Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 73
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Definitely Somewhere

    Default Character name issues with a player

    So I have this one player who always comes up with the most ridiculous character names. She's a great player, but she just... well, here are some of her names.

    Tazooka Thalia ... (five middle names in total) Wagami (a gnome)
    Chocolate Orca Underwear or something similar (a tabaxi)
    Quietstabber Quiche Spaghettisauce (a wood elf, raised by gnomes)

    I let the first one through, because it's just a funny name and there isn't that much weird about it other than the fact of having five middle names. I also let her use the second one, because.. well, look at the tabaxi names in the 5e Volo's Guide. There are a lot of weird nouns & adjectives in them. The third one, however, just makes no sense. I told her that she had to have an actual first name, so she came up with "Awkward". This would make the character's name Awkward Quietstabber Quiche Spaghettisauce, which is even worse. What should I do?
    The Greatest Threads Of GiantITP (in my opinion):
    A story of the exact wrong way to run a campaign.
    The best thread derailment of all time.
    The "canonical" list of Mostly Useless Magic Items.
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

    Working on a laptop connected to the Internet is like writing on a typewriter welded to a circus. -Unknown

    My Nexus character

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    The Frozen North
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Character name issues with a player

    One player named his Elven mage Gale Merrywheather to which the Paladin retorted "Sounds like a hooker to me"
    Optimizing vs Roleplay
    If the worlds greatest optimizer makes a character and hands it to the worlds greatest roleplayer who roleplays the character. What will happen? Will the Universe implode?

    Roleplaying vs Fun
    If roleplaying is no fun then stop doing it. Unless of course you are roleplaying at gunpoint then you should roleplay like your life depended on it.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Scripten's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Character name issues with a player

    Honest, if snarky, advice?

    Don't worry about it. My experience has been that the other party members will think up much more creative and demeaning nicknames in no time!
    Avatar credit to Shades of Gray

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2017

    Default Re: Character name issues with a player

    I second it, don't worry about it. Just pick one of the words that makes more sense to you or you can remember and use that and ignore the rest. As far as I'm concerned the three characters are "Tazooka", "Orca", and "Quiche".

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: Character name issues with a player

    If this is the biggest problem your campaign has then it doesn't really have problems, especially compared to elvish characters having super long poetic sounding gibberish. If it really bothers you maybe put a stop to names based on food. Or eat before you make your characters.

    Also there is nothing wrong with 5 middle names in the established gnome society. In fact I think that number might be a little low.
    Firm opponent of the one true path

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2016

    Default Re: Character name issues with a player

    Could very well self correct when the other players start playing.

    There was a cleric I played once, that I decided to name after a famous character, thinking the name might invoke images of wisdom.

    First game session, we all ended up in a cell, arguing our next move. Things were getting slightly heated (in character) so one of the players suddenly snapped at me “Listen Yoda!”. No idea what point he was going to make, because EVERYONE just started laughing.

    Once we got ourselves back under control, the first words said was by me “I’ll come up with a new name.”

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Definitely Somewhere

    Default Re: Character name issues with a player

    I don't really have any problems with the first few, but seriously, "Quietstabber"?
    The Greatest Threads Of GiantITP (in my opinion):
    A story of the exact wrong way to run a campaign.
    The best thread derailment of all time.
    The "canonical" list of Mostly Useless Magic Items.
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

    Working on a laptop connected to the Internet is like writing on a typewriter welded to a circus. -Unknown

    My Nexus character

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: Character name issues with a player

    Quote Originally Posted by Sniccups View Post
    I don't really have any problems with the first few, but seriously, "Quietstabber"?
    Actually it's pronounced "Qui-tstabbah" coming from a portmanteau of the ancient gnomish words Qui meaning energy and Tstabbah meaning a small pool left after a river floods. Common mistake

    Seriously though one of my old co-workers was named **** Assman (you may remember him from mid 90s Letterman). I have a very high tolerance for silly names.
    Firm opponent of the one true path

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    SoCal
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Character name issues with a player

    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerer View Post
    If this is the biggest problem your campaign has then it doesn't really have problems, especially compared to elvish characters having super long poetic sounding gibberish. If it really bothers you maybe put a stop to names based on food. Or eat before you make your characters.

    Also there is nothing wrong with 5 middle names in the established gnome society. In fact I think that number might be a little low.
    we have a winning reply here!

