New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Taco Bell's "Belluminati" ad campaign

Taco Bell recently made a "Belluminati" marketing campaign to promote its dollar menu, with a series of ads (see youtube video), a website, social media stuff and so on. Anyway, just posting this to say that, looking at the youtube comments and #belluminati Twitter hashtag, the sheer number of people taking the "Illuminati" angle dead seriously (apparently most in both aforementioned media) is absolutely hilarious I mean, I know people love a conspiracy theory, but I'd never have guessed that so many people treat the Illuminati as such a serious subject.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Taco Bell's "Belluminati" ad campaign

I love the ads, but still don't eat at Taco Bell.

Arby's has run some great, geeky ads recently as well. I saw one last night where they rolled a d20 made from food cartons.
    Last edited by Leewei; 2018-01-10 at 10:08 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3

I love taco bell, but don't watch TV so never saw the commercials, which is too bad because they had some merch (now sold out). I would have loved to grab one of the t-shirts.

Just after reading this here, a friend on facebook pointed out the reaction of country music singer Charlie Daniels :

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news...BIaUdR?ocid=st

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post

Arby's has run some great, geeky ads recently as well. I saw one last night where they rolled a d20 made from food cartons.
    Whoever is running Arby's social media is warning their paycheck. They've made some pretty amazing stuff, and they putting more out there.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-01-10 at 10:25 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SirKazum View Post
    Taco Bell recently made a "Belluminati" marketing campaign to promote its dollar menu, with a series of ads (see youtube video), a website, social media stuff and so on. Anyway, just posting this to say that, looking at the youtube comments and #belluminati Twitter hashtag, the sheer number of people taking the "Illuminati" angle dead seriously (apparently most in both aforementioned media) is absolutely hilarious I mean, I know people love a conspiracy theory, but I'd never have guessed that so many people treat the Illuminati as such a serious subject.
    Nice try SirKazum, but I recognize Illuminati damage control when I see it. I’ve got eyes on you!

6. - Top - End - #6

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    Me neither - not only I live many thousands of kilometers away from the closest Taco Bell (AFAIK), it's hardly the sort of place I'd go to in the rare occasions that I visit the US. Nor do the ads run here either, of course - I heard about it from the Charlie Daniels tweet.

Neither my posts on the matter nor the Taco Bell campaign are in any way indicative of the fact that people are on to the Illuminati and we they are panicking and scrambling around for ways to use humor to direct people away from the truth... that would be absurd.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I'd heard the ads on the radio, but the change in tone/voice made me think it was shifting from a fast food ad to an ad for cologne or something fancy.

I think I'm going to try getting one of those things they're advertising tomorrow. I didn't really understand what all it is, but it sounded good. If the weather is nice, it might be a fun walk with the kids (and walking to it instead of driving would be good exercise to couple with that meal.)

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by SirKazum View Post
    Me neither - not only I live many thousands of kilometers away from the closest Taco Bell (AFAIK)
    Oh man, they just built a Taco Bell literally two minutes from my house. It's the greatest thing ever.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Holy moly, that comment section on Youtube is a thing to behold. And to think those people are allowed to vote...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Oh man, they just built a Taco Bell literally two minutes from my house. It's the greatest thing ever.
    Hey, that would put me in range of my home for the "aftermath"!

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    Holy moly, that comment section on Youtube is a thing to behold. And to think those people are allowed to vote...
    I regret looking.
    This, I can never unsee.
    Seriously, what?

The number of strongly religious comments in there is almost as disturbing as... well, people believing that (1) an intellectual's club from 1776 that was about thinking rationally and opposing obscurantism is somehow still around and is actually made of lizard people trying to deceive, eat, and/or control people, (2) not realizing the inherent irony in their fervent attempt to reveal the 'truth', and (3) believing that what amounts to epileptic trees formed from a collection of happenstance and youtube comments has more than a tangential relation to real life.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Personally, I think it's one of the stupidest ad campaigns I've ever seen. Not the absolute stupidest, but it's up (or down?) there.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

It's pretty dumb, but not nearly as dumb as the people who apparently take it as an admission that Taco Bell is actually controlled by the Illuminati.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Wow, I wish I hadn't gone to that youtube video. Little more faith in humanity has been lost. Absurd how many nutjobs are out there that believe crap like that.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

