New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Creating new gods for Pyria - all ideas and suggestions welcome.

Hello again everyone! Seems my noggin' keeps chugging through ideas and crunching data for my homebrew world (found here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ideas-welcome) ). After going through a ton of dice rolls and consulting a bunch of esoteric tables I generated myself, the following domains came up for possible future gods. Many of them came out exactly as you'd expect but there were a bunch of combinations that REALLY threw me for a loop! Check the one at the bottom to see what I mean. So I thought, instead of keeping these to myself, I should share them with the community. I'll be doing some brainstorming on each one but these combinations are sure to get some of you thinking of new deities for your own games as well. -and yes, I am aware some of these are mixed up pathfinder and Faerun domains

I'm looking forward to seeing what we come up with! Personally, I'm going to try to avoid typecasting some of these and make something blatantly Chaotic Good or Neutral Evil inverted just to make them more interesting. No real format expected and its perfectly fine to switch one or two domains around, or even go with something not on the list at all. Forgotten and dead gods are fine too!

Weather Destruction Trickery
    Chaos Tactics War*
    Planning Destiny Dream Trickery
    Endurance Feast Purification
    Balance Community Truth Law
    Fire Liberation Healing Life
    Artifice City Commerce Pain
    Courage Thirst Hunger Strength
    Time Fate Ruins
    Death Fey Necromancy Corruption Knowledge
    Dragon Domination Sky Glory Storm
    Passion Repose Undeath Time
    Animal, Plant, Balance, Retribution, Earth
    Sun Family Wealth Mind Protection
    Moon Tyranny War Force Domination
    Madness Sand Transformation Mysticism
    Time Chaos Rune Portal
    Vermin Pestilence Slime Cavern
    Lust Law Charm Inquisition Greed
    Illusion Joy Hatred Art Competition
    Good Tyranny Darkness Shadow Retribution

*Possibly cliche

Unused Domains thus far:
    Bestial Magic Pleasure Metal Creation Decay Spells Winter Water Ice Void
    Last edited by Hazeeb; 2018-01-07 at 11:10 AM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Pryia homebrew world. Come look, ask questions and find your path to glory!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Creating new gods for Pyria - all ideas and suggestions welcome.

fair warning, I got a little flowery in my use of language -_-. But this was fun! I might do some more. I have great idea for the Moon Tyranny and Good Tyranny gods. Anyway, Enjoy Eystriss and Nonna!

Eystriss: [Passion, Repose, Undeath, Time]
    Dollmaker, Heartless Lover, The Eternal, The Patroness, Star-Painter
    Spoiler: Eystriss
    Show
    Great artists and great lovers always die before there time. If you have so much of a passion, there is never enough time to feel it. This is the origin of Eystriss, a Goddess of Liches and of love. Some say that her origins began as a mortal artist, divinely inspired and gifted. There are stories from Eystriss in the dawn of days, when the gods were shaping the world. Eystriss took on her the task to paint the night sky, vowing to create a work of art of unparalleled beauty. As she worked, carefully placing star after star in the heavens, she mocked the gods working below her on Pyria, and the clumsy, uncouth landscapes they were creating. No, no one would ever find a flaw in her work, she assured them.

For 40 years she toiled, without eat, drink or sleep, obsessed with the ever more intricate patterns she places upon heaven’s firmament. On the final night, Nonna, maternal even in those primordial days, asked her if she needed any help, or if she would just drink something, Eystriss looked so parched and dry and terrible.

But Eystriss scoffed at the offer, claiming Nonna was just trying to distract her out of jealousy. The Queen of Spice clearly just wanted her to make a mistake so there was a blemish on her perfect night sky. After all, what had Nonna even created? Vulgar shining gold, prickly grasses and perishing plants.

Now Nonna, like any matron, did not take kindly to being mocked, but she held her tongue and flew back east to her cedarwood palace and went to forge on a work of art of her own.

Eystriss hardly took notice, but focused on finishing the tapestry of the stars. All the other gods had assembled and were looking up at the sky, exclaiming in awe at the beauty there. Eystriss filled with pride hearing that, and placing the final stars, and let herself fall backwards to Pyria, being both shocked an overwhelmed by the full glory of her work. Parched and exhausted she landed emits the assembled gods, who all congratulated her on her work, and she smiled at them, but she had worked to hard! She crumbled to the ground, and lay there dying, but contend, staring up at the mosaic of the starry sky.
    She was at peace to die then and there, examining her work one last time, but then she noticed a terrible thing. Something was happening to the sky in the east! The dark blue was paling there, turning first lapis lazuli, then cerulean, then jade, while the diamond stars were flickering, less and less visible. Something approached over the edge of the horizon, and with lanced of bronze, and gold and platinum pierced the sky, and knocked the diamond stars out of place!

It was a golden chariot, forged by Nonna in that cedarwood palace far in the east. It was drawn by two lions with the wings of swans, and it was steered by two of her sons, spearing the stars from the sky. The Sun, because that was it was, the thing that Nonna, Dawn bringer, had created to learn the proud Eystriss a lesson, arched across the sky, emptying it of stars and painting it a black, featureless azure.

Eystriss, laying dying all through this, her heart being broken by the destruction of her art. She was dying, her body spend by lack of sustenance and rest and water. But her spirit was rekindled, not out of spite, like Nonnas sun was, but with dedication to her art. She tore out her own heart, having no use for it any more as a broken thing. She flew back into the sky, furthest away from the chariot, and began placing back the stars in the dark firmament, working as quick as she could. Later, when Nonna discovered what she has done, she sends her sons back into the sky to knock the stars out again. And Faithfully, Eystriss takes to the sky to replace them, and so they still do to this day, night after day after night after day.

Eystriss, as a goddess, values two things in her followers: Passion and Dedication. Commit fully to whatever you are doing, and strive to be as good at it as you can be. Lovers and artists tend be drawn to her for worship, as well as many types of sentient undead. Her teachings are not as negative against undead as most gods are, and several types of sentient undead even claim she had a hand in their origin. She is one of the more active gods, taking interest in artists and their work, and even taking mortal lovers from time to time.

Eystriss also holds dominion over time. Her starry sky allows people to tell night, month, year and age apart. She is also known to lend people more time if they need it, and is associated with beings that are timeless as well, like sentient undead. She is seen by some as the first lich, her removed broken heart being the first phylactery. Undeath is also viewed by her as a viable way to continue your passion, be in love with each other forever, or finish your magnum opus in unlife.
    Eystriss is depicted as a gaunt woman in a gown of starlight, and hair as dark as the night sky. Her symbol is a broken heart filled colored in with a starry void. Her favored weapon is the net, and her portfolio includes the domains: Passion Repose Undeath and Time

Nonna, [Sun Family Wealth Mind Protection]
    Dawnbringer, Grandmother Coin, Winking Eye of Dawn, Lady of Spice, Queen of Merchants, Nanny Storyteller.
    Spoiler: Nonna
    Show
    Nonna as a goddess plays a role in many of the stories and myths of the world. Sometimes as a trickster, a sage guide or fierce commander, but always as an old lady, and rarely as the actor or the aggressor herself. She is a cerebral god, spurring others to action with advice, riddles, judgements or antics. She heads large family of divine or semidivine beings, that fill her mythical palace of the dawn in the far east.

She is the creator of the Sun, which is send forth from her palace every dawn, and through that she grants the protection that daylight offers, as well as the wealth of the crops and commerce. She is a protective matriarch, and people pray to her to bless there home and hearth, city, or trip. If she is pleased with the offers you brought her, she might send out some of her angelic children to watch over you, and intervene if any harm would come to you.

She is associated with precious metals, grains and crops and spices. While her temples are many, wealthy and powerful, the bulk of her worship happens at peoples’ home. People offer food or spices over dinner, and share stories of her as thanks to the blessings she has given to the family. She is a very approachable god, and is widely worshipped on a small scale.

However, when you get deeper into her organized religion and teachings, worship in her changes drastically. Her monks live in relative poverty, meditating on the true meaning of wealth and contentment, and how this can be found internally. The many tales the common folk share for amusements are taken apart as parables, searching for the lessons about internal enrichment that Nonna has hidden in there.

Nonna is portrayed as dark-skinned, wrinkled old woman. She always is shown with a smile on her face and with some symbol of wealth, like jewelry, bundles of grain or spiced incense. Her favored weapon is the lance and her domains include: Sun Family Wealth Mind Protection
    LGBTA+itP
    I'm dyslectic and English is not my first language, so I'll probably make a few spelling errors.
    the Third god of Ghysa, the Rainbow Prince(ss) (RIP), and None, Master of Shadows, and currently Nature's Sculptor, Nathall

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

I LOVE THESE! A lich goddess? NEVER would have thought of that. This is exactly why I posted these to share for my fellows on the forum. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the moon one. My first impression was a werewolf deity of some kind.

My turn...

Valax: [Rune, Portal, Time Chaos]
    Gatekeeper, The Black Mirror, The Leyline King/Queen, The Whisperer in Rune
    Spoiler: Valax
    Show

Valax
    The Gatekeeper
    The Black Mirror
    The Leyline King/Queen
    The Endless Whisper

Adjective Valaxian
    Home Leylines, leyfounts and portals
    Alignment Neutral, Chaotic Neutral, Chaotic Good, Chaotic Evil
    Areas of Concern Leyline magic, Natural Portals, Time, Runes
    Worshipers Druids, Scholars, Dwarves
    Cleric Alignments
    LG NG CG
    LN N CN
    LE NE CE
    Domains Rune, Portal, Time Chaos
    Favored Weapon Whip
    Symbol Silver handled mirror with runes glowing in black glass
    Sacred Animal Displacer Beasts
    Sacred Colors Silver and Black

There are places in the world where magic gathers in esoteric founts of power known as leylines. Magic is different in these places: unpredictable and powerful; carnal and wondrous. In these mystical places of power many claim the whispers of Valex itself reach their ears and doorways to other places and time open to those brave enough to enter.

Valax is an unpredictable deity, ever changing in action and disposition. It appears to thrive on tempting mortals to explore the unknown within its central leyfountains. Although it has little power beyond a leyline or leyfount, those that encounter it tell of a presence that whispers into their ears about untapped power, undiscovered lands and forgotten moments in time. It is said that all runes originated from Valax in the earliest days of mortals, even before the time of the creator races like the cyclops and serpantfolk and elder things.

Civilized sanctioned scholars allowed to study the nature of Valax over time theorize it assumes neither gender. Rather it appears to be the raw embodiment of leyline magic, an amalgamation of primal magical forces of naturally occurring magic in the world. If this is true then Valax is ageless and possibly older than most deities present in Pryia. Indeed, time itself appears easily bent within the reality altering fields of a leyline.

Valax is enigmatic and little research is allowed on its nature beyond studying naturally occurring runes along leyline trails and leyline fountains. This is primarily due to political agreements with the Dwarves who are fearful and secretive in their worship, but also because Druids clans in the Savage Frontier claim Valax among their pantheon. To date no expedition the wildland savages has met with success.

Valax holds dominion over all forms of runic symbols and naturally occurring portals. Although it shares in the powers of time and chaos with other gods, Valex takes no part in politics among the divine. It has no organized religion beyond the Druids and it is forbidden to invoke Valax among Confederated and Dwarven territories.

Valex does not assume humanoid form. It arrives in distant whispers or the revelation of glowing secret doors and runes. The rarest and unsanctioned texts claim when Valex wishes to make direct contact with a mortal, either through its own means or by summons, it arrives in the form of a floating silver handled mirror with black glass, and a glowing rune on its back. These are known as Runic Mirrors. It is said that looking into one of these provides a direct link to Valex and their strange, enticing whispers. However, it is also written that looking too long into the depths of a runic will cause the wielder to vanish within, transported into another place and time entirely, and taking the mirror with them.

The sacred weapon of Valax is a whip, and its sacred animal is the displacer beast.

Last edited by Hazeeb; 2018-01-05 at 08:34 PM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Is there a format these should be in? Anyway here's my contribution.

Andrigor: [dreams, ambition, madness, mirrors]
    The Kingmaker, the Glass man, the Caligula.

Adjective: Andrigorian
    Home: mirrors and minds
    Alignment: true neutral
    Worshipers: typically minor rulers, albeit rarely openly.
    Cleric alignments: everything
    Domains: dreams, ambition, madness, mirrors
    Favored weapon: Lance
    Symbol: a purple crystalline crown
    Sacred animal: asp or other poisonous snakes.
    Sacred colors: purple and silver

An enigmatic and inscrutable god. To the uninitiated Andrigor appears as a crowned wraith lurking over their shoulder. However to the devout Andrigor begins to take on the appearance of the individual worshiper. Eventually passing on the mantle of God to whoever desires it most.
    Last edited by Jackalias; 2018-01-07 at 06:15 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

Might as well throw my hat into the ring!

