New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXIII: Only in Nerf Does Duty End

Warhammer 40,000 in the Playground

This OP is currently full of placeholder answers. Check back in a week.

I'm new to the hobby. Which army should I start?
    It really depends on what you want to play. And how your meta-game shapes up. Find out what everyone else is playing near you, and play anything not those armies for best results. Otherwise, if you're starting from scratch with no-one really to play with - or, you've got a friend who is also starting from scratch - buy a Start Collecting! box and your favourite Index.
    Or, if you're specifically into Primaris Marines or Death Guard, GW has conveniently set up a number of 'beginner boxes' to get you started.

What's Dark Imperium?
    Dark Imperium contains a rulebook and a bunch of dice.

Comments on Dark Imperium forces.

How much does it cost?
    Placeholder Answer.

Is WH40K expensive? Yes. I suppose it is. We all know it is. But, practically speaking, it's no more expensive than any other hobby.

Okay, I've got everything. What next?
    Play some games. Playing some actual games, is a far, far better learning experience than anything you could glean from the internet. Although we really would appreciate some stories and how you're finding your army. Find out what works for you, find out what doesn't (just because the internet likes something, doesn't mean you will too). You, more than anyone know who your opponents are and what they're putting on the table. You are in the best position to find out what you need to bring to the table.

However, if you're still stuck. Just ask.

How many points do I need? What size board do I need?
    The recommended minimum is 750.
    However, in other meta-games, find out what the local tournament standard is. Most people in your area should be playing at that points level. While you're at it, here's How to write an army list.

As for board size; a 4x4' table can accommodate up to 1000 Points with reasonable room left for movement. But, after that you should probably look at finding a 6x4' area. The floor is never a bad start.

Comments on Power Rating.

What's the difference between Power Rating and Points Cost?
    ...A lot.

I did what you said and I still lost. What gives?
    First, this game is all about dice. Dice are random (most of the time anyway), sometimes you just get bad rolls all game and there's nothing you can really do about it. It's best to accept it, otherwise you're not going to have a very fun time.

Sometimes your opponent can make a minor change in his list - like changing from Plasma Cannons to Lascannons. That can totally alter the flow of the game and what happens when they next play you.

Sometimes the terrain placement is just bad (or the terrain itself is bad) and right from Deployment you can find yourself getting shot at and there's nothing you can do about it. Really, this can only stress how important terrain can be to how the game gets played.

And, lastly, maybe you just 'did it wrong'? Maybe you used [X] to shoot [Y] when they should have been shooting [Z]. Maybe you Charged, when the better move could have been moving backwards and Rapid Firing instead? There are all sorts of ways you can be out-played. You didn't just lose because your opponents' Queens are overpowered.

Terrain? You said this hobby was only as expensive as any other.
    Yes and no. Most of your 'starting' terrain can be household items. Books. Soda-cans. Small boxes. Whatever.

If you look around the internet, you can also find a few tutorials on how to make some really decent-looking terrain. Made out of what you essentially would have otherwise thrown in the bin.

Only GW Terrain actually costs you any significant money. Making your own should only cost a few dollars tops - and your time and effort.

How much terrain do I need?
    Anywhere between 25-33% of the board should be covered by terrain. On a standard 6x4' table, you would want at least anywhere between 6-8' square of terrain. It seems like a lot. But if you divide that up to 7-12 pieces, it doesn't look like much. Or you could just put a 2x3' block in the centre of the board. Don't forget that not all Terrain is 'equal', and you will definitely want a few pieces of terrain that block Line of Sight.

I don't like using Unique Characters, and I think Allies are dumb.
    Your opponents probably don't. Unique Characters are pretty powerful and there's no real reason that you shouldn't be using them if your opponents are. That's not to say that all Unique Characters are good - they aren't - and certainly don't get the impression that just because it's a Unique Character that you need to use it - you don't. But some of them are still good and they do make certain armies a lot better.

However, Allies, on the other hand. Are often a required part of the game. Especially if you play Imperium, Chaos or Aeldari. Some armies just don't have the units required to fend off other units. Does this make the game unfair? Kind of. But, GW doesn't update their entire range at once (it's a big range), and so some units are always going to be better than others. But, allowing Allies is a big step to evening the playing field.

So which Allies should I pick?
    Depends on your army, and what units you already have. Ask in the thread.

