New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: OOTS #1109 - The Discussion Thread

Couldn't they just cast an illusion on the cieling to block the sight? Assuming they don't let the vamps trigger it by turning them or something?

Or... Unleash bloodfeast to block it.
    Assuming they stoneskin it.

Wait... We already saw that V knows wall passage. Can they just bypass the trap entirely with it?

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    I think sending has set up more punch lines than any other spell in this comic, right?
    I think explosive runes has the most punchlines. But I haven't counted.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 2xMachina View Post
    1 easy way to bypass Symbol of Death.

Get Death Ward cast before.

In fact, it's a good ward to get before facing any Undead.
    Prevents Energy Drain, death spells, etc.
    Hilgya could cast it, she has high enough level. The main question is if she prepared it, and how many did she prepare.

Minrah has proved herself able to cast 3rd level spells, thus, she's at least 5th level Cleric. To cast Death Ward, she should be 7th+ level Cleric, but hasn't demonstrated such level yet.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

3. - Top - End - #183
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Any arguments about V's friendship with Elan, or any other relationship (especially that with their spouse) based upon the Soul Splice / mass murder assume that V has not changed significantly since then and learned nothing about themselves.

I think it would be tedious to enumerate the counterexamples; in brief, every time that the topic has been germane to the strip since V fled in horror at their own behavior in the pyramid, we've either seen V trying to do better, or at least, not displaying the same old behaviors of contempt, arrogance, and lust for power.

Character growth is a key theme of the strip. Saying that V has not experience growth is a rather large contradiction to the author's stated intent.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground

I always thought that Mr. Burlew's point isn't that we are only who we are on our worst day, but that it is still a part of who we are. I mean, we have a villain built around Durkon's literal worst day personified, so their struggle is a direct contrast between Dukon on his worst day, and literally everything else about him as a character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

5. - Top - End - #185

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Symbol of Death does not inflict HP damage. It just adds the "you are dead" status if you fall under the HP cap and fail the save. If you pass the save, you do not get the "you are dead" status and thus are fine.
    No, but the amount of targets it can ultimately affect has a hit point "budget"--and in the absence of more explicitly written language that, say, forcing a 75 hit point creature to make a Fortitude save or die doesn't count if the creature makes its save (and that theoretically the symbol could keep targeting an infinite number of such creatures during the time frame of the symbol as long as no more than one of them fails a save), I'd rule that a resisted death "zap" from the symbol drains it just like one that isn't does.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by eilandesq View Post
    No, but the amount of targets it can ultimately affect has a hit point "budget"--and in the absence of more explicitly written language that, say, forcing a 75 hit point creature to make a Fortitude save or die doesn't count if the creature makes its save (and that theoretically the symbol could keep targeting an infinite number of such creatures during the time frame of the symbol as long as no more than one of them fails a save), I'd rule that a resisted death "zap" from the symbol drains it just like one that isn't does.
    As do I.

The spell clearly bypasses without reduction anyone above the HP cap, but it does not bypass those who make their save. I'd rule that amount of the spell's HP budget is used to no effect.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    I always thought that Mr. Burlew's point isn't that we are only who we are on our worst day, but that it is still a part of who we are.
    A part of who we are, and who we know we can be. Sometimes, we don't know what we are capable of, in both better and worse senses, until we are put under significant stress. (And for a RL example, the above is sort of why USMC boot camp, the Army's Ranger School, and Seal Training / BUDS are structured the way that they are).
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

8. - Top - End - #188

Wondering if Anarchic Water is produced when you melt this stuff:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amorphous_ice

9. - Top - End - #189
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kami2awa View Post
    Wondering if Anarchic Water is produced when you melt this stuff:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amorphous_ice
    Yes, because all liquid water molecules are anarchic, following Brownian motion, whether melted from amorphous or crystalline ice.
    Matthew Greet
    My purpose in life is to play games.

10. - Top - End - #190

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Greater Scrying is level 7 for clerics, so Hilgya is at least level 13. That would make her almost a match for Durkon, if not for Durkula. The Crystal-Haley nemesis rules are in effect; Hilgya must have kept up with Durkon prior to his vampirization even while pregnant.

Of course, she might be level 20. Unlikely that she's higher level than Durkon was, but it cannot be ruled out.
    Would the nemesis rule have given her extra levels when Durkon was vampirized, so that she'd match his new effective character level? Or would that not happen because Durkula isn't the real Durkon? (And because giving her 8 extra levels would probably push her into Epic, and thus make her entirely too strong an ally to keep the fight interesting.)

11. - Top - End - #191

Thumbs up Re: OOTS #1109 - The Discussion Thread

Does Vampire Durkon know they were spying on them? Because he has no way of knowing that or they'd do so, or that they'd spy on him in that particular time. Basically, if he backtracked their spell, it feels like less that the odds are against them and more like the narrative is outright CHEATING.

Hopefully this information on the vampire's ambush will enable the Order of the Stick to cripple Vampire Durkon's options. You think Vampire Durkon would know from his host's memories that it's smarter to just RUN AWAY from these guys are they have a habit of 90% of the time of NOT DYING. And to just set up delays so they can accomplish their mission, which are far more likely to be effective.

