Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Creating new gods for Pyria - all ideas and suggestions welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    Yeah, I was going with a more traditional Satyr motif. Ignore Twain at your pleasure, or tweak him.
    I'm going to take him in a different direction. If anything you inspired me to THINK about how to make something like him even more uncomfortable for a player. I think I'll be switching the two gods genders and make the bookish one male and the traditional pan into a female. Something along the lines pf pied piper might do nicely.

Hmm...

Oooh! I like the sisters! More so, I love shared power between a group of beings as one god. Even if they each have their own domains its much easier to work with the three of them as one for desperate sailors. How do worshipers offer patronage? Sacrifices? Offerings?
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Pryia homebrew world. Come look, ask questions and find your path to glory!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Okay after putting some thought into it I think I have a new take on the concept you came up with. I mixed in a lot of the elements you adapted from oldschool pan and shifted the name into something femenine. Its not totally original but that wasn't the point of the name anyway. XD

Spoiler: P'hann
    Show

P'hann
    The Weeping Mother, Mistress of the Garden Arch, The Child Thief, The Horned Matron

Adjective: P'hannite
    Home: The Garden of Shadows, Demiplane
    Alignment: Neutral Good
    Areas of concerns: Satyrs and fauns, bards, arcane portals, depressed and angry children, motherhood, fertility, merriment
    Worshipers Satyrs, Fauns, good aligned forest spirits, mothers, children, The Druids
    Cleric Alignments
    LG NG CG
    LN N CN
    LE NE CE
    Domains Nature, Passion, Portal, Music, Joy
    Favored Weapon compound bow
    Symbol Green eye over brown and gold circular horn
    Sacred Animal goat
    Sacred Colors brown, gold, green

P'haan is the goddess and twin sister of Acherius. She rules over her people as the mother of their race but does not guide them in the same way as her brother. P'haan brings life to her people through the transformation and rebirth of lost, sad angry children and gentle spirits into Satyrs. Long has she lamented in her role as the Horned Matron, yet without her the satyrs would have fallen to extinction millennia ago. She bitterly weeps whenever the music stops and life within her demiplane falls silent. She is often tended by nymphs and unicorns and hunts exotic prey in the mortal and supernatural realms until it is time to repeat the cycle once again.

As the Mistress of Garden Arch, her power extends from the Garden of Shadow into nearly every realm known to mortals and beyond. Always, when a portal forms to her forbidden grotto, strongly enchanted music and song accompanies it. To hear these haunting, joyful melodies the pull to follow them is nearly impossible to ignore. Emotional children and gentle spirits are most sensitive to the call of P'hann and often run off without warning, leaving frantic parents behind. Upon reaching one of her Garden Arches, the traveler steps into a massive twilight grotto filled with twinkling fireflies and nature spirits eager to greet them. They play and laugh and dance, giving the interlopers every bit of love they have, even watching as the goddess herself joins and frolics among her guests. Enchanted guests are free to do whatever they please in this realm and are encouraged to express their joy at their new home. Those under P'haan's enchantment cannot easily be convinced to leave and soon frolic themselves into exhaustion. Then, weeping bitterly, the Child Thief draws their souls from their bodies and form them into stones, which are passed to her priestesses and ingested as the bodies melt away into dust and eternally glowing embers. The priestesses magically bare new satyr and faun children within a week and then whisk them away to Acherius's realm for education, study and induction into Satyr society. When every soul is gone P'haan falls into a deep depression and either weeps for months, or distracts herself with wild hunts beyond her realm.

P'haan appears as a 7 foot tall female satyress with the soft black haired legs patterned like a deer and ending in hoofs. Her upper body, like all satyrs, is humanoid and her skin matches her fur in color. Black hands sport three thin gold bands on each finger. Thin piercings dot her humanoid face and cracking, crying lines have formed under her glowing, opaque green eyes. Four horns curl from her flowing red hair, one set curling upward as an elderly ram, the other shorter set drooping to flank her jawline. Sparkling jewelry hangs to connect her horns and enhance her natural beauty. Her expression frequently shifts from mournful regret, bittersweet joy, and loving pity. She wears robes made of lush animal fur ranging from various forest denizens collected from her worshipers. She carries a gnarled wooden staff ringed with ivy and topped with a glowing crystal that matches the green of her eyes. During times of battle she casts off her furs and assumes dark leather druid or ranger armor studded with bones and horns, and her staff shifts into the legendary weapon Heartstriker.

Edit: Wow this one got hard to write. I really felt for her as I imagined her pulling the souls out of their mouths after hours of fun and laughter. I love how gritty this world is but i really feel for this deity. Didn't help that I listened to "Come little Children" on repeat for inspiration.

I can't wait to take a crack at Ellis tomorrow!
    Last edited by Hazeeb; 2018-01-09 at 10:21 PM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I fell asleep last night while writing The Three Sisters, so I finished it today. Do feel free to tweak or disregard the added info.

As for offerings to the sisters, if it can't be turned into smoke or steam, the sacrificial item must be rendered into a powder.

Ydd is sometimes appeased by blood on the snow. Her more devout clerics may insist that unwashed newborns birthed in winter storms, (and sometimes their mothers as well,) will state her appetites for death and destruction, for a time. Less fanatic clerics offer animal blood, lambs and calves born early, or stillborn. Anything seen by a crow will become known to her eventually, and winter travellers tend to feed crows the scraps of their meals or even leave offerings of uncooked grain.

Cera is appeased by offerings of prepared foods and gauzy textiles. Linen made from flax is preferred, especially when crafted into clothing. Cotton is also nice, but felt, leather, or clothing made from hides is only acceptable if it is all the worshipper has. The swaddling clothes of an infant are often burned at midsummer to invoke good luck for the child. Typically in midsummer a village will gather in a planted field for a banquet of summer bounty and revelry, burning the remains of the feast so Cera will get her share.

Corsa loves butterflies, birds, and flowers. Her clerics often collect pupal cases of caterpillers over the winter, and count the first day of spring from their emergence as butterflies, which they release as part of their spring fertility rites. Clouds of butterflies are released by the young girls who became women in the last year, and they count the butterflies which land on them as a joking kind of prediction of the number of children she will bear in her lifetime. (Clever mothers wash the girls ceremonial robes with the girl's urine and thus attract many newly hatched butterflies which crave the mineral salts that precipitate as the urine dries.) Ceremonial gowns which include, or may be crafted wholly from, bird feathers, are often passed from mother to daughter, or are shared by the daughters of a household.

As the observant may note, these deities have too many domains, but I like the idea of a shared portfolio. Pick two or three which suit your needs as available to all three, then give one or two unique domains to each individual. Only one of the three will be active at any one time anyway. The exact combination of domains will have to suit your campaign.

As a final note, I completely forgot to write a paragraph about Cera's affinity for sailors. I had an idea of a god of adventure and trade as her husband or intermittent lover who takes the form of a giant seagull or a dashing swashbuckler. Of course, I fall back on my original excuse that it was very late and I barely got to the save changes button before I fell asleep!
    Last edited by brian 333; 2018-01-09 at 11:17 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

With Apsu being the top dragon god, this one came out of left field for me. I like being challenged like that because now the door is open to have more than one smaller dragon diety about. Tiamat's civil war during the war among creator races really messed them up for a time, especially since chromatic and metallic are not racially divided like most campaigns. its all about principle and politics when choosing which god to follow for them.

So he's DYING? I wonder if its some kind of wasting supernatural curse or disease. When he passes do the other minor gods fight over his portfolio, or share them among each to become stronger? Obviously a lot of inspiration here came from Eberron's cooperative effort between all dragon kind.
    I cant quite see how you would think Melikzca to be dying?
    On the COntrary, the Humanoid Dragon God is quite on the Rise lately, and with that many domains I would not call him a minor GOd either...;)

As for my Lich Idea: I will do it these days, sadly dont have the time for it today.
    YOua re sure multiple Lich Gods wont be toor edundant? My idea was not TOO innovatice/different after all ...
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Good clarification!

And go for the lich. I live seeing ideas executed differently.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Firbolg in the Playground

Tarrasque Father
    Alignment: True Neutral
    Domains: Destruction, Protection, Repose, Earth
    Portfolio: Canyons/Valleys, Burial Grounds, Monsters
    Worshipers: Those wishing protection from animals, the insane, well wishers for the dead, canyon/valley dwellers.
    The first Tarrasque, and father of all Tarrasques. He was slain by lesser gods in the distant past, and thus he is the protector of burial grounds. Let in to a Pantheon for his worthiness of a rival, he was slowly elevated to a full 10 DvR over the centuries.
    Last edited by ArlEammon; 2018-01-09 at 07:59 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by ArlEammon View Post
    Tarrasque Father
    Alignment: True Neutral
    Domains: Destruction, Protection, Repose, Earth
    Portfolio: Canyons/Valleys, Burial Grounds, Monsters
    Worshipers: Those wishing protection from animals, the insane, well wishers for the dead, canyon/valley dwellers.
    The first Tarrasque, and father of all Tarrasques. He was slain by lesser gods in the distant past, and thus he is the protector of burial grounds. Let in to a Pantheon for his worthiness of a rival, he was slowly elevated to a full 10 DvR over the centuries.
    The idea of a gozilla type deity is intriguing. I already have plans to integrate Achaekek into Pyria and it crosses my mind that perhaps it was he who made this kill in the distant past. That being said, how would you suggest integrating Tarrasques onto the world enough to warrant their own deity? Even encountering ONE is enough to cause a TPK most of the time. Further, the nature of a Tarrasque is one of destruction seemingly for destruction' sake. Clarify this idea more for me so I can consider all of its angles.

Also (showing my true colors here) what does "10 DvR" mean?
    Last edited by Hazeeb; 2018-01-10 at 06:59 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38

Quote Originally Posted by Hazeeb View Post
    The idea of a gozilla type deity is intriguing. I already have plans to integrate Achaekek into Pyria and it crosses my mind that perhaps it was he who made this kill in the distant past. That being said, how would you suggest integrating Tarrasques onto the world enough to warrant their own deity? Even encountering ONE is enough to cause a TPK most of the time. Further, the nature of a Tarrasque is one of destruction seemingly for destruction' sake. Clarify this idea more for me so I can consider all of its angles.

Also (showing my true colors here) what does "10 DvR" mean?
    The idea is that The Father (Of Tarrasques) is the first ever Tarrasque. Now there may only be one, or even a handful of Tarrasques but they were all slain by deities, or something of similar power. Also, the Tarrasque is just barely smart enough to be considered racially sapient. That means that Tarrasques may have different personalities, OR it could mean that Tarrasques were just almost wiped out BECAUSE of their pure destructive natures.

DvR 10 is the measure of divine status, the maximum DvR for a Lesser God. Also, the Tarrasque wouldn't be a racial deity, but a deity of certain monsters, nations/tribes, valleys, canyons, and burial grounds. Since The Father is dead, it became a deity of burial grounds, and who knows, it's destructive battle with gods probably created certain valleys, and canyons, as well as corpses.
    Last edited by ArlEammon; 2018-01-10 at 09:50 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39

NecromancerGuy

Here we go, something different on the Lich route.

Spoiler: The Eternal Knight
    Show

The Undying Protector, All-surviving Warrior, the Lich-King

Mortal name (that very few know but close allies may use): Therioss

Domains Passion, Undeath, Repose, Time
    Favored Weapon: Bastard Sword
    Symbol: a Mailed Fist in Silver on a Field of BLack

Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    Areas of concerns: Preventing the Worlds Destruction, Protecting Civilization, Prolonging the Existance of the worthy
    Worshipers: Knights, some Elven Dissident Sects, Intelligent Undead, Ruthless Defenders of Civilization/The World

Many milennia ago, one of the few not QUITE as Evil Elven Sects aimed their pursuite of power more towards the Undeath Arts than trying to bring back the Old Ones. It did not end well, they were discovered, and crushed utterly.

Fast forward a few centuries, and enter a young, rather good-aligned Half Elf named Therioss finding the information they left behind.

THerioss, at that time, was the armoed protector of a small but growing School of Wizardry, that interestingly focussed on Transformation and Necromancy.
    he decided to pursue the forbidden knowledge he found in his aim to always be there to protect his charge. Many failures followed, and THerioss began to age, his martial prowess ebbing, while his arcane prowess grew.
    His School therewhile made the mistake of offending a nearby Dragon, who, after overcoming his lazyness, decided to destroy the Shcool, just the day after Therioss finally manaeged to transform into a Lich...of a sort.

One can imagine the Blue Dragons Surprise when a fully armored Knight stepped out to face him alone, and even mnoreso after that knight had simply ignored its Electricityy Breath Attack, and managed to kill him with 2 strikes.

However, the rest of the School was not quite as happy, as Theiross reveiled what he had become. Only after submitting to three oaths (to protect the School as long as it existed, to prevent the Worlds Destruction, and one that was not reveiled) they allowed him to keep his role as protector.

Which he did for almost a full milennium. At that day soemthing he could not prevent (namely a meteor Strike, likely from an Epic Spellcaster) destroyed the School, and freed the Lich Knight to continue his own pursuits to power.

A Short 200 years later, he had claimed the portfolio of a nascent God by devouring him, and has grown to be a stern, unyielding protector of Pyre since then. As he has only one passion, and that aligns with his Vows, his gaze always seeks for threats to the world to destroy, and allies/Followers to recruit for that task.

Not that anyone, even his followers, LIKE him much, given his cold and harsh personality, but noone can dispute his dedication or Power.

And so Pyre will stand, as long as Therioss does. At Least some prophecies say so....

Last edited by GrayDeath; 2018-01-10 at 10:03 AM.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

10. - Top - End - #40

HalflingPirate

Ur'ru, The Weeping God, The Blind God

Alignment: Lawful.

Domains: Law, Justice, Punishment (for crimes), Human cities and kingdoms.

Appearance: This god is always depicted seated, sometimes with an orb in hand. He is a patriarchal male of stern demeanor, bald, with a white tonsure and flowing beard. He never smiles, and is depicted either with a blindfold, (usually bloody,) or with empty eye sockets, usually dripping tears of blood.

In life Ur'ru was a king who grew to prominence by creating a just system of criminal law at a time when kings and warlords ruled by fiat. From a small kingdom, Ur'ru launched a campaign of non-military conquest by inviting kings into his realm, offering protection and demanding they adopt his system of legalism. His 'empire' collapsed upon his death, but his system of written law and established punishments continued to spread and thus his influence spread and continues to spread even though few codes of law now reflect his original documents on the subject.

A religious myth of his cult has him, as a young man, beseeching the gods for a system which was both just and functional, which in his day appeared to be an unresolveable contradiction. The gods, fearing the potential of human expansion, refused, believing that if humans had justice they would not fight among themselves and the natural limit on their growth would be removed. But a single god of law offered him the first code of human laws in exchange for his eyes, saying, "Justice cannot come unless all who come before the judge receive equal treatment regardless of wealth, power, influence, or appearance. Justice must be blind." Without hesitation, Ur'ru agreed.

Ur'ru is said to weep tears of blood when handing down judicial punishment, but whether he weeps for the victim, the criminal, or himself is unknown.

Clerics of Ur'ru are almost always judges, court clerks, or advocates, although many court officials are experts and professionals without cleric levels. They wear simple robes of undyed wool which range across all the colors natural to the donor animals. An orb, typically of polished wood, but also made of many other sturdy materials, is used ceremonially and as a holy symbol.

When performing in a judicial role, clerics blindfold themselves. While not required to permanently blind themselves, many clerics appointed as judges make use of the Blindness spell. Clerics, Paladins, and other divine caster classes seeking atonement from Ur'ru must blind themselves by some means until the atonement is completed. A cleric who gives up his physical eyeballs will be granted a +5 bonus to Sense Motive checks, but regeneration nullifies this bonus.

Clerical writings and magical scrolls crafted by members of this cult utilize clay tablets which hold impressions which can be felt by a blind reader, but which can also be read by sighted people. These tablets are reused for unimportant writings, but must be baked dry for durability, ease of transport, or to retain the magic of the spell when used as a spell scroll. They range from palm-sized note pads to tabletop sized official pronouncements. Scroll tablets weigh 4 ounces per spell level. (16 ounces per pound.)

While the laws of many lands differ, Ur'ru honors them all, (within their jurisdiction.) Divine casters who violate these local laws lose the ability to gain new spells until they have been judged by the local authority and punished for their transgression.

If a divine caster of Ur'ru's faith discovers an unjust law s/he is obligated to correct it, but only by legal means. Intenional defiance of any law is a serious transgression requiring atonement.

Blind people are welcomed by clerics of Ur'ru, generally being employed as menial labor if they have no skills which would be useful to the clergy.

Spell:
    Blindsight
    Level: Cleric 3
    Type: Abjuration
    Casting Time: 1 round
    Duration: 1 hour/cleric level
    Components: V, S, M, (holy symbol of Ur'ru which is not consumed by the spell.)
    Area Of Effect: Caster Only, (30' sight radius)

Blindsight may only be used by clerics of Ur'ru, and may only be cast if the character is unable to see. In darkness, even a glimmer of light causes this spell to fail, though light seeping past a blindfold which obscures vision does not.

When active this spell acts as a clairvoyance spell, but it is always centered on the caster. The images are clear enough to identify individuals, but it is limited to a 30 foot radius around the caster. The recipient cannot see through or past obstructions which would block normal sight.

Spot, search, or other sight-based skills suffer a -5 penalty
    In combat the -4 to hit penalty vs. Invisibility applies to all targets. Ranged attacks beyond 30' are treated as shooting into 100% concealment in addition to the standard penalty for attacking an unseen target.
    Creatures in hiding or concealment gain a +4 or 20% bonus to remain unseen if their concealment is not magically augmented.

On the other hand, the 360 degree view this spell offers negates any flanking bonuses against the cleric.

Invisible opponents can be 'seen' while under the influence of this spell, and Improved Invisibility is treated as simple Invisibility.

While under the influence of this spell, magical camouflage or concealment is irrelevant but the non-magical skills are unaffected.

The cleric's Listen skill is improved by +5 while this spell is active.

Blindness spell when cast upon a character with an active Blindsight spell negates the spell, but the Blindsight spell also negates any other effect of the spell.

Adventuring clerics of Ur'ru may be Inquisitors seeking out injustice, bounty hunters seeking to return fugitives to face their accusers or punishments, or questors performing tasks for their superiors. Paladins may be guards and constables, or they may be circuit court type judges who travel sparsely settled regions administering Low Justice while arresting and bringing before High Courts prisoners accused of High Crimes.

(Low Justice is considered to be crimes for which the penalties are not permanent, such as by maiming or execution. Long term sentences of incarceration (for more than one year) may be considered Low Justice, but as a practical matter such cases are usually referred to higher courts. Crimes involving nobility or public officials are always referred to higher courts.
    Last edited by brian 333; 2018-01-10 at 02:54 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

The idea is that The Father (Of Tarrasques) is the first ever Tarrasque. Now there may only be one, or even a handful of Tarrasques but they were all slain by deities, or something of similar power. Also, the Tarrasque is just barely smart enough to be considered racially sapient. That means that Tarrasques may have different personalities, OR it could mean that Tarrasques were just almost wiped out BECAUSE of their pure destructive natures.

DvR 10 is the measure of divine status, the maximum DvR for a Lesser God. Also, the Tarrasque wouldn't be a racial deity, but a deity of certain monsters, nations/tribes, valleys, canyons, and burial grounds. Since The Father is dead, it became a deity of burial grounds, and who knows, it's destructive battle with gods probably created certain valleys, and canyons, as well as corpses.
    Oh, of course, you were referring to 3.5 material! Its been a hot minute since I even looked at deities and demi gods from that line of books. XD

That being understood I would probably knock him down from 10 to 1-4. This isn't to reduce his title as father of Tarrasque but to reflect that a smaller group would offer him worship. I can see this being a Druidic deity for sure since getting his attention usually means sicking a Tarrasque on their nearest enemies. He seems to be a circumstantial god rather than one that clawed his way up through intelligence or design. I still like it though and may do some tweaking so he and Achaekek have a oooooold school feud. Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by GrayDeath View Post
    Here we go, something different on the Lich route.

Spoiler: The Eternal Knight
    Show

The Undying Protector, All-surviving Warrior, the Lich-King

Mortal name (that very few know but close allies may use): Therioss

Domains Passion, Undeath, Repose, Time
    Favored Weapon: Bastard Sword
    Symbol: a Mailed Fist in Silver on a Field of BLack

Areas of concerns: Preventing the Worlds Destruction, Protecting Civilization, Prolonging the Existance of the worthy
    Worshipers: Knights, some Elven Dissident Sects, Intelligent Undead, Ruthless Defenders of Civilization/The World

Many milennia ago, one of the few not QUITE as Evil Elven Sects aimed their pursuite of power more towards the Undeath Arts than trying to bring back the Old Ones. It did not end well, they were discovered, and crushed utterly.

Fast forward a few centuries, and enter a young, rather good-aligned Half Elf named Therioss finding the information they left behind.

THerioss, at that time, was the armoed protector of a small but growing School of Wizardry, that interestingly focussed on Transformation and Necromancy.
    he decided to pursue the forbidden knowledge he found in his aim to always be there to protect his charge. Many failures followed, and THerioss began to age, his martial prowess ebbing, while his arcane prowess grew.
    His School therewhile made the mistake of offending a nearby Dragon, who, after overcoming his lazyness, decided to destroy the Shcool, just the day after Therioss finally manaeged to transform into a Lich...of a sort.

One can imagine the Blue Dragons Surprise when a fully armored Knight stepped out to face him alone, and even mnoreso after that knight had simply ignored its Electricityy Breath Attack, and managed to kill him with 2 strikes.

However, the rest of the School was not quite as happy, as Theiross reveiled what he had become. Only after submitting to three oaths (to protect the School as long as it existed, to prevent the Worlds Destruction, and one that was not reveiled) they allowed him to keep his role as protector.

Which he did for almost a full milennium. At that day soemthing he could not prevent (namely a meteor Strike, likely from an Epic Spellcaster) destroyed the School, and freed the Lich Knight to continue his own pursuits to power.

A Short 200 years later, he had claimed the portfolio of a nascent God by devouring him, and has grown to be a stern, unyielding protector of Pyre since then. As he has only one passion, and that aligns with his Vows, his gaze always seeks for threats to the world to destroy, and allies/Followers to recruit for that task.

Not that anyone, even his followers, LIKE him much, given his cold and harsh personality, but noone can dispute his dedication or Power.

And so Pyre will stand, as long as Therioss does. At Least some prophecies say so....

I see nothing wrong with having liches as deities. This gives me things to ponder in good ways as well. Don't ever hesitate in posting a deity simply because another one is similar. If anything I want to see differences that help spark new ideas. Good work!

Ur'ru, The Weeping God, The Blind God
    Spoiler: Ur'ru
    Show

Alignment: Lawful.

Domains: Law, Justice, Punishment (for crimes), Human cities and kingdoms.

Appearance: This god is always depicted seated, sometimes with an orb in hand. He is a patriarchal male of stern demeanor, bald, with a white tonsure and flowing beard. He never smiles, and is depicted either with a blindfold, (usually bloody,) or with empty eye sockets, usually dripping tears of blood.

In life Ur'ru was a king who grew to prominence by creating a just system of criminal law at a time when kings and warlords ruled by fiat. From a small kingdom, Ur'ru launched a campaign of non-military conquest by inviting kings into his realm, offering protection and demanding they adopt his system of legalism. His 'empire' collapsed upon his death, but his system of written law and established punishments continued to spread and thus his influence spread and continues to spread even though few codes of law now reflect his original documents on the subject.

A religious myth of his cult has him, as a young man, beseeching the gods for a system which was both just and functional, which in his day appeared to be an unresolveable contradiction. The gods, fearing the potential of human expansion, refused, believing that if humans had justice they would not fight among themselves and the natural limit on their growth would be removed. But a single god of law offered him the first code of human laws in exchange for his eyes, saying, "Justice cannot come unless all who come before the judge receive equal treatment regardless of wealth, power, influence, or appearance. Justice must be blind." Without hesitation, Ur'ru agreed.

Ur'ru is said to weep tears of blood when handing down judicial punishment, but whether he weeps for the victim, the criminal, or himself is unknown.

Clerics of Ur'ru are almost always judges, court clerks, or advocates, although many court officials are experts and professionals without cleric levels. They wear simple robes of undyed wool which range across all the colors natural to the donor animals. An orb, typically of polished wood, but also made of many other sturdy materials, is used ceremonially and as a holy symbol.

When performing in a judicial role, clerics blindfold themselves. While not required to permanently blind themselves, many clerics appointed as judges make use of the Blindness spell. Clerics, Paladins, and other divine caster classes seeking atonement from Ur'ru must blind themselves by some means until the atonement is completed. A cleric who gives up his physical eyeballs will be granted a +5 bonus to Sense Motive checks, but regeneration nullifies this bonus.

Clerical writings and magical scrolls crafted by members of this cult utilize clay tablets which hold impressions which can be felt by a blind reader, but which can also be read by sighted people. These tablets are reused for unimportant writings, but must be baked dry for durability, ease of transport, or to retain the magic of the spell when used as a spell scroll. They range from palm-sized note pads to tabletop sized official pronouncements. Scroll tablets weigh 4 ounces per spell level. (16 ounces per pound.)

While the laws of many lands differ, Ur'ru honors them all, (within their jurisdiction.) Divine casters who violate these local laws lose the ability to gain new spells until they have been judged by the local authority and punished for their transgression.

If a divine caster of Ur'ru's faith discovers an unjust law s/he is obligated to correct it, but only by legal means. Intenional defiance of any law is a serious transgression requiring atonement.

Blind people are welcomed by clerics of Ur'ru, generally being employed as menial labor if they have no skills which would be useful to the clergy.

Spell:
    Blindsight
    Level: Cleric 3
    Type: Abjuration
    Casting Time: 1 round
    Duration: 1 hour/cleric level
    Components: V, S, M, (holy symbol of Ur'ru which is not consumed by the spell.)
    Area Of Effect: Caster Only, (30' sight radius)

Blindsight may only be used by clerics of Ur'ru, and may only be cast if the character is unable to see. In darkness, even a glimmer of light causes this spell to fail, though light seeping past a blindfold which obscures vision does not.

When active this spell acts as a clairvoyance spell, but it is always centered on the caster. The images are clear enough to identify individuals, but it is limited to a 30 foot radius around the caster. The recipient cannot see through or past obstructions which would block normal sight.

Spot, search, or other sight-based skills suffer a -5 penalty
    In combat the -4 to hit penalty vs. Invisibility applies to all targets. Ranged attacks beyond 30' are treated as shooting into 100% concealment in addition to the standard penalty for attacking an unseen target.
    Creatures in hiding or concealment gain a +4 or 20% bonus to remain unseen if their concealment is not magically augmented.

