New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

Default Pounce Questions

So the Lion's Pounce spell in the Spell Compendium recently came to the attention of our party Cavalier, who happens to be wielding a Lance of the Unending Charge, and that discovery prompted a pretty big argument between the party, who are pretty evenly divided.
    So the spell grants pounce for a single round, meaning that he gets his iterative attacks on a Charge attack. As a member of the Cavalier prestige class, he can use Deadly Charge to quadruple the amount of damage he deals on a charge. If he Deadly Charges while Lion's Pounce is active, does he quadruple the amount of damage his iteratives deal, or just the first? Does he get the +2 to attacks from charging on all his iteratives, or just the first? And should he kill his first target, and the Lance of the Unending Charge lets him continue his charge into the next opponent in a straight line, does he deal quadruple damage to that next guy? Does he get the +2?
    ~Othar wanted me to know so that I would tell men that Othar the Storm-Rider had died well, and I had told him to keep a tight hold of his sword so that Othar the Storm-Rider would go to the feast hall in Valhalla where all warriors who die bravely go after death. These days, although I am old and feeble, I always wear a sword, so that when death comes I will go to that far hall where men like Othar wait for me. I look forward to meeting them.~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Default Re: Pounce Questions

Each attack is treated as a charge, so benefits that apply on a charge should all apply to the iteratives. One the main reasons Spirit Lion Barb makes a useful martial dip.
    All advice given with the caveat that you know your group better than I do. If that wasn't true, you'd be getting advice face-to-face. So I generalize.

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    are you asking us to do research into a setting you wrote yourself?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Pounce Questions

RAW, unless it says it only works on one attack, it works on all the attacks.

However, any DM should be able to tell that most of those bonuses and multipliers were designed for single attacks, and rule on pounce combinations accordingly. If the DM refuses to be a DM and make rulings, then don't be surprised if pounce combos immediately dominate the melee part of your game.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness