Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Mid Level Aquatic Game (3.5 or 3.P)

Yeah, I'm not super down for discord. Relatively fast pace is fine (games seem to last longer with a decent pace anyway). I hate to sound like I'm trying to chase off a prospective DM ('cause I'm not, thank you for taking the time to check this thread and make the offer), but it sounds like with the specifically piratical focus and the discord use the game you've got in mind might not be what I'm looking for.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Khaibit View Post
    Yeah, I'm not super down for discord. Relatively fast pace is fine (games seem to last longer with a decent pace anyway). I hate to sound like I'm trying to chase off a prospective DM ('cause I'm not, thank you for taking the time to check this thread and make the offer), but it sounds like with the specifically piratical focus and the discord use the game you've got in mind might not be what I'm looking for.
    Can you give an example quest for this campaign? Just so we know what exactly was your idea.
    Omnissiah grant me the strength to change what I can,
    the patience to accept what I cannot,
    and PLASMA CANNONS FOR HANDS. Amen.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler: Big 16
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    3.5. I dont know much of PF, but if you are patient and explain what you want from it I may allow small parts of it. But if possible avoid to asking for too much things (I'm busy for the next two weeks, so I wont be able to take into too much requests).

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    Standart Medieval fantasy with aquatic and pirate theme. Maps will be burrowed from internet.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    4-6.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    Here or myth-weavers (I prefer myth-weavers more honestly, but here is good), and a discord channel that will allow for some faster communication between us.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    10th level

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    Standard wealth by level

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    Try to stick to sea theme or have a excuse to be a pirate.

Professions will make a major so I'll be giving each one Profession or Craft skill as a bonus maxed skill. Good examples being Sailor, Shiprwrighter, Cooking, Navigation.
    Orders and faith will probably end being mostly nature, luck, rogue or something like that, but you're free to choose.
    As for classes... Play with what you like.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    Nothing really. Aquactic races are welcome here, but not all crew need to be aquatic. Avoid anything uber monstrous.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    20 point buy, Max first leve,l then max minus 2 every level (d6 would be 4, d8 would be 6, d10 would be 8, and d12 would be 10)

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    Alignment will be used for spells and for roleplay. Acting too out of alignment will be punished with less XP. You might be evil, but avoid pvp (but challenging and sparing not to death is accepted).

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    It's okay. Avoid too much dips and you'll be fine.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    Rolls will be made here in the gitp forums. Mine will be secret and I'll make some rolls for secret things.
    Rolls can be made IC or OOC, but those IC must be spoilered.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

A few:
    • Each player will pick a Profession or Craft skill and will have that skil maxed (why? the game will use some skill puzzles and challenges and otherwise Craft and Profession rarely get the possibility to see game);
    • Swim is class skill to all classes and prestige classes (why? because it is a aquatic campaign);
    • A character can go beyond -10 without dying, as long as it's brought to -9 or better before the next turn (why? i think not giving a chance to someone to survive creates frustation);
    • Character that can breath underwater can speak (and cast) underwater (why? to make things underwater more inteeresting);
    • Long teleportation magic is banned: some portal and circles of teleportations might exists, but anything that teleport further than a Dimension Door is out (why? the game will involve travelling the seas and teleport will take the fun of it);
    • Gunpowder will be part of the game, being used for muskets (with bayonets and all), pistols, explosives and cannon. They wont work underwater, obviously. I'll make a list of gunpowder items and they are considered martial weapons (classes that get acess to hand crossbow will gain proficiency with pistols) (why? to get the piracy theme as well)
    • Creative solutions for encounters or challenges might reward some XP (why? I like creative solutions)

More will come tomorrow.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    Background is needed (you're 10th level). No need to go all over it, but without background, no game.
    The background need to include at least 2 allies/contacts (other than players) and 1 enemy (you can give a general idea of what it can do, but I'll design each).
    It also need to included how you became a pirate.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    Yes to all three. Want to add puzzles as well as hack'n'slash and roleplaying into the game. Puzzles might comeas conundrums and skill challenges. There might be some dungeon crawling as well.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    3.5 books, but I'll reserve to right to ban things as they come.

This is a scratch of the 16, but will work more on tomorrow (4am here and i have a routine of study early).