On the other hand, the 360 degree view this spell offers negates any flanking bonuses against the cleric.

Invisible opponents can be 'seen' while under the influence of this spell, and Improved Invisibility is treated as simple Invisibility.

While under the influence of this spell, magical camouflage or concealment is irrelevant but the non-magical skills are unaffected.

The cleric's Listen skill is improved by +5 while this spell is active.

Blindness spell when cast upon a character with an active Blindsight spell negates the spell, but the Blindsight spell also negates any other effect of the spell.

Adventuring clerics of Ur'ru may be Inquisitors seeking out injustice, bounty hunters seeking to return fugitives to face their accusers or punishments, or questors performing tasks for their superiors. Paladins may be guards and constables, or they may be circuit court type judges who travel sparsely settled regions administering Low Justice while arresting and bringing before High Courts prisoners accused of High Crimes.

(Low Justice is considered to be crimes for which the penalties are not permanent, such as by maiming or execution. Long term sentences of incarceration (for more than one year) may be considered Low Justice, but as a practical matter such cases are usually referred to higher courts. Crimes involving nobility or public officials are always referred to higher courts.

I love that you keep coming up with additional items like spells! Very helpful when it comes to practical use among clerics. I suggest that you stick with either legendary artifacts OR holy tomes and books that I can place into treasure piles for me party members.

I like the idea of this deity, especially that he got his status from another deific entity of law. This makes me think that he somehow spoke with Shamash, The Outer God.
    Spoiler: Shamash
    Show

“The Lion of Law, the Watcher of the Ways”

Alignment: LN
    Domains: Law, Protection, Sun, Travel, Void
    Portfolio: justice, life, long journeys, space, the sun and stars
    Favored Weapon: warhammer

Shamash sees the universe with a billion eyes, gazing out of every sun and watching the miracle of life unfold. As a powerful but impartial observer, many of his worshipers are devoted to concepts of justice and maintain that the stars are metaphors for the life-giving rule of law. There are few authorities for peace in the outer realms, but inquisitors of Shamash watch over entire star systems in order to prevent exploitation or violent conquest.

I think re-flavoring him to reflect such a form of contact might make him better. Also, too many deities come from royalty these days. Perhaps a regular judge+inquisitor or wizard? I think I have a few ideas on how to reinterpret this but I'll let you have the first shot if you like.

Also please make use of the "spoiler" icon located in the post menu when making future entries. Its located just under the picture of the "insert image" icon of a tree. That will make reading and replying to your posts easier.

Great creativity here!
    Last edited by Hazeeb; 2018-01-10 at 07:14 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42

HalflingPirate

Making Ur'ru a demigod under a senior deity would be in character and as you note I've already implied such a relationship. Plus, I'm not really fond of the name. I was going for something that sounded primitive, and Hamurabbi was on my mind at the time, so I just morphed the City Of Ur into a king's name. Feel free to adapt any part of any idea I present, because Lord knows I've done a bit of that myself.

Spoiler: Blindfolds of the Weepers
    Show

Clerics of The Crying God, on rare occasions, give needy blind people this item. More commonly, such items are used by adventuring clerics of Law. Donning this blindfold grants any non-chaotic character the benefits and penalties of the Blindsight spell.

These items are difficult to create, so most are passed on to a new user or returned to the temple when the user doesn't need it any more or want to pass it along to someone with a greater need.

Such blindfolds must be created when a cleric of Law removes hir eyes. The magical blindfold created from the bandages used to bind hir wounds are enchanted via a complex set of rituals which end only upon the death of the cleric who is creating them. If the cleric restores his sight in any way other than via use of the Blindsight spell prior to death, the item creation fails.

Only one attempt may be made per mortal. Even dying and being raised, resurrected, or reincarnated is not enough to be given a second chance.

Upon the creator's death, the blindfold becomes a blessed artifact of the faith, granting the benefits and penalties of the Blindsight spell. Being made of cloth, such items will eventually fray and fall apart, but these axiomatic items will remain potent for a number of turns equal to the number of turns worn by its creator.

Frugal owners of such items only don them at need and remove them when sight is not absolutely necessary to extend the life and usefulness of the item.

Spoiler: The Masks Of Zaria
    Show

Few know tbe origin of these nearly indestructible items but all who learn of them fear them.

When appearing as a mute the cruel jester discards these items carelessly, casually flinging away each mask as s/he desires to display a new expression. The discarded mask, imbued with demonic energy, blows away like a sheet of paper in the wind, seeking a performer of little skill but lofty ambition.

Each mask is unique, with its own magical bonuses, but in general they tend to improve Charisma Ability and Performance Skill. But each also has a unique expression and over time the mask imposes its emotional state upon the user, in dramatic fashion. Joy becomes manic cheeriness, anger becomes black, unthinking rage, etc., with the wearer driving away those who are less than fawning fans and sychophants. Over time the mask shifts the wearer's alignment towards chaos and evil until one night after a performance...

"The crowd sat stunned, then chaos erupted as patrons ran screaming for the exit, or made noises of outrage and anger. The comedian laughed, enjoyi g the elaborate joke those fools were too stupid to comprehend: it was about power over others.
    He patted the cheek of his assistant, a volunteer from the audience who had walked on the stage of his own free will, sat and then allowed himself to be bound to the chair. The fool was still waiting for the punchline when the comic slashed his throat! In a flash of light and smoke the comic was gone.
    In his dressing room the comic quick-changed into his disguise and grabbed his valise. Tomorrow he would be far from here, on a stage before a real crowd. He would be famous! He turned and froze at the sight of the child wearing the porcelain mask so like the one he had donned so long ago. But hers had one squinting eye, as if she were examining something mildly disgusting. Before he could move she reached out and touched his face.
    Pain. In a miniscule segment of time he experienced true pain, made worse by the assurance it would never end.
    The child pulled and the mask which had vanished into his flesh came out, his soul still attached to the laughing porcelain visage, his body falling away lifelessly.
    Struggling was painful. Not struggling was painful. When the child placed his fzce in her pouch among stacks of others his pain was amplified by that of the millions who had also trusted.
    Laughing was painful."
    Last edited by brian 333; 2018-01-11 at 01:19 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Making Ur'ru a demigod under a senior deity would be in character and as you note I've already implied such a relationship. Plus, I'm not really fond of the name. I was going for something that sounded primitive, and Hamurabbi was on my mind at the time, so I just morphed the City Of Ur into a king's name. Feel free to adapt any part of any idea I present, because Lord knows I've done a bit of that myself.

Spoiler: Blindfolds of the Weepers
    Show

Clerics of The Crying God, on rare occasions, give needy blind people this item. More commonly, such items are used by adventuring clerics of Law. Donning this blindfold grants any non-chaotic character the benefits and penalties of the Blindsight spell.

These items are difficult to create, so most are passed on to a new user or returned to the temple when the user doesn't need it any more or want to pass it along to someone with a greater need.

Such blindfolds must be created when a cleric of Law removes hir eyes. The magical blindfold created from the bandages used to bind hir wounds are enchanted via a complex set of rituals which end only upon the death of the cleric who is creating them. If the cleric restores his sight in any way other than via use of the Blindsight spell prior to death, the item creation fails.

Only one attempt may be made per mortal. Even dying and being raised, resurrected, or reincarnated is not enough to be given a second chance.

Upon the creator's death, the blindfold becomes a blessed artifact of the faith, granting the benefits and penalties of the Blindsight spell. Being made of cloth, such items will eventually fray and fall apart, but these axiomatic items will remain potent for a number of turns equal to the number of turns worn by its creator.

Frugal owners of such items only don them at need and remove them when sight is not absolutely necessary to extend the life and usefulness of the item.

Spoiler: The Masks Of Zaria
    Show

Few know tbe origin of these nearly indestructible items but all who learn of them fear them.

When appearing as a mute the cruel jester discards these items carelessly, casually flinging away each mask as s/he desires to display a new expression. The discarded mask, imbued with demonic energy, blows away like a sheet of paper in the wind, seeking a performer of little skill but lofty ambition.

Each mask is unique, with its own magical bonuses, but in general they tend to improve Charisma Ability and Performance Skill. But each also has a unique expression and over time the mask imposes its emotional state upon the user, in dramatic fashion. Joy becomes manic cheeriness, anger becomes black, unthinking rage, etc., with the wearer driving away those who are less than fawning fans and sychophants. Over time the mask shifts the wearer's alignment towards chaos and evil until one night after a performance...

"The crowd sat stunned, then chaos erupted as patrons ran screaming for the exit, or made noises of outrage and anger. The comedian laughed, enjoyi g the elaborate joke those fools were too stupid to comprehend: it was about power over others.
    He patted the cheek of his assistant, a volunteer from the audience who had walked on the stage of his own free will, sat and then allowed himself to be bound to the chair. The fool was still waiting for the punchline when the comic slashed his throat! In a flash of light and smoke the comic was gone.
    In his dressing room the comic quick-changed into his disguise and grabbed his valise. Tomorrow he would be far from here, on a stage before a real crowd. He would be famous! He turned and froze at the sight of the child wearing the porcelain mask so like the one he had donned so long ago. But hers had one squinting eye, as if she were examining something mildly disgusting. Before he could move she reached out and touched his face.
    Pain. In a miniscule segment of time he experienced true pain, made worse by the assurance it would never end.
    The child pulled and the mask which had vanished into his flesh came out, his soul still attached to the laughing porcelain visage, his body falling away lifelessly.
    Struggling was painful. Not struggling was painful. When the child placed his fzce in her pouch among stacks of others his pain was amplified by that of the millions who had also trusted.
    Laughing was painful."
    Oooh I LIKE those masks. What an interesting idea for an artifact. Perhaps the Masked Mute cannot assume that same face if someone picks it up and ends up waiting for them to get nice a ripe for her to pluck. Excellent idea.

14. - Top - End - #44

HalflingPirate

d6 Re: Creating new gods for Pyria - all ideas and suggestions welcome.

You might also have them be actual faces of the demon who can see everything seen by a mask wearer.

I had toyed with the idea that the masks would turn the wearer into minions of the deity rather than just provide souls to torture and consume. The image in my mind was of the mute drawing a mask from her pouch which she can command, or she could spill a handfull of them and have an instant army of animated masks to fight for her.

The image in my head was of a swarm of flying masks with ghostly wisps suggesting a shredded soul clinging to them. They are, of course, mute, even though they all seem to have something they want to scream, if they could.

Spoiler: Robe Of Mouths
    Show

What appears to be a robe of eyes is actually a relic produced by priests of The Lord Of Slime.
    It will function as the common magic item, but each time it is removed a Will save is made to avoid its curse. A successful roll allows the robe to be removed with no effect. Failure, however, activates its second power.

Removal of the robe after failing the save allows the wearer to detect some blemishes on hir skin, as if someone had drawn small, curved lines at random all over hir body with a twig of poison ivy. Over time these lines grow and either begin to sprout coarse black bristles or puffy pink swellings. Both types of blemish continue to swell, then split along the length of the blemish, exposing gums into which teeth begin to grow or eyes which blink and look around randomly. Wearing clothing becomes uncomfortable, but the naked or scantily clad victim cannot be flanked. The progress continues until bones atropht, limbs are subsumed, and all traces of human origin are lost and the former character becomes a gibbering mouther.

The transformation requires d20+Cha days to complete. During that time a remove curse will halt the progress of the curse, but will not remove any effects which have already been applied. As time passes apply the effects as shown below:

Immediately - The victim has visible blemishes which are gross looking, -1 Charisma per day thereafter, (record numbers below zero)
    1/4 of the time to complete transformation - the first eyes and mouths open, the character gains 270 degree forward facing, 90 degree flank facing, and no rear facing. Hunger forces the victim to consume double rations or suffer fatigue which speeds the transformation by an extra day for each day of fatigue.
    1/2 of the transformation time - most of the eyes and mouths have opened, clothing becomes excessively ucomfortable and armor becomes too uncomfortable to wear. The character cannot be flanked. Hunger requires triple or quadruple rations to stave off the effects of fatigue.
    3/4 progression - the mouths begin chittering, moaning, babbling, and repeating sounds, negating any attempt to sneak unless under the influence of a silence spell. The physical extremities atrophy and the torso begins to bloat, rendering any kind of clothing unwearable. -1 Dex per day thereafter until it reaches zero, at which point the character no longer has hands.
    9/10 complete - only the character's head remains at this point. For whatever reason the priests of the king of slimes always design these items to allow the victim to experience the complete transformation before their minds are consumed by the madness. At this point a cleric of any deity or alignment may beg for intercession and, if granted, they become clerics of Primal Slime, shifting to a chaotic alignment, but possibly retaining their position on the good or evil axis. All other victims simply morph into gibbering mouthers, becoming monster NPCs.

Remove Curse will halt the progress of the spell, but it will not remove any imposed effects.
    Restoration will have no effect until the transformation has been reversed. Polymorphing the victim will simply result in the new form having the same disability and disfiguration.
    Atonement can only repair Alignment Damage, and will not affect any other alteration.
    Heal, cast prior to the 1/4 completion mark, will reset the progress of the transformation but will not stop it from immediately beginning again.

But there has to be a way to cure these poor victims, right? Sounds like an epic quest to me!