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    SoCal
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Character name issues with a player

    Quote Originally Posted by Sniccups View Post
    I don't really have any problems with the first few, but seriously, "Quietstabber"?
    That has to be better than GruntsWhenSheStabs.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grod_The_Giant's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Character name issues with a player

    Have a quiet word and tell her that the goofy names are kind of bothering you for such and such reasons, would she mind going with something that fits the tone a little better?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use
    Major Works

    I also write superhero trash, if you like to read.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Jay R's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Character name issues with a player

    Some people playing D&D are trying to evoke the mood of a fantasy world -- eerie, mysterious, and unearthly. Others like to make a constant string of modern cultural references as jokes.

    The brute fact is that if you have one of the second kind of players then you will never successfully set an unearthly and mysterious mood.

    And you will almost as inevitably never manage to convince that kind of player that such a mood has any value.

    It's not good news for you, but it's true.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Guizonde's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    toulouse
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Character name issues with a player

    i'm one of those people who name their characters weird names. it'll either be odd porte-manteaux of real names, or just oddball combos that end up becoming iconic.

    examples: father-captain-saint corbec girdersson (son of an architect and a stonemason), cleric of pelor.
    a girl named edward lucifer mcsubtle-mercedes (of the clans mcsubtle and mercedes). the last names belonged to ex-pc's. she was an electrician, to add a stealth pun in there.
    frankalice "doc" belknap. actually became a pretty masculine name by the end of that campaign.
    count eustache-henri-eugène marty de raymun, lt. (ret.), 38th mirepoix orbital drop infantry. everyone calls him "raymond the helljumper".
    inquisitor josyiah "josé" rosépine, son of captain rosépine. it was funny for the first 3 sessions that the "joke" character had a silly name. now, it's a byword for natural 20's.
    a halfling paladin called "brutehilde". it strikes fear into the hearts of novice dm's. that character is a trolling tool when i feel like being mean to a too-starchy dm.

    usually, if it's too over the top (like just a grunt or something unpronounceable outside of death metal vocals), the dm tells me to reign it back. my characters get nicknames by the third session if it's too long. plus, it's become fun to have tragic things happen to characters with silly names, it creates a very enjoyable mood whiplash.

    if a name like "quietstabber" bothers you, ask her to translate it to another language. "poignardeur-silencieux". ok, that one's a mouthful, but all of a sudden it's classier because it's in french. hell, "rosépine" above translates to "pink thorn".
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

    when in doubt,
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Batou1976's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Vengerberg
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Character name issues with a player

    Quote Originally Posted by Sniccups View Post
    So I have this one player who always comes up with the most ridiculous character names. She's a great player, but she just... well, here are some of her names.

    Tazooka Thalia ... (five middle names in total) Wagami (a gnome)
    Chocolate Orca Underwear or something similar (a tabaxi)
    Quietstabber Quiche Spaghettisauce (a wood elf, raised by gnomes)

    I let the first one through, because it's just a funny name and there isn't that much weird about it other than the fact of having five middle names. I also let her use the second one, because.. well, look at the tabaxi names in the 5e Volo's Guide. There are a lot of weird nouns & adjectives in them. The third one, however, just makes no sense. I told her that she had to have an actual first name, so she came up with "Awkward". This would make the character's name Awkward Quietstabber Quiche Spaghettisauce, which is even worse. What should I do?
    Have you given any thought to how NPCs would react to these names? Imagine, if you will, the reaction an IRL person would get if their name were "Chocolate Orca Underwear" or "Quistabbah Keesh Spukkitysoss"; if this were you, you'd surely get tired of being laughed out of every business establishment you tried to shop at (where giving your name was even needed) or constantly answering the ad nauseum stream of questions- "yes, that's really my name; yes, my parents did actually love me (I think)", etc etc.

    Now, extrapolate that to your fantasy world, where the everyday folk tend to be rather insular and intolerant of the different and the weird. The PC in question is going to get laughed at a lot, thrown out of audiences a lot or maybe even get tossed in the dungeon a lot, because what noble is going to believe that's actually her name, and will tolerate an uppity peasant having a go at them and refusing to give their "real", serious name?