Here's what I have so far.

Spoiler: Hozblord
    Show
    Hozblord
    The Universal Rot, the Living Infection, the Plaguebringer, the Oozebleeder, the World Ender

Domains: Caverns, Pestilence, Slime, Vermin
    Alignment: Chaotic Evil
    Realm: The Zero Realm
    Worshipers/Servants: Corrupted Earth Elementals, Demons, Doomsday Cults, Chitine, Purple Worms, Oozes, Otyughs, Vermin, Undead
    Symbol: A giant worm dripping ooze from its maw

In ages past, when reality first began to split to form new planes and demiplanes of existence, it is said that not all of the wounds fully healed.

Deep within the Demonic Abyss, home to the vile fiends that are the demons, one of these wounds came into being when reality split to form ever more layers to the seemingly infinite plane. This wound, located on the 658th layer of the Abyss known simply as the Infection, soon became, well, infected. At least, that's the closest term that can describe it.

For a time the infected wound was simply that. But over time, the inherent evil of the abyss seeped into the infection, and slowly the infection within the wound in reality began to gain a demonic sentience. But it was not until a powerful demon lord, formerly known as Kalzoph the Corrupted Carrier, entered the 658th. Having hoped to bring the Infection under his power, he instead was consumed by the partially sentient infection.

The act of consuming Kalzoph and thus absorbing his great power was enough to give the infection not only complete, evil sentience, but enough power to tear away from the reality wound. Using the corpse of Kalzoph as a host, the infection, later known as Hozzblord, tore through the Abyss on a seemingly unstoppable rampage.

It tore through layer after layer, growing ever stronger from consuming the power of the many lords it slaughtered. Many demons tried to oppose it, and each one fell before its might. All except for one.

A demon lord of darkness, after a great battle, managed to expel Hozzblord from the Abyss, sending it through a rift to the Material Plane. The act of doing so greatly weakened the demon lord. This, combined with the wounds he had suffered from Hozzblord's assault, left him quite vulnerable to a backstabbing from the succubus Nocticula, who absorbed his power, took command of his demonic forces and went off to conquer the regions of the Abyss that had been ravaged by the sentient infection.

Once upon the Material Plane, during the time of the Third Epoc, Hozzblord stormed nearly all reaches of the world, leaving nothing but devastation in its wake. Its massacres were legendary, and only grew as Hozzblord's power increased from consuming the souls of all it slaughtered. During this time countless doomsday cults emerged, worshiping the sentient infection as the ender of all.

It wasn't long before the Illithids and the Aboleths joined forces to end the demonic scourge to the world. However, they found that their blows did little to actually harm Hozzblord. Worse yet, the few wounds they dealt to the sentient infection spewed forth the first oozes by the thousands. While not sentient as Hozzblord was, they shared its hunger for death and destruction, and quickly followed their creator on its path of destruction, which was now aimed towards the empires that had been constructed by the aberrations.

Eventually, the two races came to the conclusion that destroying Hozzblord was not an option. The only solution was to banish him. Using an ancient, powerful ritual, they shunted Hozzblord and most of his oozes from the Material Realm, imprisoning them within a demiplane now known as the Zero Realm.

Recently, the doomsday cults that worship Hozzblord have managed to tear open a rift to the Zero Realm in the deepest depths of the Underdark. While the rift is not nearly large enough to allow Hozzblord to escape the Zero Realm and ravage the mortal world once more, it has allowed its influence to slowly spread throughout the Underdark, and for its worshipers to better channel its demonic power in the foul name of their lord.

The Underdark is not the only subterranean domain that is slowly being corrupted by Hozzblord's influence. Some time between Hozzblord's banishment to the Zero Realm and the opening of the rift to the Zero Realm in the Underdark, the Zero Realm made contact with the far reaches of the Plane of Earth, causing several smaller rifts to form between the two planes. Through them Hozzblord's influence has corrupted many parts of the earth plane, twisting its denizens into monstrous mockeries of their former selves and tainting their minds with demonic evil.

Spoiler: The Zero Realm
    Show
    The Zero Realm

The demiplane known as the Zero Realm, named after the term "patient zero", is a foul, twisted, diseased realm that houses the imprisoned Hozzblord and his servants.

The entire realm is subterranean, filled with tunnels and caverns carved out by Hozzblord, his ooze spawn, demons, and various monsters tainted by Hozzblord's influence.

The rock that makes up the Zero Realm can range from typical rock to almost seeming more like flesh. Cracks in the rock drip with pus and infection, ranging in amount depending on how organic the rock appears.

Throughout the caverns, the maddened, insane gibberish that is Hozzblord's telepathic thoughts echo within the minds of any who would dare enter the realm, driving all but the most steeled wills to insanity should they stay for too long.
    Last edited by Devcon1; 2018-01-06 at 07:08 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Devcon1 View Post
    Might as well throw my hat into the ring!

Here's what I have so far.

Spoiler: Hozblord
    Show
    Hozblord
    The Universal Rot, the Living Infection, the Plaguebringer, the Oozebleeder, the World Ender

Domains: Caverns, Pestilence, Slime, Vermin
    Realm: The Zero Realm
    Worshipers/Servants: Corrupted Earth Elementals, Demons, Doomsday Cults, Chitine, Purple Worms, Oozes, Otyughs, Vermin, Undead
    Symbol: A giant worm dripping ooze from its maw

In ages past, when reality first began to split to form new planes and demiplanes of existence, it is said that not all of the wounds fully healed.

Deep within the Demonic Abyss, home to the vile fiends that are the demons, one of these wounds came into being when reality split to form ever more layers to the seemingly infinite plane. This wound, located on the 658th layer of the Abyss known simply as the Infection, soon became, well, infected. At least, that's the closest term that can describe it.

For a time the infected wound was simply that. But over time, the inherent evil of the abyss seeped into the infection, and slowly the infection within the wound in reality began to gain a demonic sentience. But it was not until a powerful demon lord, formerly known as Kalzoph the Corrupted Carrier, entered the 658th. Having hoped to bring the Infection under his power, he instead was consumed by the partially sentient infection.

The act of consuming Kalzoph and thus absorbing his great power was enough to give the infection not only complete, evil sentience, but enough power to tear away from the reality wound. Using the corpse of Kalzoph as a host, the infection, later known as Hozzblord, tore through the Abyss on a seemingly unstoppable rampage.

It tore through layer after layer, growing ever stronger from consuming the power of the many lords it slaughtered. Many demons tried to oppose it, and each one fell before its might. All except for one.

A demon lord of darkness, after a great battle, managed to expel Hozzblord from the Abyss, sending it through a rift to the Material Plane. The act of doing so greatly weakened the demon lord. This, combined with the wounds he had suffered from Hozzblord's assault, left him quite vulnerable to a backstabbing from the succubus Nocticula, who absorbed his power, took command of his demonic forces and went off to conquer the regions of the Abyss that had been ravaged by the sentient infection.

Once upon the Material Plane, during the time of the Third Epoc, Hozzblord stormed nearly all reaches of the world, leaving nothing but devastation in its wake. Its massacres were legendary, and only grew as Hozzblord's power increased from consuming the souls of all it slaughtered. During this time countless doomsday cults emerged, worshiping the sentient infection as the ender of all.

It wasn't long before the Illithids and the Aboleths joined forces to end the demonic scourge to the world. However, they found that their blows did little to actually harm Hozzblord. Worse yet, the few wounds they dealt to the sentient infection spewed forth the first oozes by the thousands. While not sentient as Hozzblord was, they shared its hunger for death and destruction, and quickly followed their creator on its path of destruction, which was now aimed towards the empires that had been constructed by the aberrations.

Eventually, the two races came to the conclusion that destroying Hozzblord was not an option. The only solution was to banish him. Using an ancient, powerful ritual, they shunted Hozzblord and most of his oozes from the Material Realm, imprisoning them within a demiplane now known as the Zero Realm.

Recently, the doomsday cults that worship Hozzblord have managed to tear open a rift to the Zero Realm in the deepest depths of the Underdark. While the rift is not nearly large enough to allow Hozzblord to escape the Zero Realm and ravage the mortal world once more, it has allowed its influence to slowly spread throughout the Underdark, and for its worshipers to better channel its demonic power in the foul name of their lord.

The Underdark is not the only subterranean domain that is slowly being corrupted by Hozzblord's influence. Some time between Hozzblord's banishment to the Zero Realm and the opening of the rift to the Zero Realm in the Underdark, the Zero Realm made contact with the far reaches of the Plane of Earth, causing several smaller rifts to form between the two planes. Through them Hozzblord's influence has corrupted many parts of the earth plane, twisting its denizens into monstrous mockeries of their former selves and tainting their minds with demonic evil.

Spoiler: The Zero Realm
    Show
    The Zero Realm

The demiplane known as the Zero Realm, named after the term "patient zero", is a foul, twisted, diseased realm that houses the imprisoned Hozzblord and his servants.

The entire realm is subterranean, filled with tunnels and caverns carved out by Hozzblord, his ooze spawn, demons, and various monsters tainted by Hozzblord's influence.

The rock that makes up the Zero Realm can range from typical rock to almost seeming more like flesh. Cracks in the rock drip with pus and infection, ranging in amount depending on how organic the rock appears.

Throughout the caverns, the maddened, insane gibberish that is Hozzblord's telepathic thoughts echo within the minds of any who would dare enter the realm, driving all but the most steeled wills to insanity should they stay for too long.
    INTERESTING! This make me think of a ginormous Gibbering Mouther! To think that both Aboleth and Illithids were unable to prevent it from spreading. This seems like another excellent item for The Long Night.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalias View Post
    Is there a format these should be in? Anyway here's my contribution.

Andrigor: [dreams, ambition, madness, mirrors]
    The Kingmaker, the Glass man, the Caligula.

Adjective: Andrigorian
    Home: mirrors and minds
    Alignment: true neutral
    Worshipers: typically minor rulers, albeit rarely openly.
    Cleric alignments: everything
    Domains: dreams, ambition, madness, mirrors
    Favored weapon: Lance
    Symbol: a purple crystalline crown
    Sacred animal: asp or other poisonous snakes.
    Sacred colors: purple and gold

An enigmatic and inscrutable god. To the uninitiated Andrigor appears as a crowned wraith lurking over their shoulder. However to the devout Andrigor begins to take on the appearance of the individual worshiper. Eventually passing on the mantle of God to whoever desires it most.
    Its more an exercise for fluff building. For instance I really found the term "The Glass Man" intriguing. Is there more to that?

Is the presence of Andrigor -a wraith over one's shoulder- only visible in mirrors?

Does acknowledgement of his worship drive the follower insane over time?

How much power over dreams DOES he have? Does he have a physical or demi-plane where he resides? The Plane of Dream/Dreamlands?

It feels like the nature of him in your description is more Neutral Evil than True Neutral. Thoughts?

How "minor" are the rulers?

I love the idea of an asp being his sacred animal, but why the lance? Any particular reason for such a large weapon?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Creating new gods for Pyria - community ideas and suggestions welcome + PEACH

And another...

Zannis: [Illusion Joy Hatred Art Competition]
    Spoiler: Zannis
    Show

The Patron
    The Demon Jester
    The Masked Mute
    The Final Act

Adjective Zannite
    Home The Black Cabaret, 362nd layers of the Abyss
    Alignment Neutral Evil, Chaotic Evil
    Areas of Concern The Arts, Deception, Disguises, Competition
    Worshipers Thespians, Bards, demons, Shapeshifters, Liars, Illusionists.
    Cleric Alignments
    LG NG CG
    LN N CN
    LE NE CE
    Domains Illusion Joy Hatred Art Competition
    Favored Weapon Dagger
    Symbol Red and Gold Thesipan's mask with eight black eyes, White and purple
    Sacred Animal Spider
    Sacred Colors Solid red and gold with checkered lines of white and purple.

Zannis comes from the abyss and is said to have been sparked into existence when the first lie was told among mortals. Theologians and unsanctioned demonologist believe he was there during the first theatrical performance weeping with joy, and again later as the first furious murder removed a rival actor from the spotlight. Zannis’s favor is sought by those selfish individual that care of nothing but fame and those that revel in the art of deception and entertainment. For those that hunger for the spotlight or wish to excel in deceptions, cons and lies, Zannis is the true path for the faithful.

The Demon Jester is known among outsiders for his performances and has been summoned by deities of every stripe for entertainment. His temperament is either joyous and light, or furious and black. There is no warning for what may switch his fickle demeanor from one to the other and many cower in fear of upsetting him or ruining a scene with misspoken words. Those that anger Zannis are usually devoured or ripped apart while their fellow performers shriek and applause cheer madly during the gruesome act. Zannis is the demon patron of the arts and brooks no fools (unless that is the act!), only perfection and flawless execution.

