New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

Default Critical Role Question [NO SPOILERS PLEASE]

I only became interested in Critical Role this past summer, and am obviously still years behind. I知 just finishing the Briarwoods, and I知 thinking the new campaign will be interesting (as I prefer low level stuff to higher level stuff). But it might be fun to see how the first campaign ends before doing that. So I知 wondering about where I should pick up to get a good sense of the ending.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Critical Role Question [NO SPOILERS PLEASE]

Quote Originally Posted by goatmeal View Post
    I only became interested in Critical Role this past summer, and am obviously still years behind. I知 just finishing the Briarwoods, and I知 thinking the new campaign will be interesting (as I prefer low level stuff to higher level stuff). But it might be fun to see how the first campaign ends before doing that. So I知 wondering about where I should pick up to get a good sense of the ending.
    I've tried getting into this but among the table-top RPG shows I've seen on VRV this one is the only one that is basically just D&D gaming on TWITCH for two and a half hours with extremely light or no editing. I'm wondering if they'll pick up the pace and when things get more involved.

Now that I've seen HarmonQuest I want more of that sort of fare, but I can't find anything that comes close to that sort of richly rewarding half-hour show pacing, let alone any of that shows bells and whistles.

However, I'm pretty sure only Dan Harmon, who piloted the show at NBC(!), has the resources to do this sort of show with a real professional crew and celebrity guests (Wil Wheaton tries). The live audience is a nice touch that probably helps kick things up a notch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

OP: I can't honestly tell you where to jump in and out of the story of Critical Role, it's all great for it's own reasons. If you can handle it, I recommend watching it on 1.5x or 2x speed, just for the time constraints. Because you're about halfway through the show, and so much more happens.

If you get desperate and just want to see the ending, start with 110 and go in to the last episodes willing to be surprised by what you've missed.
    Games GMed
    The Vanstermen: OOC - IC

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Or you might want to pick up with One Year Later (in the late 90s....). It's where the last arc starts (and of course the title of the last arc is a pretty big spoiler). You might be surprised at that point by one of the players having a new character but it's still fairly straightforward. Although I wouldn't really recommend it, the arc between where you are and then (yeah it's kind of super long) is IMO the best in the campaign, it's got the best villains, sidequests, NPCs, Marishay Ray derps (although the best is undoubtedly in 97) and fights. The last arc is also fun but it's a bit less original.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

5. - Top - End - #5

Flumph

Thanks, think I'll start with One Year Later. Knowing there is exactly 1 different character is a bit of a spoiler (though I had already read about that elsewhere while reading up on the actor). I did watch one live episode on twitch sometime this summer, so there's a lot that has already been spoiled for me.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Yeah I guess it is sorry....
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

7. - Top - End - #7

Flumph

No worries, I think there is one more episode before I skip ahead and I doubt anything will change there dramatically. I knew about the one and was pretty sure about all the rest from what I'd seen.