New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Doctor Who

1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    So, thoughts on the new Doctor, is it worth maybe picking up the new series, people who have seen the Christmas special?
    A female Doctor? I'm fine with it. He's supposed to be alien and not fit our norms.
    This actress as the female Doctor? Good with that as well, she did a fine job portraying joy and wonder and recklessness all in the fraction of a moment she had.
    A female Doctor written by this BBC? I'm concerned. Any crew that can misuse Capaldi so badly... I really don't trust them to make such a "radical" change and do it well.

I don't know if they'll do a good Doctor, for one. Capaldi should have been incredible, often was incredible in spite of the sea of lame and annoying episodes that wasted him. More than that, however, I am worried that this isn't going to be a case of "the Doctor isn't human and isn't defined by your genders" and more an excuse for relentless misandry. Granted, that's an ironic twist on the old days where the producers actually said the female characters were there to "scream and be rescued", but pig-headed behavior doesn't excuse pig-headed behavior.

I'm probably going to tick a few people off by saying this, but, seeing how the BBC has been going, it's a concern I can't shake. I want her to be a character, not a statement.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    I'm concerned. Any crew that can misuse Capaldi so badly... I really don't trust them to make such a "radical" change and do it well.
    It's not the same showrunner or crew, though. Sure, the BBC is stumping up the money, but they're not writing the episodes!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mokèlé-mbèmbé View Post
    When did you first get into it?

In the 1970's.

My first "Doctor" was the third played by Jon Pertwee, I remember that I often had to stand be the television and hold the antenna "just so" to get reception, often I had to choose whether to hear the episode clearly (like radio), or see it clearly (like a silent movie), because the broadcast signal wasn't strong enough, and while the episodes were in color, I watched most of them on a black and white television.

Which is your favourite incarnation of The Doctor?

The second played by Patrick Troughton, but that's because he was very nice when I went to a Dr. Who convention I went to.

My favorite episodes are Tom Baker ones, as those are the episodes I've mostly seen.

Who is your favourite companion?

Sarah Jane Smith, because she was the first of the "companions" I've known, and the one that I've watched the most.

I would've liked to have seen more Leela though, she was badass!

What is your favourite story?

Genesis of the Daleks

How would you improve the show as it currently stands?

Broadcast so I may see it again!

I caught a little bit of the post seventh Doctor episodes on PBS stations some years ago (same stations that broadcast the third to seventh Doctors), but they don't seem to have broadcast many for long, and I just don't see them anymore which saddens me.

Do you own any Doctor Who merchandise? If so, which one do you cherish the most?

I had some in the 1980's, and Troughton's autograph as well, but I've long since lost track of them.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

A female Doctor will adequately convince me to watch the show for a couple of episodes before I realise it's the same rubbish show it's always been for the past 13 years.

I congratulate Jodie Whittaker, but I'm less interested in gender representation in media as I am about media being less awful on the whole. I would hate for the glass ceiling to be cracked via episodes the calibre of The Lie of the Land, for example.