The already mentioned Cleric of Madness halts the progress of the transformation by serving the Slime Lord, but in time their condition will resume deterioration until the cleric completes the transformation. Such gibbering mouthers may retain spellcasting ability, but will cast known spells randomly without thought for effectiveness or purpose. One might cast Harm one round and Heal the next. Hunger, not logic, drives such creatures.

Those who halt the progress of this transformation remain disfigured and are generally shunned by almost everyone. They retain the penalties and benefits of the transformation at the point their progress was stopped. Thereafter they suffer a disability versus slimes, molds, fungi, and abberations of a chaotic nature, which gain a +4 Enhancement bonus to all attacks against the victim of the curse, and such creatures will attack the victim in preference to any other target unless obstructed.

Spoiler: DM Note
    Show
    Tne observant may note that Remove Curse halts the progress of the curse, allowing the victim time to seek a Heal spell if the progress is stopped before the eyes and mouths begin to open. Immediately after the Heal spell, a second Remove Curse will again halt progress, resulting in only the antipathy to slimes effect remaining active. This does not fully remove the condition, but it makes it manageable.

I need to do something that'snot a curse. This gets depressing! I know, time for some Dixie Rock. You can't be sad when you listen to that!

Spoiler: Butterflies!
    Show

The First Butterfly Of Spring
    A cleric, sorcerer, or wizard who is devoted to Corsa may gain an insect companion or familiar. Each begins in much the same way, by collecting pupating caterpillars during the winter. Each then follows a slightly different method of binding the creature.

Clerics feed flowers and mineral salts to the butterflies they collected over the previous winter as they emerge from their chrysalis and release the adult butterflies in spring fertility rites. But one buttefly may choose to remain with the cleric for the summer, growing larger until it reaches a body length and girth of about the size of a girl's forearm. Its wings at that point are from two to four feet across, (a meter, more or less.) For DMs, simply treat the butterfly like the druid/ranger companion. Such creatures always die soon after the first frost of autumn.

Wizards and sorcerers care for the chrysalis in place over the winter and provide it with flowers and mineral salts upon emergence, whereupon they may cast the Find Familiar spell. Success indicates Corsa has imbued the creature with a CG spirit. This creature is in every way a familiar, growing to S size in a manner similar to the cleric's companion above. Its lifespan is extended to that of its arcane master.

Corsa's Butterflies are Small sized, 1HD Insects with no physical attack abilities. Butterfly familiars follow all rules for familiars.

Special Attack: Distraction - the butterfly can flap in the face of foes, distracting them at a critical time. Treat as the Aid Another action, except that in addition to the +1 bonus the victim must make a will save of DC15+Master's Cha Bonus or be treated as Flat Footed for that round.

Supernatural Attack: Confusion Attack - three times per day the butterfly, by presenting its color pattern to its foe, can create a Confusion spell's effects on that foe, using its master's caster level.

Special Defenses: the butterfly is treated as though under the effects of a permanent Displacement spell.

Fire attacks which inflict even 1HP of damage render buttefflies flightless.

Frost or Cold attacks which inflict damage do double damage and cause butterflies to become sessile until warmed in the sun for an hour per HP of damage.

Butterfly Brooch
    Invoking the power of this brooch causes a 10' sphere centered on the brooch to erupt in a cloud of thousands of magical but normal-sized butterflies which swarm for 3-12 rounds before dispersing. One of these creatures will be the brooch wearer who can fly away indistinguishable from any of the thousands of insects other than through True Sight. Meanwhile, the cloud obscures vision as if 100% cover until it dissipates.

Last edited by brian 333; 2018-01-11 at 04:35 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

i need to do something that'snot a curse. This gets depressing! I know, time for some dixie rock. You can't be sad when you listen to that!

never! Depressing, angsty and infuriating music is best for all things.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Halfling in the Playground

Here's two more, a crocodile and an archdevil:

Spoiler: Krokk'shaw
    Show

Krokk'shaw
    The Crocodile King, the Deathmaw, the Lurker in the Depths

Domains: Animal, Beastial, Scalykind, Strength, Watery Death
    Alignment: N
    Worshipers/Servants: Lizardfolk, Reptiles (Alligators/Crocodiles in particular)
    Symbol: The jaws of a giant crocodile biting down on the skull of a black dragon

Long ago, during the Long Night, a group of lizardfolk who had yet to come to worship Yig were assailed by an evil black dragon who sought to turn them into his slaves. The lizardfolk fought back, but the dragon was stronger, beating the tribe into near submission. Only the chieftain of the tribe remained, but just as the dragon was about to finish him off, a giant crocodile emerged from the waters and assailed the dragon. Being quite young, the black dragon was unable to fight off the might of the beast and was slaughtered, dragged down to the deep for consumption by the victor.

The lizardfolk tribe came to venerate this crocodile as a divine being, and began to venerate it as such, giving it offerings and saying prayers to it in battle. Over time, the worship the lizardfolk gave the crocodile power, and as the tribe grew and their veneration of it increased, the crocodile, named Krokk'shaw by the tribe, managed to gain status as a demigod.

Krokk'shaw demands little from his followers, needing only their prayers and frequent offerings of meat to be satisfied. Still, his followers often venerate their god in other ways, such as through the creation and performance of elaborate rituals, and combating the servants of Yig, who many servants of Krokk'shaw believe to be a threat to their god.

-

Spoiler: Miira
    Show

Miira
    The Mirage Mistress, the Giver of False Hopes, the Desert Monarch

Domains: Diabolic, Illusion, Sand, Suffering, Sun
    Alignment: LE
    Worshipers/Servants: Devils, Dopplegangers, the Dying, Illusionists, Mimics, Scorpions, Sphynxes, Vultures
    Symbol: A skeleton lying within an oasis

A dying man slowly stumbled through the desert sands under the scorching hot, unforgiving sun, his legs nearly having given out. His entire body was dripping with sweat as another wave of exhaustion coursed through his form. He slumped over onto his knees, breathing heavily, licking his cracked, pained lips, but to no avail, for his tongue was just as dry.

He looked up at the giant ball of flame that hung in the sky before letting out a strained curse at the mostly forgotten god Eos, knowing well that he was more than likely to die of starvation or thirst long before any of her felines could possibly reach him. As he did so, he could see out of the corner of his eye the vultures that had been circling above him for some time now, waiting for him to drop so they could pick the carrion off his bones.

Continuing on his futile march towards an unknown destination that some minute, dying part of him still hoped would be some form of relief from the scorching hell he was in, whatever form it may take. He trudged to the edge of the dune he was on, looking down at the sands below.

And there, he saw it.

Below him, illuminated by the sun, lied a beautiful, lush oasis.

His lips quivered, before breaking out into a large grin. He forced himself onward to the sliver of paradise.

The grass beneath his boots was a vibrant green, a welcome change from the beige sands. The leaves of branches of towering trees provided much needed shade, a shield from the unforgiving rays of the sun, and the lower branches grew large, succulent fruits that tasted like the ambrosia of the gods as he bit into them. And of course he couldn't forget the large pool of heavenly blue water that lied at the center, slowly rippling as a formerly unnoticed cool breeze that blew over it. Laughing with purest of joys, he excitedly plunged in, in euphoria as the cool liquid flowed over his body.

But then, in naught but a blink, it was all gone. The grass, the trees, the shade, the fruits, the water, all of it gone. In his mouth lied countless grains of sand and small pebbles, which he quickly spat out, coughing as all the searing pain that had previously been lifted tore across his feeble body once again. The cries of the overhead vultures quickly filled his ears as he began to sob is misery, falling onto his back as he gave in to despair.

It had all been an illusion, a vile, damning mirage that had taunted him so, holding out salvation before pulling it back and striking him across the face, laughing...wait. That laughter was not in his thoughts.

Confused, he opened his eyes, and before his eyes floated above the ground a tall, beautiful, six armed woman. She wore a bediah that looked to be made of swirling sand and fire, and her body was adorned with shining jewels and gold. Her eyes were like miniature suns that nearly blinded him when he dared look into them. Swaying behind her were a bushel of black scorpion tails. In each of her six hands she held a long, golden scimitar.

She laughed to herself as she slowly, sensually danced toward him. As she grew closer, he could vaguely see that this appearance held a vaguely transparent, shifting quality to it, as if naught but an overlayed image, but he could not make out what may have lied beneath.

"Aw, did someone enjoy my sweet little gift, hmm?" she said in a happy, singsong tone that overlayed a dark, booming, secondary voice, "Why, I'm positively flattered!"

She grinned, revealing rows of black fangs, licks of flames escaping her maw from between her teeth as she bent down to level her face with his, one finger gently lifting his head to look at her as her smile fell to a frown.

"Hmm...but you seem so melancholy now? Whatever could be the matter? I thought you'd liked my present...", she said, feigning a sorrowful tone, before a giggle escaped her lips as wisps of flames shot from her nostrils.

"Oh, I know. It's because it just couldn't last, isn't it?" she questioned tauntingly, before standing herself back up, turning away from him.

"Well, I'm afraid, my dear, sweet, little friend, that good things like that simply don't last forever..."

She paused, before turning her head back to face him, her mouth twisting into an unnatural, impossibly wide grin, one that made his entire being shudder with primal fear.

"At least, not without a price..."

The lesser archdevil Miira is said to be the incarnation of the collective dreams of those who have died in the desert wastes, twisted into a vile fiend by the Nine Hells itself.

Miira claims dominion over the desert wastes of the world, in particular the Desert of Desolation, where her influence upon the mortal world is said to be at its greatest. There, she taunts the dying with her mirages, holding hope before them before tearing it away, just to laugh at their misery. Occasionally, however, she will send an aspect to visit them, offering to make her illusions a reality for them, for a price. What this price is can be a variety of things, most often their souls or the souls of others, or both. Those who fail to uphold their end of the bargain find themselves dragged to her sandy domain in the hells, where they are left to eternally rot under its scorching sun, never allowed the release of death.

Cultists of Miira are often the priorly mentioned dying she appears to, though are frequently intermixed with other desert dwellers, illusionists in particular. Rarely are they seen without at least one doppleganger, who are said to be Miira's favored race. They frequently utilize scorpions and escpecially vultures, who are her sacred animal, and through breeding and hellish magics they have created several powerful, fiendish variants of such creatures. Many such breeds have escaped into the wilds and populated themselves, and continue to be a scourge to desert travelers.

Miira dwells in a vast desert expanse within the Nine Hells. It is said to be located on the first hell, Avernus, though some believe it actually lies somewhere within the icy eight hell, Cania. Wherever its true location, this desert, named the Bloodsand Scourge, is a hellish wasteland covered in crimson red sand that slices through armor, clothes, and flesh alike. The black sun that hangs above it is said to emit a searing heat greater than any other desert across the planes. Here, those damned souls Miira has claimed crawl endlessly about the wastes, baked by the scorching heat, taunted by seemingly infinite varieties of illusions tailored specifically for each specific soul, and assailed constantly by vultures that flay the flesh from their bodies, only for it to later regenerate so they may assail them again, never allowed the release of death.

At the center of the Bloodsand Scourge lies Miira's dwelling, a massive sphynx constructed of gold and bone known as the Searing Beast. Should Miira wish, it can animate at her will as a mighty, powerful construct to assail any who would dare oppose her.
    Last edited by Devcon1; 2018-01-12 at 01:36 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47

OldWizardGuy

Here's my stab at the conflicting mix of domains you mentioned. :)

Hierarch

Titles: The Benevolent Dictator, The Hanging Dagger
    Home: The Plane of Shadow
    Portfolio: Non-democratic governments, state-delivered justice, night
    Worshipers: Aristocrats, Paladins, Rogues, Commoners
    Cleric Alignments:
    LG NG CG
    LN N CN
    LE NE CE
    Domains: Darkness, Good, Retribution, Shadow, Tyranny
    Favored Weapon: Dagger
    Symbol: Cold iron dagger affixed to adamantine collar soldered around bearer's neck
    Sacred Animal: Spider
    Sacred Colors: Black and Grey

The tale of the monarch who reigns from underneath a hanging dagger is well-known, and Hierarch is the personification of that dagger. He bestows mortal castes and sovereigns with the divine right to rule, but they must always remember to rule justly and well lest he strike them down from the darkness.

Hierarch is the god of benevolent dictatorships, of benign secret societies, of powers behind the throne who manipulate ends for the greater good. Inscrutable and mysterious, he is a god of vengeance but strikes down only those who are truly evil. A god of night, he teaches that not all things that that shroud themselves in darkness need be feared or distrusted.

Although Hierarch is a god of Tyranny - of control, manipulation, and domination - he is not a deity of Evil or Law, and not necessarily a god of Community or Nobility. It matters not what kind of society his followers inhabit (be it an aristocracy, magocracy, plutocracy, technocracy...), so long as common citizens are not burdened with the demands and tedium of democracy. Instead, he simply requires that an elite class or individual lead his people with a firm (yet forgiving) hand.

Hierarch manifests as a drider, save that his drow features instead match the race of whomever he is appearing before. He is surrounded by an aura of shadows and ghostly spiderwebs in this form.

Trust your leaders, and your fate is in safe hands.