I can't paint.
    Like any skill worth having, you get better if you practice. 90% of a good paint job is just brush control - how much paint you put on your brush and where you put it. The other 10% is just colour theory (yeah, it's a thing). The most important tool this author has is a $5 Colour Wheel.

But, on a more serious note, the only real reason that you need to paint is if you want to participate in tournaments. Well, that and painted models just look better - if you've practised, of course.

Unfortunately, painting is a practical skill, not knowledge. The only person who can get you better at painting is you. Wraith has put together how you can go about Painting your army without losing your mind.

Is there such a thing as a 'Bad' Codex?
    Not exactly. There are certainly bad, individual units. But, on the whole, every Faction is playable. However, you must remember that Allies are an intended part of the game - even if you, personally don't like them. If your Faction's entire army list is lacking in a certain area, you may have to consider whether or not it was intended to be that way, and you will have to consider whether or not to bring Allies into your army.

Helpful Army Building Guides
    Spoiler
    Show
    Chaos Space Marines by LeSwordfish
    Dark Angels
    Death Guard by LeSwordfish
    Grey Knights
    Necrons by Requizen
    Space Marines Part I - Part II

Index: Imperium I
    Deathwatch

Building on a Budget
    Adeptus Mechanicus
    Space Marines

30K/Heresy Guides
    30K Relics by Vaz
    Solar Auxilia by Vaz
    Taghmata Omnissiah Army List by Vaz
    Questoris Knights by Vaz

30K/Legion Rules
    Legion Crusade Army List
    Legion Special Rules
    The Primarchs

Previous Threads

Here's a bunch of Battle Reports for you to read. Plenty of army lists in there.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2018-04-08 at 10:19 AM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXIII: Only in Nerf Does Duty End

Last time in The Eternal Darkness...

New Topics;
    • The Daemons Codex reviews are out. Some things have been horrendously nerfed (Slaanesh), some things seem really good.
    • Adeptus Custodes and Thousand Sons are confirmed for being the next Codecies. Rampant speculation and wild wishlisting, go!
    • Can someone go through the Death Guard half of Dark Imperium and Know No Fear for me (I'm just assuming that First Strike is hot garbage)? For reference, there's still blue placeholder text in the OP and I don't it. Chapter Approved is out, and Death Guard have had their Codex and Errata/FAQ. So Dark Imperiuum and Know No Fear are both complete, now.
    • Has anyone been playing Tyranids since the Codex, and what are you running?

...Welcome back to The Darkness.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2018-01-08 at 08:18 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I do so dearly hope my Tau get their codex after TSons and Custodes.

Or Sisters. That release, assuming it comes with some plastic kits, is not going to be kind on my wallet.

Do we have any word if other parts of the AoS tzeentch range got added to the TSons codex, or just the Tzaangors? I'd love to be able to use my Ogroid Thaumaturge in 40k.
    Last edited by Tome; 2018-01-08 at 08:24 AM.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    ...I think Custodes come first, then Thousand Sons. Unlike a lot of Factions in the game, Magnus actually did make it to Terra and did make an assault on it (take that, Abaddon).
    After Thousand Sons, Space Wolves would be the logical choice.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    [*] Has anyone been playing Tyranids since the Codex, and what are you running?.
    Yes. Genestealers, carnifexes (of all stripes) & exocrines remain some of our best units. Swarmlord remains situationally useful but requires significant support and is now partially redundant due to strategems and is a high cost investment (if including the mandatory tyrant guard). Winged hive tyrant made a big comeback though not the exclusively useful unit they were in 7th. Biovores are good. Lictors + pheremone trail remains useless, even GW has said they'll "get back to us" about what possible use the strategem has. Neurothropes are now go to default for cheap hq. Prime remains a suckers game. Tyrannofexes are better than ever though acid spray (their best weapon) is limited in range. Mixed term/devilgaunts units are okay, hormagaunts are tarpit still. Garg easily get out of synapse unless you drop in a forward synapse unit (a la tyrant). Broodlord and hive guard remain good (impaler cannon edges out for range). Fliers are meh.

