New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGirl

Default [WHFRP 2Ed] Help to Create New Character

Welp, after my squire getting ulric'd by a skaven several times in a row until I got depleted on fate points and got obliterated, I am in the prospect of creating a new character.

The DM gave me a little leeway and I can start with a selected completed career and 225 exp points, so I don't suck next to my party members. I have only 10 gold crowns and noble is not allowed as career. Such a lack of starting tresaure is a little daunting, specially mid-campaign, but I guess PC's death must have some penalties...

We are playing second edition. My rolled stats are something like 31WS, 37 BS, 25 S, 40 T, 39 Ag, 37 Int, 32 WP, 44 Fellowship. My party members are an apprentice mage and an outrider. I certainly don't know what will happen with the complete mail armor I managed to assemble with so much work with my squire, but the outrider is thinking about maybe use it to become the new party tank. We all are humans, btw.

With all this in context, I don't certainly know what class to pick. We certainly have a heavy lack of subterfuge and social skills, but a combatant adept character is a must with al the violent encounters the DM throw at us. What career would suffice better those requirements?

In addition, how does career switching really works? I mean, I understand you must meet some requeriments and that you need to spend xp for the skills and perks. But, what about the stats bonus? If I go (for example) from a career with +10 % WS, to another career with +10 % WS, can I potentially get a +20 % WS? Or do I get stuck in 10 % WS and need to spend the exp somewhere else in order to finish the new career?
    Last edited by Jarred Stone; 2018-01-02 at 07:16 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Help to Create New Character and Career Switching Question

Be best if you say which Edition of Warhammer FRP you are playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Stone View Post

In addition, how does career switching really works? I mean, I understand you must meet some requeriments and that you need to spend xp for the skills and perks. But, what about the stats bonus? If I go (for example) from a career with +10 % WS, to another career with +10 % WS, can I potentially get a +20 % WS? Or do I get stuck in 10 % WS and need to spend the exp somewhere else in order to finish the new career?
    Bolded part is right. To improve your WS above 10% you need to find a career that goes above +10%
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGirl

Default Re: Help to Create New Character and Career Switching Question

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    Be best if you say which Edition of Warhammer FRP you are playing.

Bolded part is right. To improve your WS above 10% you need to find a career that goes above +10%

After some time without starting a thread in these forums, I forgot tags doesn't appear. We are playing second edition. I am going to edit the Op right now.

Thanks a lot for explaining my doubts about career switching, btw ^^

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: [WHFRP 2Ed] Help to Create New Character

Also, don't forget that while you have to take all the skills and talents in a career before advancing to another one, if a career offers a choice of talents/skills, you only have to buy one, and if you already have a skill, you don't need to buy it again just because it's part of a career. Page 28 of the rulebook explains all this quite well (in case you needed a page reference).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Welp, after my squire getting ulric'd by a skaven several times in a row until I got depleted on fate points and got obliterated, I am in the prospect of creating a new character.
    Something just occurred to me but I think your G.M. is using Fate Points incorrectly. Which would make this whole argument moot.

The idea with Fate Points is not that if you're in a fight with an opponent and he's worn down your wounds to zero and then you take a lethal hit, you ignore it and are still in the situation where you're facing an opponent on zero wounds. And so pretty inevitably going to die with his next blow.
    When you spend a Fate Point it gets you out of the situation but leaves you still fairly screwed over. In the above example, rather than dying your character would, for example, be knocked unconscious by the killing blow and wake up some time later having been stripped of gear by your victorious opponent.

The examples of using Fate Points on p198 of the Core Book specifically use opponent kills you, spend Fate Point, opponent kills you again as the way you DON'T use Fate Points in combat
    Last edited by comicshorse; 2018-01-02 at 08:40 AM.
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm assuming these are in different fights, right? Because if this was the same fight, the GM was definitetly using Fate Points wrong. Once you spend a Fate Point to survive, you're out of the fight (or scene) and protected until the fight (or scene) is over - they're basically plot armour that still lets you and your party suck up the consequences of someone getting knocked out of the fight.

The DM gave me a little leeway and I can start with a selected completed career and 225 exp points, so I don't suck next to my party members. I have only 10 gold crowns and noble is not allowed as career. Such a lack of starting tresaure is a little daunting, specially mid-campaign, but I guess PC's death must have some penalties...
    ...Why does it need to have some penalties? You've just lost your character, I'm pretty sure that's penalty enough. There's no reason for you to start with less treasure and (by the sound of it) less experience than the rest of the party. It just makes it more likely your new character will die, causing you to get stuck in an endless loop of being unable to survive and taking increasing penalties from being unable to survive because of the penalties you got from not being able to survive.

Unless the GM is also giving you the trappings from both careers free? Which is still a bit mean, but better than getting screwed over forever. Especially since 2d10gc isn't enough to buy trappings for most Advanced careers.

[quote]We are playing second edition. My rolled stats are something like 31WS, 37 BS, 25 S, 40 T, 39 Ag, 37 Int, 32 WP, 44 Fellowship. My party members are an apprentice mage and an outrider. I certainly don't know what will happen with the complete mail armor I managed to assemble with so much work with my squire, but the outrider is thinking about maybe use it to become the new party tank. We all are humans, btw.

With all this in context, I don't certainly know what class to pick. We certainly have a heavy lack of subterfuge and social skills, but a combatant adept character is a must with al the violent encounters the DM throw at us. What career would suffice better those requirements?[quote]

...I'd have said Noble, if it weren't already banned for some reason. Go in to Pistolier from there, and you have a nice talky, fighty character who uses most of the stats you got high scores in.

Um. I dunno. Rogue heading into Rapscallion, maybe?

You need to get the Trappings for your desired career. You need to complete your old career, which means purchasing every skill, talent and characteristic advance your career offers. Then you spend 100xp to switch to a new career that's on your list of Exits for your current career, or any past career you've completed.

As for characteristic advances; they overlap rather than stack. So if you have +10% WS in one career and then go to another with +10% WS, you can't increase it. You'd need to move to a career with +15% (or higher) before you could buy another advance.

...Actually, you don't need to buy every advance; you just need to have taken them already. But whatever. You can also, at any time, leave your current career for another Basic career even if it's not an Exit for you. It costs 200xp, but you can never complete the career you abandoned or use any of its exits, or, I think, the exits of careers you had before it.

Does that make sense?
    Amazing Banshee avatar by Strawberries. Many, many thanks.