1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Total War: Three Kingdoms incoming

So this is the one that many have been hoping for, Total War setting in Three Kingdoms era, particularly The Romance of the Three Kingdoms story.
    For summary, this is where the Chinese Empire has been split into three sides: Wei led by Cao Cao, Wu led by Sun Quan, and Shu led by Shu Han. And depending on progress, probably minor states to be played if you want an Ensemble Darkhorse victory.
    So any inputs?
    Pony Minecraft Avatar by Dirtytabs
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms incoming

I really like that era, and I 've been waiting for a proper historical total war in ages. I just hope it's not just a reskinned warhammer with superhuman heroes tearing up armies by themselves.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    I really like that era, and I 've been waiting for a proper historical total war in ages. I just hope it's not just a reskinned warhammer with superhuman heroes tearing up armies by themselves.
    The trailer certainly doesn't help the chances...
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

4. - Top - End - #4

Three Kingdoms Era China is fascinating (as is the Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms), but I can do without Romance of the Dynasty Warriors. It's enough to let KOEI run that crap into the ground.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm excited to see huge armies such as I've seen in Hero, and I hope there aren't too many super heroes too, but I suspect we may see them.

Think of the expansions!

The Mongol invasion and the founding of the Yuan dynasty!

The Japanese invasion of Korea!

The possibilities are endless! OK, that's only two, but still.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

It's not proper 3 Kingdoms unless Cao Cao can mill grain by crushing it in his fist.
    If it's not obvious, insert a after my post.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe I shouldn't be at all bothered about people's speculation and predictions, because people will always speculate and predict about what excites them.

But let's just all sit back and realize all we've gotten so far is a cinematic trailer, and you probably won't have a cinematic trailer with Lu Bu in it without showing Lu Bu fighting some guys. That's kind of the meme Lu Bu has become, and it's kind of an important moment in the book (or so I've read).

We don't really know if your Lu Bus and Guan Yus are effectively going to murderously wade into entire armies like Grimgor Ironhide from Warhammer, or if they're going to be simply persistent and important leaders like Aurelian or Zenobia in Empire Divided, or if there's going to be an entirely new system altogether.
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Sinewmire View Post
    I'm excited to see huge armies such as I've seen in Hero, and I hope there aren't too many super heroes too, but I suspect we may see them.

Think of the expansions!

The Mongol invasion and the founding of the Yuan dynasty!

The Japanese invasion of Korea!

The possibilities are endless! OK, that's only two, but still.
    Why would you have an expansion to a game set in 189-280ce set well over 1,000 years later? The invasion of Korea would actually have been fairly fitting with Shogun 2, as it actually overlapped with the era that game covered. A far more fitting one would be the complete collapse of Jin that happened approximately...15 or 20 years after Wu's fall. Or the Dynasty Warriors route with a Yellow Turban scenario.

I'd be interested in this game, but I have a feeling based on the trailer that it is going to follow the folklore rather than the far more interesting actual history of the era.
    Happy Trixie Appreciation Day!

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Stormpony Avatar by Dirtytabs

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I doubt that it will be - Warhammer really emphasizes superhuman heroes, at a level even fictional representations of the era rarely do.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    Or the Dynasty Warriors route with a Yellow Turban scenario.
    From the PR material, the game is starting in 190 CE, so you'll have a bit of the second Yellow Turban rebellion to fight, followed by dealing with Dong Zhuo before starting into the Three Kingdoms era proper (Cao Cao still has to deal with Yuan Shao, Liu Bei still has to find a base of operations in King Province), so there may be a bit of leeway in how the period develops.

Personally, I'd prefer The Warring States as it's little more obscure to Westerners, but still well known enough to be heard of.