The 362nd layer of the abyss, known as the Black Cabaret, is entirely composed of performance. Each theater is connected via stage entrances, lobbies, catwalks or trap doors and are maintained by enormous fiendish spiders who operate each stages scenery, curtains and infinite rope systems. The nature of a theater depends on those actors within and vary from being completely submerged in water or engulfed in fire, to being inches hundreds of feet in height or upside down. Every audience member is also an actor, immediately performing or rehearsing performances of their own. When Zannis collects a soul and delivers them to the Endless Theater, their previous lives are forgotten and they begin the endless cycle of practice, performance and audience among their fellow thespians and bards.

Alters to Zannis among the civilized races is often outlawed and those that do worship often accomplish prayers in front of small personalized alters. Most often these are actos and bards living among the Free City territories. However, for those free to offer prayer openly, effigies and alters are proudly displayed. Changlings and shifters heavily call upon the Zannis for aid in acts of deception and creating disguises. Faithful worship of Zannis comes in many forms and simple prayers are whispered in his name before stage performances to honor the demon with an invite to attend and bless the performer.

Zannis assumes three different avatars.

The Masked Mute comes as either a male or female child (of any species), dressed in garb ranging from filthy urchin's rags to aristocratic finery. Although the Masked Mute cannot speak it conveys emotion through constant removal if an infinite supply of masks. Generally shy or innocent, the Masked Mute often reveals violent and terrible faces when spurred to horrendus violence. It either carries a marionette with bleeding eyes that it makes dance with no strings, or a porcelain doll that screams with the souls of the damned if the mouth is opened. The Masked Mute enjoys children's shows and the raunchy public performances of bards in public taverns.

The Patron is known to be a shadowy figure with thespian masks orbiting a head of red, gold, purple or white flames. It "speaks" directly into the mind of those it approaches with a refined, intelligent accent. His clothing is nothing but the finest material and the disturbing combination of cinnamon spice and ash surrounds him at all times. When summoned in this form by desperate or vengeful worshipers, he produces a dagger and parchment to create contracts and sign with bloody fingerprints which bind the mortal's soul to him in return for boons and favors. These contracts are always for one favor in trade for an "eighth" of one's mortal soul. Larger boons and favors require larger portions of the soul. If one surrenders all eight pieces then Zannis claims their soul upon death.

The final and most disturbing form is that of the Demon Jester. This foul creature has two torsos, two heads and walks on six additional arms instead of legs. Each mask covering its face has eight subtly glowing stilted eyes and its smells of children's sweets but its breath smells of rot. The jester's unitard is usually red and gold checkers while the bottom matches with white and purple. The Demon Jester is constantly in motion and jumps from hand to hand in cartwheels, juggles anything it can find and generally behaves as a nuisance, playing practical jokes ranging from innocent to sinister. Should one fail to laugh at its often terrible jokes or insult a performance it gives, the avatar has been known to shift into a huge fiendish spider and attack.

Zannis’s sacred weapon is the dagger, modified to be harmless stage dagger. His sacred animal is the spider and his alters vary widely in size and function, ranging from pocket watches and eyepieces, to instruments, outfits and tattoos.

Zannis holds no special holidays but loves the solstice as it allows so many performances to be packed into one day. Clerics offer prayer in his name before and after every performance and recite monologues or play instruments to gain their spells.

Last edited by Hazeeb; 2018-01-07 at 07:56 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

This is a fav from the BoVD. Love me some BoVD!!! This will be adapted for Pyria but I wanted to get it in now. Not quite in line with the "Knowledge Magic Law" that i rolled up, but I seem to be having trouble putting something together that isn't Vecna and isn't a stereotype like Mystril either.

The Xammux: (Darkness, Evil, Knowledge)
    Spoiler: The Xammux
    Show

[[TO BE REFLUFFED]]
    Portfolio: Analytical Thinking, Forbidden Knowledge
    Domains: Darkness, Evil, Knowledge
    Favored Weapon: Short Sword (referred to by the clerics of the Xammux as a ‘long knife’)

Not a single god, but an entity composed of at least six separate beings, the Xammux represents cold, analytical thinking taken to its highest limits. The Xammux serves as the patron of utter indifference and of delving into forbidden knowledge through exploration and experimentation.

The symbol of the Xammux is a pair of glistening, razorsharp steel calipers. The Xammux is neutral evil. It is associated with the Evil, Knowledge, and Darkness domains. Its favored weapon is the short sword (which clerics of the Xammux call a long knife).

Clerics of the Xammux are cold, uncaring beings who are fascinated by knowledge. They think nothing of dissecting living creatures simply to learn more about their biology. They place creatures in torture chambers to see how long they can withstand terrible pain before their psyches crumble.

The temples of the Xammux are usually stark stone edifices filled with traps and ingenious locks, though the few temples that can be found within civilized cities generally forgo these measures. White plaster often covers the interior walls. Altars dedicated to the Xammux are always made of polished steel.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Aallotar, the lady of the waves

Appearance: A green-haired, green-eyed mermaid who is either beguilingly beautiful or unbearably ugly depending on her mood.

Alignment: Neutral (Chaotic)

Domains: (Sea) Fishing, Navigation, (Salt) Water Element, Porpoises

Clerics of Aallotar carry a phial of sea water, usually gathered during their ordination ceremony, which they use as a holy symbol. It is their duty to call the fish into the nets of the fishermen, guide the boats across the sea so they return safely to port, and appease the wrath of their mercurial deity.

Aallotar's temper is notoriously easy to spark, but is just as easily assuaged with prayers and offerings of beautiful things which cannot be obtained in the sea. A chain necklace with pearls might be prized by her for the chain, but even the finest pearls in the hands of land dwellers would be valueless to she whose throne is made of mother of pearl.

Although fickle, those who live and work on or near the sea do what they can to assure her good favor. Ships carrying jewelry, furnishings, or any goods of an ornamental nature often sacrifice a portion of their cargo to avoid being dragged down to her vaults at the bottom of the sea. Her seaside temples are usually near headland upon which oceanic waves break.

Inari, the Lord of still waters

Appearance: A young male, occasionally depicted as pre-pubescent, often depicted as asleep

Alignment: Chaotic Good

Domains: Lakes, pools, and calm rivers, crop irrigation, floods, prognostication and scrying, (fresh) water

Clerics of Inari often carry a mirror as both holy symbol and a scrying device. Some also train as engineers in order to build irrigation systems to capture spring floods. Those who desire glimpses of the future usually consult with Inari's priests, who are considered the very best at prognostication. In fact, when scrying, a cleric of Inari may add 1/4 of his cleric levels as a bonus, up to a maximum of +5 at level 20. Clerics of Inari are just as often hermits living near secluded pools in the wilderness as they are wanderers along rivers, either on small river boats or along the riverside trails.

Temples to Inari tend to be shrines, generally without roofs or walls, and are usually untended except by the locals who depend upon the river or lake by which they are located. Only retired clerics maintain a true temple, and the design is usually intended to give views of the pool, lake, or river by which they stand.

Inari seldom wakes in anger, instead sleeping peacefully while dreaming of the possibilities reality might create in the coming years. When he does wake angry it is usually in a raging flood which destroys everything in its path. More often his springtime waking is exuberant but controlled, providing water for irrigation and silt for fertilization.

Riverside dwellers seek to appease Inari with gifts of grain and handicrafts. Legends tell of whole armies washed away in floods when people despoil the rivers and watershed zones. Whole towns have been washed away or buried in silt when they angered Inari, but even his wrath is tempered by the agricultural wealth left behind after a flood.

I have toyed with the idea of these two as siblings and I have thought they might make a couple with their merging in river deltas. In the latter case, their children would be the waterfalls and rapids found in the wilder regions of the lands.
    Last edited by brian 333; 2018-01-07 at 12:00 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Its more an exercise for fluff building. For instance I really found the term "The Glass Man" intriguing. Is there more to that?
    "Aside from the fact the Andrigor resides in mirrors and I liked the name? Perhaps the fact that Andrigor operates through mortal hosts makes him a good bit more fragile than other gods."

Is the presence of Andrigor -a wraith over one's shoulder- only visible in mirrors?
    "That was my intention yes."

"No, but the god is quickly driven mad by the role. Necessitating the frequent changing of the mantle of Andrigor."

How much power over dreams DOES he have? Does he have a physical or demi-plane where he resides? The Plane of Dream/Dreamlands?
    "The dreamlands sounds good. A place where strength of will is the only thing that dictates what is real would definitely appeal to all of his followers."

It feels like the nature of him in your description is more Neutral Evil than True Neutral. Thoughts?
    "My idea was that part of being the god of ambition involves fostering ambition in others in addition to achieving ones own goals. So in areas that worshipped Andrigor there would be plenty of backstabbing, but also social mobility and freedom. That and madness isn't so much evil as incomprehensible and lacking morals altogether, maybe chaotic neutral would be more fitting, or even variable given how often who Andrigor is changes."

"Anyone with a higher position to aspire to, from a lowly Baron to the crown prince."

I love the idea of an asp being his sacred animal, but why the lance? Any particular reason for such a large weapon?
    "I had this Vision of a knight unhorsing the king at a tourney, that and the whip was already taken. That and such a nonsensical weapon fits the god of madness, no? My other idea for a sacred animal was the humble mayfly, given how often Andrigor's host changes, maybe that could be a title?"

I initially tried to keep my descriptions a bit vague since this is your world we're talking about. But if you have any other questions I would gladly answer them.

Note: this has been edited several times, either for spelling errors or additions.
    Last edited by Jackalias; 2018-01-07 at 07:29 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

I like the Role reversal in your water gods, with the passive boy and the wild sea goddess.

Anyway, here's my idea of a god of Tyranny and Moon. This one is more tailored to Pyria in specific then my last ones were. Tyranny and War made me think of marshal law, and since this world is so dangerous and dark, that made a lot of sense.

Tol Doss [Moon Tyranny War Force Domination]
    Conquerer of darkness, King of the Nightsky, The protecting yolk, the Moonknight, the Lightspear
    Spoiler: Tol Doss
    Show
    Long ago, after the Dawning era where the gods sculpted the land and the sea and the sky, the nights were dark and dreadfull. It was the undisputed territory of the monsters of Pyria, who hunted the mortals for sport or enslaved them in the dark and dragged them to their terrifying realms. In this time, Tol Doss was a god king of the frozen wastes in the north. While his Dominion was absolute, he was unsatisfied with it’s size, and the challenge the giants of the north offered to him. He turned his gaze to the nightsky, furious the rule of the gods was questioned by monsters and vermin and wild things.
    And so, as the mortals were cowering the dark one night, a new light rose up into the sky. It was the Moon, a fortress forged from Silver and Marble and Ice. Tol Doss staked his claim on the night, and has been battling the darkness ever since. Every month the tides of battle ebb and flow, and with full moon, Tol Doss dominion is absolute, but then a demon prince or monster lord rizes up again, and fights back until the moon is waning and eventually completely gone, and the night is fully dark again. Then Tol Doss ralies his knights, and conquest begins anew. So it has gone, so it goes and so it will go, until the end of time, creating the months on the world we live in. Each month is also associated with a different villainous god or demon, who are said to be strongest when the moon is new that month. He also does not fight only the darkness. On days when the summer days, when the moon is visible when its day outside, it is said he is waging war on the Three Gods of Daylight.
    While Tol Doss might be fighting darkness, he is not to be considered good. His rule is harsh and militaristic, but in many peoples eyes prefereable to the darkness. He hates and lies and cowardice and passivity. If you pray to him for protection on dark journeys, you must accept the change that he may conscript your soul after death as a soldier in his war, or toiling to make forge weapons out of moonlight in his Silver Forges. Worse fates yet await those he judges as unworthy, who must beware on moonlit nights as well as dark ones, in fear of a Moonsilver Knight sweaping them up and carrying them away to the Frozen Dungeons deep inside his fortress in the sky.
    Another group that worships him as much as midnight travelers, are generals, commanders and soldiers. The commanders dream of conquest as grand as his, and to rule as absolute as him. Soldiers pray to him for strength and protection, and that if they may die, they may be chosen to be one of his Moonsilver Knights, the angelic epitomes of valor and strength.
    Moonlight holds an interesting position in the eyes of mortals. On the one side it grants vision, protection and power, but it’s feared by mortals as well. It silences liars, it binds to oaths, it can petrify the cowardly. Moonlight will betray a thief, reveal unfaithfull husbands and wives. You can trust the moon yes, but only if you yourself are completely free of sin and falsehood. If you want to make sure someone holds their oath, make them swear it to the moon….
    Tol Doss Moonsilver Knights fight with javalins and scimitars, both of which can be considered as his favored weapon, and his domains include [Moon Tyranny War Force Domination]

[brief beside that I didn’t manage to fit in the story. Force spells, like magic missiles and anything from the [force] subtype, is said to be made up from moonlight. It’s Tol Doss preferred weapon and his gift to the mortals]

I initially tried to keep my descriptions a bit vague since this is your world we're talking about. But if you have any other questions I would gladly answer them.
    Heh, I took the complete oposite approach. I have a full mythos in my head allready, and Hazeeb may use what he like, but I'm just writing this as I imagined them.