    I'm all for players naming their PCs what they want... but the players' decisions have consequences, even especially the decision to give their PC a dumb@$$ name in a serious campaign.
    Mean People Suck

    The Lord of the Rings is not a trilogy, because words mean what they mean, and cannot be arbitrarily redefined just because you're lazy and/or careless. Or, put another way: Infer we shoe to gobble the blueberry jazz musician? Spleen! Water crackers pontificate when sebum roasts merrily for the lagoon.

    You can either roll a DIE (singular), or multiple DICE (plural).

    Association for Renaissance Martial Arts

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Honest Tiefling's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: Character name issues with a player

    Oddly enough, my real name is an unfortunate hyphenated name that has caused many people to question it's veracity. Nothing like explaining to a hospital guard that is, in fact, your real name. I changed my name with marriage. It was just ****ing easier to have a name no one knows how to spell instead.

    Have you tried to simply ask them WHY they're doing it? I worry they might have different expectations than you in regards to tone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2010

    Default Re: Character name issues with a player

    That's pretty terrible. Reminds me of a few awful names I've seen in the past.

    One guy, Ernest, just anagrammed his name. Think it was, what, Tenser or something stupid like that?

    Another guy just played a male elf, so apparently wrote "M Elf" at the top, and just turned that into a name.

    We must keep D&D pure of such ridiculousness!
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking)"

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Character name issues with a player

    One of my characters is playing "Giggles the Stone Giant." Go ahead, guess what race he is.

    If you guessed Elf, you are WRONG SIR! Seriously, whats the matter with you?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2017

    Default Re: Character name issues with a player

    Just talk to her. It could be that she doesn't understand the tone your going for. Or maybe she's a bit anxious about coming up with a character name? Some people do try to defuse that feeling with absurdism.

    Names are actually pretty tough to come up with, particularly if the DM hasn't really set clear expectations for what they consider acceptable. Just ask her why this is her go to naming scheme and work from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilAnagram View Post
    Yeah, I think the only way it makes sense is if you picture Yeenoghu spreading his taint over every gnoll.

    Go ahead and imagine that.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Personification's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    CLASSIFIED
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Character name issues with a player

    Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    One of my characters is playing "Giggles the Stone Giant." Go ahead, guess what race he is.

    If you guessed Elf, you are WRONG SIR! Seriously, whats the matter with you?
    Lightfoot Halfling?

    Also, I'm a new DM, but my party currently contains one Gurqyn Dylpyqleq (pronounced Gherkin Dillpickle). His battle cry is "WITH A Q!!!"
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job

    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too

    Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Jay R's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Character name issues with a player

    When I use joke names, I try to hide the fact, so that people's moods aren't broken.

    I once had two dwarf brothers, Doli and Felix, out to get revenge against the dragon who killed their five brothers. You had to think in more than one language to recognize that "Doli" and "Felix" were Grumpy and Happy.

    One of my elvish characters had a horse named Glorfain. Even if you knew enough Elvish to recognize "glor" as "golden" and "fain" as "cloud", you still weren't likely to recognize who the horse "Golden Cloud" was.

    I prefer to enjoy my jokes without messing up somebody else's mood.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    30.2672° N, 97.7431° W
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Character name issues with a player

    Hey! Sometimes is hard to come up with an original name that doesn't spell, and pronounce, like you just pulled random tiles out a a scrabble game.

    But if the names bother you, just start calling the character "Bob".

    Player: My character's name is Lady Geoffery Toadworth Splatflange Singensmithe the Fourtheenth!
    GM: Bob.
    Player: Lady Geoffery Toadworth Splatflange Singensmithe the Fourtheenth!
    GM: Yup, Bob!



    *note: She's probably doing it just to see how long she can get away with it.*
    Last edited by Mutazoia; 2018-01-10 at 03:02 AM.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

    - L. Long

    I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Randuir's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2017

    Default Re: Character name issues with a player

    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Oddly enough, my real name is an unfortunate hyphenated name that has caused many people to question it's veracity. Nothing like explaining to a hospital guard that is, in fact, your real name. I changed my name with marriage. It was just ****ing easier to have a name no one knows how to spell instead.
    I know this is none of my business, but you've made me incredibly curious.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2010

    Default Re: Character name issues with a player

    A guy I used to play with (it was a painful experience) has just heard of the Batman Wizard. He proceeded to name his character Batman, and use a batman LEGO minifig as his character mini. And then act like him.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    EvilClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2016

    Default Re: Character name issues with a player

    Let your players handle the nonsense on the table.