While I don't have much hope for the game being other than a Dynasty Warriors rehash (please let me be wrong), I have to give credit to Creative Assembly for the quality of their research - the female vocal in the background is a Han era anti-war song/poem:

Spoiler: At fifteen I joined the army on expedition
    Show

十五从军征,
    八十始得归。
    At fifteen I joined the army on expedition,
    Only at eighty did I finally return.
    道逢乡里人:
    家中有阿谁?
    On the way I met a villager:
    "Who is left in my home?"
    遥看是君家,
    松柏冢累累。
    "See there in the distance is your home,
    Among the pine, cypress, and graves piled high."
    兔从狗窦入,
    雉从梁上飞。
    Rabbits enter through the dog hole,
    Pheasants fly from the rafters.
    中庭生旅谷,
    井上生旅葵。
    In the parlour grows wild grain,
    Upon the well grows wild vegetables.
    舂谷持作饭,
    采葵持作羹。
    I grind the grain for a meal,
    I pick the vegetables for the broth.
    羹饭一时熟,
    不知贻阿谁。
    Meal and broth are ready in an instant,
    But I know not whom to serve.
    出门东向看,
    泪落沾我衣。
    As I step out and look east,
    Falling tears soak my clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    I doubt that it will be - Warhammer really emphasizes superhuman heroes, at a level even fictional representations of the era rarely do.
    In Romance, at the Battle of Changbang, Zhang Fei holds a bridge by himself against the entire Wei army, even managing to scare two enemy officers to death with an Epic level Intimidate check.

I'm sure Romance level fictionalisation would fit right in with Warhammer.
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2018-01-12 at 09:34 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    In Romance, at the Battle of Changbang, Zhang Fei holds a bridge by himself against the entire Wei army, even managing to scare two enemy officers to death with an Epic level Intimidate check.

There was also Cao Cao's chief bodyguard (can't recall his name) who could throw volleys of javelins every one scoring a kill.During the first yellow turban rebellion when defending in a siege and they had ran out of remotely dangerous stuff to throw, he had his troops find every little loose peeble they could and used them to make headshots. Eventually died when they got him super drunk to steal his weapons and even unarmed he was genociding anybody that got close to the point they had to finish him from a safe distance with hundreds of archers. And even then he was standing, which scared the enemy army enough time to get Cao Cao a nice running headstart.

So yeah, they better have some superhuman generals.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2018-01-12 at 11:46 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post

I've read Romance, and I stand by my statement. It features ludicrous badasses, yes. It also heavily emphasizes the generals one the armies start getting bigger, has several of the characters more notable for individual combat ability than anything else get cut down by just a lot of normal troops, and even has Cao Cao die to an incidental poisoned arrow and his own paranoia.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    I've read Romance, and I stand by my statement. It features ludicrous badasses, yes. It also heavily emphasizes the generals one the armies start getting bigger, has several of the characters more notable for individual combat ability than anything else get cut down by just a lot of normal troops, and even has Cao Cao die to an incidental poisoned arrow and his own paranoia.
    Sun Ce was the one dying to poison arrow and paranoia. Cao Cao managed to die of old age (and probably brain cancer).

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

This is just a cinematic trailer. I'm confident that it won't be a fantasy title; but if it is I will just pass on it like I did with Warhammer. Even though I'll be disappointed, because I was really excited for China, I'm sure Thrones of Britannia will keep me plenty busy.

Currently running a WW1 Squadron Management Sim

Morituri te Salutant - Gladiator Management Game
    Manager of The Raven's Call: 5-1

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    There was also Cao Cao's chief bodyguard (can't recall his name) who could throw volleys of javelins every one scoring a kill.During the first yellow turban rebellion when defending in a siege and they had ran out of remotely dangerous stuff to throw, he had his troops find every little loose peeble they could and used them to make headshots. Eventually died when they got him super drunk to steal his weapons and even unarmed he was genociding anybody that got close to the point they had to finish him from a safe distance with hundreds of archers. And even then he was standing, which scared the enemy army enough time to get Cao Cao a nice running headstart.
    You're thinking of Dian Wei, who was renown for dual wielding halberds that weighed 40 jin each (~8.8kg using Eastern Han measurements). According to the legend of his death, even after they'd shot him full of arrows, it took half an hour before anybody was brave enough to approach the corpse to check he was dead.