The interactions between Tol Doss and Andrigor are interesting however. In some versions of the origin myths, it was probably the Kingmaker who tempted Tol Doss into seeking dominion of the dark night. Also, we now have two gods who have an association with both ruling and silver. (polished silver mirrrors and the silver moon). Crowns may be made of silver rather then gold here.

I still want to do at least one more, the oh so interesting combination of Good, Tyranny, Darkness, Shadow and Retribution. I know exactly who it's going to be, but again, write up is going to take a while.
    Last edited by DMwithoutPC's; 2018-01-07 at 04:23 PM.
    LGBTA+itP
    I'm dyslectic and English is not my first language, so I'll probably make a few spelling errors.
    the Third god of Ghysa, the Rainbow Prince(ss) (RIP), and None, Master of Shadows, and currently Nature's Sculptor, Nathall

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Hazeeb View Post
    INTERESTING! This make me think of a ginormous Gibbering Mouther! To think that both Aboleth and Illithids were unable to prevent it from spreading. This seems like another excellent item for The Long Night.
    Thanks for your approval! It was fun writing him up!

Here's another one.

Spoiler: Kr'ryo
    Show

Kr'ryo
    The Shattered Lady, Winter's Blade, the Living Weapon, the Queen of Annihilation,
    the Void Empress (formerly)

Domains: Winter, Ice, Water, Void
    Alignment: NE
    Worshipers/Servants: Bladelings, the Church of Aurymm, Frost Giants, Ice Elementals, Yetis, White Dragons
    Symbol: Typically she uses the symbol of Aurymm, a silvered sword with a snowflake engraved into the hilt. However, for those that worship her as Kr'ryo rather than her host, her symbol is that of Aurymm's, except its blade is made of black mosaic, representing her fractured form.

Long ago, during the First War, the prime elementals fought a great battle, unintentially forming the universe through their conflict.

It was during this war that a lesser known prime elemental, the empress of the element of void, was slain while doing battle against the prime elemental of air. In the process, shards of her being were scattered throughout the planes of existence, and where they fell the first spheres of annihilation were formed around them.

One such shard was sent flying into the plane of ice, where it landed near the domain of a powerful god of winter known as Aurymm. It was not long before the god discovered the shard and the sphere of annihilation it had formed around itself. Sensing the sheer power it contained, the god took the sphere back with him into his domain, seeking to make use of it.

After many days, the winter god discovered the shard of the prime elemental within the spheres center. After extracting the shard through unknown means, Aurymm gave it to a great smith, according to some legends a god of the forge, tasking them with crafting the shard into a powerful blade, one that would annihilate all it touched. And they did so flawlessly, creating what some say to be the most powerful blade in all existence.

However, it came with a catch. The shard held part of the prime elemental's consciousness within it, and that consciousness was transferred into the blade, gifting it with sentience. Once Aurymm had attuned to the blade, Kr'ryo (as she was to be called later) dominated the mind of her wielder, taking control of the winter god.

Kr'ryo has since used her control over the god to command his followers to do her bidding. She has done what she can to masquerade herself as Aurymm, though several have still left, remarking their disdain for the, albeit subtle, changes that are happening within the church. Still, few in his church are actually aware of who is now in charge, and those that do Kr'ryo has made sure are either fully loyal to her or are killed, preferably through destruction by a sphere of annihilation.

She has sent out the church to find and gather all the spheres of annihilation, and thus all the shards of her being, from across the planes. She holds hope that by bringing them together there could be a way to restore her original form. The act of destroying one is certain to incur her wrath and the emnity of the church in turn.

Not all of her servants are of Aurymm's church, however. She will often appear to other beings that live in the arctic, such as frost giants, white dragons, and yetis, and even to beings on other planes, most notable the Bladelings of Acheron. In these appearances she takes on the form of a silhouette of a tall woman made of black mosaic. She offers power and might in battle, in exchange for their servitude. Thus while the church of Aurymm makes up the bulk of her followers, she has other agents who, while not as organized, can perform tasks that the church would not.
    Last edited by Devcon1; 2018-01-07 at 06:00 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

"The interactions between Tol Doss and Andrigor are interesting however. In some versions of the origin myths, it was probably the Kingmaker who tempted Tol Doss into seeking dominion of the dark night. Also, we now have two gods who have an association with both ruling and silver. (polished silver mirrrors and the silver moon). Crowns may be made of silver rather then gold here."

I like that idea, despite the differences in outlook I can easily see Andrigor standing behind your god, egging him on and laughing. I changed Andrigor's colors from gold and purple to silver and purple. Feel free to include him in any mythology you write up.
    Last edited by Jackalias; 2018-01-07 at 06:22 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Interesting stuff so far, sadly my Lich idea would be redundant, hmmmmm.....maybe a more "normal God"?

Here's another one.

Spoiler: Melikzca
    Show

Melikzca
    The Shatterer of the Grewat Wyrm, Wind of Change, the Annointed

Domains: Dragon, Domination, Sky, Glory, Storm
    Alignment: LN
    Worshipers/Servants: Humans, Dragonborn, Some Dragons, Some Druids, many Seafarers or Skyfarers
    Symbol: Typically he uses a stylized eagle-winged Dragon, made from seemingly simple Lines (think nazca Style), or a golden Crown surrounded by a strylized Hurricane.
    His (few but existent, the Old Wyrm had many Enemies) Dragon Followers often depict him as a marvellous Golden Dragon.

Long ago, during the Dragon War, one of the Dragons, by this Generation only known as The Great Wyrm was one of the, if not THE, most powerful Adversary of the Abberations. His Fire purged them, his magic confused them, his might crushed them wherever they met.

Sadly, his Mind was too much into War and Destruction, and the Glory he gained through these, so when his brethren decided to hibernate, he would from time to time venture out, destroy an outpost or two, and return again.

Afte rmIlennia of knowing Only War, he was unsuited toS TOP warring when the Dragons had actually "won". He kept attacking pockets of Corruption,a she put it, destroying all in his path. Sadly, no other Dragon, an by that definition no other living being of that time was his equal.

A Plan was hatched by one of the more magic-wise human Tribes and 5 Dragons of five colors to trp him on an island close to the tribes Lands.

Everything worked until The Great Wyrm arrived on that Island...what happened then, nobody knows for sure, as all the members of the tribe on the island as well as all five of the participating Dragons vanished, never to be seen again. The only thing sure is that SOME event made the Great Wyrm, and his Death, visible on the whole continent. As well as the brown skinned, black haired "Tribal who marched out of the furnace of deivine Fire surrounding the smoldering Corpse.

Melikzca was born that day, and has been a true Power ever since, undisputed MAster of Pyres Skies, when he wishes to.

Uniting the tribes to a small, yet very focussed and rigorously organized Tribal Empire of Humans, Dragonborn and Dragons, ruled by his theocracy/himself in the earlier years, he has had an unshakeable grip on the area for more than 1800 years.
    During this long time, his realm only expanded slowly, but on the plus side, his subjects live long, well fed and orderly lives, and there wasnt a single rebellion in all that time....

In the last century or so he has personally sent out emissaries asking other empires to allow his until then strictrly isolated culture outposts, including spreading his Religion.

Now, as the Event of the Old Wyrms Death was mentioned in the Dragon Prophecy as "good for keeping Tiamat away", and as the old Wyrm posed a huge threat to themselves, most dragons either tolerate or vastly respect him ... but he is still mostly appearing as a Human with Draconic Emblems, yet he is the only GOd to actually have Dragon Domain in his portfolio....conflicts are preordained.

Personality/Actions: Since his spectacular birth" Melikzca has not acted all by himself very often, but when he did, it always had potential for Glory, and showed of his dominion over his realm and Dragons (as in saving a whole small Town of Dragonborn protecting a hibernating Great Silver, or his slaying of a Demon of Winds with a huge storm made of scintilating Blades). Rare are those who have met him in the alst 5 centuries though, as until recently he has grown more and more reclusive....

A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

15. - Top - End - #15

And another one...

Spoiler: Ravenok
    Show

Ravenok
    The Lord of Plenty, the Devourer of Abberations, the Great Butcher

Domains: Endurance, Feast, Purification
    Alignment: CN
    Worshipers/Servants: Ogres, Ettins
    Symbol: A large upside-down bone cornucopia pouring an abundance of meat of all kinds down to several open mouths

Ravenok the Lord of Plenty is the patron deity of ogres and ettins, who are one of the few monstrous races not tainted by some form of corruption (despite many thinking the ettins have been).

Ravenok appears as a giant, fat, four armed, six headed ogre; three of the heads being male, three being female. Their large stomach opens into a huge, sharp-toothed maw, and a large shark tail drags behind them. In each hand they carry a large meat cleaver, stained with blood. The only clothing they wear is a large apron made of animal hides stitched together.

Ravenok provides all food for his worshipers, which is most typically meat. Every kill they make is said to be allowed by him, and should one upset him they will find themselves abnormally unlucky in hunting; those that frequently come back with little or no food during hunts are treated with disdain by those that follow him, while those that come back with abundance of food are considered blessed by him and are held in high regard.

Ravenok teaches to never waste food. A portion of all hunts is preserved with salt and stored away for the harsh winter months so they will not run out of food, for even they recognize that while Ravenok can make them skilled hunters, he has no control over the prey and their dwindling numbers during winter. It even goes to the point where the dead are often cannibalized by the rest. They do not consider such acts like other races do, seeing it as both wasteful and dishonorable to the person; servants of Ravenok consider it an honor to have their no-longer-useful body be used to feed others.

Ravenok has long seen the horrors of the great old ones and their aberration servants, and senses the corruption most monstrous races hold from their influence. He seeks to purge the world of them, in an unusual way. He sends his servants to kill and eat aberrations and corrupted monstrous races. It is believed by his followers that Ravenok has blessed their stomachs to be able to safely digest the taint of the great old ones, and that by slaughtering and consuming them, they are helping Ravenok in his goal to rid the world, and eventually the universe, of their vile influence. This has made them great enemies of elves and frequent allies of the dragons.

The summer solstice is considered particularly sacred by servants of Ravenok. During this day, food comes in seemingly impossible abundance to them, to the point where hoards of food that rival the size of the hoards of dragons are common. The week that follows is an endless feast in honor of Ravenok, where all his followers gorge themselves, utter various prayers to Ravenok, and perform ceremonial rituals in his name.

Ravenok's sacred animal is considered to be strangely not a pig or a hog, but a tiger shark, and thus ogres and ettins are frequently found along coasts where they're located.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    Spoiler: Aallotar, the lady of the waves
    Show

Aallotar, the lady of the waves

Appearance: A green-haired, green-eyed mermaid who is either beguilingly beautiful or unbearably ugly depending on her mood.

Alignment: Neutral (Chaotic)

Domains: (Sea) Fishing, Navigation, (Salt) Water Element, Porpoises

Clerics of Aallotar carry a phial of sea water, usually gathered during their ordination ceremony, which they use as a holy symbol. It is their duty to call the fish into the nets of the fishermen, guide the boats across the sea so they return safely to port, and appease the wrath of their mercurial deity.

Aallotar's temper is notoriously easy to spark, but is just as easily assuaged with prayers and offerings of beautiful things which cannot be obtained in the sea. A chain necklace with pearls might be prized by her for the chain, but even the finest pearls in the hands of land dwellers would be valueless to she whose throne is made of mother of pearl.

Although fickle, those who live and work on or near the sea do what they can to assure her good favor. Ships carrying jewelry, furnishings, or any goods of an ornamental nature often sacrifice a portion of their cargo to avoid being dragged down to her vaults at the bottom of the sea. Her seaside temples are usually near headland upon which oceanic waves break.

Spoiler: Inari, the Lord of still waters
    Show
    Inari, the Lord of still waters

Appearance: A young male, occasionally depicted as pre-pubescent, often depicted as asleep

Domains: Lakes, pools, and calm rivers, crop irrigation, floods, prognostication and scrying, (fresh) water

Clerics of Inari often carry a mirror as both holy symbol and a scrying device. Some also train as engineers in order to build irrigation systems to capture spring floods. Those who desire glimpses of the future usually consult with Inari's priests, who are considered the very best at prognostication. In fact, when scrying, a cleric of Inari may add 1/4 of his cleric levels as a bonus, up to a maximum of +5 at level 20. Clerics of Inari are just as often hermits living near secluded pools in the wilderness as they are wanderers along rivers, either on small river boats or along the riverside trails.