Nevermind then.
    Last edited by Chimaera; 2018-01-13 at 12:53 AM.
    Hannibal "Rusty" Rust, the olidamaran inqusitor.

"I'm not here to ask questions: that is the Hammer's job. I'm here just to let him know when to stop asking", Rusty.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xenopax View Post
    Can you give an example quest for this campaign? Just so we know what exactly was your idea.
    Sure, exploring sunken ruins/undersea vistas. Dealing with incursions by surface folk/hostile aquatic forces (sahuagin, greedy aquatic dragons, sea elf necromancers with zombie shark minions, whatever). Not so much a naval game as a primarily submerged one.

Quote Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    3.5. I dont know much of PF, but if you are patient and explain what you want from it I may allow small parts of it. But if possible avoid to asking for too much things (I'm busy for the next two weeks, so I wont be able to take into too much requests).

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    Standart Medieval fantasy with aquatic and pirate theme. Maps will be burrowed from internet.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    4-6.

Here or myth-weavers (I prefer myth-weavers more honestly, but here is good), and a discord channel that will allow for some faster communication between us.

10th level

Standard wealth by level

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

Professions will make a major so I'll be giving each one Profession or Craft skill as a bonus maxed skill. Good examples being Sailor, Shiprwrighter, Cooking, Navigation.
    Orders and faith will probably end being mostly nature, luck, rogue or something like that, but you're free to choose.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    Nothing really. Aquactic races are welcome here, but not all crew need to be aquatic. Avoid anything uber monstrous.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    20 point buy, Max first leve,l then max minus 2 every level (d6 would be 4, d8 would be 6, d10 would be 8, and d12 would be 10)

Alignment will be used for spells and for roleplay. Acting too out of alignment will be punished with less XP. You might be evil, but avoid pvp (but challenging and sparing not to death is accepted).

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    Rolls will be made here in the gitp forums. Mine will be secret and I'll make some rolls for secret things.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

A few:
    • Each player will pick a Profession or Craft skill and will have that skil maxed (why? the game will use some skill puzzles and challenges and otherwise Craft and Profession rarely get the possibility to see game);
    • Swim is class skill to all classes and prestige classes (why? because it is a aquatic campaign);
    • A character can go beyond -10 without dying, as long as it's brought to -9 or better before the next turn (why? i think not giving a chance to someone to survive creates frustation);
    • Character that can breath underwater can speak (and cast) underwater (why? to make things underwater more inteeresting);
    • Long teleportation magic is banned: some portal and circles of teleportations might exists, but anything that teleport further than a Dimension Door is out (why? the game will involve travelling the seas and teleport will take the fun of it);
    • Gunpowder will be part of the game, being used for muskets (with bayonets and all), pistols, explosives and cannon. They wont work underwater, obviously. I'll make a list of gunpowder items and they are considered martial weapons (classes that get acess to hand crossbow will gain proficiency with pistols) (why? to get the piracy theme as well)
    • Creative solutions for encounters or challenges might reward some XP (why? I like creative solutions)

More will come tomorrow.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    Background is needed (you're 10th level). No need to go all over it, but without background, no game.
    The background need to include at least 2 allies/contacts (other than players) and 1 enemy (you can give a general idea of what it can do, but I'll design each).

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    Yes to all three. Want to add puzzles as well as hack'n'slash and roleplaying into the game. Puzzles might comeas conundrums and skill challenges. There might be some dungeon crawling as well.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

This is a scratch of the 16, but will work more on tomorrow (4am here and i have a routine of study early).

Nevermind then.
    Sorry, like I said, I really do appreciate you taking the time to read through the thread and make the offer. It seems like some of the folks that had posted interest would be down for this though. I imagine they'd still be interested if you set up a recruitment thread. Pirates be popular and all.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

Sure, exploring sunken ruins/undersea vistas. Dealing with incursions by surface folk/hostile aquatic forces (sahuagin, greedy aquatic dragons, sea elf necromancers with zombie shark minions, whatever). Not so much a naval game as a primarily submerged one.

Sorry, like I said, I really do appreciate you taking the time to read through the thread and make the offer. It seems like some of the folks that had posted interest would be down for this though. I imagine they'd still be interested if you set up a recruitment thread. Pirates be popular and all.
    I like this idea of doing the exploring ruins kind of thing and fighting monsters under the sea.