But seriously, to be honest honest? This comic feels like a BREATH OF FRESH AIR!!! Finally the Order of the Stick gets the drop on the enemy for once, Vampire Durkon is most likely there to bait them into the trap they're setting up, likely with some decay traps to make the heroes feel good about themselves... but he doesn't know the Order of the Stick knows ... which means I can look forward to the order of the stick kicking undead butt in the next few comics! :-)

12. - Top - End - #192

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Warlorn View Post
    Spoiler: not a spoiler, just condensing
    Show
    Does Vampire Durkon know they were spying on them? Because he has no way of knowing that or they'd do so, or that they'd spy on him in that particular time. Basically, if he backtracked their spell, it feels like less that the odds are against them and more like the narrative is outright CHEATING.

Hopefully this information on the vampire's ambush will enable the Order of the Stick to cripple Vampire Durkon's options. You think Vampire Durkon would know from his host's memories that it's smarter to just RUN AWAY from these guys are they have a habit of 90% of the time of NOT DYING. And to just set up delays so they can accomplish their mission, which are far more likely to be effective.

But seriously, to be honest honest? This comic feels like a BREATH OF FRESH AIR!!! Finally the Order of the Stick gets the drop on the enemy for once [snip]
    Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and sometimes a lucky break is just a lucky break. It often seems everything is ordered so as to frustrate (panel 3) the Sticks, but it's not an immutable law of the universe.

Speaking of breaths of fresh air...
    Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    I always thought that Mr. Burlew's point isn't that we are only who we are on our worst day, but that it is still a part of who we are. I mean, we have a villain built around Durkon's literal worst day personified, so their struggle is a direct contrast between Dukon on his worst day, and literally everything else about him as a character.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    A part of who we are, and who we know we can be. Sometimes, we don't know what we are capable of, in both better and worse senses, until we are put under significant stress. (And for a RL example, the above is sort of why USMC boot camp, the Army's Ranger School, and Seal Training / BUDS are structured the way that they are).
    Indeed to both.

Imo, those training methods demonstrate it's completely backwards to think that we can never be better than on our worst day.

13. - Top - End - #193

Quote Originally Posted by Red XIV View Post
    Would the nemesis rule have given her extra levels when Durkon was vampirized, so that she'd match his new effective character level? Or would that not happen because Durkula isn't the real Durkon? (And because giving her 8 extra levels would probably push her into Epic, and thus make her entirely too strong an ally to keep the fight interesting.)
    Level adjustment is not extra levels. It's just a mechanic for determining how much extra XP you need to acquire to level up.

14. - Top - End - #194

Would the nemesis rule have given her extra levels
    I dunno about giving her levels as a nemesis, but if he got her pregnant he certainly gave her emesis.

15. - Top - End - #195

Quote Originally Posted by oonker View Post
    It's a shame that Durkula just used 5000 diamond dust to ower up this symbol of death spell. Oh, well, it's not like they would need diamond to cast a ressurrection, after Durkula's body is destroyed.
    I'm guessing this will be of importance.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

16. - Top - End - #196

She's probably Durkon's level, but that might be before the LA from the template.
    Last edited by Goblin_Priest; 2018-01-10 at 10:47 PM.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

17. - Top - End - #197

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Please, Roy, please, Roy, don't let him know you know about the ambush!
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...6#post15476516

I know I'm stealing this from someone else. But it's SO FUNNY

Zweisteine quoting Razanir:

"I am a human sixtyfourthling! Fear my minimal halfling ancestry!"

Bagnold could be one sixty-fourth halfling.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Vampires can at all times climb surfaces as if they were under the effects of a spider climb spell.
    oonker, Keltest: thank you, that explains it. I didn't know vampires could do that.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SlashDash View Post
    Couldn't they just cast an illusion on the cieling to block the sight? Assuming they don't let the vamps trigger it by turning them or something?

Or... Unleash bloodfeast to block it.
    Assuming they stoneskin it.

Wait... We already saw that V knows wall passage. Can they just bypass the trap entirely with it?

I think explosive runes has the most punchlines. But I haven't counted.
    That would be a nice thread to start: punchline index - who's the funniest?

...that I won't start, of course.

Also, if Bloodfeast indeed is dispelled and turned back into his tyranossaurus form, I call that the vampire he will eat is the Exarch:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1014.html
    Last edited by oonker; 2018-01-11 at 08:12 AM.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by F.Harr View Post
    Please, Roy, please, Roy, don't let him know you know about the ambush!
    I don't think Roy's Wisdom score is THAT bad. I personally would hope Roy says something clever and creates a counter-ambush, but *shrug* we shall see.
    Currently taking part in Godbound campaign:
    Oberon, level 3 Dragonborn paladin, Godbound of Sun, Fertility and Health:
    Famed for:
    1) Cutting a Drider Godbound in half with a greatsword
    2) Challenging an Ent Godbound to a fist fight sans godpowers, and winning
    3) Walking the city as a miniature sun and convincing all the rioting citizens that, no, the gods are not dead.
    4) He once bought an apple.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Warlorn View Post

