Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: So I'm all ready to DM, except just one thing... I DON'T HAVE THE TIME

Quote Originally Posted by tensai_oni View Post
    Brilliant advice. Do you tell people with depression to just get a grip and stop being sad, too?
    Well, if you want... Any good psychiatrist will try to showcase that you're locked into certain though-pattens that keep you down as a person but don't really match the reality around you. (Caveat Emptor: When you're truly down and out, that's that, but there's a difference to feeling down and out).

DM´íng, when done right, isn't that much of a hard and elaborate affair that one could "fear".

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: So I'm all ready to DM, except just one thing... I DON'T HAVE THE TIME

My campaign, when I get to run it, is in one-hour sessions, usually on the spur of the moment. I barely plan at all, though I have a campaign world of sorts. The game itself has precisely one mechanic: "The GM tells you what to roll."

It surprises me, on the occasions I get kids to try it, that a high amount of excitement can be created in so little time.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Yeah, it sucks when you don't have time. Just keep your eye out in your schedule. If you have time to refine your campaigns do so, and wait. No matter what is taking all your time it will pass. I see talk of children. They age so after a few (about 10) years you don't have an roadblock to gaming, you have captive players. If it's school taking up all your time, that will pass. If it's work, find a way to manage your left over time. If that isn't possible perhaps the heavy work will pass.

"I laugh at life, it's antics make for me a giddy game. Where only foolish fellows take themselves with solemn aim.”

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Maybe you can run it from your phone? Its a possibility maybe. I sometimes run my D&D 4e campaign from my phone without prep over roll20.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    Yeah, it sucks when you don't have time. Just keep your eye out in your schedule. If you have time to refine your campaigns do so, and wait. No matter what is taking all your time it will pass. I see talk of children. They age so after a few (about 10) years you don't have an roadblock to gaming, you have captive players. If it's school taking up all your time, that will pass. If it's work, find a way to manage your left over time. If that isn't possible perhaps the heavy work will pass.
    Just wanted to chime in on that after my son turned ten years old besides being "gaming age" he also didn't need as much caretaking so some time got freed up, and I got some games in (time later taken when our second son was born).

Just think of how much gaming one can do at a nursing home!
    Grim specter of noogie hangs like shroud over us all

Extended Sig

PBP's

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Just wanted to chime in on that after my son turned ten years old besides being "gaming age" he also didn't need as much caretaking so some time got freed up, and I got some games in (time later taken when our second son was born).

Just think of how much gaming one can do at a nursing home!
    Don't forget that you can just introduce your son and his friends to the hobby. But I agree I did much less gaming, maybe once a month, when my children were newly born and toddlers.

I'm pretty sure I'll be running a game at my nursing home I'll probably have a hard time berating my players for forgetting all my NPC's names....Heck I'll probably be lucky if I can juggle all the balls of Game mastering
    Last edited by RazorChain; 2018-01-13 at 01:28 AM.
    Optimizing vs Roleplay
    If the worlds greatest optimizer makes a character and hands it to the worlds greatest roleplayer who roleplays the character. What will happen? Will the Universe implode?

Roleplaying vs Fun
    If roleplaying is no fun then stop doing it. Unless of course you are roleplaying at gunpoint then you should roleplay like your life depended on it.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

DND is like a wife and kids and pizza . It eats money and time . If you made a choice to have kids and a wifey .............well live with it . But worry not , thats considered being more of a success than no children or wife but plenty of DND fun . If your beloved does not love you enough to give you one night per week all to yourself ........ well you can just do what my poor father did , go to an early grave . Plenty of rest in the grave . Perhaps its just YOU . Do you love yourself enough to take time for yourself . Its your time after all .

Soo i am a loser and you are all winners . Yay for you .

Last edited by Pugwampy; 2018-01-13 at 05:43 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I feel ya OP.

I work 1 ( 2) full time jobs, have a long commute to the semi-other job. That leaves me a monday, tuesday, and thursday(day) free a month.

the issue is not that I do not have time to play as much as the stars have to be aligned and all these other dominoes have to fall into place to play any RPG or even chat with friends for more than a couple of minutes due to THEM also having lives. It has been a year since I have been able to talk to one friend of mine due to his schedule at his work, truth be told i have no idea if he is even still alive.

I know someone was saying how you should do something for all 24 hours of the day, but dang. people need rest, time to eat, and you need time to just de-clutter your brain and let it process all the crap that went on.

I have found that it is not so much the singular person who cannot find time in the literal sense. Its that said singular is unable to find a time that matches up with everybody else in that particular circle of togetherness.

also, being a parent is Hard, raising a person who is dependent on you fully and all that comes with that is not a joke, and even though I do not have children, i know what struggles my mother went through and what some of my friends are currently going through to dismiss parenting as off-handidly as shoving the kids to a sleep over, babysitter, and that raising a child to be a fully functional and contributing individual to society is only hard because one makes it so.. is just downright insulting nad ignorant as all gets out. At least in my opinion.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Crucial fact one: You are in fact using every moment of every day, just like everybody else. If you want to add an activity, you will have to subtract something else – just like everybody else. But what?

Crucial fact two: There are only three good reasons to do something:
    because you have to do it (eat, sleep, get money, take exams),
    because you ought to do it (keep the house clean, help neighbors, study), and
    because you want to do it.

If you think your life is completely filled by things that you have to do, then you are wrong. They don’t fill up a life. [Besides, I know you have time to talk on the internet.] But look over the things you think you have to do, and ask what happens if you don’t.

If things you ought to do are filling up your life, well, that’s possible, but it usually doesn’t last. In a year or two you may have some free time. Save your ideas.

If things you want to do are filling up your spare time, then ask yourself how much you enjoy them, and if you would enjoy D&D more than this TV show, this movie, this book, this bike ride, whatever. If they are all more fun than D&D, then congratulations -- you’re doing it right. Keep enjoying yourself more than you would playing the game.

But if you are doing some things that are less fun than D&D, then you know what to change to make room for D&D.