I could go on but is there a specific question?
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

...I think Custodes come first, then Thousand Sons. Unlike a lot of Factions in the game, Magnus actually did make it to Terra and did make an assault on it (take that, Abaddon).
    I have 16 crisis suits collecting dust, I want my space mecha damnit.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I'll be at the announcement panel at LVO. If they announce an Imperial or Chaos book before Xenos I'm just boxing up all my Necrons and starting some type of Marine because clearly they don't give a damn.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Requizen View Post
    I'll be at the announcement panel at LVO. If they announce an Imperial or Chaos book before Xenos I'm just boxing up all my Necrons and starting some type of Marine because clearly they don't give a damn.
    They said, up front, at the start of 8th Ed., that the Imperial-Chaos conflict will make the core of the story.
    Why would they care about a Faction that isn't selling?
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

This OP is currently full of placeholder answers. Check back in a week.
    We may have collectively missed this deadline. Comments in Red below are what I've added.

I'm new to the hobby. Which army should I start?
    It really depends on what you want to play. And how your meta-game shapes up. Find out what everyone else is playing near you, and play anything not those armies for best results. Generally, the best choice will be your favourite Start Collecting Box, and the relevant Codex or Index. As a rule of thumb, though, armies without Codecies are weaker than those with.

If you want to start Space Marines (of any sort) or Death Guard, then the various Starter boxes will offer you similar stuff to a Start Collecting box for both armies, plus some useful extras.

How much does it cost?

Is WH40K expensive? Yes. I suppose it is. We all know it is. But, practically speaking, it's no more expensive than any other hobby.

For example, compare it to computer games. A Playstation 4 and games bundle will set you back something like £250: with that as a starter budget, I can buy A Start Collecting Box, Codex, Dice, Tape Measure, basic paint box, modelling starter set - and still have comfortably over £100 to buy extra models (that could be two more troop boxes and a tank), or paints and modelling supplies. You then might spend £30-£50 a month picking up the latest new games for the playstation - or you could spend that on a new box of models. That could be much worse.

How many points do I need? What size board do I need?
    The recommended minimum is 1000.
    However, in other meta-games, find out what the local tournament standard is. Most people in your area should be playing at that points level. While you're at it, here's How to write an army list.

As for board size; a 4x4' table can accommodate up to 1500[/COLOR] Points with reasonable room left for movement. But, after that you should probably look at finding a 6x4' area. The floor is never a bad start.

What's the difference between Points and Power Rating?
    One Power Rating is roughly twenty points. It's a good system to use for getting a roughly balanced game when you're starting out and not thinking too much about effectiveness - but once you're trying to play even slightly competitively, it's worth using points instead.

Is there such a thing as a 'Bad' Codex?
    Not exactly. There are certainly bad, individual units, and we can help you identify which ones (or how to get the best out of them if you do want to use them. Every faction is playable, but factions that don't have a dedicated codex will have a harder time than those that do. Always keep up to date with the changes in Chapter Approved and the FAQs - they keep the game balanced and bring a lot of weaker units up to par.
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2018-01-08 at 12:16 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

They said, up front, at the start of 8th Ed., that the Imperial-Chaos conflict will make the core of the story.
    Yeah it sucks being an NPC race that doesn't matter.

Oh remember how the Necrons helped out at Baal to fight the Tyranids? Nah now it was Khorne who showed up and killed them instead. Much more interesting story.

Maybe Dark Angels will serve me better.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Can someone go through the Death Guard half of Dark Imperium and Know No Fear for me (I'm just assuming that First Strike is hot garbage)? For reference, there's still blue placeholder text in the OP and I don't it. Chapter Approved is out, and Death Guard have had their Codex and Errata/FAQ. So Dark Imperiuum and Know No Fear are both complete, now.
    Oh I forgot to say - I did this! It's not been updated with Chapter Approved, but both are reasonably solid boxes: 750ish for Dark Imperium and 450ish for Know No Fear. Two First Strikes and a Dark Imperium are a pretty good combination. The new Easy To Build boxes make for great additions too - three blight-haulers for £45 is a really solid way to move Dark Imperium towards a 1500pt list. Death Guard will never be top-tier competitive, but (bloat-drone aside) you can do a lot of good with those boxes.
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2018-01-08 at 12:34 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Because maybe if they cared about the faction, it would start selling?
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Because maybe if they cared about the faction, it would start selling?
    Ah, they beat me to it. What sells units? Good rules. What are two of the weaker teams? Necrons and Tau. Who aren't being played as much? Necrons and Tau!

Who was being played like crazy in 7th? Tau and Eldar. Two xenos Not!Space Marine armies. Because they were good and for some people, that's very important.

In a way though it is very nice. I've been able to pick up a lot of Tau stuff for very cheap since the old players are selling it off. They'll come out with a Tau codex eventually. I want to play them, but I'm patient and have other armies.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Requizen View Post
    Yeah it sucks being an NPC race that doesn't matter.

Oh remember how the Necrons helped out at Baal to fight the Tyranids? Nah now it was Khorne who showed up and killed them instead. Much more interesting story.
    I just read Devastation of Baal. Ugh, started good, really loses it at the end.
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devastation of Baal is rubbish because nothing that happens in the entire thing matters. All the fighting and build up gets wiped away by not one, but two Deus Ex Machinas over the course of about half a paragraph. First the Great Rift destroys the 'nid fleet, and then Guilliman swoops in and wipes out the ground swarms. Bit of a metaphor for 8th as a whole really: rendering entire stories and characters obsolete, and replacing them with Primarchs and Primaris Marines.

Also, why were they bothering to fight over Baal anyway? The place is a radioactive desert good for very little, and the Blood Angels aren't Space Wolves and can recruit from anywhere. They should have just evacuated as many civilians/tech/relics as possible, then done a Kryptmann and exterminatus'd the whole place after the 'nids had landed.

But this should all really be in the fluff thread.
    Looking back on sanity from the other side, and laughing really loudly

"In the whole of oWOD, there are only five normal people not somehow tied to the great supernatural conspiracy, and three of them were Elvis."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre View Post
    If Ravenloft has taught me anything, darkness only makes the stars shine brighter.
    Bowl of Petunias avatar by Rincewind

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post

Or Sisters. That release, assuming it comes with some plastic kits, is not going to be kind on my wallet.

Do we have any word if other parts of the AoS tzeentch range got added to the TSons codex, or just the Tzaangors? I'd love to be able to use my Ogroid Thaumaturge in 40k.
    I would love some Sisters, i could use more Storm Bolters.

Also, anything interesting come out of the Daemons Dex?

Because its not selling specifically because it has no rules and the models are rather outdated? Its disturbing how many armies this applies to.
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2018-01-08 at 04:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So I kind off stopped playing due to not liking the rules of 8th. But in the last thread Drasius said he wishes he can go back to playing 7th, which as I recall he was moaning about how broken it was. Is 8th really that bad?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tehnar View Post
    So I kind off stopped playing due to not liking the rules of 8th. But in the last thread Drasius said he wishes he can go back to playing 7th, which as I recall he was moaning about how broken it was. Is 8th really that bad?
    No. It's a lot better then 7th on pretty much every level. 8th has issues to be sure, but I can't think of one thing that 7th has done better.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

7th was crap because of the imbalance between the dexes, the mechanics, while a bit clunky, were still servicable. I honestly believe that with even the most minimal amount of effort, you could make a very fair game out of the mess that 7th ended up with. Having said that, I said I wanted to go back to 7th 'cause that was when I still had a group within 100kms to play with, not weighing in on the 7th Vs 8th debate.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

Trying the multiple detachment idea.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Multi-detachment, 1500 points

Battalion detachment, Cadian

Company Commander - 38 (W)
    -Power fist
    -Relic of Lost Cadia

Company Commander - 34
    -Power sword

Infantry Squad - 72
    -Vox-caster
    -Lascannon, flamer

Infantry Squad - 72
    -Vox-caster
    -Lascannon, flamer

Infantry Squad - 64
    -Vox-caster
    -Autocannon, flamer

Command Squad - 69
    -Medi-pack, vox-caster
    -Heavy flamer, plasma gun

Battalion detachment, Tempestus

Primaris Psyker - 46
    -Force staff
    -Terrifying Visions, Psychic Barrier

Tempestor Prime - 45
    -Bolt pistol, power sword

Tempestus Scions - 78
    -Two plasma guns, power sword
    -Two hotshot lasguns, hotshot laspistol

Tempestus Scions - 78
    -Two plasma guns, power sword

Tempestus Scions - 66
    -Two hotshot volley guns, power sword

Spearhead detachment, Cadian

Tank Commander - 237
    -Executioner, two plasma cannons, lascannon

Techpriest - 42

Heavy Mortar Battery - 216
    -Three heavy mortars
    -Nine Guardsman crew

Leman Russ Battle Tank - 168
    -Battle cannon, three heavy bolters

Leman Russ Battle Tank - 168
    -Battle cannon, three heavy bolters

This cuts my command point budget by two and gets me... another order giver and two more Russes (one a tank commander) in exchange for three Hellhounds and the storm trooper command squad. Also, it's seven points short and that's hard to fill. Guess I could chuck a hunter-killer on something. Alternatively I might just give up on the idea of the heavy mortar battery gimmick.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    We may have collectively missed this deadline. Comments in Red below are what I've added.
    Thanks.

But in the last thread Drasius said he wishes he can go back to playing 7th, which as I recall he was moaning about how broken it was.
    I remembered that, too. Which meant that I didn't think that Drasius actually wanted to go back to 7th. So he was either being facetious, or he meant something else.

Is 8th really that bad?
    It was in the beginning.
    It still is if your Faction doesn't have a Codex - sort of, Custodes, Thousand Sons Magnus/Ahriman and Tzaangors, Orks and Adeptus Ministorum are doing pretty well.

We're now 10 Codecies in - with 13 confirmed - with Chapter Approved, and a whole batch of nerfs (specifically, against Fliers), and despite the fact that I played a Gladius in 7th Ed., and am playing without Guilliman, now (or, trying to), I never want to go back to 7th Ed. again.

8th Ed. isn't bad. It has some flaws. But so did 7th Ed., and 7th's flaws were so much bigger.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Voidhawk View Post
    Devastation of Baal is rubbish
    Nah I disagree, I thought it was awesome even though we know what was about to happen it was the journey to get there. Yea Baal is a wasteland but it's as good a point as any to stop a hive fleet. I just ignore the primaris and Guilliman stuff.

As to hive fleets I've been running a swarmlord, broodlord, genestealers, warriors and carnifexs as my nids army currently. So far it is undefeated because the ability to charge the stealers in, in first turn is brutal.

The swarmlord is a beast and I'm finding the only ranged nids need is smite and psychic scream. I'm using all of my cp on the swarmlord, first to replace wounds and second to attack again against particularly tough opponents (mortarion *cough). I'm running behemoth for those sweet rerolls to charge.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Anyone here familiar w/ airbrush issues? Need some advice of a paint flow issue.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

So at least 50% sure I'm starting a Space Marine type force soon for obvious reasons. Rotating around Raven Guard and Dark Angels, but curious: how are Space Wolves after CA? Pretty much everything they have came down in points, including all the good Primaris things.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

They can be safely ignored until codex.
    Codex really shapes the army in a way the CA does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag81 View Post
    2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Correct me if I'm wrong, but by RAW there's nothing stopping you from using a Strategem to turn Lysander or Sicarius into a Chapter Master, is there? Just seems kind of funny, from a lore perspective.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but by RAW there's nothing stopping you from using a Strategem to turn Lysander or Sicarius into a Chapter Master, is there? Just seems kind of funny, from a lore perspective.
    No there isn't. In Sicarius' case, however, it's a waste of time, 'cause why didn't you take Calgar (or Guilliman) instead?
    In everyone else's case...Paying 3CPs for a Chapter Master is pretty bad, 'cause why aren't you playing a Chapter that comes with a Chapter Master, stock? (e.g; Raven Guard)

Pretty much the only time you should ever use that Stratagem, is if your <Captain> is on a Bike.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2018-01-10 at 01:50 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    Anyone here familiar w/ airbrush issues? Need some advice of a paint flow issue.
    when was the last time you cleaned your airbrush?
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    when was the last time you cleaned your airbrush?
    Regularly, including in the middle of my last session when it was acting up. I'm getting intermittent spray where it starts then stops, though I can sort of feather it to get bursts of paint every time. I tried mixing in thinner in case the paint was too thick (it was already an air paint) but that didn't seem to change anything.

I can try taking it apart and cleaning it again, but are there maybe any other issues? Would a lack of cleanliness aline explain why it starts initially then dies off?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    Regularly, including in the middle of my last session when it was acting up. I'm getting intermittent spray where it starts then stops, though I can sort of feather it to get bursts of paint every time. I tried mixing in thinner in case the paint was too thick (it was already an air paint) but that didn't seem to change anything.

I can try taking it apart and cleaning it again, but are there maybe any other issues? Would a lack of cleanliness aline explain why it starts initially then dies off?
    9 times out of 10, the solution is to clean it, clean it again and then clean it a third time for good measure. A bit of paint could be the reason, but it could also be something weird goign on with your air supply (though I doubt it). $10 on a stubborn bit of paint being the culprit.