New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXIII: Only in Nerf Does Duty End

I will totally buy that mini just for Starfinder.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

Predictions for Tau: things that used to be battlesuit upgrades are now strategems, as are ways to make marker lights good, crisis commanders will go up in price while nothing will drop in price to really make them worth taking. GW will laugh asking why you don't just buy more plague marines.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Voidhawk View Post
    Spoiler: Warhammer Community Video
    Show
    Nice, glad they have a sense of humor about it (and plastic SoB).
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Glad to se that Squats may come back, also not really surprised as the only reason they left was because they didn't feel "original" according to their original writers, as they were basically just SM Bike spam or something along that lines. SO maybe they have a good plan for them

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    Nice, glad they have a sense of humor about it (and plastic SoB).
    STOP MAKING JOKES AND GIVE ME MY SISTERS!!! *chews through table*
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post

STOP MAKING JOKES AND GIVE ME MY SISTERS!!! *chews through table*
    They're coming, they're coming, just need the plastic thunder hawks to deliver them to you first
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

They're coming, they're coming, just need the plastic thunder hawks to deliver them to you first
    I would kill for a plastic Thunderhawk for under $200.

Seriously GW. Who do you want gone?

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Reaction
    Show

Don't tease me bro
    Show

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So Valdor images are circulating, for his model to be released roughly the same time as Dorn.
    He's also big. He's also golden.
    ...He looks so much better than Dorn.

Dorn and Valdor? ...Battle of Terra is soon, right?
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2018-02-03 at 02:23 AM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

9. - Top - End - #279
    Barbarian in the Playground

It looks like I might finally be able to get back into 40k, after having to drop it pretty much since 8th has been out. I know 8th changed a good deal, but I've heard that Orks are pretty good despite the lack of a dedicated codex. That being established, any suggestions for how to step back into the game? Specifically what to bring for Orks? I think I'd like to stick to whatever the lowest sane point values are for a few weeks before I bust out a proppa Waaagh! again.

I also have a few handfuls of Guard, GKs, AdMech (Skitarii), Tzeentch Marines, and Slaaneshi Daemons if any of those would be recommended higher for re-beginners.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hootman View Post
    It looks like I might finally be able to get back into 40k, after having to drop it pretty much since 8th has been out. I know 8th changed a good deal, but I've heard that Orks are pretty good despite the lack of a dedicated codex. That being established, any suggestions for how to step back into the game? Specifically what to bring for Orks? I think I'd like to stick to whatever the lowest sane point values are for a few weeks before I bust out a proppa Waaagh! again.

I also have a few handfuls of Guard, GKs, AdMech (Skitarii), Tzeentch Marines, and Slaaneshi Daemons if any of those would be recommended higher for re-beginners.
    Orks are pretty easy. 90+ Boyz on foot. A Weirdboy or two to Jump/Warpath them. A Warboss, a Nob with a Waagh Banner. Then pretty much whatever you want. Some things like Biker Nobs are likely overpriced, but the Codex is coming out soon regardless. So just have fun. Or if you want to stomp some people, take another 90+ Boyz. Unless they have some serious anti-horde built into their list you'll win against anyone but the top teams.

Guard are really easy as well right now. As many Leman Russes as you've got, then Guardsmen+whatever else you need to finish a brigade. Scions are also really good and can be sprinkled into any guard list without penalty.

I don't have any advice for the other factions.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hootman View Post

Build them old school my dude, pick a Clan and model them after their favorite strategy. But heres a few of the bigger ideas:

Stormboy Hammer, Kommando Anvil: 90 Stormboyz lead by Zagstruk, 30 Kommandos lead by Snikrot (all in 5 man squads with 2 burnas, cuz duh), remaining points in some Big Guns and a KFF Big mek for you anti vehicle and whatever else you'd like.

Green Tide: All of the boyz. Who needs vehicles when you can just drown your opponent in corpses? Sprinkle Banners and Warbosses to taste.

Kan Wall: The Kan wall is back and it works...well enough. Each Kan is backed by a KFF Big Mek (or a Gorkanaut) and then you through in Boyz (or Stormboyz) to taste.

Theres more, Biker spam probably still works and i know that the Battlewagon Brigade still does the only real hard nos are:

Lootas: These old boyz took us through the bad times, always there killing stuff for us, but they just don't cut it anymore.

Stompa: Its an overpriced mess that takes up half your army and requires the support of the other half to actually get anything done. Do yourself a favor and just run 2 Nauts (never thought it say that) or half a dozen Deff Dredds.

Everything else is either good or only overcosted a bit.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #282
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Also Kustom Mega Kannon artillery is reasonably good if you like grots.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yaktan View Post
    Also Kustom Mega Kannon artillery is reasonably good if you like grots.
    KMKs are my favorite of the big guns. Kannons are cheaper, but KMK are just so much more killy.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #284
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Questions about vehicle loadouts for Guard (catachan):

Chimeras: I currently have two Chimeras, one multilaser/heavy bolster, and one double heavy flamer. So far the flamers have almost always been very effective, while the other has been almost entirely useless (except one game where it snipped the last wound off a dreadnaught holding the opponent's objective in the last turn).

I've got two more Chimera to build: would you recommend going for all flamers for them too, or should I mix in a little more long-range firepower?

Leman Russ: I've heard the the Punisher is very good, and the Exterminator is rubbish. Is this true? (I'm thinking of cutting up and combining some Exterminator cannons to make a counts-as Punished).

Sentinels: what configuration and loadouts?

I've assembled one as a scout/flamer/chainsaw (all magnetised). I know that's fluffy for Catachans, but is it effective? The scout move will help it get close to the enemy, but will it be too fragile to actually make it into contact?

Would that loadout be better on an armoured sentinel, and longer range weapons on the scout (using the scout move to get into position, without taking the normal hit penalty for moving)?

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Chimeras: I currently have two Chimeras, one multilaser/heavy bolster, and one double heavy flamer. So far the flamers have almost always been very effective, while the other has been almost entirely useless (except one game where it snipped the last wound off a dreadnaught holding the opponent's objective in the last turn).
    The idea behind the Multi-Laser/Heavy Bolter build, is for range. Since most people have no intention of driving their Chimeras forwards, and, they've also spent a Command Point on every Chimera on the board (Mobile Command Vehicle), and, since every Chimera contains an <Officer> inside, a Chimera's job is stay in the back, where the Multi-Laser/Heavy Bolter combo, well, it doesn't do nothing at all.

The second important point, is that when you start spamming multiple Chimeras, a Multi-Laser/Heavy Bolter combo is 14 Points cheaper than their dual Heavy Bolter counterpart. I'll wait while you look up Space Marine lists and how 'just 14 extra Points per Razorback' basically shafted the entire Codex. But, continuing...

The Heavy Bolter/Multi-Laser combo is the 'safe' option, that also happens to be cheaper.

If you don't use Chimeras as Command Vehicles - ignoring 'Then why are you using Chimeras at all, then?' - then yes. Using your Chimeras aggressively with double Heavy Flamers certainly has its advantages.

I've got two more Chimera to build: would you recommend going for all flamers for them too, or should I mix in a little more long-range firepower?
    What's the rest of your list?

Leman Russ: I've heard the the Punisher is very good, and the Exterminator is rubbish. Is this true?
    What is this, 7th Ed.? Punishers are garbage and Exterminators are good.

Here's the thing. When did you hear that? If you read it on the internet, what's the date stamp? Anything that was written before Dec/2017 is now pretty much incorrect, and anything written later than that, is pretty much due to change every three months or so, give or take (which is why I am no longer buying Codecies on release day anymore). We already know that the meta is going to change again, in March, when Eldar and Tyranids get hit with the nerf bat.

Then, of course, when you compare Punishers to spammed Heavy Weapon Teams...Yeah. Heavy Weapon Teams (Mortars or Heavy Bolters) are one of the best things in the book.

Whatever the cheapest option is. Sentinels are bad, and the only reason that they exist is to fill out Brigades.
    So, if you're going to run them, run them cheap.

I know that's fluffy for Catachans, but is it effective?
    Nothing is effective on a Sentinel.

but will it be too fragile to actually make it into contact?
    If you have to ask, you already know the answer.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2018-02-04 at 04:43 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post

I've assembled one as a scout/flamer/chainsaw (all magnetised). I know that's fluffy for Catachans, but is it effective? The scout move will help it get close to the enemy, but will it be too fragile to actually make it into contact?