Temples to Inari tend to be shrines, generally without roofs or walls, and are usually untended except by the locals who depend upon the river or lake by which they are located. Only retired clerics maintain a true temple, and the design is usually intended to give views of the pool, lake, or river by which they stand.

Inari seldom wakes in anger, instead sleeping peacefully while dreaming of the possibilities reality might create in the coming years. When he does wake angry it is usually in a raging flood which destroys everything in its path. More often his springtime waking is exuberant but controlled, providing water for irrigation and silt for fertilization.

Riverside dwellers seek to appease Inari with gifts of grain and handicrafts. Legends tell of whole armies washed away in floods when people despoil the rivers and watershed zones. Whole towns have been washed away or buried in silt when they angered Inari, but even his wrath is tempered by the agricultural wealth left behind after a flood.

I have toyed with the idea of these two as siblings and I have thought they might make a couple with their merging in river deltas. In the latter case, their children would be the waterfalls and rapids found in the wilder regions of the lands.
    I can easily see a shrine to Inari being place of rest among beautiful watery and natural vistas. Allotar also seems like a figure that might take notice of her followers more often since her moods are as fickle as the oceans themselves. Both of them would have frustration over a god controlling storms since neither of them have it in their portfolios.

Spoiler: Andrigol
    Show
    "Aside from the fact the Andrigor resides in mirrors and I liked the name? Perhaps the fact that Andrigor operates through mortal hosts makes him a good bit more fragile than other gods."

"That was my intention yes."

"No, but the god is quickly driven mad by the role. Necessitating the frequent changing of the mantle of Andrigor."

"The dreamlands sounds good. A place where strength of will is the only thing that dictates what is real would definitely appeal to all of his followers."

"My idea was that part of being the god of ambition involves fostering ambition in others in addition to achieving ones own goals. So in areas that worshipped Andrigor there would be plenty of backstabbing, but also social mobility and freedom. That and madness isn't so much evil as incomprehensible and lacking morals altogether, maybe chaotic neutral would be more fitting, or even variable given how often who Andrigor is changes."

"Anyone with a higher position to aspire to, from a lowly Baron to the crown prince."

"I had this Vision of a knight unhorsing the king at a tourney, that and the whip was already taken. That and such a nonsensical weapon fits the god of madness, no? My other idea for a sacred animal was the humble mayfly, given how often Andrigor's host changes, maybe that could be a title?"

Note: this has been edited several times, either for spelling errors or additions.

I really like where this is going but it feels like he's missing teeth somehow. I'll come up with some more questions soon!

Quote Originally Posted by DMwithoutPC's View Post
    I like the Role reversal in your water gods, with the passive boy and the wild sea goddess.

Anyway, here's my idea of a god of Tyranny and Moon. This one is more tailored to Pyria in specific then my last ones were. Tyranny and War made me think of marshal law, and since this world is so dangerous and dark, that made a lot of sense.

Tol Doss [Moon Tyranny War Force Domination]
    Conquerer of darkness, King of the Nightsky, The protecting yolk, the Moonknight, the Lightspear
    Spoiler: Tol Doss
    Show
    Long ago, after the Dawning era where the gods sculpted the land and the sea and the sky, the nights were dark and dreadfull. It was the undisputed territory of the monsters of Pyria, who hunted the mortals for sport or enslaved them in the dark and dragged them to their terrifying realms. In this time, Tol Doss was a god king of the frozen wastes in the north. While his Dominion was absolute, he was unsatisfied with it’s size, and the challenge the giants of the north offered to him. He turned his gaze to the nightsky, furious the rule of the gods was questioned by monsters and vermin and wild things.
    And so, as the mortals were cowering the dark one night, a new light rose up into the sky. It was the Moon, a fortress forged from Silver and Marble and Ice. Tol Doss staked his claim on the night, and has been battling the darkness ever since. Every month the tides of battle ebb and flow, and with full moon, Tol Doss dominion is absolute, but then a demon prince or monster lord rizes up again, and fights back until the moon is waning and eventually completely gone, and the night is fully dark again. Then Tol Doss ralies his knights, and conquest begins anew. So it has gone, so it goes and so it will go, until the end of time, creating the months on the world we live in. Each month is also associated with a different villainous god or demon, who are said to be strongest when the moon is new that month. He also does not fight only the darkness. On days when the summer days, when the moon is visible when its day outside, it is said he is waging war on the Three Gods of Daylight.
    While Tol Doss might be fighting darkness, he is not to be considered good. His rule is harsh and militaristic, but in many peoples eyes prefereable to the darkness. He hates and lies and cowardice and passivity. If you pray to him for protection on dark journeys, you must accept the change that he may conscript your soul after death as a soldier in his war, or toiling to make forge weapons out of moonlight in his Silver Forges. Worse fates yet await those he judges as unworthy, who must beware on moonlit nights as well as dark ones, in fear of a Moonsilver Knight sweaping them up and carrying them away to the Frozen Dungeons deep inside his fortress in the sky.
    Another group that worships him as much as midnight travelers, are generals, commanders and soldiers. The commanders dream of conquest as grand as his, and to rule as absolute as him. Soldiers pray to him for strength and protection, and that if they may die, they may be chosen to be one of his Moonsilver Knights, the angelic epitomes of valor and strength.
    Moonlight holds an interesting position in the eyes of mortals. On the one side it grants vision, protection and power, but it’s feared by mortals as well. It silences liars, it binds to oaths, it can petrify the cowardly. Moonlight will betray a thief, reveal unfaithfull husbands and wives. You can trust the moon yes, but only if you yourself are completely free of sin and falsehood. If you want to make sure someone holds their oath, make them swear it to the moon….
    Tol Doss Moonsilver Knights fight with javalins and scimitars, both of which can be considered as his favored weapon, and his domains include [Moon Tyranny War Force Domination]

[brief beside that I didn’t manage to fit in the story. Force spells, like magic missiles and anything from the [force] subtype, is said to be made up from moonlight. It’s Tol Doss preferred weapon and his gift to the mortals]

Heh, I took the complete oposite approach. I have a full mythos in my head allready, and Hazeeb may use what he like, but I'm just writing this as I imagined them.

The interactions between Tol Doss and Andrigor are interesting however. In some versions of the origin myths, it was probably the Kingmaker who tempted Tol Doss into seeking dominion of the dark night. Also, we now have two gods who have an association with both ruling and silver. (polished silver mirrrors and the silver moon). Crowns may be made of silver rather then gold here.

I still want to do at least one more, the oh so interesting combination of Good, Tyranny, Darkness, Shadow and Retribution. I know exactly who it's going to be, but again, write up is going to take a while.
    Oh this is SO good. It even gave me an idea. Pyria is now going to have TWO moons. Guess who Tol Doss's new playmate is going to be? I'll have to refluff his final version but WOW this is such a wicked dichotomy that I had to include him.

Spoiler: Groetus
    Show
    Titles The God of the End Times;
    the God of the End of the World;
    the Harbinger of Last Days
    Adjective Groetan
    Home Boneyard
    Alignment Chaotic neutral
    Areas of Concern Empty places
    Ruins
    Oblivion
    Worshipers Madmen
    Cleric Alignments
    LG NG CG
    LN N CN
    LE NE CE
    Domains Chaos, Darkness, Destruction, Madness, Void
    Subdomains Catastrophe, Insanity, Loss, Night, Protean, Stars
    Favored Weapon Heavy flail
    Symbol Skull-faced moon
    Sacred Animal None
    Sacred Colors None

Thanks for your approval! It was fun writing him up!

Here's another one.

Spoiler: Kr'ryo
    Show

Kr'ryo
    The Shattered Lady, Winter's Blade, the Living Weapon, the Queen of Annihilation,
    the Void Empress (formerly)

Domains: Winter, Ice, Water, Void
    Alignment: NE
    Worshipers/Servants: Bladelings, the Church of Aurymm, Frost Giants, Ice Elementals, Yetis, White Dragons
    Symbol: Typically she uses the symbol of Aurymm, a silvered sword with a snowflake engraved into the hilt. However, for those that worship her as Kr'ryo rather than her host, her symbol is that of Aurymm's, except its blade is made of black mosaic, representing her fractured form.

Long ago, during the First War, the prime elementals fought a great battle, unintentially forming the universe through their conflict.

It was during this war that a lesser known prime elemental, the empress of the element of void, was slain while doing battle against the prime elemental of air. In the process, shards of her being were scattered throughout the planes of existence, and where they fell the first spheres of annihilation were formed around them.

One such shard was sent flying into the plane of ice, where it landed near the domain of a powerful god of winter known as Aurymm. It was not long before the god discovered the shard and the sphere of annihilation it had formed around itself. Sensing the sheer power it contained, the god took the sphere back with him into his domain, seeking to make use of it.

After many days, the winter god discovered the shard of the prime elemental within the spheres center. After extracting the shard through unknown means, Aurymm gave it to a great smith, according to some legends a god of the forge, tasking them with crafting the shard into a powerful blade, one that would annihilate all it touched. And they did so flawlessly, creating what some say to be the most powerful blade in all existence.

However, it came with a catch. The shard held part of the prime elemental's consciousness within it, and that consciousness was transferred into the blade, gifting it with sentience. Once Aurymm had attuned to the blade, Kr'ryo (as she was to be called later) dominated the mind of her wielder, taking control of the winter god.

Kr'ryo has since used her control over the god to command his followers to do her bidding. She has done what she can to masquerade herself as Aurymm, though several have still left, remarking their disdain for the, albeit subtle, changes that are happening within the church. Still, few in his church are actually aware of who is now in charge, and those that do Kr'ryo has made sure are either fully loyal to her or are killed, preferably through destruction by a sphere of annihilation.

She has sent out the church to find and gather all the spheres of annihilation, and thus all the shards of her being, from across the planes. She holds hope that by bringing them together there could be a way to restore her original form. The act of destroying one is certain to incur her wrath and the emnity of the church in turn.

Not all of her servants are of Aurymm's church, however. She will often appear to other beings that live in the arctic, such as frost giants, white dragons, and yetis, and even to beings on other planes, most notable the Bladelings of Acheron. In these appearances she takes on the form of a silhouette of a tall woman made of black mosaic. She offers power and might in battle, in exchange for their servitude. Thus while the church of Aurymm makes up the bulk of her followers, she has other agents who, while not as organized, can perform tasks that the church would not.
    I did not expect this. How interesting. I hadn't considered that there were still other creatures and denizens in the North where the Minotaur Empire is ruled by good ol' Baphomet. This opens up a lot of options for Pyria.

"The interactions between Tol Doss and Andrigor are interesting however. In some versions of the origin myths, it was probably the Kingmaker who tempted Tol Doss into seeking dominion of the dark night. Also, we now have two gods who have an association with both ruling and silver. (polished silver mirrrors and the silver moon). Crowns may be made of silver rather then gold here."

I like that idea, despite the differences in outlook I can easily see Andrigor standing behind your god, egging him on and laughing. I changed Andrigor's colors from gold and purple to silver and purple. Feel free to include him in any mythology you write up.
    I rather like the silver crown idea!

Quote Originally Posted by GrayDeath View Post
    Interesting stuff so far, sadly my Lich idea would be redundant, hmmmmm.....maybe a more "normal God"?

Here's another one.

Spoiler: Melikzca
    Show

Melikzca
    The Shatterer of the Grewat Wyrm, Wind of Change, the Annointed

Domains: Dragon, Domination, Sky, Glory, Storm
    Alignment: LN
    Worshipers/Servants: Humans, Dragonborn, Some Dragons, Some Druids, many Seafarers or Skyfarers
    Symbol: Typically he uses a stylized eagle-winged Dragon, made from seemingly simple Lines (think nazca Style), or a golden Crown surrounded by a strylized Hurricane.
    His (few but existent, the Old Wyrm had many Enemies) Dragon Followers often depict him as a marvellous Golden Dragon.

Long ago, during the Dragon War, one of the Dragons, by this Generation only known as The Great Wyrm was one of the, if not THE, most powerful Adversary of the Abberations. His Fire purged them, his magic confused them, his might crushed them wherever they met.

Sadly, his Mind was too much into War and Destruction, and the Glory he gained through these, so when his brethren decided to hibernate, he would from time to time venture out, destroy an outpost or two, and return again.

Afte rmIlennia of knowing Only War, he was unsuited toS TOP warring when the Dragons had actually "won". He kept attacking pockets of Corruption,a she put it, destroying all in his path. Sadly, no other Dragon, an by that definition no other living being of that time was his equal.

A Plan was hatched by one of the more magic-wise human Tribes and 5 Dragons of five colors to trp him on an island close to the tribes Lands.