Lead your people well, or the dagger may fall...
    Last edited by rferries; 2018-01-12 at 08:35 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Devcon1 View Post
    Here's two more, a crocodile and an archdevil:

Spoiler: Krokk'shaw
    Show

Krokk'shaw
    The Crocodile King, the Deathmaw, the Lurker in the Depths

Domains: Animal, Beastial, Scalykind, Strength, Watery Death
    Alignment: N
    Worshipers/Servants: Lizardfolk, Reptiles (Alligators/Crocodiles in particular)
    Symbol: The jaws of a giant crocodile biting down on the skull of a black dragon

Long ago, during the Long Night, a group of lizardfolk who had yet to come to worship Yig were assailed by an evil black dragon who sought to turn them into his slaves. The lizardfolk fought back, but the dragon was stronger, beating the tribe into near submission. Only the chieftain of the tribe remained, but just as the dragon was about to finish him off, a giant crocodile emerged from the waters and assailed the dragon. Being quite young, the black dragon was unable to fight off the might of the beast and was slaughtered, dragged down to the deep for consumption by the victor.

The lizardfolk tribe came to venerate this crocodile as a divine being, and began to venerate it as such, giving it offerings and saying prayers to it in battle. Over time, the worship the lizardfolk gave the crocodile power, and as the tribe grew and their veneration of it increased, the crocodile, named Krokk'shaw by the tribe, managed to gain status as a demigod.

Krokk'shaw demands little from his followers, needing only their prayers and frequent offerings of meat to be satisfied. Still, his followers often venerate their god in other ways, such as through the creation and performance of elaborate rituals, and combating the servants of Yig, who many servants of Krokk'shaw believe to be a threat to their god.

-

Spoiler: Miira
    Show

Miira
    The Mirage Mistress, the Giver of False Hopes, the Desert Monarch

Domains: Diabolic, Illusion, Sand, Suffering, Sun
    Worshipers/Servants: Devils, Dopplegangers, the Dying, Illusionists, Mimics, Scorpions, Sphynxes, Vultures
    Symbol: A skeleton lying within an oasis

A dying man slowly stumbled through the desert sands under the scorching hot, unforgiving sun, his legs nearly having given out. His entire body was dripping with sweat as another wave of exhaustion coursed through his form. He slumped over onto his knees, breathing heavily, licking his cracked, pained lips, but to no avail, for his tongue was just as dry.

He looked up at the giant ball of flame that hung in the sky before letting out a strained curse at the mostly forgotten god Eos, knowing well that he was more than likely to die of starvation or thirst long before any of her felines could possibly reach him. As he did so, he could see out of the corner of his eye the vultures that had been circling above him for some time now, waiting for him to drop so they could pick the carrion off his bones.

Continuing on his futile march towards an unknown destination that some minute, dying part of him still hoped would be some form of relief from the scorching hell he was in, whatever form it may take. He trudged to the edge of the dune he was on, looking down at the sands below.

And there, he saw it.

Below him, illuminated by the sun, lied a beautiful, lush oasis.

His lips quivered, before breaking out into a large grin. He forced himself onward to the sliver of paradise.

The grass beneath his boots was a vibrant green, a welcome change from the beige sands. The leaves of branches of towering trees provided much needed shade, a shield from the unforgiving rays of the sun, and the lower branches grew large, succulent fruits that tasted like the ambrosia of the gods as he bit into them. And of course he couldn't forget the large pool of heavenly blue water that lied at the center, slowly rippling as a formerly unnoticed cool breeze that blew over it. Laughing with purest of joys, he excitedly plunged in, in euphoria as the cool liquid flowed over his body.

But then, in naught but a blink, it was all gone. The grass, the trees, the shade, the fruits, the water, all of it gone. In his mouth lied countless grains of sand and small pebbles, which he quickly spat out, coughing as all the searing pain that had previously been lifted tore across his feeble body once again. The cries of the overhead vultures quickly filled his ears as he began to sob is misery, falling onto his back as he gave in to despair.

It had all been an illusion, a vile, damning mirage that had taunted him so, holding out salvation before pulling it back and striking him across the face, laughing...wait. That laughter was not in his thoughts.

Confused, he opened his eyes, and before his eyes floated above the ground a tall, beautiful, six armed woman. She wore a bediah that looked to be made of swirling sand and fire, and her body was adorned with shining jewels and gold. Her eyes were like miniature suns that nearly blinded him when he dared look into them. Swaying behind her were a bushel of black scorpion tails. In each of her six hands she held a long, golden scimitar.

She laughed to herself as she slowly, sensually danced toward him. As she grew closer, he could vaguely see that this appearance held a vaguely transparent, shifting quality to it, as if naught but an overlayed image, but he could not make out what may have lied beneath.

"Aw, did someone enjoy my sweet little gift, hmm?" she said in a happy, singsong tone that overlayed a dark, booming, secondary voice, "Why, I'm positively flattered!"

She grinned, revealing rows of black fangs, licks of flames escaping her maw from between her teeth as she bent down to level her face with his, one finger gently lifting his head to look at her as her smile fell to a frown.

"Hmm...but you seem so melancholy now? Whatever could be the matter? I thought you'd liked my present...", she said, feigning a sorrowful tone, before a giggle escaped her lips as wisps of flames shot from her nostrils.

"Oh, I know. It's because it just couldn't last, isn't it?" she questioned tauntingly, before standing herself back up, turning away from him.

"Well, I'm afraid, my dear, sweet, little friend, that good things like that simply don't last forever..."

She paused, before turning her head back to face him, her mouth twisting into an unnatural, impossibly wide grin, one that made his entire being shudder with primal fear.

"At least, not without a price..."

The lesser archdevil Miira is said to be the incarnation of the collective dreams of those who have died in the desert wastes, twisted into a vile fiend by the Nine Hells itself.

Miira claims dominion over the desert wastes of the world, in particular the Desert of Desolation, where her influence upon the mortal world is said to be at its greatest. There, she taunts the dying with her mirages, holding hope before them before tearing it away, just to laugh at their misery. Occasionally, however, she will send an aspect to visit them, offering to make her illusions a reality for them, for a price. What this price is can be a variety of things, most often their souls or the souls of others, or both. Those who fail to uphold their end of the bargain find themselves dragged to her sandy domain in the hells, where they are left to eternally rot under its scorching sun, never allowed the release of death.

Cultists of Miira are often the priorly mentioned dying she appears to, though are frequently intermixed with other desert dwellers, illusionists in particular. Rarely are they seen without at least one doppleganger, who are said to be Miira's favored race. They frequently utilize scorpions and escpecially vultures, who are her sacred animal, and through breeding and hellish magics they have created several powerful, fiendish variants of such creatures. Many such breeds have escaped into the wilds and populated themselves, and continue to be a scourge to desert travelers.

Miira dwells in a vast desert expanse within the Nine Hells. It is said to be located on the first hell, Avernus, though some believe it actually lies somewhere within the icy eight hell, Cania. Wherever its true location, this desert, named the Bloodsand Scourge, is a hellish wasteland covered in crimson red sand that slices through armor, clothes, and flesh alike. The black sun that hangs above it is said to emit a searing heat greater than any other desert across the planes. Here, those damned souls Miira has claimed crawl endlessly about the wastes, baked by the scorching heat, taunted by seemingly infinite varieties of illusions tailored specifically for each specific soul, and assailed constantly by vultures that flay the flesh from their bodies, only for it to later regenerate so they may assail them again, never allowed the release of death.

At the center of the Bloodsand Scourge lies Miira's dwelling, a massive sphynx constructed of gold and bone known as the Searing Beast. Should Miira wish, it can animate at her will as a mighty, powerful construct to assail any who would dare oppose her.
    This pair of deities was SO interesting to read about. You've already ingrained them into the existing lore in a way that opens up new venues to explore. I definitely enjoyed Miira and the poor soul that cursed Eos before she decided to visit him.

Something strikes me about her though. Isn't this more of a demonic schtick than diabolic? Devils are pretty straight to business but she seems to enjoy preying and tormenting her possible future contract holders. Thoughts?

Also, I sent you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rferries View Post
    Here's my stab at the conflicting mix of domains you mentioned. :)

Hierarch

Titles: The Benevolent Dictator, The Hanging Dagger
    Home: The Plane of Shadow
    Portfolio: Non-democratic governments, state-delivered justice, night
    Worshipers: Aristocrats, Paladins, Rogues, Commoners
    Cleric Alignments:
    LG NG CG
    LN N CN
    LE NE CE
    Domains: Darkness, Good, Retribution, Shadow, Tyranny
    Favored Weapon: Dagger
    Symbol: Cold iron dagger affixed to adamantine collar soldered around bearer's neck
    Sacred Animal: Spider
    Sacred Colors: Black and Grey

The tale of the monarch who reigns from underneath a hanging dagger is well-known, and Hierarch is the personification of that dagger. He bestows mortal castes and sovereigns with the divine right to rule, but they must always remember to rule justly and well lest he strike them down from the darkness.

Hierarch is the god of benevolent dictatorships, of benign secret societies, of powers behind the throne who manipulate ends for the greater good. Inscrutable and mysterious, he is a god of vengeance but strikes down only those who are truly evil. A god of night, he teaches that not all things that that shroud themselves in darkness need be feared or distrusted.

Although Hierarch is a god of Tyranny - of control, manipulation, and domination - he is not a deity of Evil or Law, and not necessarily a god of Community or Nobility. It matters not what kind of society his followers inhabit (be it an aristocracy, magocracy, plutocracy, technocracy...), so long as common citizens are not burdened with the demands and tedium of democracy. Instead, he simply requires that an elite class or individual lead his people with a firm (yet forgiving) hand.

Hierarch manifests as a drider, save that his drow features instead match the race of whomever he is appearing before. He is surrounded by an aura of shadows and ghostly spiderwebs in this form.

Trust your leaders, and your fate is in safe hands.

Lead your people well, or the dagger may fall...
    I think this is VERY good. Its an elegant solution to a possibly tricky god. I rather like it!

Further I think gods are better when they have some conflicting or unusual domains. It forces you to think outside the box and become more creative. Your players will never say you didn't put effort into your world. XD

19. - Top - End - #49

HalflingPirate

With the large number of deities presented here on the Chaotic and Evil side of the Alignment Grid I thought it might be nice to focus on Good and Law a bit.

Spoiler: The Refugee Gods
    Show

Spoiler: Split
    Show
    Split, The Rebel, The Tyrant's Nightmare
    Alignment: CG
    Domains: War, Travel, Trickery, Refugees (Protection of,) Traveling Halflings
    Appearance: Split is a halfling god who rejected his pantheon's isolationist attitude, believing his people could be a force for good in the world. He always appears to be a halfling dressed in leather armor, possibly camouflaged, and equipped with adventuring gear. He always looks scuffed and bruised, and usually wears bandages seeping blood.

A native of the Halfling Pantheon's home plane, Split is almost never there. Instead he wanders the material plane seeking out and attacking tyrants and guiding refugees to safety. He has on occasion gifted deserving mortals with magical or normal items to aid in their efforts to protect those fleeing for their lives. Split has an especially intense hatred for intelligent undead and has waged open war against the gods of Necromancy, with whom he refuses any peace offering or accommodation.

Clerics of Split are always adventurers. They have no heirarchy, each following their god's will as they see it. As such, they have no uniforms. Bandannas which can conceal faces are commonly adopted by followers of Split, but their Holy Symbols are always constructed of materials from worn out shoes.

Burying the dead with a shoe on their chest or coffin will prevent that corpse from being animated as undead unless the shoe is first removed. Clerics of Split may treat their Knowledge:Religion skill as if it were also Knowledge: Undead

Offerings to Split always take the form of items which can be used by refugees. Gold, of course, is both portable and useful, but clothing, food, potable water and containers for it, camping tools and gear, or anything a refugee might carry is acceptable.

Spoiler: The Ugly Girl
    Show
    The Ugly Girl
    Alignment: NG
    Domains: Healing, Charity, Good, Peaceful Rest, Beggars and those who endure poverty.
    Appearance: A tween-aged girl dressed in rags with visible boils, pimples, blemishes, and other signs of illness such as runny nose, bloodshot eyes, etc. Even if she were not disfigured by these symptoms, she would not be attractive, having bone deformities and disfiguring scars. If she speaks it is with a voice tormented by laryngitis.

The Ugly Girl has no other names. None know from whence she came, but with the first city she was there. She wanders the back alleys of cities where the poor and down-trodden eke out a living from the scraps of their betters.

She takes the pain of others upon herself, drawing their illnesses, infirmities, and horrors into herself. Those who sleep on the streets claim that to sleep with The Ugly Girl, (as in sleep, not what you were thinking...) is to wake restored to health, fully rested, with vague memories of peaceful dreams.

The Ugly Girl hates those who abuse the poverty-stricken and ill. She is known to mete out punishment by causing the abuser to suffer the fate of their victims. Kings who defied her will have found themselves enslaved, thieves stealing from the poor wake to discover all their possessions gone, slum lords find themselves destitute and homeless, etc. However, her focus is on the care of the poor rather than vengeance, so many minor offenders get away with it...for a while, at least.

On one occasion the gods of Evil allied to eliminate her, but she removed all healing, even natural and monsterous regeneration, from the world, surprising even the gods of Good with the awesome power veiled by her humble demeanor. When the lesser demons and devils realized their superiors were vulnerable they began to kill one another in attempts to assume power for themselves, and their alliance crumbled. The gods of Good begged her to restore healing, which she did, but all of them remember and none interfere with her rather humble goals.

Clerics of The Ugly Girl build hospitals and shelters for the poor and ill, but they do not wait for patients to come to them. Instead, they go into blighted and impoverished areas seeking the ill, aiding the poor, and consoling the dying.

Their Holy Symbol is their bandages which they do not wear, but use to heal and cure the ill. Clerics of The Ugly Girl never involve themselves in politics other than to secure sites upon which they can build hospitals.

