New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Post Looking for Artist

I have an idea for a webcomic.
    I can't art.
    For me and all those with this issue, use this thread to ask for help.
    Welcome to more wonderful tomfoolery, scandal, adventure, and murdering of horrible, horrible frogs!

Always take ranks in profession (dungeon inspector)

Amazing avatar by the magnificent Linkele

GNU Terry Pratchett

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll eat for a lifetime.
    Teach him to steal, and he won't have to eat fish for the rest of his life."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for Artist

I'll give actual general advice.

Idea is cheap.

There is no such thing as "the idea guy" in any business.

If you feel like you want to make a webcomic but can't draw and need an artist, you need to provide more than idea, and even more than story. Giving example of your story to prospective artist is the least of the least you can do. Other thing you can do: give example of your comic script (not just story. turn it into actual script). Even further, make a sample storyboard. You wouldn't believe how helpful a storyboard is for an artist. A simple storyboard can work wonder for the artist.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks for the advice.
    Welcome to more wonderful tomfoolery, scandal, adventure, and murdering of horrible, horrible frogs!

GNU Terry Pratchett

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    I'll give actual general advice.

Idea is cheap.

There is no such thing as "the idea guy" in any business.
    Well, there arguably is, but they either bring a lot more to the table or they get shafted.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

We have an arts and crafts subforum. If you pitch your idea there (anything you want to keep a secret for now you can share over PM with any interested parties, but not presenting any idea at all is not going to get a lot of people enthusiastic) and it's good enough you just might find someone to help you.

However, one of my main heroes when it comes to webcomics is Howard Taylor of Schlock Mercenary. He's gone on the record that when he decided he wanted to do a webcomic he should have just started learning how to draw, rather than milling around with ideas about hiring an artist. And when he finally did start the art looked pretty mediocre, but the comic succeeded due to good story, jokes and consistent updates. That's not to say the same model works for everyone, there are other succes stories that did start with a writer enlisting an artist, like Looking for Group. (Weird enough, because the art on that one is great while the writing has its ups and downs.) But that would be Howard's two cents. Drawing is looking, studying the structure of things, it doesn't have as much to do with a natural knack for holding a pen as we often assume.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2018-01-11 at 02:35 AM.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

My favourite example is One Punch Man. If you see the original webcomic, there's nothing you can say about it, The drawing is bad. But he does have a knack of storytelling, and also importantly, great storyboarding. Really. The drawing in the panels of the webcomics are bad, but the panelling, the layout of what's happening in each panel, the flow of action and dialogues between panels, etc, are great. So much that when it's redrawn by actual artist for the actual books later, I noticed that sometimes the artist only make small changes on the panelling or perspective and such, but he basically just redraw the stick figures into complex drawings.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks, everyone.

GNU Terry Pratchett

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Penny Arcade is a classic writer person + artist person webcomic. Jerry Holkins ("Tycho") writes it, Mike Krahulik ("Gabe") draws it. It's extremely successful and long-running, so it can be done.

And, of course, most dead-tree comics have a separate writer and artist. Neil Gaiman rose to fame with The Sandman, but he didn't draw any of the comics, only write them.

However, note that these were writers + artists, not just idea + artist. Presenting yourself as a writer looking for an artist to collaborate with will probably get you much further than just saying you have an idea. Ideas are cheap, good writing is a rare gift.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post
    Penny Arcade is a classic writer person + artist person webcomic. Jerry Holkins ("Tycho") writes it, Mike Krahulik ("Gabe") draws it. It's extremely successful and long-running, so it can be done.
    I don't think anyone said it *couldn't* be done? Although I believe Gabe and Tycho were friends before they started the comic--having a pre-existing relationship like that would help immensely.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I don't think anyone said it *couldn't* be done? Although I believe Gabe and Tycho were friends before they started the comic--having a pre-existing relationship like that would help immensely.
    I just named my son Tycho, and went to look up and see if one of the authors was really named that too (I've never read penny arcade). I'm sad that it's just a character in the comic.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

This is just an Idea...

But what if, everyweek you submitted a script to this thread, and than anyone who wants to can make artwork for it. Now, this won’t work for a webcomic, But I like to think it would be fun, and that makes it work.