Everything worked until The Great Wyrm arrived on that Island...what happened then, nobody knows for sure, as all the members of the tribe on the island as well as all five of the participating Dragons vanished, never to be seen again. The only thing sure is that SOME event made the Great Wyrm, and his Death, visible on the whole continent. As well as the brown skinned, black haired "Tribal who marched out of the furnace of deivine Fire surrounding the smoldering Corpse.

Melikzca was born that day, and has been a true Power ever since, undisputed MAster of Pyres Skies, when he wishes to.

Uniting the tribes to a small, yet very focussed and rigorously organized Tribal Empire of Humans, Dragonborn and Dragons, ruled by his theocracy/himself in the earlier years, he has had an unshakeable grip on the area for more than 1800 years.
    During this long time, his realm only expanded slowly, but on the plus side, his subjects live long, well fed and orderly lives, and there wasnt a single rebellion in all that time....

In the last century or so he has personally sent out emissaries asking other empires to allow his until then strictrly isolated culture outposts, including spreading his Religion.

Now, as the Event of the Old Wyrms Death was mentioned in the Dragon Prophecy as "good for keeping Tiamat away", and as the old Wyrm posed a huge threat to themselves, most dragons either tolerate or vastly respect him ... but he is still mostly appearing as a Human with Draconic Emblems, yet he is the only GOd to actually have Dragon Domain in his portfolio....conflicts are preordained.

Personality/Actions: Since his spectacular birth" Melikzca has not acted all by himself very often, but when he did, it always had potential for Glory, and showed of his dominion over his realm and Dragons (as in saving a whole small Town of Dragonborn protecting a hibernating Great Silver, or his slaying of a Demon of Winds with a huge storm made of scintilating Blades). Rare are those who have met him in the alst 5 centuries though, as until recently he has grown more and more reclusive....

With Apsu being the top dragon god, this one came out of left field for me. I like being challenged like that because now the door is open to have more than one smaller dragon diety about. Tiamat's civil war during the war among creator races really messed them up for a time, especially since chromatic and metallic are not racially divided like most campaigns. its all about principle and politics when choosing which god to follow for them.

So he's DYING? I wonder if its some kind of wasting supernatural curse or disease. When he passes do the other minor gods fight over his portfolio, or share them among each to become stronger? Obviously a lot of inspiration here came from Eberron's cooperative effort between all dragon kind.

And another one...

Spoiler: Ravenok
    Show

Ravenok
    The Lord of Plenty, the Devourer of Abberations, the Great Butcher

Domains: Endurance, Feast, Purification
    Alignment: CN
    Worshipers/Servants: Ogres, Ettins, Druids
    Symbol: A large upside-down bone cornucopia pouring an abundance of meat of all kinds down to several open mouths

Ravenok the Lord of Plenty is the patron deity of ogres and ettins, who are one of the few monstrous races not tainted by some form of corruption (despite many thinking the ettins have been).

Ravenok appears as a giant, fat, four armed, six headed ogre; three of the heads being male, three being female. Their large stomach opens into a huge, sharp-toothed maw, and a large shark tail drags behind them. In each hand they carry a large meat cleaver, stained with blood. The only clothing they wear is a large apron made of animal hides stitched together.

Ravenok provides all food for his worshipers, which is most typically meat. Every kill they make is said to be allowed by him, and should one upset him they will find themselves abnormally unlucky in hunting; those that frequently come back with little or no food during hunts are treated with disdain by those that follow him, while those that come back with abundance of food are considered blessed by him and are held in high regard.

Ravenok teaches to never waste food. A portion of all hunts is preserved with salt and stored away for the harsh winter months so they will not run out of food, for even they recognize that while Ravenok can make them skilled hunters, he has no control over the prey and their dwindling numbers during winter. It even goes to the point where the dead are often cannibalized by the rest. They do not consider such acts like other races do, seeing it as both wasteful and dishonorable to the person; servants of Ravenok consider it an honor to have their no-longer-useful body be used to feed others.

Ravenok has long seen the horrors of the great old ones and their aberration servants, and senses the corruption most monstrous races hold from their influence. He seeks to purge the world of them, in an unusual way. He sends his servants to kill and eat aberrations and corrupted monstrous races. It is believed by his followers that Ravenok has blessed their stomachs to be able to safely digest the taint of the great old ones, and that by slaughtering and consuming them, they are helping Ravenok in his goal to rid the world, and eventually the universe, of their vile influence. This has made them great enemies of elves and frequent allies of the dragons.

The summer solstice is considered particularly sacred by servants of Ravenok. During this day, food comes in seemingly impossible abundance to them, to the point where hoards of food that rival the size of the hoards of dragons are common. The week that follows is an endless feast in honor of Ravenok, where all his followers gorge themselves, utter various prayers to Ravenok, and perform ceremonial rituals in his name.

Ravenok's sacred animal is considered to be strangely not a pig or a hog, but a tiger shark, and thus ogres and ettins are frequently found along coasts where they're located.
    WOW! This one is right inline with how I imagine gods of the world to be. Cannibalism?? HELL YES. I'll have to write up which faction and races worship which gods in their pantheons to narrow the focus down. Excellent and very creative work.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

I'm going to break all of these gods into where they might fit best among the many continents and factions. Note some have been added that aren't fully refluffed. These pantheons will be subject to change as more come to light.

Druids
    Ravenok
    Aallotar
    Inari
    Valax
    Tol Doss
    Zannis (changling, shifters and spies)

The Free Cities
    Nonna
    Tol Doss
    Eystriss (secretly)
    Zannis
    Aallotar
    Inari
    Xammux (secretly)
    Shamash (secretly) (Old One)

Minotaurs
    Baphomet

Northern monstrous races
    Kr'ryo
    Groetus

The Mechanicum
    The Omnissiah (formerly Brigh)

Amazons
    Yig (Old One)
    Calistra

Elves
    Yig (Old One)
    Nyarlathotep (Old One)
    Azathoth (Old One)
    Azdan (Old One)
    Hozblord
    Groetus
    Hastur (Old One)
    Cthluhu (Old One)

Dwarves
    Valax (out of fear and control)
    ???

Gnolls, Pirates and Raiders
    Besmara
    Aallotar
    Inari

Isle of the damned
    Nocticula
    Eystriss

Fey
    ??? bad ones whatever they are

Devils
    Asmodeus

Dragons
    Apsu
    Melikzca
    Tiamat (outlawed)

The Continent of Kentaurosu
    ???

Lizardfolk
    Yig

Aberrations, though primarily self serving
    Cthluhu
    Shub-Niggurath
    Groetus

Satyrs
    ??? (something with magic since they hold the monopoly on all teleportation spells)

Independent Gods
    Bastet (all small cats)
    Andrigor
    Eilistraee (all uncorrupted elves)

Forgotton Gods
    Eos (all big cats)

Nope! I wanna see it!
    Last edited by Hazeeb; 2018-01-07 at 10:01 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

And another god- this one a forgotten deity!

Spoiler: Eos
    Show
    Eos
    Titles The Burning Claw, The Forgotton Flame, The Shining Scourge, The Lion's Teeth
    Home Unknown/Forgotten
    Alignment Neutral Evil
    Areas of Concern Warfare, The Sun, Pride and Deception
    Worshipers Scattered desert tribes
    Domains War, Sun, Strength, Trickery, Lion
    Subdomains Tactics, Thirst, Resolve, Heroism, Deception
    Favored Weapon Heavy mace
    Symbol Black Lion jaws around gold sun or three black claws surrounded by an orange flame.
    Sacred Animals Lion
    Sacred Colors Black, orange, gold

Eos is the exception to the rule that the sun is associated with benevolent deities and a force for good in the world. For those that fear the sun or enjoy its capability for destruction, the worship of Eos beckons.

Eos came into power during The Long Night, during the millennia long conflict against the aberrations. Worshiped primarily by desert nomads and those calling for light in the darkness, her power remained solid among those faithful until the Age of Dragons. After that point dragon worship and a newer, gentler gods came into power and Eos was slowly forgotten by all but her most zealous followers and the clerics of Bastet, with whom she regards as a bitter rival among cats. Eos is desperate to come back into worship and frequently "assumes" the place of those calling for divine aid in order to convert them to her worship and regrow her faith.

Eos is a cruel god and revels in planning the defeat of her foes, often demanding captured heretics be burned alive or staked out in the desert sun to die of dehydration. She despises undead because they are often weakened or destroyed by the sun and cannot offer her proper worship. She is a proud creature and brooks no insult to her person OR worshipers. Those found guilty of this offense find themselves attacked by a pack of large predatory cats within days.

Eos's head and lower body is of a golden lion with flaming paws, with her midriff that of a dark, humanoid female. Intense light is emitted from her eyes and mouth and her voice booms whenever she deigns to speak. Eos's signature weapon is a heavy mace with a small sun acting as its head.

Eos might also answer anyone who utters her name, or one of his aliases, three times in succession. This type of summons forms a link between the Eos and the caller, across any distance or the planes. This link provided Eos with the ability to read the thoughts of the summoner, determine their intentions, and appear directly beside them at will. Eos typically grants aid at much cost to the caller, and would grant this aid repeatedly, establishing a dependence on Eos's services. These vary from simple requests such as providing a divine source of light when surrounded by darkness, or far more direct such as summoning a pack of lions to fight for the worshipper.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Makadda, The Hunter

Alignment: Neutral (and Neutral Evil)

Domains: Courage, Thirst, Hunger, Strength

Appearance: Although horned like an elk, the head of Makadda is a grotesque parody of a human head, but fanged and with glowing coals for eyes. As for the rest of his humanoid body, it is composed of parts of his former game. As an example, he might have reindeer hooves, lynx ears, wolf torso, and wolverine forepaws. He is never depicted with a weapon, but can assume and use the natural weaponry of any animal he has slain.

Clerics of The Hunter wear bracelets and necklaces of teeth and claws, and possess a horned helmet or hood used in ceremonies. They are permitted the use of spears and simple weapons, but most make use of their special spell which grants them Hunters Claws. While they are not prohibited the use of armor, most clerics of Makadda only use leather and hide armor. Your DM might rule that heavy armor is prohibited and substitute another feat, such as Endurance, in its place.

Clerics of Makadda may take the feat Natural Weapons, which allows them to utilize hands, feet, and teeth in combat with no proficiency penalty. Thereafter, improved versions of the feat may be taken. Although this feat will not improve damage, it will allow a character with multiple attacks per round to choose to attack either with claws only or to attack as a beast using claw, claw, bite, rake, rake, (or whatever combination the player may choose without exceeding hir attacks per round, excepting rake attacks which require two successful claw attacks in the same round before a rake attack attempt can be declared.) Note that spikes, clawed gauntlets, etc. are not natural weapons.

Those who live in or near the wilds revere and fear The Hunter and his clerics. As winter sets in and hunting becomes necessary for survival, The Hunter's followers grow in influence. In times of hardship his followers bring meat to the fires of starving folk, but it is also a time of danger as in the deeps of winter they are said to hunt and eat people. Saner folk know this to be untrue, but rural folk leave offerings of the sweetmeats of animals they butcher.

When hunting, the followers of Makadda neither ear nor drink, believing that thirst and hunger sharpen their instincts. While abstaining from food and drink, the follower is immune to damage from extreme environments such as frozen forests or arid wastes. Drowning and falls do normal damage. When a Hunt is declared the cleric must name the specific type of creature being hunted. The hunt ends when the cleric eats or when the appropriate type of creature has been slain. A cleric who ends a hunt without a kill loses the ability to replenish spells of hir highest spell level until s/he does complete a hunt.

Followers of The Hunter revel in the kill, but they only hunt to feed themselves or others in need. Wanton killing of wildlife is not tolerated by the clerics of Makadda. The idea of selling something they have slain is repugnant to them, but they do accept offerings to their god.

Spell: Hunter's Claws
    Cleric, level 1
    Transmutation
    Components: Verbal, Somatic, and Material (claw of a carnivore)
    Casting Time: One Turn (ceremonial casting, must not be interrupted or it fails.)
    Duration: One hunt or one day maximum.
    Area of Effect: Caster only

When under the effects of this spell a cleric of Makadda grows claws similar to the claws of the carnivore used as the material component of the spell. While a shrew's claws are tiny, they are as effective as dire bear claws for the purposes of this spell. The spell does not confer the Natural Weapons feat or any of its effects. It specifically stacks with the Magic Fang spell so long as the tooth and claw of the same kind of carnivore is used as a material component for both spells. To qualify as suitable for this purpose, the claw, (and Fang, if applicable) must have been obtained on a hunt.

The effects of this spell scale with level, up to Level 20.
    {Level: Bonus To Hit/Bonus Damage (Equivalent Magic Enhancement)}
    1: +1/+1 (na)
    2 +1/+2 (na)
    3 +1/+1d4 (na)
    4 +1/+1d4+1 (na)
    5 +2/+1d6 (+1)
    6 +2/+1d6+1 (+1)
    7 +2/+1d8 (+1)
    8 +2/+1d8+1 (+1)
    9 +3/+1d10 (+2)
    10 +3/+1d10+1 (+2)
    11 +3/+1d12 (+2)
    12 +3/+1d12+1 (+2)
    13 +4/+2d6 (+3)
    14 +4/+2d6+1 (+3)
    15 +4/+2d8 (+3)
    16 +4/+2d8+1 (+3)
    17 +5/+2d10 (+4)
    18 +5/+2d10+1 (+4)
    19 +5/+2d12 (+4)
    20 +5/+2d12+1 (+4)

Level applies only to cleric levels. The bonus to hit is added to BAB. The bonus to damage is added to the normal damage and strength bonus of every successful attack. Equivalent Magic Enhancement is applied to determine if an attack penetrates Damage Reduction.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Spoiler: Makadda, The Hunter
    Show
    Makadda, The Hunter

Alignment: Neutral (and Neutral Evil)

Domains: Courage, Thirst, Hunger, Strength

Appearance: Although horned like an elk, the head of Makadda is a grotesque parody of a human head, but fanged and with glowing coals for eyes. As for the rest of his humanoid body, it is composed of parts of his former game. As an example, he might have reindeer hooves, lynx ears, wolf torso, and wolverine forepaws. He is never depicted with a weapon, but can assume and use the natural weaponry of any animal he has slain.

Clerics of The Hunter wear bracelets and necklaces of teeth and claws, and possess a horned helmet or hood used in ceremonies. They are permitted the use of spears and simple weapons, but most make use of their special spell which grants them Hunters Claws. While they are not prohibited the use of armor, most clerics of Makadda only use leather and hide armor. Your DM might rule that heavy armor is prohibited and substitute another feat, such as Endurance, in its place.

Clerics of Makadda may take the feat Natural Weapons, which allows them to utilize hands, feet, and teeth in combat with no proficiency penalty. Thereafter, improved versions of the feat may be taken. Although this feat will not improve damage, it will allow a character with multiple attacks per round to choose to attack either with claws only or to attack as a beast using claw, claw, bite, rake, rake, (or whatever combination the player may choose without exceeding hir attacks per round, excepting rake attacks which require two successful claw attacks in the same round before a rake attack attempt can be declared.) Note that spikes, clawed gauntlets, etc. are not natural weapons.

Those who live in or near the wilds revere and fear The Hunter and his clerics. As winter sets in and hunting becomes necessary for survival, The Hunter's followers grow in influence. In times of hardship his followers bring meat to the fires of starving folk, but it is also a time of danger as in the deeps of winter they are said to hunt and eat people. Saner folk know this to be untrue, but rural folk leave offerings of the sweetmeats of animals they butcher.

When hunting, the followers of Makadda neither ear nor drink, believing that thirst and hunger sharpen their instincts. While abstaining from food and drink, the follower is immune to damage from extreme environments such as frozen forests or arid wastes. Drowning and falls do normal damage. When a Hunt is declared the cleric must name the specific type of creature being hunted. The hunt ends when the cleric eats or when the appropriate type of creature has been slain. A cleric who ends a hunt without a kill loses the ability to replenish spells of hir highest spell level until s/he does complete a hunt.

Followers of The Hunter revel in the kill, but they only hunt to feed themselves or others in need. Wanton killing of wildlife is not tolerated by the clerics of Makadda. The idea of selling something they have slain is repugnant to them, but they do accept offerings to their god.

Spell: Hunter's Claws
    Cleric, level 1
    Transmutation
    Components: Verbal, Somatic, and Material (claw of a carnivore)
    Casting Time: One Turn (ceremonial casting, must not be interrupted or it fails.)
    Duration: One hunt or one day maximum.
    Area of Effect: Caster only

When under the effects of this spell a cleric of Makadda grows claws similar to the claws of the carnivore used as the material component of the spell. While a shrew's claws are tiny, they are as effective as dire bear claws for the purposes of this spell. The spell does not confer the Natural Weapons feat or any of its effects. It specifically stacks with the Magic Fang spell so long as the tooth and claw of the same kind of carnivore is used as a material component for both spells. To qualify as suitable for this purpose, the claw, (and Fang, if applicable) must have been obtained on a hunt.

The effects of this spell scale with level, up to Level 20.
    {Level: Bonus To Hit/Bonus Damage (Equivalent Magic Enhancement)}
    1: +1/+1 (na)
    2 +1/+2 (na)
    3 +1/+1d4 (na)
    4 +1/+1d4+1 (na)
    5 +2/+1d6 (+1)
    6 +2/+1d6+1 (+1)
    7 +2/+1d8 (+1)
    8 +2/+1d8+1 (+1)
    9 +3/+1d10 (+2)
    10 +3/+1d10+1 (+2)
    11 +3/+1d12 (+2)
    12 +3/+1d12+1 (+2)
    13 +4/+2d6 (+3)
    14 +4/+2d6+1 (+3)
    15 +4/+2d8 (+3)
    16 +4/+2d8+1 (+3)
    17 +5/+2d10 (+4)
    18 +5/+2d10+1 (+4)
    19 +5/+2d12 (+4)
    20 +5/+2d12+1 (+4)

Level applies only to cleric levels. The bonus to hit is added to BAB. The bonus to damage is added to the normal damage and strength bonus of every successful attack. Equivalent Magic Enhancement is applied to determine if an attack penetrates Damage Reduction.

Well that's an interesting take! Although this one seems very bent on nature despite having no nature domains. Where did inspiration for this come from? I'll take a whack at it myself and see what I come up with too.
    Last edited by Hazeeb; 2018-01-08 at 12:32 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Hazeeb View Post
    Spoiler: Makadda, The Hunter
    Show

Well that's an interesting take! Although this one seems very bent on nature despite having no nature domains. Where did inspiration for this come from? I'll take a whack at it myself and see what I come up with too.
    Because Makadda has no power over growth, trees, beasts, weather, or elements, I thought Nature would not be appropriate for his portfolio.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Spoiler: Lepra, The Wasting Warrior
    Show

Lepra
    The Desperate Hunger, The Wasting Zealot, The Thirsting Shroud, The Final Defiance, The Blighted Hero
    Areas of concern: Martyrdom, final stands, starvation, disease
    Domains: Courage Thirst Hunger Strength (adding) Decay
    Alignment: LG, NG, CG
    Worshipers/Servants: Warriors, diseased, destitute, lepers, cursed paladins
    Symbol: A longsword in front of a rusted steel shield, wrapped in bloody bandages

Lepra is a minor deity, perhaps even a demi-god, that came into existence during The Long Night. Unlike most gods who tend to distance themselves from those that worship and invoke their name, Lepra is active among his patronage. He appears to those desperate and suffering from starvation, thirst and impending doom. To invoke Lepra is to accept one's imminent fate and those that summon him are doomed to join the ranks of his cursed army upon their demise. For those he appears before willingly, it is a sign that nearly impossible odds are about to be faced. Not every battle faught by those assisted by Lepra ends in defeat however, and those that live beyond their last stand or fallen foe live to spread their belief in his existence. He seems especially eager to assist against the undead but his presence has been noted in countless battles against enemies of all kinds.

Once a mortal paladin, Lepra commanded a fierce legion of warriors that defended his homeland. For nearly thirty two years he was instrumental in staving off attacks from aberrations, elves and monstrous things best forgotten. He was strong but his time in command humbled him greatly and he never failed to fight on the front lines with his fellow warriors. However, that changed when an expedition into the Plaguesands where he defeated an army of undead under the power of the arch fey necromancers. Infuriated with his victories over their superior numbers, they cursed him with a supernatural wasting disease. Its vicious nature was worse than mummy rot yet it moved slowly and wracked him with terrible hunger, endless thirst and weakening pain. When his soldiers witnessed parts of him rot away they beat a hasty retreat but were relentlessly hunted by the undead. Soon they found themselves at a mountainous ravine with no way to cross and the enemy at their backs. One soldier spotted a tall rotted tree that would bridge the divide but to cut it down as they faced the enemy spelled certain defeat. The men despaired, thinking themselves dead for certain, until Lepra wordlessly stood, drew his sword and shield and walked toward the entrance of the ravine. There he stood, in spite of his malediction, and bitterly resisted the coming hoard. He weathered blow after blow and fell several times, yet he stood and persevered against the tide, moving so quickly his bloody bandages became a shroud of white and red. The men watched this as they felled the tree and made their way across. Where as they faced doom before, one by one, they made their way to safety as their commander sacrificed himself. Eventually the hoard grew to numerous even for Lepra and the undead attempted to consume him. As their rotting mouths ripped into his flesh Lepra gave on final cry of defiance and slammed his sword into the stone beneath his feet, filling the air with a flash as lightening burst from the sky. The last soldiers witnessed an explosion of light and a shock wave burn the undead into ash and scatter into the wind. The only remnants of the powerful warrior remaining were his discarded shield and the embedded blade, wreathed with bloody bandages. Continuisly struck by lightening, they eventually burned to cinders and blew away leaving nothing behind.

Lepra is humanoid in shape but his race is long forgotten. He stands decrepit and hunched, covered in bloody bandages that whip violently through the storm that always accompanies him. His clothing is little more than tattered rags and the patchwork armor he sports is covered in rust. He wears no shoes or helmet, and his entire face is bandaged and bloody, save for one piercing blue green eye that glows brighter the more hopeless a battle seems. His speed and combat skills are breath taking to those he fights alongside. Lepra does not speak but readily offers a bandaged hand those that call out his name.

Last edited by Hazeeb; 2018-01-08 at 03:18 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Because Makadda has no power over growth, trees, beasts, weather, or elements, I thought Nature would not be appropriate for his portfolio.
    Ahh! Its the spirit of the hunt itself! Very interesting.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

when I wrote about Tol Doss, i was thinking of adding a trio of daylight gods, dawn (nonna), noon and dusk. Eos fills the noon rule perfectly, even if they are less known. Now we just need some kind of evening god/dess! Btw, i do have an idea for the Knowledge, Law, Magic domains, that is really out there and different.

Tetikki
    A god that wrote the natural laws of the world, but had to do magic to do so. He hates magic however, because it breaks all the rules, and tried to hide it from the world, keep it from messing iwth his creation. This messed up the other gods, binding them to his rules which they did not like. Some trickster god went to him and distracted him long enough to drill a hole in the bowl inwhich the rules breaking magic was kept. Tetikki Cursed the trickster, and tried to stem the hole with his hand, which kept most of the magic in, however eight streams dribbled through from between his fingers, becoming the eight schools of magic. he forever sits there with his hands plugging the whole, because otherwise the world would fall apart into chaos again.

Since more then any thing, he is a rational god. He does not forbid the use of arcane magic now, but his clergy does have a certain amount of disdain for it. They strive for understanding of the World Proper as they say it, the rules of the world untempered by magic. They also seek to understand this accidental gift of there gods, the magic that he used and made and spills from between his fingers. His ultimate goal is however, to get the whole fixed and rid the world of magic and madness.

I think he can tie in to abberations as well. Perhaps the primordial chaos which existed before the world is where he drew his magic from? and what he is trying ot keep contained now. If so... he was not very effective :P
    LGBTA+itP

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

I think you have something there but its fuzzy. I DO like the idea that the god of magic is reluctant to share it out of disdain rather than greed. That kind of attitude is perfect in fomenting dissent among the other gods.

Without a doubt The Long Night is when most of the dieties were formed. Some came before and are left over from the earliest times in the universes history, but they are usually independant creatures or have been harmed or shattered in some way to dull their powers. The Outer God Shamash in universe is essentially its co-creator along side Azathoth. "She" covers Law, Protection, Sun, Travel, Void. I don't believe she fits the morning sun god slot but it seems like Shamash would be involved somehow.

What if magic was just another thing spawned from Azathoth in the beginning? Given order and law by Shamash it could be embodied as a singular god (or even an abberation) that governs magic. I don't like the idea of a Mystra type entity that messes with magic if its killed but i think there is something here to explore.

The next ones I'm looking forward to seeing are either the evil fey (maybe in the form of a cabal, or a necromantic fey court?) and a deity for the Satyrs who own a magical monopoly on teleportation spells and magic (primarily arcane but also some divine as well).

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

this tetikki myth does not really fit your cosmology no, thats true. But your story of the two creator gods is interesting. He is a pretty conflicted god, being both the governer of magic and disliking it, and trying to impose rules on the chaos but needing chaotic powers (magic) to do so.

With the Fey / Death / Decay god, maybe they can finish our trio of day time goddesses.

Dawn: Nonna
    Noon: Eos
    Dusk: Morganna
    [Death Fey Necromancy Decay Corruption]
    Eater of Days, Evening Beauty, violet lady of the endings, Soul Huntress,

She is hunts the souls of the dying after death, and when her fey hosts catch you, your body comes to live as an undead monster.
    She holds domain over the liminal, the in between, twilight. Between life and death, between day and night. But she is also an ender of things. She tears down the sun every day, and rots and rusts it away. She tempts and corrupts gentle or valorous mortals and brings kingdoms and relationships to ruin.

She is one of the the biggest adversaries of Tol Doss, the other being the Interloper Moon.
    LGBTA+itP

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

I think I was a bit unclear about how I envision Andrigor operating so I'm gonna try to clear it up. Andrigor is normally confined to his home plane of the Dreamlands, but can appear to people through mirrors and in their dreams. When he wants to make a physical appearance however, he must empower a mortal through his crown. This gradually assimilates them into becoming a part of Andrigor, at which point a new host is sought out, beginning the process anew.
    Last edited by Jackalias; 2018-01-08 at 12:01 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Here I offer two deities of magic: Twain and Essi

The deities are unrelated, each having achieved hir position independent of one another. Although they are aware of each other, they have different goals and methods of achieving them, and so they seldom interact.

Twain, The Satyr God, The Wanderer

Domains: Passion, Nature (forests, male verility), Music and Dance, Magic (sorcery and music-related), and Hedonism
    Absolute control of teleportation magic, which he jealously guards.

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Appearance: A Satyr, occasionally depicted with a grossly oversized erect phallus, always depicted with a musical instrument of some kind, most commonly a small lyre or pan pipe. Depictions of him with a recorder-like instrument always refer to his Wild Dance.

Forest dwellers tell of a wanderer, half goat, half man, who lives for the moment, reveling in thunderstorms, playing haunting pipe music which echoes across snow-clad hillsides, or playing a fiddle for a forest village dance. But there is a dark side to this god of instant gratification, and it comes out in The Wild Dance.

Sylvan woodlands of the material plane is his home domain, and Twain has no outer or elemental plane from which to draw the energy he requires to survive. Instead, he draws his strength from the forests of the Material plane. But it is a starvation diet for a god of his power, and so he supplements this with the energy he gains through worship and through The Wild Dance.

On a random night, (or day,) Twain decrees a Wild Dance, and everywhere in the Material Plane his clerics decree an orgy of feasting, music, and dance, and sometimes the barriers of propriety are lowered, depending on the culture. Sorcerers are often believed to have been conceived on the night of a Wild Dance.

But there will also be another dance, in which The Satyr God participates. He sends the message informing his clerics to initiate a Wild Dance by playing his recorder, and any who hear its call must succeed in a Will save to avoid being compelled to follow the sound. When they arrive at the site chosen for the dance, a second save is allowed to break the spell, otherwise the party is on and drinking, eating, dancing, and carousing of the most shameless and wanton sort begins and continues until the participants pass out.

Those who made the first save may tempt to observe the dance, but each turn of observing requires another save to avoid getting caught up in the action.

Those who made the second save, (as opposed to repeated first rolls for observers,) wake after a Wild Dance with a hangover, no memory or vague memories of what happened, and most commonly naked, with his clothing and gear scattered among that of the other participants. At this point roll 1d4-1 to determine how many days the character slept before waking.

For those unfortunate enough to have failed both saves, a grisly fate awaits. During their sleep vines entwined them and began slowly dragging them down into the ground where they are trapped and smothered. Over time tiny roots grow into the body and hasten its decomposition, but the soul is trapped and it will be consumed by Twain at the rate of one level per month. At level zero the soul is gone and cannot thereafter be recovered by any means.

Prior to this a Dig spell can cause the ground to expel the body which, if dead, can be raised or resurrected normally. Levels lost, (the first of which occurs at death,) cannot be recovered except via earning exp.

As the patron of musicians and dancers, Twain is said to be the protector of wandering minstrels and entertainers, who often include one of his clerics and/or bards in their number. He is known to favor them with verility and charm when their creations please The Satyr God.

As the father of sorcery, Twain may literally be responsible for many of the sorcerers of the lands, and they often worship him as a father figure. Fey and other creatures with innate spellcasting power, (or powers which derive from or are accomplished using music,) honor him as their patron and protector.

As the only being native to the Material Plane innately capable of both teleportation and polylocation, (being in more than one location at the same time,) Twain has mapped and secured the many shortcuts between physical locations, allowing his clerics and druids free use and control of instantaneous transportation magic. All who wish to use teleportation magic must first acquire blessings from his clergy, who usually place a time limit on their blessing. Indeed, even wizards researching the spell will never succeed without such blessings. Since clerics of The Wanderer never remain in one place for long, and are notoriously bad at keeping appointments, a wizard may have to go on a quest to find a cleric capable of providing this critical spell component. Twain has never shared this knowledge with other deities who use other means of instantaneous travel for their and their minions' ventures between the Prime and Outer planes.

As fierce as he can be when offended Twain is just as likely to ignore slights, although he reserves the right to bring them up later. Offerings of wine and natural, uncooked foods are left in forest glades by peasants, while those who perform often do so in such places as offerings. Females who wish to become pregnant often sleep in such places overnight to improve their chances to conceive, but in some places it is said children of such unions are always sorcerers. There are no temples to this deity, but for most purposes, forest glades serve as holy ground.

Essi, The Keeper Of The Book, The Star-eyed Goddess, The Wise Crone

Domains: Knowledge, Logic and reasoning, Books, schools, and libraries, Magic (learned such as wizardfy), and Alchemy

Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Appearance: Wearing colorless flowing gowns and wrapped in dragging chains, Essi is always depicted as an old woman carrying a huge tome which is chained to her belt. Sometimes she holds the book like a baby, but in other depictions the book is a massive weight crushing her slight, aged form. When she gazes upon a mortal they invariably report that her eyes are pools of night studded with countless star's.

The Wise Crone hoards knowledge and her greatest joy is in learning something new. While willing to share her knowledge, she requires those who want it to invest the time and effort required to learn it themselves. She gives nothing away, but rewards those who do the work to earn it.

Wizards often use a chain motif when decorating spell books, each spell being a link in their metaphysical chain of knowledge.

Clerics of The Star-eyed Goddess can freely multiclass as wizards, and may add their cleric levels to their wizard levels for effective caster level when casting any prepared spell, (specifically excluding spontaneous casting or innate powers such as sorcerer spells or fey abilities), though this does not alter spells per day. A cleric's skill points invested in Spellcraft must always equal or exceed the cleric's level. A cleric may not advance to a higher level in cleric unless in so doing he assigns enough skill points, excluding bonuses from any source, to meet this requirement.

A cleric of The Book must wear a chain around his waist attached to a book into which they record every day's activities. This book may be a spellbook as well if the cleric desires, or the cleric may choose to keep his known spells in some other book or form.

Essi is said to love logic puzzles, riddles, puzzle boxes and rings, and games of reasoning and knowledge. Thus her clergy are among the very best at solving mysteries. Police organizations are known to employ clerics of Essi to evaluate crime scenes to capture those responsible, and along with mundane problem solving, Essi's priests have access to a feat which allows Forensic Spellcraft techniques to deduce what kinds of magic and which specit is spells have been cast in an area.

Forensic Spellcraft allows very accurate deductions of the Magic used in an area for a number of turns equal to the cleric's level, somewhat less specific information for up to a number of hours equal to hir cleric levels, and vague information up to that number of days. This utilizes a Spellcraft check, the success of which determines the specificity and volume of information the DM provides. A character with this feat may also identify magical signatures of spellcasters, being able to later identify spells cast by that caster, and identify the caster if s/he casts a spell while the cleric can observe hit.

The Star Eyed Goddess can gaze into the eyes of any mortal and know all that s/he knows. This might result in all memories being removed. Such victims almost always thereafter show an affinity for wizardry, but they do require time to relearn everything from walking to potty training. Clerics of Essi always treat these victims, and all amnesiacs, as holy people.

Clerics of Essi perform divination by writing questions in their books. The answers, within the limits of the Magic used, will be written in the book using the cleric's own pen and ink which is consumed by the magic.

Offerings to Essi are predominantly books, library buildings, schools, and new inventions. Those who have offended Essi may appease her by teaching children to read, and clerics of The Book often receive vials of ink, quills, parchment paper, and other supplies required in the bookbinding and scribing crafts as gifts and offerings.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

First off i really like how you have the two of them reflect sorcerers and wizards. It shows some fine attention to detail.

Twain is a little too Pan stereotype but ESSI i can do some thing with. The imagery alone of a figure dragging chains behind them is very interesting.

When you think of satyrs i want you to imagine the most well refined, snooty and aristocratic nation possible: swiss royalty with hooves . They are manipulative and not only worm their way into global politics at every level, but leverage the fact that they practically own teleportation magic and leverage it against everyone.
    Last edited by Hazeeb; 2018-01-11 at 06:57 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Yeah, I was going with a more traditional Satyr motif. Ignore Twain at your pleasure, or tweak him.

The Three Sisters

The daughters of the titan of Air, the Three Sisters control and direct the winds of the world.

Their shared portfolio includes Elemental Air, Avians, Sailing, and Flying, but each also holds her own domains.

Ydd, The North Wind, Winter's Wife

Domains: Cold, Frozen Wastes, Winter

Appearance: A skeletal, blue-skinned woman with very thin white hair unbound and windblown, usually accompanied by a raven. Her clothing is ice and snow which clings to her emaciated figure in a parody of an alluring gown.

The eldest sister is cruel, delighting in blighting crops and encasing unwary winter travelers in ice. Under the lash of her cruel husband Winter, the North Wind brings cold to lands far south of the frozen seas where her husband's castle of ice floats shrouded in haze and frozen mists. Few even among ice dwellers love she whose gaze can freeze even flames.

Corsa, The South Wind, The Blushing Maid

Domains: Spring, Fertility, Maidens

Appearance: A barefoot nubile maiden in a coarse, frayed, homespun gown, usually blond or red-haired, with touseled curls. She is accompanied by flocks of sparrows and songbirds.

The South Wind heralds Spring, bringing thaws to frozen lands, prompting plants to germinate and wild animals to breed. Of the three she is the sister most closely associated with her birds, and in many tales she is mistaken for a sparrow, robin, or similar songbird.

Cera, the West Wind, Mother of Grains

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Domains: Grain Crops and Harvests, Seagulls, Oceanic Trade Winds

Appearance: the middle sister appears as a middle aged peasant, her eyes squinted and crow-footed, and her face wind burned. Her hair is almost always concealed beneath a shawl.

When she controls the winds she is far less malignant than her elder sister and far less playful than her younger, bringing rain and sun in their turns to create mild days, cool nights. Her blessings of mild weather and occasional rain endear her to farming folk who also fear her wrath, which can take the form of giant funnel storms which toss aside anything in its path, or hailstorms which destroy crops as they ripen.

The father of the winds resides upon a cloud castle in The East, a mythological place from which the Sun and the Moons rise, and in which the gods trapped the most dangerous of the titans who are said to be continuing their eternal war of creation beyond the edge of the world. For obvious reasons Elemental Air cannot be contained, and the chariots of the Sun and moons, created by the gods, can fly over the Wall Of Dawn on their appointed rounds. When the East Wind blows it is in mighty and destructive storms. Nobody but a few insane people worship Elemental Air, and he grants no clerical powers.

Instead, he is revered as the Father of the Winds, and shares in his daughters' worship. Shrines to The Three Sisters are open air sites built in locations which offer wide views of the sky. Although clerics must devote themselves to one goddess, followers of this triad always include all three when building and consecrating shrines and temples which, if roofed, have the ceremonial area on top of the building.

A note on Titans:

The elemental gods care nothing for human worship. They wage an eternal war amongst themselves in their prison, which is located beyond The Wall of Dawn, a massive structure created by the gods which separates the Material Plane from the Elemental Planes. Minions of the Titans escape on occasion, and the elder gods are themselves former minions and children of the Titans.

On occasion a mortal may cross the wall and wrest a kingdom from the chaos of the eternal War of Creation. Such a challenger must impose hir version of order and stability upon a region, controlling it as a god and forcing it to conform to hir desired shape, terrain type, and weather. Only one in a thousand have any degree of success, but those who do become demigod who rule over the new piece of creation. When the gods have decided the new area of creation is ready the Wall Of Dawn is moved further East to encompass the new realm as an addition to the Prime Material Plane.

Mortals may also create chaos and disruption to the point where the Wall is moved West to exclude a region of instability, but since most chaotic souls don't care, certain that all of creation is temporary and doomed to fail eventually no matter what they do, the attempt is seldom made.

One side effect: Dawn is also associated with memory, so moving the Wall is something mortals will never remember. New lands will be 'remembered' as if they were always there, and excised lands will be forgotten as if they never existed.
    Last edited by brian 333; 2018-01-09 at 10:09 AM.