Adventuring clerics of this faith are almost always seeking relics of healing which they can use or donate to the needy.

Spoiler
    Show
    Adrinna, The Defender, The True Knight
    Alignment: LG
    Domains: Good, Law, Protection, Guardians, Watchmen, Paladins
    Appearance: This towering figure is always dressed in unadorned armor. She carries a massive greatsword which fights as her companion, a tower shield which defends her, and she wields in combat a massive warhammer which destroys demons on contact.

In the dawn of time, Adrinna wrested a piece of chaos from the void and created a zone of stability upon which the fragile beings born in chaos could cling. As the influence of Law grew, so did her island, which connected to others, eventually forming into our world through the efforts of, and against the obstructionism of, many gods. Adrinna became a protector, guarding those she could, guiding those who would learn from her, and punishing those who defied her.

Her sword and shield are demigods in her service, their domains being Tactics and Defense respectively. They were once heroes in theirmortal lives who performed great deeds in her name. Her hammer is a gift of the God Of Law. It will, by her master's design, serve only Adrinna, and it appears in her hand when she so wills, no matter where it may be.

Spoiler: The Gods Of Civilization
    Show

Spoiler: The Weaver
    Show
    Beilarion, The Weaver, Greenhands
    Domains: Creation, Textiles, Craftsmen, Earned Wealth, Trade and Merchants
    Appearance: A middle-aged human male dressed in worker's clothing with a salt-and-pepper beard and close-cropped hair. He may have one or two ornaments such as rings or necklaaces, but they will appear to be trinkets rather than jewelry of real value.

This lesser deity is the patron of craftsmen, especially weavers and dyers. He blesses those who use their skills to benefit others, and curses those who destroy the work of others. Fishermen also revere him for the nets, lines, and ropes his followers create.

Beilarion knows every craft as if a master, from basket weaving to jewelry making. He is the creator of weaving, and holds spiders to be sacred because he is said to have learned to spin thread from them. Being bit by a spider is said to be a warning from the deity to correct offensive behavior.

His clerics are also craftsmen, building guild halls and mercantiles as temples. Adventuring clerics tend to also be traders, but every cleric of Greenhands must devote at least four skill points to a craft type skill. Dyes, textiles, crafted items, the tools and raw materials used by craftsmen are valued as offerings, and newly appointed apprentices are, by various means unique to each craft, innitiated into his faith.

Spoiler: Pauth
    Show
    Pauth, The Surveyor, The Architect
    Domains: Roads (Travel, Trade,) City Walls (Protection,) Stonemasons, Architects
    Appearance: When not represented as a dwarf, this deity appears as a short, powerful, construction worker, usually holding tools related to the masonry craft or archetect profession. He tends to be depicted as just past middle aged.

Pauth built The Wall Of Dawn to protect the material world from the eternal war of chaos. He has since guided the construction of roads, bridges, and walls, as well as the cities themselves through his clergy who teach his dogma. Great temples, castles, and defense works still stand thousands of years after being built with a degree of precision modern clerics seek, but fail, to emulate.

Pauth opposes any deity of destruction, usually through construction of defenses around their target, thus enabling them to resist.

Clerics of Pauth must have at least one rank in one of the following skills or professions:
    Archetecture
    Knowledge - Construction
    Stonemasonry
    Surveying

Clerics of Pauth assume authority over roads and bridges, collecting tolls to pay for their projects. While they always seek guidance and permission from the lawful authorities before building, when that authority refuses to allow tolls they abandon the region en masse, moving to more cooperative jurisdictions and building there instead.

Tolls are never onerous, and slaves, peasants, and other poor travelers are often allowed to pay in produce, eggs, or similar items. When a project is paid for, including paying off by local benefactors and authorities, the toll collection stations are removed and the road, bridge, wall, or whatever, is passed on to the legal ruler(s) for their use and administration.

Toll booths and waystations are the shrines and temples of this faith, who build no permanent structures for their own permanent use.

Spoiler: Zerath
    Show
    Zerath, The Tyrant, The Father of Corruption
    Domains: Law, Evil, Strategy, Corruption, Tyrants and Usurpers
    Appearance: Zerath appears to be an angry king, either throned or mounted on a nightmare. Whether robed or armored he wears a purple cloak. Like the nightmare, he appears to have flames for eyes and when he opens his mouth, a red glow can be seen with licking flames occasionally escaping. His skin is the pale white of cadavers and he is completely bald.

Zerath commands with an iron fisf, deeming every other entity to be his slave, his cattle, or his foe. Dominate or submit is his creed. His only redeeming feature is that regions under his control are stable, if not prosperous. At times Zerath has made common cause with deities of Law but he has always sought to manipulate agreements to his benefit while abiding by the letter of the agreement. He is a fearsome foe on any battlefield due to his obsession with schemes and long term plans. Long before a foe faces him he has created plans, scenarios, and strategies to defeat them.

Clerics of The Father of Corruption spend a great deal of effort bribing, blackmailing, and bullying officials and nobles. They gain the favor of their god by tempting those who present themselves as honest to abuse their position..Acquisitionof wealth is a minor motivator for these clerics, who seek political control either through corrupted officials or through siezing the reigns (by legal means) and ruling in the Tyrant's name.

The rituals of this faith are secret, but their influence can be felt. Since these folk act with the support of the protection of local authorities, most of whom have been compromised, they are difficult to detect and confront.

In areas where Zerath rules openly, caste systems are imposed which regulate virtually every aspect of life. Acging outside one's assigned caste is generally fatal, as is offending the ruler or hir officials and agents.

Since I can only speculate which deities the OP has selected for hir pantheon, it is difficult for me to 'complete' the domain list posted earlier. It might be helpful for me personally if the domain list was edited to remove those the OP doesn't need any more.

Also note that I have no objection to anyone making use of any of the ideas I've posted here for any purpose from full inclusion to redesign to something to point and laugh at.
    Last edited by brian 333; 2018-01-12 at 06:23 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50

Something strikes me about her though. Isn't this more of a demonic schtick than diabolic? Devils are pretty straight to business but she seems to enjoy preying and tormenting her possible future contract holders. Thoughts?
    I hadn't initially thought of that. I just imagined her as a particularly cruel and sadistic devil.

Perhaps she's in ways similar to Graz'zt, but in reverse. Graz'zt is a demon, but often acts more like a devil. Miira is a devil, but has tendencies more commonly found in demons.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

With the large number of deities presented here on the Chaotic and Evil side of the Alignment Grid I thought it might be nice to focus on Good and Law a bit.

Spoiler: The Refugee Gods
    Show

Spoiler: Split
    Show
    Split, The Rebel, The Tyrant's Nightmare
    Alignment: CG
    Domains: War, Travel, Trickery, Refugees (Protection of,) Traveling Halflings
    Appearance: Split is a halfling god who rejected his pantheon's isolationist attitude, believing his people could be a force for good in the world. He always appears to be a halfling dressed in leather armor, possibly camouflaged, and equipped with adventuring gear. He always looks scuffed and bruised, and usually wears bandages seeping blood.

A native of the Halfling Pantheon's home plane, Split is almost never there. Instead he wanders the material plane seeking out and attacking tyrants and guiding refugees to safety. He has on occasion gifted deserving mortals with magical or normal items to aid in their efforts to protect those fleeing for their lives. Split has an especially intense hatred for intelligent undead and has waged open war against the gods of Necromancy, with whom he refuses any peace offering or accommodation.

Clerics of Split are always adventurers. They have no heirarchy, each following their god's will as they see it. As such, they have no uniforms. Bandannas which can conceal faces are commonly adopted by followers of Split, but their Holy Symbols are always constructed of materials from worn out shoes.

Burying the dead with a shoe on their chest or coffin will prevent that corpse from being animated as undead unless the shoe is first removed. Clerics of Split may treat their Knowledge:Religion skill as if it were also Knowledge: Undead

Offerings to Split always take the form of items which can be used by refugees. Gold, of course, is both portable and useful, but clothing, food, potable water and containers for it, camping tools and gear, or anything a refugee might carry is acceptable.

Spoiler: The Ugly Girl
    Show
    The Ugly Girl
    Alignment: NG
    Domains: Healing, Charity, Good, Peaceful Rest, Beggars and those who endure poverty.
    Appearance: A tween-aged girl dressed in rags with visible boils, pimples, blemishes, and other signs of illness such as runny nose, bloodshot eyes, etc. Even if she were not disfigured by these symptoms, she would not be attractive, having bone deformities and disfiguring scars. If she speaks it is with a voice tormented by laryngitis.

The Ugly Girl has no other names. None know from whence she came, but with the first city she was there. She wanders the back alleys of cities where the poor and down-trodden eke out a living from the scraps of their betters.

She takes the pain of others upon herself, drawing their illnesses, infirmities, and horrors into herself. Those who sleep on the streets claim that to sleep with The Ugly Girl, (as in sleep, not what you were thinking...) is to wake restored to health, fully rested, with vague memories of peaceful dreams.

The Ugly Girl hates those who abuse the poverty-stricken and ill. She is known to mete out punishment by causing the abuser to suffer the fate of their victims. Kings who defied her will have found themselves enslaved, thieves stealing from the poor wake to discover all their possessions gone, slum lords find themselves destitute and homeless, etc. However, her focus is on the care of the poor rather than vengeance, so many minor offenders get away with it...for a while, at least.

On one occasion the gods of Evil allied to eliminate her, but she removed all healing, even natural and monsterous regeneration, from the world, surprising even the gods of Good with the awesome power veiled by her humble demeanor. When the lesser demons and devils realized their superiors were vulnerable they began to kill one another in attempts to assume power for themselves, and their alliance crumbled. The gods of Good begged her to restore healing, which she did, but all of them remember and none interfere with her rather humble goals.

Clerics of The Ugly Girl build hospitals and shelters for the poor and ill, but they do not wait for patients to come to them. Instead, they go into blighted and impoverished areas seeking the ill, aiding the poor, and consoling the dying.

Their Holy Symbol is their bandages which they do not wear, but use to heal and cure the ill. Clerics of The Ugly Girl never involve themselves in politics other than to secure sites upon which they can build hospitals.

Adventuring clerics of this faith are almost always seeking relics of healing which they can use or donate to the needy.

Spoiler
    Show
    Adrinna, The Defender, The True Knight
    Domains: Good, Law, Protection, Guardians, Watchmen, Paladins
    Appearance: This towering figure is always dressed in unadorned armor. She carries a massive greatsword which fights as her companion, a tower shield which defends her, and she wields in combat a massive warhammer which destroys demons on contact.

In the dawn of time, Adrinna wrested a piece of chaos from the void and created a zone of stability upon which the fragile beings born in chaos could cling. As the influence of Law grew, so did her island, which connected to others, eventually forming into our world through the efforts of, and against the obstructionism of, many gods. Adrinna became a protector, guarding those she could, guiding those who would learn from her, and punishing those who defied her.

Her sword and shield are demigods in her service, their domains being Tactics and Defense respectively. They were once heroes in theirmortal lives who performed great deeds in her name. Her hammer is a gift of the God Of Law. It will, by her master's design, serve only Adrinna, and it appears in her hand when she so wills, no matter where it may be.

Spoiler: The Gods Of Civilization
    Show

Spoiler: The Weaver
    Show
    Beilarion, The Weaver, Greenhands
    Domains: Creation, Textiles, Craftsmen, Earned Wealth, Trade and Merchants
    Appearance: A middle-aged human male dressed in worker's clothing with a salt-and-pepper beard and close-cropped hair. He may have one or two ornaments such as rings or necklaaces, but they will appear to be trinkets rather than jewelry of real value.

This lesser deity is the patron of craftsmen, especially weavers and dyers. He blesses those who use their skills to benefit others, and curses those who destroy the work of others. Fishermen also revere him for the nets, lines, and ropes his followers create.

Beilarion knows every craft as if a master, from basket weaving to jewelry making. He is the creator of weaving, and holds spiders to be sacred because he is said to have learned to spin thread from them. Being bit by a spider is said to be a warning from the deity to correct offensive behavior.

His clerics are also craftsmen, building guild halls and mercantiles as temples. Adventuring clerics tend to also be traders, but every cleric of Greenhands must devote at least four skill points to a craft type skill. Dyes, textiles, crafted items, the tools and raw materials used by craftsmen are valued as offerings, and newly appointed apprentices are, by various means unique to each craft, innitiated into his faith.

Spoiler: Pauth
    Show
    Pauth, The Surveyor, The Architect
    Domains: Roads (Travel, Trade,) City Walls (Protection,) Stonemasons, Architects
    Appearance: When not represented as a dwarf, this deity appears as a short, powerful, construction worker, usually holding tools related to the masonry craft or archetect profession. He tends to be depicted as just past middle aged.

Pauth built The Wall Of Dawn to protect the material world from the eternal war of chaos. He has since guided the construction of roads, bridges, and walls, as well as the cities themselves through his clergy who teach his dogma. Great temples, castles, and defense works still stand thousands of years after being built with a degree of precision modern clerics seek, but fail, to emulate.

Pauth opposes any deity of destruction, usually through construction of defenses around their target, thus enabling them to resist.

Clerics of Pauth must have at least one rank in one of the following skills or professions:
    Archetecture
    Knowledge - Construction
    Stonemasonry
    Surveying

Clerics of Pauth assume authority over roads and bridges, collecting tolls to pay for their projects. While they always seek guidance and permission from the lawful authorities before building, when that authority refuses to allow tolls they abandon the region en masse, moving to more cooperative jurisdictions and building there instead.