    Quietstabber Quiche Spaghetti for instance would immediately prompt just about anything I've ever rolled up to reply with: "Quiet Food" in response to literally anything said by that PC.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Guizonde's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    toulouse
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Character name issues with a player

    Quote Originally Posted by Mutazoia View Post
    Hey! Sometimes is hard to come up with an original name that doesn't spell, and pronounce, like you just pulled random tiles out a a scrabble game.

    But if the names bother you, just start calling the character "Bob".

    Player: My character's name is Lady Geoffery Toadworth Splatflange Singensmithe the Fourtheenth!
    GM: Bob.
    Player: Lady Geoffery Toadworth Splatflange Singensmithe the Fourtheenth!
    GM: Yup, Bob!



    *note: She's probably doing it just to see how long she can get away with it.*
    from my rogue trader game, found in the campaign quotes thread:

    Quote Originally Posted by Guizonde View Post
    rogue trader character creation:

    me: alright, i've got a name: eustache-henri-eugène marty de raimun, from the planet mirepoix. and that's without the eventual titles.
    gm: well, look at you! we'll call you raymond.
    now, the dm calls that character helljumper to boot due to his backstory and his tendency to jump into combat from above, but that's still how it went.

    @batou1976: my names have always had impacts on the game world. sometimes unexpectedly. the cleric called girdersson got in real good with a stonemason guild, until they figured out why he became a cleric and not a mason. then his reputation took a hit.

    edward was always mistaken for a boy. it became grating and just added to her mental instability. for josé, if he needs to blend in, he goes by his nickname. if he needs to show off, he goes by his title and last name. you get workarounds working quickly. just for the rogue trader character above, he introduces himself with his full overly-long name, but finishes by saying "lt. raymond, for short".

    frankly, a dm that doesn't take names or races into account for an npc's disposition is doing something wrong. it's no fun if every npc is helpful, just like the inverse isn't good either.
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

    when in doubt,
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground
     
    FabulousFizban's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: Character name issues with a player

    let it go. seriously, best thing to do here. Her character, her name. I had a player name her character poop once; just have npcs treat her weird name as if it was normal. Roll with it and move on, it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.
    May I borrow some bat guano?

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2017

    Default Re: Character name issues with a player

    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Oddly enough, my real name is an unfortunate hyphenated name that has caused many people to question it's veracity. Nothing like explaining to a hospital guard that is, in fact, your real name. I changed my name with marriage. It was just ****ing easier to have a name no one knows how to spell instead.
    I get why people often don't want to give up their family name or assume the last name of their spouse etc. But it can at times get ... difficult. I had a neighbor years ago whose last name was the hyphenated last names of both of her parents. When she had a child she gave the child her last name hyphenated with the father's last name. So yea, the kids name was something like Julia Canton-Smith-Morreau.

    I wonder if what the name of Julia's kids are now? And if she had kids with someone who already had a hyphenated last name...

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    GungHo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Character name issues with a player

    Clearly of the New Bedford Quietstabbers.


    Eh, let people have whatever crazy names they want. Make it part of a prophecy or the truename of a devil or something. Or, have crazy names be part of the setting and entertain the person. She wouldn't be doing that if she wasn't having fun.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: Character name issues with a player

    Quote Originally Posted by GungHo View Post
    Clearly of the New Bedford Quietstabbers.


    Eh, let people have whatever crazy names they want. Make it part of a prophecy or the truename of a devil or something. Or, have crazy names be part of the setting and entertain the person. She wouldn't be doing that if she wasn't having fun.
    Or it is entirely possible (particularly in this case) that they are simply bad at making names and resorting to stream of consciousness name generation. Believe me I've generated similar results when awkwardly fumbling around for a name. And sometimes you don't even realize some of the problems until you go to say the name. Oh Prydux, I absolutely loved your name right up until I had to say it out loud for the first time you were far too noble for people to quack every time you introduced yourself.

    Do they still have the lists of racial names in the core book in 5e?
    Firm opponent of the one true path

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    SoCal
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Character name issues with a player

    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Have a quiet word and tell her that the goofy names are kind of bothering you for such and such reasons, would she mind going with something that fits the tone a little better?
    Because you have the final say so on what is the right way to role play?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •