New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Question Which living author would you most like to see another book from?

Among living authors which one would you most like to see another book?

Spoiler: I'd most like to see more from...
    Show
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Which living author would you most like to see another book from?

Dammit, I was thinking the same thing as soon as I read the thread. Before even opening the spoiler. Most of my other favourite authors are writing steadily, but she just has one big book.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

I could go for her. As already pointed out, the other ones I know of that are alive and want to read more of are still writing.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

I always get excited by new books from my favorites (Stephenson, de Lint, Barker, Rushdie, Murakami, etc) and many others who have sadly passed away, but of any living author, I thin I really want a sequel to Diane Duane's Omnitopia Dawn. Fairly light sci-fi, set in an MMO and got REALLY interesting at the end. It was supposed to be the first in a series, but that was 2010, and no book 2 on the horizon. I really want to see where the story goes!

Also, Bryan Fuller was supposed to do a comic book series finishing up Pushing Daisies. So far, nothing.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I would very much like another history/autobiography by Sarah Vowell. I know she must be somewhat busy with that Incredibles sequel, but... let's just leave it at I wouldn't have gotten through at least one administration without The Wordy Shipmates.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Obligatory George R.R. Martin reply.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Also obligatory Patrick Rothfuss reply.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    Also obligatory Patrick Rothfuss reply.
    Eh. As far as I'm concerned, he wrote two excellent books, one of which doesn't quite hold up as well on a re-read and one mediocre one that was in bad need of some editing. Though I'd like to see the story finish sometime.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Otomodachi View Post
    Obligatory George R.R. Martin reply.
    Beat me to it.,
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Eh. As far as I'm concerned, he wrote two excellent books, one of which doesn't quite hold up as well on a re-read and one mediocre one that was in bad need of some editing. Though I'd like to see the story finish sometime.
    That's good enough for me.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Hilary Mantel - but as with GRRM and Rothfuss above, that's less "I really like her writing and want to read more from her" and more "I want her to publish the final instalment of the trilogy that I've been waiting for".

Susanna Clarke is a good call. Maybe Patrick Süskind. Donna Tartt, perhaps? But The Goldfinch was a bit of a disappointment. Joshua Ferris, Karen Joy Fowler? I'd like another good novel from Ben Elton, but he's been off form for about fifteen years.

This thread has made me realise that most of my favourite authors are dead.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Although the latest books had gotten a bit weird, I'd like to see the end of Orson Scott Card's Alvin Maker series.

At least, to my knowledge he never finished it. I haven't followed his publications as closely the past few years as I used to.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I definitely want a new GRRM novel, or, even better, a new collection of sci-fi short stories. I love his old stuff from the eighties, it's just so perfectly and beautifully bleak and existentially horrifying.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

14. - Top - End - #14

Devil

Jim Butcher, luckily its likely to happen this year.

15. - Top - End - #15

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by chainer1216 View Post
    Jim Butcher, luckily its likely to happen this year.
    Amen, brother.

I want one more Vorkosigan novel and two more Five Gods novels out of Lois McMaster Bujold.

And I want more Glen Cook (and in September, I shall! New Black Company, HO!).

16. - Top - End - #16
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
    I want one more Vorkosigan novel and two more Five Gods novels out of Lois McMaster Bujold.
    I want another Vorkosigan novel that's, well, a Vorkosigan novel. I was a bit disappointed by the "Miles's mother develops a new romantic relationship" plot, I want to see Miles throwing all of his resources and improvisational ingenuity at a serious problem that truly requires it.

Also I want more Brandon Sanderson books, but he's not exactly slow about producing more of them.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2018-01-11 at 01:49 AM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Glen Cook. There are supposedly 2 more Black Company books coming. I'm interested to see what he does with them; it seemed like the Black Company's story was pretty well wrapped up.

18. - Top - End - #18

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    Glen Cook. There are supposedly 2 more Black Company books coming. I'm interested to see what he does with them; it seemed like the Black Company's story was pretty well wrapped up.
    A Pitiless Rain is still vaporware.

But Port of Shadows, set between The Black Company and Shadows Linger, 25 September 2018! Available for preorder on Amazon.

19. - Top - End - #19

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    I want another Vorkosigan novel that's, well, a Vorkosigan novel. I was a bit disappointed by the "Miles's mother develops a new romantic relationship" plot, I want to see Miles throwing all of his resources and improvisational ingenuity at a serious problem that truly requires it.
    You will note, it's the Vorkosigan Series, not the Miles Vorkosigan series.

I will laid a solid wager that Gentleman Jolie and the Red Queen is the last Vorkosigan book. We started this rollercoaster with Cordelia falling in love and we end this rollercoaster with Cordelia falling in love. Bookends.

Too bad. I was hoping for General Piotr during the Cetagandan Occupation novel, myself.

On the other hand, Herself stated on more than one occasion that she couldn't see herself writing an Ivan book either. Then we go Captain Vorpatril's Alliance, and I for one am grateful.

So you never know.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Brandon Sanderson. Thankfully this is a pretty safe wish :P
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Another Laundry title from Charles Stross is always appreciated.

Rothfuss was already mentioned, but I'll add my name anyway.

GRRM is a fine author. It may get me mobbed by his GoT fans, but I'd really love to see more Tuff chronicles from him.

Sir Terry Pratchett and Iain M. Banks are sorely missed!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

My favorite author, of course, Timothy Zahn. And, oh, look at that, theres one coming out in a few months.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

23. - Top - End - #23

It was a pleasant surprise to get another Kundera book a couple of years ago. He's still alive, although really old, but one can dream
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

24. - Top - End - #24

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    "pre-CIOUS!"

Soon; it's coming.

Back to Cook; I want another Garrett, PI novel too. What happened next!?

Back to Bujold; while I would *love* another Vorkosigan novel, especially a Young Piotr novel, I would also love move 5 Gods novels. We have three; we need two more to complete the set. The Penric novellas are wonderful, but they're *too short.*

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    Next one is out this year.

He's just released a new book like last week. (Not Laundry Files, Dark State)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

More Peter F. Hamilton Space Opera would be welcome, I've been working through the Void Trilogy and I'd love to read something from him without so much fantasy (I love the books during the Space Opera bits, but the fantasy sections drag). Thankfully it looks like there will be a new one in September, so I have until then to slog through this trilogy.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

27. - Top - End - #27

EvilClericGuy

New Dresden Files! Brief Cases, another anthology, June 5th, 2018.

No ETA on Peace Talks, yet, but new Dresden is new Dresden.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

GRRM of course. Wouldn't mind another book from Susanna Clarke either. Rumor was she was going to write something from the perspective of Childemass. Jim Butcher I'll take anything from. But I am really looking forward to a continuation of The Aeronaut's Windlass. I want another gentleman avatars book from Scott Lynch too.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I was going to say Janet Kagan, but looking at her Wikipedia entry she died ~10 years ago. Shame. Both Mirabile and Hellspark were fantastic, and I would have loved to see more from her. Sci-fi novels without ravening hordes of aliens or dark and gritty space wars, just imaginative stories set on distant worlds.

30. - Top - End - #30

ClericGirl

Michael Flynn. Shipwrecks of Time. In which he promises to be at his most Tom Wolfe-y while also involving time travel, and which has been a WIP for at least five years. Get on it, dude!
    Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.