tweet by Crawford, to many people's surprise. Apparently the "must be incapable to target more than one creature" clause includes the creatures you breath on.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Banned

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Well, I roll random encounters every in-game hour, so it circumvents that. Moreover, if the party has a time limit, they can use it to cut 5/6 of their rest time.
    Ew. No thanks.

15. - Top - End - #45

ClericGuy

Ew. No thanks.
    Xan's random encounters are hella good, what makes you go "ew"? Just asking, because I love the concept of random encounters.
    English isn't my first language, so I will likely express myself poorly.
    Please assume that I'm arguing in good faith, and that I mean no offense to anybody.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

I had this out with JC on Twitter.

Basically, because it can eventually target more than one creature, it doesn't qualify.

Which.... I mean, it really just sounds like they forgot about the Metamagic aspect of that spell and panicked when I brought it up. Honestly, to stretch it that far, which I've never heard the designers do before, seems pretty BS to me.

Though casting it on a familiar is still amazingly hilarious.

TL;DR
    Even though the casting of the spell targets one creature, the action you can do with it means it targets more than one creature, thus failing to qualify for Twinned.

17. - Top - End - #47

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    I had this out with JC on Twitter.

Basically, because it can eventually target more than one creature, it doesn't qualify.

Which.... I mean, it really just sounds like they forgot about the Metamagic aspect of that spell and panicked when I brought it up. Honestly, to stretch it that far, which I've never heard the designers do before, seems pretty BS to me.

Though casting it on a familiar is still amazingly hilarious.

TL;DR
    Even though the casting of the spell targets one creature, the action you can do with it means it targets more than one creature, thus failing to qualify for Twinned.
    I agree with many that this is sloppy reasoning by JC. By that logic, Ice Knife shouldn’t be twinned either.
    The spell as it is designed is a buff spell that grants a target a special attack and requires concentration to maintain. It should be completely in the Sorceror’s wheelhouse to Twin that spell.

I guess there is so mich debate on this spell because it is a great spell for anyone who has access to it.

Back on topic:

Some of my top picks are:

Cause Fear: it’s very efficient crowd control
    Sickening Radiance: Good damage type for a Wizard and a great rider effect
    Wall of Light: Very 80’s metal. You can cast it in the air and I think with a little creativity you could really shut down or severely disrupt a group of enemies. The blasting is a bonus.
    Synaptic Static: Great damage type again, and another really good rider
    Psychic Scream: I have yet to reach 9th level, but I will be very tempted to grab this one just because of it’s cinematic nature.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Banned

Devil

Tbh, no spell can be twinned using the errata.

Twinned Spell (p. 102). To be eligible for Twinned Spell, a spell must be incapable of targeting more than one creature at the spell’s current level.
    All spells that are eligible for twinning are now capable of targeting more than one creature, ergo making the ineligible for Twinned Spell. It's like how 3.5 introduced a rule saying you had to have the prerequisites at all times, even after the fact of having taken a prerequisite; like the Dragon Disciple, which gave you the half dragon template (giving you the Dragon-type); the Dragon Disciple required you to be non-Dragon type.

Like, these mistakes are nearly 15 years old.

19. - Top - End - #49

By that logic, Ice Knife shouldn’t be twinned either.
    Funny that you'd say that...
    https://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/04/11...-on-ice-knife/

Edit: I agree with jaappleton that it seems like they forgot to care about twinnability when writing the spell and now must justify disallowing the combination.
    The stuff that Dragon's breath does (giving you a new action you can use to deal damage) usuallyhas a range of 'self' and is therefore not twinnable. I appreciate that the designers made this one a buff spell but I can see why they wouldn't want it to be twinnable. But there's no crystal clear justification in the rules IMO.
    Last edited by Zejety; 2018-01-05 at 09:44 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    TL;DR
    I don't mean to criticize anyone when I say: this is just one possible ruling. What matters is what your DM thinks.
    Breaking BM: Revised - an updated look at the beast-mounted halfling ranger based on the Revised Ranger: Beast Conclave.