...What does it say about me that I looked at thd comments and just laughed?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    ...What does it say about me that I looked at thd comments and just laughed?
    Either that you have a mighty spirit incapable of being crushed... or that you were just utterly broken.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I weep for the state of Mexican/Tex-Mex in Alabama if a Taco Bell is the greatest thing ever.....
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    I weep for the state of Mexican/Tex-Mex in Alabama if a Taco Bell is the greatest thing ever.....
    There is plenty of delightful tex/mex in Alabama. Taco Bell, however, is dirt cheap, and two minutes from my house. QED.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    It's pretty dumb, but not nearly as dumb as the people who apparently take it as an admission that Taco Bell is actually controlled by the Illuminati.
    Having worked for Taco Bell, I'm pretty sure that several of their corporate policies are designed to prevent a global disaster. Can't you feel the fabric of reality weakening in the middle of the night when the local taco bells turn off their lights? Can't you feel the existential anguish when cheap re-hydrated beans and cheaper beef are no longer being combined within the folds of tortillas? How do you hope to survive the coming storm of darkness without the ever-so-slightly spicy after taste to drive off the vampires?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

The Illuminati are using Taco Bell to cater their parties? If they have fallen that far, how powerful can the Illuminati really be? :)

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Dilvish View Post
    The Illuminati are using Taco Bell to cater their parties? If they have fallen that far, how powerful can the Illuminati really be? :)
    They clearly know the value of 12 tacos for 10 dollars.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

They clearly know the value of 12 tacos for 10 dollars.
    Interestingly, someone handled me one of their... Stackers? a little bit ago. had a few extra so passed me one. Figured I'd see if Taco bell had improved any in the last several years.

Nope. Still incredibly bland meat, what appears to be fake cheese, and a hideous sauce. I've literally eaten raw insects I enjoyed more.

I know it is close to your home, but surely there has to be a better place that is worth traveling a bit further.... ?
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Taco Bell is heavily dependent on the location. If I went to the two nearest to my house, ordered the same thing, and placed them next to each other on a table; it is very likely that it would be almost impossible to tell they came from the same chain. Of course, neither would be very good, but one of them (always from the same location) would be far worse.

It is frustrating, because my city usually gets new menu items first - last I checked we were one of their test markets. That would be a lot cooler if their food was better.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    Interestingly, someone handled me one of their... Stackers? a little bit ago. had a few extra so passed me one. Figured I'd see if Taco bell had improved any in the last several years.

Nope. Still incredibly bland meat, what appears to be fake cheese, and a hideous sauce. I've literally eaten raw insects I enjoyed more.

I know it is close to your home, but surely there has to be a better place that is worth traveling a bit further.... ?
    Taste is subjective. There are plenty of better places, one literally next door (actually before the Taco Bell). But, it's passable, fast, and cheap. The tavern right by it is delightful, but it's also a sit-down restaurant and significantly more pricy.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Taste is subjective. There are plenty of better places, one literally next door (actually before the Taco Bell). But, it's passable, fast, and cheap. The tavern right by it is delightful, but it's also a sit-down restaurant and significantly more pricy.
    Yep, I love Taco Bell personally, it's the only fast-food restaurant that I eat at with regularity. I don't get fancy, just hard and soft taco's and Baja Blast Mt. Dew.

It's definitely down to the individual restaurant as well though, there are 4 in the nearest "big"* city, and only two of them are edible, and of those two, one of them is significantly better than the other still.

*By big city, I mean a city with a population over 2k. It's actual population is about 100k, and that includes all the surrounding rural areas, the city proper is only 30-35k or so I think.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    It's definitely down to the individual restaurant as well though, there are 4 in the nearest "big"* city, and only two of them are edible, and of those two, one of them is significantly better than the other still.
    Where I used to work there was a taco bell about a mile away and another about 3 miles away. My co-workers told me to go the the farther one, even though lunch break was short. Why? Because the one a mile away hired a lot of idiots to work the lunch shift so they were a) slow and b) probably not keeping up on their food safety checks. One co-worker claimed to have gotten food poisoning 2 of the 3 times he had eaten there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Yep, I love Taco Bell personally, it's the only fast-food restaurant that I eat at with regularity. .
    That's ironic. For most people, eating at Taco Bell causes irregularity.
    Jophine Dustwallow avatar by Shades of Gray

Spoiler: Other Avatar
    Show

Avatar: Tarina Davenledge, Cleric of Mishakal by Gorgon_Heap

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fishybugs View Post
    That's ironic. For most people, eating at Taco Bell causes irregularity.
    Only if you displeased the Illuminati, silly.

(I find it weird that spell check recognized Illuminati)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Only if you displeased the Illuminati, silly.

(I find it weird that spell check recognized Illuminati)
    The Doritos tacos were one of the Illuminati's successes.

You're in Enterprise? I lived in Dothan for 10 years, until 2013. I used to game in Enterprise.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Dilvish View Post
    The Doritos tacos were one of the Illuminati's successes.

You're in Enterprise? I lived in Dothan for 10 years, until 2013. I used to game in Enterprise.
    It makes me happy to see Alabama be so represented here. It's kinda cool.

As an aside, my wife lived in Enterprise for a while! She went to the high school before the tornado took it away, IIRC.