6. - Top - End - #36

Sounded good to me lmfao

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
    Show

4-6.

10th level

Standard wealth by level

A few:

More will come tomorrow.

Nevermind then.
    Ouch, I was already going to be all hyped for a pirate game! I waited for something like this for a while. Also, I don't get people dislike for discord: it is probably the most anonymous and less time consuming chat I know of, you don't even have to download something to use it.

Well, I have to admit that a "king of Atlantis" style campaign is more than appealing to me, if somewhat difficult to find a DM wanting to do it... let's hope somebody shows up!
    Does this poster have a sign?

8. - Top - End - #38

RedWizardGuy

Does no Naval mean no pirates? My character is sort of like davey Jones from Pirates of the Caribbean

9. - Top - End - #39
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sorry guys I will be opting out
    I color is green, no I blue. Ok, ok, I think color. not sure now to call it

Shameless self promotion in 3... 2... 1... my DA link. I got drawing, I got litterature. You have to see it

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

Does no Naval mean no pirates? My character is sort of like davey Jones from Pirates of the Caribbean
    I mean, I'm not trying to tell people that their concept can't be something, but I don't really want to be part of a pirate crew. If your dude is 'underwater pirate with face tentacles' or whatever then as long as we can find a way for the party to work together don't see how that wouldn't fit in.

11. - Top - End - #41

WhiteWizardGirl

I don't see why we can't split this off into two threads - one for those interested in Chimaera's pirate game, and one for those who'd prefer something else.
    DontEvenAsk, no apostrophe. I play D&D 3.X/PF. Life has a tendency to spring surprise problems on me, leading to temporary ghosting that I usually can't predict. If I vanish, I'm probably not dropping out if your game, just swamped.

My campaign setting. Please look, don't touch for now.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DontEvenAsk View Post
    I don't see why we can't split this off into two threads - one for those interested in Chimaera's pirate game, and one for those who'd prefer something else.
    Makes sense to me. Like I mentioned before, I'm sure if Chimaera started a recruitment thread folks would be interested.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGirl

either could work for me

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    either could work for me
    Iíd love to be part of Chimaeraís game, but if another DM shows up here I could play.
    Sigtars also by the awesome Linklele.

Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, I canít believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Polymorphed T-rexís jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'd be interested in a fast pirate game with discord. I'll keep an eye out for a recruitment thread.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmm, interest in this seems to have died down since I clarified the not-naval goal I was going for. Probably should have been clearer at the start, sorry.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Hmm, interest in this seems to have died down since I clarified the not-naval goal I was going for. Probably should have been clearer at the start, sorry.
    Personally, i'm more interested in a strange, eldritch underwater game involving millenia old plots and secret domed cities, but probably a minority

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Genth View Post
    Personally, i'm more interested in a strange, eldritch underwater game involving millenia old plots and secret domed cities, but probably a minority
    Same here, but I fear the distinct lack of proposing DMs is another problem...

19. - Top - End - #49

RedWizardGuy

That does sound fun.

One problem with under water campaigns is that very few races can breathe underwater. So to have a viable character either you have to limit yourself to water breathing races or have the DM give a free permanently bonded aquatic breathing item. If you lose it for more than a minute, your character is screwed.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

That does sound fun.

One problem with under water campaigns is that very few races can breathe underwater. So to have a viable character either you have to limit yourself to water breathing races or have the DM give a free permanently bonded aquatic breathing item. If you lose it for more than a minute, your character is screwed.
    There's quite a few. Gillmen, Merpeople, Undine with an alternare racial trait, Aquatic Elves, Triton, Locathah, Sahuagin, Grindylows, Cecailia, and others with high RP.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

As long as you stay in range of humanoids and monstrous humanoids, you can just add the LA+0 Aquatic Template and call it a day

22. - Top - End - #52

WhiteWizardGirl

I'm with this one.
    DontEvenAsk, no apostrophe. I play D&D 3.X/PF. Life has a tendency to spring surprise problems on me, leading to temporary ghosting that I usually can't predict. If I vanish, I'm probably not dropping out if your game, just swamped.

My campaign setting. Please look, don't touch for now.

23. - Top - End - #53

But sadly we're not getting either.