21. - Top - End - #51

NecromancerGuy

All spells that are eligible for twinning are now capable of targeting more than one creature, ergo making the ineligible for Twinned Spell.
    *shrug* This seems like it's taken care of by Specific vs General. Generally, a second level casting of hold person only targets one person but Twinned Spell specifically allows it to target a second person. The language on the errata could be cleaned up by adding "prior to using the Twinned Spell Metamagic option," but I don't think it is necessary.

The bigger issue to me is a ruling like this for dragon's breath raises serious implications regarding the original language of Twinned Spell:

"When you cast a spell that targets only one creature and doesn't have a range of self..."

So, would enemies abound count? The spell only affects a single target normally, but it causes that target to take actions against targets chosen "at random from among the creatures it can see within the range of the attack, spell, or other ability it's using." The enchanted creature could potentially affect more than one other creature. To be consistent with the ruling on dragon's breath, enemies abound should also not be eligible for twinning.

What about command or greater invisibility or dominate person?

Needless to say, I don't see my table applying Twinned Spell's restrictions this way. It isn't RAW, it isn't RAF, and it is very confusing as RAI.
    Last edited by Pharaon; 2018-01-05 at 01:31 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zejety View Post
    Tweet by Crawford, to many people's surprise. Apparently the "must be incapable to target more than one creature" clause includes the creatures you breath on.
    By that logic, Haste cannot be twinned, since it can be used to stab multiple people multiple times. (Edit: yeah, what Vaz said.)

Crawford follows the Sage Advice tradition of giving advice which is best ignored. It's been like that since Skip Williams' tenure as the Sage. Not to say that Crawford is never right, but he's never right about stuff that a good DM wouldn't have already been right about, and when he's wrong he just creates problems, so it's better to just pretend he doesn't exist.

I.e. Crawford is never insightful.
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2018-01-05 at 02:11 PM.
    OD&D 1st-5th printings - 1st Edition
    OD&D 6th printing - 2nd Edition
    Holmes with hobbits - 3rd Edition
    Holmes without hobbits - 4th Edition
    BX - 5th Edition
    OAD&D - 6th Edition
    BECMI - 7th Edition
    Rules Cyclopedia - 8th Edition
    OAD&D 2nd version - 9th Edition
    2E AD&D 1st version - 10th Edition
    2E AD&D 2nd version - 11th Edition
    3E AD&D renamed 3E D&D - 12th Editon aka TETSNBN
    3.5E D&D - 13th Edition aka TETSNBN II aka MBSPHD
    ~Tgamemaster1975

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CircleOfTheRock View Post
    Could I, perhaps, sig this?
    By all means!
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Another spell, that I finally got to use the other night, that I absolutely love is holy weapon. Holy weapons, Batman! That's a great spell.

25. - Top - End - #55

RedWizardGuy

I like Maximilian's earthen grasp and Mind Spike, for their nice support niche.

Earthen Grasp would make nice spell for a Lore Bard - MEG's Strenght save restraining targets can stop monks and thieves, and still annoy casters (and if you fight against npc's, that's great). And since it's a strenght ability check to escape, costing an action, I can use my cutting words to impose a penalty their rolls, while my party beats the target with advantage. I'd take it (and Aura of Vitality), for my status effect spamming Lore bard.

Mind Spike is a spell for when you really, really want to make sure to catch a target, and the damage is comparable with Shatter (whose AOE effect isn't so much useful by level 6 anyways) - and it's nice to go from a loud bang "I AM ATTACKING!" grenade spell to a silent " I gotcha!" tracker snipe on the caster whose concentration I'm trying to break, so when he later turns invisible or Dimensional Doors away I'm a step ahead. Give me a scroll or two of this one please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Now you have me picturing someone using a Pretentious Fantasy Sword of Destiny for mundane tasks.

"It is called Chirodin, Blade of Eternity! It was forged in the heart of the sun by the god Dathir, using the moon as a hammer and the corpse of Turtaris, Mother of All Dragons, as an anvil. No physical barrier can divert its blow, for it always goes exactly where its wielder wills it. So, as you can imagine, it cuts simply amazing flank steaks!"