Tolls are never onerous, and slaves, peasants, and other poor travelers are often allowed to pay in produce, eggs, or similar items. When a project is paid for, including paying off by local benefactors and authorities, the toll collection stations are removed and the road, bridge, wall, or whatever, is passed on to the legal ruler(s) for their use and administration.

Toll booths and waystations are the shrines and temples of this faith, who build no permanent structures for their own permanent use.

Spoiler: Zerath
    Show
    Zerath, The Tyrant, The Father of Corruption
    Domains: Law, Evil, Strategy, Corruption, Tyrants and Usurpers
    Appearance: Zerath appears to be an angry king, either throned or mounted on a nightmare. Whether robed or armored he wears a purple cloak. Like the nightmare, he appears to have flames for eyes and when he opens his mouth, a red glow can be seen with licking flames occasionally escaping. His skin is the pale white of cadavers and he is completely bald.

Zerath commands with an iron fisf, deeming every other entity to be his slave, his cattle, or his foe. Dominate or submit is his creed. His only redeeming feature is that regions under his control are stable, if not prosperous. At times Zerath has made common cause with deities of Law but he has always sought to manipulate agreements to his benefit while abiding by the letter of the agreement. He is a fearsome foe on any battlefield due to his obsession with schemes and long term plans. Long before a foe faces him he has created plans, scenarios, and strategies to defeat them.

Clerics of The Father of Corruption spend a great deal of effort bribing, blackmailing, and bullying officials and nobles. They gain the favor of their god by tempting those who present themselves as honest to abuse their position..Acquisitionof wealth is a minor motivator for these clerics, who seek political control either through corrupted officials or through siezing the reigns (by legal means) and ruling in the Tyrant's name.

The rituals of this faith are secret, but their influence can be felt. Since these folk act with the support of the protection of local authorities, most of whom have been compromised, they are difficult to detect and confront.

In areas where Zerath rules openly, caste systems are imposed which regulate virtually every aspect of life. Acging outside one's assigned caste is generally fatal, as is offending the ruler or hir officials and agents.

Since I can only speculate which deities the OP has selected for hir pantheon, it is difficult for me to 'complete' the domain list posted earlier. It might be helpful for me personally if the domain list was edited to remove those the OP doesn't need any more.

Also note that I have no objection to anyone making use of any of the ideas I've posted here for any purpose from full inclusion to redesign to something to point and laugh at.
    No one is pointing and laughing here. Especially since the idea of Pauth just entered the picture. I can easily see guilds forming around this entity in every major city. Nice work with him!

22. - Top - End - #52

The Book Of Supreme Darkness

This is the very first Book Of Vile Darkness ever created. It was created Aeons ago, some say by Asmodeus himself, or even some kind of Yugoloth. The Book is Neutral Evil, the Domains are Evil, Darkness, Magic, Knowledge, Planning, and Death. It's Portfolio is Evil (Of any kind). It has a history of surviving destruction by superior beings. In previous iterations, the supreme god or gods of entire pantheons have come together to destroy it once and for all, only for it to appear centuries later. The Book is alive, extremely intelligent, and some believe it is the origin of all evil.

Name: The Book Of Supreme Darkness
    Home: The Material Plane (hidden)
    Alignment:Neutral Evil
    Worshipers: typically minor rulers, albeit rarely openly.
    Cleric alignments: Any Evil
    Domains: Evil, Darkness, Magic, Knowledge, Planning, Death
    Favored weapon: Dagger
    Symbol:A ruby hilt dagger
    Sacred animal: A Blackwidow Spider
    Sacred colors: Crimson Throne
    Last edited by ArlEammon; 2018-01-13 at 09:36 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

This is the very first Book Of Vile Darkness ever created. It was created Aeons ago, some say by Asmodeus himself, or even some kind of Yugoloth. The Book is Neutral Evil, the Domains are Evil, Darkness, Magic, Knowledge, Planning, and Death. It's Portfolio is Evil (Of any kind). It has a history of surviving destruction by superior beings. In previous iterations, the supreme god or gods of entire pantheons have come together to destroy it once and for all, only for it to appear centuries later. The Book if alive, extremely intelligent, and some believe it is the origin of all evil.

]

I think the description you have of it reappearing over and over again could be interpreted as it manifesting itself in the minds of those capable of creating it. Those twisted, evil individuals with black souls or aberrant minds. Once destroyed the essence of the book slowly coalesces again in various minds until someone terrible pens it all down, repeating the cycle. It might even take different forms too: tablets, tomes, scrolls etc. If deities have even come together to destroy it with divine magic and it STILL comes back, i think the nature of the material being recorded might be something beyond the gods entirely. If I follow that logic thread this turns into something not only evil but ALIEN.

Could there be an entity behind the tome? Could this be another deity that manifests as the book? Could each user be driven mad from the puzzle pieces that form in their head and be driven to collect them?

This is a very interesting concept. I'm going to expand on it.

GREAT work ArlEammon!

24. - Top - End - #54

]

I think the description you have of it reappearing over and over again could be interpreted as it manifesting itself in the minds of those capable of creating it. Those twisted, evil individuals with black souls or aberrant minds. Once destroyed the essence of the book slowly coalesces again in various minds until someone terrible pens it all down, repeating the cycle. It might even take different forms too: tablets, tomes, scrolls etc. If deities have even come together to destroy it with divine magic and it STILL comes back, i think the nature of the material being recorded might be something beyond the gods entirely. If I follow that logic thread this turns into something not only evil but ALIEN.

Could there be an entity behind the tome? Could this be another deity that manifests as the book? Could each user be driven mad from the puzzle pieces that form in their head and be driven to collect them?

This is a very interesting concept. I'm going to expand on it.

GREAT work ArlEammon!
    Thanks. I appreciate the appreciation. And so repeats the cycle.

25. - Top - End - #55

Here's another batch!

Spoiler: Yggrazn'll
    Show

Yggrazn'll
    The Betrayer, the Abberant Dragon, the Mother of Tiamat, the Cerebotic Tyrant, the Scaled Corruption

Domains: Corruption, Dragon, Madness, Mind, Tyranny, Void
    Alignment: CE
    Worshipers/Servants: Aberrations, Brainstealer Dragons, Rogue Dragons and Dragonborn, Psionicists
    Symbol: A six-eyed dragon's head that ends in a mass of tentacles instead of a maw

Long ago, during the Second Epoc, there was a great dragonborn champion named Yggrazn'll. She lead her dragonborn in the service of the dragons as they waged war upon the Great Old Ones and their spawn. Woe was to those who dared to oppose her, for with an unbridled fury she slaughtered even the greatest of the Old Ones' champions.

However, Yggrazn'll would never be fully satisfied. For while she was a champion, no, a legend, she was a legend among the dragonborn only. Always would their draconic masters outdo whatever feats she accomplished, and always would they have the true glory. For despite all the cheers and praises she got from her fellow warriors, never would she be held in the same regard as the true dragons.

It was this envy of the dragons that made her vulnerable to the corruption of Hastur, the King in Yellow, who, despite having recently been banished by Apsu, still managed to work his influence on the world from his prison, albeit much less so than before. After accidentally viewing his Yellow Sign during a raid on the remnants of his cult, Yggrazn'll slowly began to fall to Hastur's influence, the great old one twisting her thoughts and planting the seeds of madness within her.

Slowly but surely the evidence of corruption began to show within her, and the other dragonborn took it upon themselves to end their champion before the aberrant taint consumed her.

But they were too late.

Yggrazn'll had long since been driven to full insanity by the work of Hastur, having learned to hide much of the symptoms from her comrades. She had since not only been amassing a group of loyal followers from those dragonborn less faithful to their dragon masters, but secretly causing countless more dragonborn to bare witness to Hastur's Yellow Sign, allowing him to influence their minds as well.

By the time they acted, Yggrazn'll had gathered an army's worth of dragonborn loyal to her rather than the dragons, each maddened by the Yellow Sign, and countless other dragonborn had since been rendered insane by that same sign due to her workings.

And as a reward for her work, Hastur reached out with what power he could muster and granted the mad dragonborn her wish, mutating her into a twisted abomination in draconian form. With her newfound power, she and her followers set upon the other dragonborn and the dragons, and, with the help of both the aberrations, who eventually came to their aid, and other dragons who turned to her side, devastated the dragon's numbers.

It did not take long for Apsu himself to make an appearance, determined to vanquish Yggrazn'll and her maddened, corrupted followers. The two clashed, but despite Hastur's granted power Yggrazn'll was still no match for the Elder God. Yet as the dragon god prepared to end her, she let out a roar of defiance as she lashed out with all her might, dealing a hefty blow to Apsu in her final moments. It was this blow that would split Apsu into Tiamat and begin a civil war among dragonkind.

Yggrazn'll is said to have died in the battle with Apsu, still utterly eradicated by the elder god despite the blow she dealt to him. However, her influence remains. Still does her cult survive, hiding themselves from the watchful eyes of the dragon lords as they practice their forbidden worship, and some aberration that lurk deep within the shadows of the Underdark have devoted themselves to the Scaled Corruption.

Unnervingly, despite her death, those that revere Yggrazn'll are capable of channeling her eldritch power, and some even have claimed to receive visions and messages from her. One such vision is said to have led the illithids to create the first Brainstealer Dragons. How this is possible is yet unknown, though many believe Hastur might have something to do with it.

But those remaining faithful know the true answer.

For deep in the darkness beneath the earth, dead Yggrazn'll's heart lies ever beating...

Spoiler: Cahrnell
    Show

Cahrnell
    Mammon's Consort, Madame Midnight, the Depraved One, the Countess of Carnal Delights, the Sovereign of Sin, the Hierophant of Hedonism, the Duchess of Decadence

Domains: Corruption, Diabolic, Greed, Law, Love, Pleasure
    Worshipers/Servants: Criminal Organizations, Devils, Gamblers, Hydras, Jahi, ProstitutesSnakes, Succubi
    Symbol: A pair of dice with hearts for pips that rolled "snake eyes". A fiendish snake with a human face emerges from the single pip on the top of each die, their serpentine bodies entwined as they kiss.

With life on Pyria as dangerous and exhaustive as it is, the sin industry is booming as people love to spend their time drinking, gambling, and enjoying more carnal pleasures, so as to distract themselves from their troubles and have a genuinely good time. And Cahrnell is one of the sin industry's greatest patrons.

The archdevil Cahrnell is the patron of, as stated, the sin industry. From drug producers and alcohol brewers, to casinos and brothels, Cahrnell typically holds influence over them all, with the rare exception. Her network spans the world, and few know just how deep her connections go.

Cahrnell deals with those who have gotten deep into the sin industry and have issues because of it. Did you bet too much money in a casino and are now in heavy debt? She'll ensure your payments are covered. Have you grown addicted to a drug but can't manage to get more? She'll hook you up. Are you secretly a prostitute and don't want anyone to know about it? She'll do everything in her power to ensure not even a hint of it gets out. All you have to do is sign on the dotted line.

Cahrnell is the current, and longest lasting, consort of the archdevil Mammon, the Lord of Greed. She is said to have formerly been a succubus, erinyes or fallen angel that enamored Mammon with her staggering beauty, and after ages in his service as a consort slowly rose to become as powerful as he, yet still remains as his lover. While some rumors say that she remains with him only as part of a long and complicated plan to usurp him and take control of the third hell, many still believe that Cahrnell is actually quite enamored with Mammon herself, and is genuinely in love with him.

Cahrnell's greatest rival is the demon lady Nocticula, believing her actions to be shedding an overly negative light on the sin industry and hedonism in general. Cahrnell's servants thus frequently intervene in the affairs of the demons and undead that serve her, and Cahrnell is currently devising a plan to banish Nocticula from the world.

The Cult of Cahrnell is composed primarily of various criminal organizations, gamblers, and prostitutes, all who've devoted their lives to pleasure, hedonism, and of course Cahrnell herself. The cult controls countless brothels and casinos, and distributes drugs and alcohol, legal and illegal, across the world. Succubi are frequent members or servants of the cult, and several of their brothels are filled solely with them.

The incorporeal, three headed, serpentine undead known as jahi are said to have been created by Cahrell out of unfulfilled hedonistic desires.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Devcon1 View Post
    Here's another batch!

Spoiler: Yggrazn'll
    Show

Yggrazn'll
    The Betrayer, the Abberant Dragon, the Mother of Tiamat, the Cerebotic Tyrant, the Scaled Corruption

Domains: Corruption, Dragon, Madness, Mind, Tyranny, Void
    Alignment: CE
    Worshipers/Servants: Aberrations, Brainstealer Dragons, Rogue Dragons and Dragonborn, Psionicists
    Symbol: A six-eyed dragon's head that ends in a mass of tentacles instead of a maw

Long ago, during the Second Epoc, there was a great dragonborn champion named Yggrazn'll. She lead her dragonborn in the service of the dragons as they waged war upon the Great Old Ones and their spawn. Woe was to those who dared to oppose her, for with an unbridled fury she slaughtered even the greatest of the Old Ones' champions.

However, Yggrazn'll would never be fully satisfied. For while she was a champion, no, a legend, she was a legend among the dragonborn only. Always would their draconic masters outdo whatever feats she accomplished, and always would they have the true glory. For despite all the cheers and praises she got from her fellow warriors, never would she be held in the same regard as the true dragons.

It was this envy of the dragons that made her vulnerable to the corruption of Hastur, the King in Yellow, who, despite having recently been banished by Apsu, still managed to work his influence on the world from his prison, albeit much less so than before. After accidentally viewing his Yellow Sign during a raid on the remnants of his cult, Yggrazn'll slowly began to fall to Hastur's influence, the great old one twisting her thoughts and planting the seeds of madness within her.

Slowly but surely the evidence of corruption began to show within her, and the other dragonborn took it upon themselves to end their champion before the aberrant taint consumed her.

But they were too late.

Yggrazn'll had long since been driven to full insanity by the work of Hastur, having learned to hide much of the symptoms from her comrades. She had since not only been amassing a group of loyal followers from those dragonborn less faithful to their dragon masters, but secretly causing countless more dragonborn to bare witness to Hastur's Yellow Sign, allowing him to influence their minds as well.

By the time they acted, Yggrazn'll had gathered an army's worth of dragonborn loyal to her rather than the dragons, each maddened by the Yellow Sign, and countless other dragonborn had since been rendered insane by that same sign due to her workings.

And as a reward for her work, Hastur reached out with what power he could muster and granted the mad dragonborn her wish, mutating her into a twisted abomination in draconian form. With her newfound power, she and her followers set upon the other dragonborn and the dragons, and, with the help of both the aberrations, who eventually came to their aid, and other dragons who turned to her side, devastated the dragon's numbers.

It did not take long for Apsu himself to make an appearance, determined to vanquish Yggrazn'll and her maddened, corrupted followers. The two clashed, but despite Hastur's granted power Yggrazn'll was still no match for the Elder God. Yet as the dragon god prepared to end her, she let out a roar of defiance as she lashed out with all her might, dealing a hefty blow to Apsu in her final moments. It was this blow that would split Apsu into Tiamat and begin a civil war among dragonkind.

Yggrazn'll is said to have died in the battle with Apsu, still utterly eradicated by the elder god despite the blow she dealt to him. However, her influence remains. Still does her cult survive, hiding themselves from the watchful eyes of the dragon lords as they practice their forbidden worship, and some aberration that lurk deep within the shadows of the Underdark have devoted themselves to the Scaled Corruption.

Unnervingly, despite her death, those that revere Yggrazn'll are capable of channeling her eldritch power, and some even have claimed to receive visions and messages from her. One such vision is said to have led the illithids to create the first Brainstealer Dragons. How this is possible is yet unknown, though many believe Hastur might have something to do with it.

But those remaining faithful know the true answer.

For deep in the darkness beneath the earth, dead Yggrazn'll's heart lies ever beating...

Spoiler: Cahrnell
    Show

Cahrnell
    Mammon's Consort, Madame Midnight, the Depraved One, the Countess of Carnal Delights, the Sovereign of Sin, the Hierophant of Hedonism, the Duchess of Decadence

Domains: Corruption, Diabolic, Greed, Law, Love, Pleasure
    Worshipers/Servants: Criminal Organizations, Devils, Gamblers, Hydras, Jahi, Prostitutes, Snakes
    Symbol: A pair of dice with hearts for pips that rolled "snake eyes". A fiendish snake with a human face emerges from the single pip on the top of each die, their serpentine bodies entwined as they kiss.

With life on Pyria as dangerous and exhaustive as it is, the sin industry is booming as people love to spend their time drinking, gambling, and enjoying more carnal pleasures, so as to distract themselves from their troubles and have a genuinely good time. And Cahrnell is one of the sin industry's greatest patrons.

The archdevil Cahrnell is the patron of, as stated, the sin industry. From drug producers and alcohol brewers, to casinos and brothels, Cahrnell typically holds influence over them all, with the rare exception. Her network spans the world, and few know just how deep her connections go.

Cahrnell deals with those who have gotten deep into the sin industry and have issues because of it. Did you bet too much money in a casino and are now in heavy debt? She'll ensure your payments are covered. Have you grown addicted to a drug but can't manage to get more? She'll hook you up. Are you secretly a prostitute and don't want anyone to know about it? She'll do everything in her power to ensure not even a hint of it gets out. All you have to do is sign on the dotted line.

Cahrnell is the current, and longest lasting, consort of the archdevil Mammon, the Lord of Greed. She is said to have formerly been a succubus, erinyes or fallen angel that enamored Mammon with her staggering beauty, and after ages in his service as a consort slowly rose to become as powerful as he, yet still remains as his lover. While some rumors say that she remains with him only as part of a long and complicated plan to usurp him and take control of the third hell, many still believe that Cahrnell is actually quite enamored with Mammon herself, and is genuinely in love with him.

Cahrnell's greatest rival is the demon lady Nocticula, believing her actions to be shedding an overly negative light on the sin industry and hedonism in general. Cahrnell's servants thus frequently intervene in the affairs of the demons and undead that serve her, and Cahrnell is currently devising a plan to banish Nocticula from the world.

The Cult of Cahrnell is composed primarily of various criminal organizations, gamblers, and prostitutes, all who've devoted their lives to pleasure, hedonism, and of course Cahrnell herself. The cult controls countless brothels and casinos, and distributes drugs and alcohol, legal and illegal, across the world. Succubi are frequent members or servants of the cult, and several of their brothels are filled solely with them.

The incorporeal, three headed, serpentine undead known as jahi are said to have been created by Cahrell out of unfulfilled hedonistic desires.
    Well these two were both surprises. Yggrazn'll answers a few questions I'd been stalling on concerning Apsu. Carhnell (corny play on the word but thats why it works XD) having a rivalry with Nocticula provides a good source of friction between bad guys and bad guys.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Spoiler: Original Essi
    Show

Essi, The Keeper Of The Book, The Star-eyed Goddess, The Wise Crone

Domains: Knowledge, Logic and reasoning, Books, schools, and libraries, Magic (learned such as wizardfy), and Alchemy

Appearance: Wearing colorless flowing gowns and wrapped in dragging chains, Essi is always depicted as an old woman carrying a huge tome which is chained to her belt. Sometimes she holds the book like a baby, but in other depictions the book is a massive weight crushing her slight, aged form. When she gazes upon a mortal they invariably report that her eyes are pools of night studded with countless star's.

The Wise Crone hoards knowledge and her greatest joy is in learning something new. While willing to share her knowledge, she requires those who want it to invest the time and effort required to learn it themselves. She gives nothing away, but rewards those who do the work to earn it.

Wizards often use a chain motif when decorating spell books, each spell being a link in their metaphysical chain of knowledge.

Clerics of The Star-eyed Goddess can freely multiclass as wizards, and may add their cleric levels to their wizard levels for effective caster level when casting any prepared spell, (specifically excluding spontaneous casting or innate powers such as sorcerer spells or fey abilities), though this does not alter spells per day. A cleric's skill points invested in Spellcraft must always equal or exceed the cleric's level. A cleric may not advance to a higher level in cleric unless in so doing he assigns enough skill points, excluding bonuses from any source, to meet this requirement.

A cleric of The Book must wear a chain around his waist attached to a book into which they record every day's activities. This book may be a spellbook as well if the cleric desires, or the cleric may choose to keep his known spells in some other book or form.

Essi is said to love logic puzzles, riddles, puzzle boxes and rings, and games of reasoning and knowledge. Thus her clergy are among the very best at solving mysteries. Police organizations are known to employ clerics of Essi to evaluate crime scenes to capture those responsible, and along with mundane problem solving, Essi's priests have access to a feat which allows Forensic Spellcraft techniques to deduce what kinds of magic and which specit is spells have been cast in an area.

Forensic Spellcraft allows very accurate deductions of the Magic used in an area for a number of turns equal to the cleric's level, somewhat less specific information for up to a number of hours equal to hir cleric levels, and vague information up to that number of days. This utilizes a Spellcraft check, the success of which determines the specificity and volume of information the DM provides. A character with this feat may also identify magical signatures of spellcasters, being able to later identify spells cast by that caster, and identify the caster if s/he casts a spell while the cleric can observe hit.

The Star Eyed Goddess can gaze into the eyes of any mortal and know all that s/he knows. This might result in all memories being removed. Such victims almost always thereafter show an affinity for wizardry, but they do require time to relearn everything from walking to potty training. Clerics of Essi always treat these victims, and all amnesiacs, as holy people.

Clerics of Essi perform divination by writing questions in their books. The answers, within the limits of the Magic used, will be written in the book using the cleric's own pen and ink which is consumed by the magic.

Offerings to Essi are predominantly books, library buildings, schools, and new inventions. Those who have offended Essi may appease her by teaching children to read, and clerics of The Book often receive vials of ink, quills, parchment paper, and other supplies required in the bookbinding and scribing crafts as gifts and offerings.

My intepretation of Essi

Spoiler: Archerius
    Show

Archerius
    The Politician, the Horned Librarian, the Keymaster, the Teacher.

Home: The Material Plane
    Worshipers: Satyrs, Politicians, Wizards
    Cleric alignments: Lawful Good, Neutral Good, Chaotic Good
    Areas of concern: Politics, Places of education, Magic (All arcane and some divine portals), manipulation, spying
    Domains: Knowledge, Magic, Travel, Trickery, Law
    Subdomains: Education, Thought, Arcane, Portal, Espionage, Innuendo, Legislation
    Favored weapon: None
    Symbol: Large open book in front of a closed green door, illustrations of a skeleton key on the left and a brass oil lamp on the right.
    Sacred animal: None
    Sacred colors: Bronze and dull green

Wearing flowing green robes, Archerius is always depicted as a peppery haired, hunched elderly satyr man wearing bronze spectacles over strained black eyes. He carries an ornately carved staff wrapped in glowing, colorfully linked chains in one arm, bundles of scrolls and tomes under the other. Bound with additional chains are several tomes that whisper to those that listen. He wears bronze shackles on his wrists and ankles. He speaks in a soft, blustering voice and often wanders in thought when speaking, seeming easily distracted. However, he is quick witted, sharply tongued and always has a quip for younger, unrefined minds. Whenever the Teacher leaves a location scrolls may be found with a wide variety of interesting knowledge scribbled on their surface.

Archerius is the brother of the Satyr goddess P'hann and most active among the Satyr race. He has guided and molded the Satyrs and various followers that worship to places of enlightenment and learning. He takes great interest politics and forms of non violence to settle disagreements. TheLiobrarian hoards knowledge and his greatest joy is in learning something new. While willing to share his knowledge, he requires those who want it to invest the time and effort required to learn it. He gives nothing away, but rewards those who do the work to earn it.

Archerius is known as the Keymaster due to his nearly monopolistic control of arcane portal magic, and with him the satyrs and select clerics as a whole. Over time the satyrs have used this power to great advantage among the other civilized races of Pyria. By using it to pop in and out of locations they fill the role of messengers and couriers at low levels of many governments. While higher level Satyrs move from nation to nation acting as mediators, politicians and information brokers. Archerius entourages this at all levels of other governments to manipulate and bend political matters every so subtly in the favor of the Satyrs. The most sought after service however, is portal magic. This has become a costly form of magic but the Satyrs are well practiced and have a well established record of trust among their customers. Archerius himself carries a legendary artifact called The Silver Key of Portals that allows him to open nearly door in existence, as well as manipulate regular doorways into magical portals, and vice versa.

Archerius is said to love logic puzzles, riddles, puzzle boxes and rings, and games of reasoning and knowledge. Thus his clergy are among the very best at solving mysteries. Law enforcement organizations such as ranging from the local town guard to the Hell knights are known to employ clerics of Archerius to evaluate crime scenes for vital clues. Many of his clerics are known to join the ranks of detectives both employed and independent. When confronted with an enemy Archerius encourages his followers to avoid combat beguile their way out with clever words. Self defense is not frowned upon of course, but most clerics are knownto employ body guards or runic guardians for protection.

Clerics of Archerius perform divination by writing questions in scrolls or books. The answers, within the limits of the Magic used, will be written in the book using the cleric's own pen and ink which is then consumed by magic.

Offerings to Archerius are predominantly books, educational buildings, and symbols of elevated status. Those who have offended Archerius may appease him by teaching children to read. Clerics of The Horned Librarian often receive vials of ink, quills, parchment paper, and other supplies required in the bookbinding and inscribing crafts as gifts and offerings.
    Last edited by Hazeeb; 2018-01-14 at 08:39 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

I can't really write or plan all that well, but I'll just throw out a concept:
    True neutral god of creation, decay, and void?

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Its a little tame and some of the combinations up top already cover that idea.

Keep trying though! This is an exercise in fluff writing.

30. - Top - End - #60

This is the very first Book Of Vile Darkness ever created. It was created Aeons ago, some say by Asmodeus himself, or even some kind of Yugoloth. The Book is Neutral Evil, the Domains are Evil, Darkness, Magic, Knowledge, Planning, and Death. It's Portfolio is Evil (Of any kind). It has a history of surviving destruction by superior beings. In previous iterations, the supreme god or gods of entire pantheons have come together to destroy it once and for all, only for it to appear centuries later. The Book is alive, extremely intelligent, and some believe it is the origin of all evil.

The Book Of Supreme Darkness is not just a "Deity", it's also a Patron of many evil warlocks. Most of the time, a Warlock has to come into contact with either Book Of Supreme Darkness it'self, or the Book Of Vile Darkness. The Book Of Supreme Darkness will then contact the Warlock and ask if the Warlock needs a Patron. An evil or particularly evil magic user will invariably say yes, and thus gain much power. Some claim that you can achieve god hood as an evil deity with The Book Of Supreme Darkness'es aid, and indeed, there might be some evidence that this is the case.