New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default alternate ways to be a beastmaster

the general concensus is that beastmaster sucks, which is a shame as I would love to play a character with a usable pet.

is there any other ways to have a useful combat companion? I have this really unique idea of a dual wielding drow with panther companion (jk). I have tried beastmaster ranger and just feel so far behind the curve it isn't fun. and have to RP grieving for my pet and finding a new one every time an enemy combatant throws it so much as a sideways glance.
    Last edited by Camman1984; 2018-01-08 at 09:21 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: alternate ways to be a beastmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Camman1984 View Post
    the general concensus is that beastmaster sucks, which is a shame as I would love to play a character with a usable pet.

is there any other ways to have a useful combat companion? I have this really unique idea of a dual wielding drone with panther companion (jk). I have tried beastmaster ranger and just feel so far behind the curve it isn't fun. and have to RP grieving for my pet and finding a new one every time an enemy combatant throws it so much as a sideways glance.
    Are you allowed the UA Revised Ranger Beastmaster? That one is very different, and looks WAY more fun.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Find Steed is probably your best bet for official published material.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Do you have a friend willing to play a moon druid? Or, do you have a friend willing to play a beast PC and a DM willing to allow that and support it with items like Insignia of the Claw? This thread needs more context.
    Breaking BM: Revised - an updated look at the beast-mounted halfling ranger based on the Revised Ranger: Beast Conclave.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

is there any other ways to have a useful combat companion? I have this really unique idea of a dual wielding drow with panther companion (jk). I have tried beastmaster ranger and just feel so far behind the curve it isn't fun. and have to RP grieving for my pet and finding a new one every time an enemy combatant throws it so much as a sideways glance.
    The general consensus is wrong. Beastmaster does not suck and Beastmaster is not behind the curve.
    Beastmaster simply feels wonky because of strange mechanics.
    The revised version fixed that problem, in addition to adding some power. If you can use the Revised Ranger Beastmaster, you'll be just fine.

If DM's Guild stuff is allowed, there's a Druid subclass (which was featured by Wizards) called Circle of the Beast, that feels very similar, and is mostly what the Revised Beastmaster's beast was altered to function like. WotC took that DM's Guild Druid beast subclass and used it as inspiration for the Revised Ranger's beast subclass. After the Revised Ranger was released, Circle of the Beast then added an option to use those rules outright with the subclass.
    Last edited by DivisibleByZero; 2018-01-08 at 12:13 PM.
    If you quote me and ask me questions,
    and I continue to not respond,
    it's probably because I have
    you on my Ignore list.
    Congratulations.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Simple solution, play a 5th level Druid, cast conjure animals.
    Last edited by Garfunion; 2018-01-08 at 12:04 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

the revised ranger does look good, might give that a try if my dm allows

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Lore bard, use magical secrets to get find steed and find greater steed faster than Paladin. They also can share spells for some terrifying synergy. Heck, throw in 3 levels of warlock or one of wizard for a familiar on top.

If your party can snag a ring of spell storing, you can set up everyone with over the top mounts and familiars as well.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

the revised ranger does look good, might give that a try if my dm allows
    Revised Ranger with Beast Conclave has a lot going for it. There's a build in my signature that uses it. Regarding Drizzle, I thought it was funny that, because revised BM doesn't get extra attack, TWF is actually the best style for them.

Wolf is overall the best companion in my estimation due to free save-or-prone and flanking advantage. If the wolf attacks just before you do, or between your attacks with its reaction at level 5, there's a good chance it can provide advantage on your attacks as well. And there's no size limit to what the wolf can knock down by RAW.

Anyway, just my two cents. I've seen revised ranger in a campaign and it's overall balanced, potentially very good if you fight Favored Enemies a lot and your DM lets you and your beast share advantage instead of going separately.
    Breaking BM: Revised - an updated look at the beast-mounted halfling ranger based on the Revised Ranger: Beast Conclave.