Would that loadout be better on an armoured sentinel, and longer range weapons on the scout (using the scout move to get into position, without taking the normal hit penalty for moving)?
    You can likely get away with that simply because people don't tend to shoot Sentinels unless they have no other targets. Anyways, Sentinels make for great Brigade fillers and SUA blocking. So I suggest Scout Sentinels with the cheapest possible configuration possible.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

I couldn't claim to be an expert in guard, but I can't really see the benefit of heavy flamers over bolters at all. Unless you have something in them you really want to throw into the enemy face (... Ogryns?) they're just throwing good points after bad. I take three chimeras at 1500 points and try and keep them cheap, since they're 70% there for the fluff and 30% suicide objective-grabbers.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    ). We already know that the meta is going to change again, in March, when Eldar and Tyranids get hit with the nerf bat.
    I'm curious what we'll see change. Dark Reapers seem an obvious choice. Nids showings recently seem to be heavy flyrant lists (really? Sigh....). Pheromone trail doing something? Fewer acid maws per GS unit? M. Rending Claws costing something?

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    What is this, 7th Ed.? Punishers are garbage and Exterminators are good.

Here's the thing. When did you hear that? If you read it on the internet, what's the date stamp? Anything that was written before Dec/2017 is now pretty much incorrect, and anything written later than that, is pretty much due to change every three months or so, give or take (which is why I am no longer buying Codecies on release day anymore). We already know that the meta is going to change again, in March, when Eldar and Tyranids get hit with the nerf bat.

Then, of course, when you compare Punishers to spammed Heavy Weapon Teams...Yeah. Heavy Weapon Teams (Mortars or Heavy Bolters) are one of the best things in the book.
    Any particular reason you said March?
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Any particular reason you said March?
    After Adepticon there will be a big 40k FAQ that does larger adjustments than the "2 week after" ones. Part of the new FAQ/Errata format.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Requizen View Post
    After Adepticon there will be a big 40k FAQ that does larger adjustments than the "2 week after" ones. Part of the new FAQ/Errata format.
    I see. So Eldar nerfs.

Reduce the Range of the Warlock Buff powers.

Better yet, get rid of the individual Warlock unit. Either Conclave or nothing. (Though you still have Spiritseers, they are at least a bit more expensive)

Make Linked Fire 2 CP

Maybe change the Alitoc bonus to something else. The -1 to hit is really devastating on armies with really good shooting.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ettin in the Playground

So... things have gotten... Statistically improbable.

15 Genestealers in CQC with a single Dominus and a Cybernetica Datasmith. Two Genestealers die. The Datasmith Takes One wound. Which is promptly healed next turn.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'm curious what we'll see change.
    Basically, if they weren't in Chapter Approved and they're winning (shock), they're getting nerfed.
    - Eldar, Tyranids, Blood Angels Sanguinary Guard and Death Company and Dark Angels Black Knights and Hellblasters.

Hopefully models that are Ynnari, aren't also Craftworlders. Something is going to happen with Relics.
    We're going to see Dark Reapers and Shining Spears get nerfed for sure.

Nids showings recently seem to be heavy flyrant lists (really? Sigh...).
    Hive Tyrants will almost certainly go up in points.
    Something needs to be done about Rippers and Mucloids being made to make up Detachments, though that sounds like a 'complicated' rule and not something that GW is going to do.
    Monstrous Rending Claws shouldn't be 0 Points.
    Mawlocs need to cost more than 100.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2018-02-04 at 05:47 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

24. - Top - End - #294

PirateGuy

So i am back to debating with myself if i wanna get into 40k.

Last time my trouble was not knowing what faction to pick for gameplay, esthetic and fluff reasons. As every time a faction ticked one box, it failed another.

so i just started to ignore my own indicisiveness and told myself to go for primaris marines, i am told they are good for beginners, and they look kind of dope, and you get to pick from a bunch of chapters....

then i had to pick a chapter, a boy.

I have been reading about all the chapters on 1d4chan, the humorous nature making all that grimdarkness more palatable and have found the Guardians of the Covenant. A Dark Angel succesor with rather good looking grey/black/red colour scheme.

question is, a different DA succesor is described as ''the primaris'' succesor. do the others not get primaris forces as part of the chapter, thats what i thought happend to the rest of the imperium... Also, are the Guardians ''cool''? Does te playground have a opinion on them whatsoever?

