1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Sub class or try and build a class, DM advice.

I am preparing to start a new campaign with a few of my regular players. We have decided to try and stream it and see if we can get any kind of traction or following, wishful thinking.

With that sad I have had a home brewed subclass for my wife to play lingering around for the past year or so, and I was looking to see about either smoothing out its problems or turning it into a full class on its own.

The class is based of being a dragon tamer, basic lore behind it is the creators of the class saw this great dragon war, saw the power dragons held and began capturing young and breeding them into tame able brutes that can be easily controlled and lose their natural intelegence.

As of now I'm running it as a druid subclass, and she is giving up her wild shaping with it as well. I feel it being a full cast might be a little much, but this is what I am running with.

Level 2 - egg hatches; small size dragon.
    *8 hp, or 4xdruid level.
    *12 ac, or 10+prof bonus.
    Spd- 30

Breath- per long rest - 3d6.
    Claw - d4+prof
    Bite - d6+prof.

Then I gave her the ability to cast enlarge/r educe on it by use of wild shape.

Then level 6 it turns to ac medium dragon, hp/ac/Spd and damage all increase. And level 14 to a large size dragon.

She also can expel spell slots to heal it for 1d6 per slot.

I'm just not sure if this is to much. The sub class really only gets these abilities then the baseline druid stuff.

Help please!!!!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Sub class or try and build a class, DM advice.

Quote Originally Posted by SMac8988 View Post
    As of now I'm running it as a druid subclass, and she is giving up her wild shaping with it as well. I feel it being a full cast might be a little much, but this is what I am running with.

Level 2 - egg hatches; small size dragon.
    *8 hp, or 4xdruid level.
    *12 ac, or 10+prof bonus.
    Spd- 30

Breath- per long rest - 3d6.
    Claw - d4+prof
    Bite - d6+prof.

Then I gave her the ability to cast enlarge/r educe on it by use of wild shape.

Then level 6 it turns to ac medium dragon, hp/ac/Spd and damage all increase. And level 14 to a large size dragon.

She also can expel spell slots to heal it for 1d6 per slot.

I'm just not sure if this is to much. The sub class really only gets these abilities then the baseline druid stuff.

Help please!!!!
    If you're worried about full casting being too much and giving up Wild Shape, perhaps you ought to consider making it a ranger subclass instead of druid, and base it on the Beastmaster archetype.
    "No, she's already given her epic one-liner! We're committed now!"

3. - Top - End - #3

BarbarianGuy

First, thanks for the response! :)

I've considered that.

My concern would be that the ranger is an up front foghter, and is built to do so, and my goal would be to have the dragon fight and the pc sit back.

4. - Top - End - #4

ClericGuy

I believe there are a ton of 5e ports of the pathfinder Summoner Class. I would take a look at those. If her pet dies (which she could make dragony & call it a dragon spirit) she can just resummon it.
    Live in Fear, Die Often: Dak
    Boss Fight!: Rolf

5. - Top - End - #5

NecromancerGuy

I'd probably reduce the damage on the breath weapon to be equal to the dragonborn's at level 2. Obviously don't scale it like the dragonborn's breath weapon, thats already bad and should be more.

If you don't want fullcasting then i'm not sure where to put the subclass. Maybe warlock if you don't consider that a fullcaster. Make it a Patron and you get your dragon buddy at level 1. Make the expanded spell list more to your liking.

If not then just try out fullcasting. Druid should be fine without wildshape and dragon pet in place. Druid is a chassis to work with for this. Alternatively try having it a proper subclass (don't get rid of wildshape) and test that out first. Then test for just making it an alternative class feature switching out wildshape but allowing land or dream or shepherd druid.

6. - Top - End - #6

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mortis_Elrod View Post
    I'd probably reduce the damage on the breath weapon to be equal to the dragonborn's at level 2. Obviously don't scale it like the dragonborn's breath weapon, thats already bad and should be more.

If you don't want fullcasting then i'm not sure where to put the subclass. Maybe warlock if you don't consider that a fullcaster. Make it a Patron and you get your dragon buddy at level 1. Make the expanded spell list more to your liking.

If not then just try out fullcasting. Druid should be fine without wildshape and dragon pet in place. Druid is a chassis to work with for this. Alternatively try having it a proper subclass (don't get rid of wildshape) and test that out first. Then test for just making it an alternative class feature switching out wildshape but allowing land or dream or shepherd druid.
    I agree with the breath, I think that is a good fix. Do you think druid would be to powerful of a base? I know the player wouldn't abuse it, but just a general concern.

7. - Top - End - #7

DruidGuy

First, thanks for the response! :)

I've considered that.

My concern would be that the ranger is an up front foghter, and is built to do so, and my goal would be to have the dragon fight and the pc sit back.
    The Ranger isn't necessarily an up front fighter. Rangers are very skilled archers and get some great spells to boost that (hunter's mark and volley for example). I agree with the above statement, that you re-fluff/modify the UA Revised Ranger Beastmaster slightly. Actually in looking at it again, there is literally nothing in the revised ranger beastmaster that implies melee.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnightJin View Post
    Play a Tabaxi caster with Gust, use the cantrips to knock stuff off of tables.
    I'm pretty sure my next character will be a Tabaxi Arcane Tricker Rogue with Gust and mage hand legerdemain specifically for this.

8. - Top - End - #8

NecromancerGuy

I agree with the breath, I think that is a good fix. Do you think druid would be to powerful of a base? I know the player wouldn't abuse it, but just a general concern.
    Yeah it could. Druids donít get much in terms of class features so subclass choice matters, itís the only thing that stands out. Base Druid is rather stale, you might notice a lot of people tend to go Moon Druid over Land. Itís because Wildshape is the only notable feature. When Shepherd came out in Xans people really liked it, probably because itís good and new and different.

Dragon Tamer Druid isnít a bad idea when looked like that. Wildshape is useful but not very strong on anyone not a moon Druid. So I doubt you need to take that away, and if you do just make dragon taming the baseclass feature instead of Wildshape, allowing for more options like Dreams, Shepherd, and Land.

Anyway do one of these before making a new class. Designing another subclass would just be more work than needed in the end

9. - Top - End - #9

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Madfellow View Post
    If you're worried about full casting being too much and giving up Wild Shape, perhaps you ought to consider making it a ranger subclass instead of druid, and base it on the Beastmaster archetype.
    This was going to be my suggestion. More specifically, base it on the Revised Ranger UA.

I've considered that.

The Ranger is most definitely not only a front liner. There's plenty of ranged support for a Ranger. Arguably more support for ranged than melee, even.

Give it a shot. Worst thing that happens is you get some practice writing homebrew and have to go a different route. Best case, you find something that works truly well.