New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Trying to remember a sidescrolling pixel graphic indie game about swordplay

It's not Nidhogg, by the way.

Anyway, I distinctly remember playing an indie game one time. I *think* it should be in steam, and I might've refunded it back then, not necessarily because it's not any good, but more that I need controller to play it well and I didn't have any back then. But strangely, it's not in my purchase history? Did I misremember it?

The game is rather obscure, it's not a famous indie game, that's for sure. That's the thing about steam's oversaturated marketplace. But basically, it's a very simple game about you moving left to right. You encounter enemies, and you engage them in swordplay. And that's where the gameplay try to be unique. The game's try to be very simple but hard, you have some limited actions you can do like parry in certain directions, attack in certain directions, etc, and you try to see what the enemy is doing and counter them. It's designed/marketed as a very hard game, where you'll die in very few hit.

The artstyle is simple pixel graphic, though obviously more detailed than nidhogg. It's set in some typical middle age setting stuff, and I remember early on you fight peasants who are armed with pokey sticks. The gameplay is rather slow and methodical, you move slowly, and there aren't any actual platforming or jumping or whatever, you just move left to right and fight the enemies.

Once again, I kinda remember playing this in Steam, but for some reason I can't find it in my history. Did the dev delete it for whatever reason?

Anyone know what game I'm talking about?
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Trying to remember a sidescrolling pixel graphic indie game about swordplay

It sounds familiar, but all the indie game searched I find come up with Nidhogg.

It couldn't be Gladiator or is that too old?

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: Trying to remember a sidescrolling pixel graphic indie game about swordplay

No, it's definitely modern indie game. It bothers me a lot on why I can't find it in my history. I did play it, I did!!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Rivalry maybe?

Edit: Have you tried checking in your Profile > All Recently Played > All Games? It may have been that it was a demo or a free to play game, which doesn't show up in your purchase history.
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2018-01-10 at 07:41 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

I've tried that, with no luck. This is honestly confusing. Did I misremember where I played the game? But I doubt it. Anyone know if a creator delete a game, it's gone from your history? (since I don't actually owned it, I bought it and refunded it). Also, it's not rivalry, since what I remember is pixel graphic and has actual medieval/middle age/knight and peasants setting.
    Last edited by Fri; 2018-01-10 at 10:21 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    I've tried that, with no luck. This is honestly confusing. Did I misremember where I played the game? But I doubt it. Anyone know if a creator delete a game, it's gone from your history? (since I don't actually owned it, I bought it and refunded it).
    Hmmm, I suggest checking accounts for other online gaming services like GOG.

Have you checked your associated email accounts? Typically when you do account transactions, some services send you a separate email confirmation.

The 'needing a controller' might be another avenue worth chasing up - do you remember if it was a 2.5D side scroller like Castle Crashers, or closer to something like Castlevania/Salt and Sanctuary, but without the jumping?

7. - Top - End - #7

I didn't think of checking my email. Great idea, I'll do that later

Edit:

aand, thank you for your help. I found it. It's apparently titled "A Bastard's Tale"

http://store.steampowered.com/app/37...Bastards_Tale/

I honestly don't know why it's not in my history. Really weird.
    Last edited by Fri; 2018-01-11 at 02:15 PM.

Spoiler
    Show