Also, succesors just use the rules of the Dark Angles right? is there anything special i should be aware off regarding that chapter+primaris? As mentioned earlier in the thread, i am completely new to the tabletop of 40k, so explenations at a 3rd grade level are much apreciated :)

I mostly just want to get a small starting unit to try out the hobby so to speak, but being a picky person, i cant just go and pain super soldiers bright blue, that's insanity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orderic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swaoeaeieu
    Or maybe, i dont know... adoption?
    Don't be ridiculous. We need those orphans...
    If at any point you notice mistakes in my English, please let me know, I am always looking to improve.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swaoeaeieu View Post
    So i am back to debating with myself if i wanna get into 40k.

Last time my trouble was not knowing what faction to pick for gameplay, esthetic and fluff reasons. As every time a faction ticked one box, it failed another.

so i just started to ignore my own indicisiveness and told myself to go for primaris marines, i am told they are good for beginners, and they look kind of dope, and you get to pick from a bunch of chapters....

then i had to pick a chapter, a boy.

I have been reading about all the chapters on 1d4chan, the humorous nature making all that grimdarkness more palatable and have found the Guardians of the Covenant. A Dark Angel succesor with rather good looking grey/black/red colour scheme.

question is, a different DA succesor is described as ''the primaris'' succesor. do the others not get primaris forces as part of the chapter, thats what i thought happend to the rest of the imperium... Also, are the Guardians ''cool''? Does te playground have a opinion on them whatsoever?

Also, succesors just use the rules of the Dark Angles right? is there anything special i should be aware off regarding that chapter+primaris? As mentioned earlier in the thread, i am completely new to the tabletop of 40k, so explenations at a 3rd grade level are much apreciated :)

I mostly just want to get a small starting unit to try out the hobby so to speak, but being a picky person, i cant just go and pain super soldiers bright blue, that's insanity.
    Successors do just use the rules of their 'parent' chapter, unless they have special rules of their own ala Black Templers.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ettin in the Playground

Except Warlord Traits apparently.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Troll in the Playground

And strategems.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Except theres nothing stopping anyone from painting them however they want and just calling the Chapter <X>, and if GW suddenly says so it will be the most widely ignored rule ever.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Swaoeaeieu View Post
    question is, a different DA succesor is described as ''the primaris'' succesor. do the others not get primaris forces as part of the chapter
    Other Chapters get Primaris Marines just fine. What you read about, was a Chapter made up exclusively of Primaris Marines.

Also, succesors just use the rules of the Dark Angles right?
    Dark Angels Successors can only ever take Heavenfall Blades as their Relics, and can't use Special characters with <Dark Angels> as their fixed Keyword.

...and then disregard all of that and call your army <Dark Angels> with a different colour scheme.

See, what most people care about, is a Successor that actually has dedicated rules (e.g; Forge World Chapters), as in the Codex, it says that Successor Chapters generally just use the rules of their parent Chapter, except when as stated (e.g; Black Templars, Crimson Fists). Except then Successor Chapters came out with 'real rules' from Forge World, and people were double dipping both sets of rules, which was unfair. Then GW made a really, really, really dumb mistake by not differentiating between Successors with rules, and those without...And just blanket nerfed Successors...
    (But that doesn't stop Ynarri/Craftworlds does it, GW?)

...Except nobody plays by that rule if you aren't using a Chapter that doesn't have rules. Playing by GW's rules, means that hobbyists will only ever make a Chapter based on what GW can advertise...
    Oh, right.

is there anything special i should be aware off regarding that chapter+primaris?
    No. For all intents and purposes, Primaris Marines and Space Marines are exactly the same.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

30. - Top - End - #300

PirateGuy

And is going purely primaris dark angels (or its succesor) is tactically a sound idea?

as far as i read, Dark Angels have very special fluff and aparantly use a lot of old tech, but i can't tell what that means for the game itself. Are they great at shooting, more melee focussed or very defensive?

basically, is my idea to start as them actually a good idea?
    Quote Originally Posted by Orderic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swaoeaeieu
    Or maybe, i dont know... adoption?
    Don't be ridiculous. We need those orphans...
    If at any point you notice mistakes in my English, please let me know, I am always looking to improve.