New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Caster level bonus

I have a class concept that I am working on, but I want to give it an ability that I am unsure of the scope of.

Basically, in this class, you'd cast mostly evocation-like spells and healing spells. The evocation spells exclusively evoke positive energy. These would be the only 'attack' spells you can do, and are meant more for healing. Obviously, you'd be murderous against Undead, but that is largely it.

The class feature I want to add is a caster level boost - each level of this base class counts as 1.5 caster levels; so at level 2 you be caster level 3, caster level 15 at level 10, and caster level 30 at level 20.

I don't really know how big of a deal this is, but 10 bonus caster levels seems like a lot. It would help you heal allies with SR without them lowering it & help you destroy undead sorcerers, but paired with the extremely limited casting I still think it might be OK.

Do you guys think that this would be better as a 1/3rd or 1/4th bonus instead of 1/2?

There are other features, mostly about casting heal spells better & having lots of HP.

Note: The 'positive energy evocation' will be taking a few select spells, such as fireball, scorching ray, lightning bolt, etc, stripping their energy descriptor, and having them do dice of positive energy instead.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Caster level bonus

One thing to note is that this might allow early-entry shenanigans for feats and prestige classes with a minimum caster level, depending on how the bonus is worded.

Something that might be helpful is a flat +5 caster level bonus, and removing the CL caps for conjuration (healing) spells e.g. cure light wounds currently restores 1d8 + CL hp (maximum 1d8 +5), your class could remove that cap so that at CL 20 it would restore 1d8 +20 hp.

I'd also take a look at the Healer class; it's generally regarded as underpowered/underwhelming to play but maybe you could see where it went wrong and improve on it.