But seriously, to be honest honest? This comic feels like a BREATH OF FRESH AIR!!! Finally the Order of the Stick gets the drop on the enemy for once, Vampire Durkon is most likely there to bait them into the trap they're setting up, likely with some decay traps to make the heroes feel good about themselves... but he doesn't know the Order of the Stick knows ... which means I can look forward to the order of the stick kicking undead butt in the next few comics! :-)
    Durkula is the anti-Durkon. Durkon was humble and a great support caster; Durkula is arrogant and the most dangerous member of his team. Remember that one of the Giant's favorite tropes is that people are brought down by their flaws; Durkula's pride will be his undoing, and I think we're about to see an example.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

22. - Top - End - #202

Quote Originally Posted by oonker View Post
    Also, if Bloodfeast indeed is dispelled and turned back into his tyranossaurus form, I call that the vampire he will eat is the Exarch:
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1014.html
    That's a good call. Durkon was present when the dinosaur was transformed, so he might not have risked casting dispel magic anywhere near it, but based on that comic strip, the Exarch doesn't know who the lizard really is.
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

23. - Top - End - #203

SamuraiGuy

Is there a reason to assume Durkula isn't scrying (one of) them back since they last saw him? If one of his clerics was scrying Haley for instance; he would have known the exact timing to fake a Death Symbol with absolute precision.

And also would possibly know what countermeasures they will be preparing for their assault.
    Last edited by Lord Joeltion; 2018-01-11 at 01:37 PM.
    (sic)

My English non très bueno, da? CALL: 0800-BADGRINGO

24. - Top - End - #204

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by joeltion View Post
    Is there a reason to assume Durkula isn't scrying (one of) them back since they last saw him? If one of his clerics was scrying Haley for instance; he would have known the exact timing to fake a Death Symbol with absolute precision.

And also would possibly know what countermeasures they will be preparing for their assault.
    Anyone within visual range of the scrying sensor can make a DC 20 intelligence check to spot it, per the 3.5 SRD. Which means that even if Durkula doesn't make his check (the Geekery thread seems to have no data on Durkon's intelligence, but the vampire template would increase whatever it was by 2, so the default assumption would be a 12 INT for Durkula and therefore needing to roll a 19 to make that check), any of the other vampires and or/vampire spawn in the room with a 10 or higher INT have a chance to make that check successfully.

25. - Top - End - #205

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Casimir-Ivanova View Post
    I don't think Roy's Wisdom score is THAT bad. I personally would hope Roy says something clever and creates a counter-ambush, but *shrug* we shall see.
    One would hope that the fact that a fair number of those vampires still have Protection from Fire on them from his last slip up would have taught him a lesson--it might even be an opportunity for him to give them bad information based on their recollection of the last time he screwed up that way.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eilandesq View Post
    Anyone within visual range of the scrying sensor can make a DC 20 intelligence check to spot it, per the 3.5 SRD. Which means that even if Durkula doesn't make his check (the Geekery thread seems to have no data on Durkon's intelligence, but the vampire template would increase whatever it was by 2, so the default assumption would be a 12 INT for Durkula and therefore needing to roll a 19 to make that check), any of the other vampires and or/vampire spawn in the room with a 10 or higher INT have a chance to make that check successfully.
    I have read the 3.5 srd and it doesn't mention that Int check, only a Will save that determines if the spell works or not. At least in the description of scrying.

Anyway it would be nice that our heroes get the strategic upper hand for once
    Last edited by Spanish_Paladin; 2018-01-11 at 05:39 PM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spanish_Paladin View Post
    I have read the 3.5 srd and it doesn't mention that Int check, only a Will save that determines if the spell works or not. At least in the description of scrying.
    It's a standard feature of spells of the scrying subschool.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD, Magic Overview, Spell Descriptions
    Scrying

A scrying spell creates an invisible magical sensor that sends you information. Unless noted otherwise, the sensor has the same powers of sensory acuity that you possess. This level of acuity includes any spells or effects that target you, but not spells or effects that emanate from you. However, the sensor is treated as a separate, independent sensory organ of yours, and thus it functions normally even if you have been blinded, deafened, or otherwise suffered sensory impairment.

Any creature with an Intelligence score of 12 or higher can notice the sensor by making a DC 20 Intelligence check. The sensor can be dispelled as if it were an active spell.

Lead sheeting or magical protection blocks a scrying spell, and you sense that the spell is so blocked.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2018-01-11 at 05:42 PM.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

28. - Top - End - #208
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Oh, thank you!! ^_^

P. S. : I still wish that they will surprise Greg

29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by warmachine View Post
    Yes, because all liquid water molecules are anarchic, following Brownian motion, whether melted from amorphous or crystalline ice.
    Technically all molecules are anarchic, since they all contain atoms, and electrons move around mostly randomly.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

30. - Top - End - #210

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Oops, I missed that "12 or higher INT" requirement when I looked at the definition. That's certainly the *average* INT for a group of dwarves turned into vampires (because of the +2 bonus), but if they were dumber than average to start out with it could eliminate some potential spotters for what is already a tough roll. This could turn out to be important.