New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Pathfinder: Wheelchair? PEACH

Ok so I'm about to do a campaign where I play a lame merfolk... TL;DR: Base Land Speed: 0
    So I figured I'd try and 'brew a wheelchair like thing and see how it goes.

The Wheelchair (75 GP)
    This wooden chair has four wheels hastily attached to it, in an ineffective, but usable form of movement

The Wheelchair is a small wooden chair with 5 hardness and 15 hit points. Using The Wheelchair renders the creature flat-footed to all attacks. You can move normally in the wheelchair at a speed of 15ft. Attempting to move through difficult terrain, however, incurs normal penalties and forces the rider to make a DC 10 strength check. Failure means that the rider loses her move action and doesn't move.

Other variations of the wheelchair exist: Masterwork and Improvised

Masterwork: Costs 250 more GP (325 total), can move 20 ft in a round, and requires a DC 8 check instead of a DC 10
    Improvised: Costs 50 GP less (25 total), can move 10 ft in a round, and requires a DC 12 check instead of a DC 10

Thoughts? Suggestions? I tried not to nerf sitting down too hard.
    Spoiler: Note
    Show
    It's a strength check to move it, not a skill check, so aside from strength bonuses, it is equally hard to move at level 1 than it is level 5 (though at level 5+ you might be able to cast fly, and not need a wheelchair)
    Last edited by Goaty14; 2018-01-12 at 01:40 AM.
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Pathfinder: Wheelchair? PEACH

Quote Originally Posted by Goaty14 View Post
    Ok so I'm about to do a campaign where I play a lame merfolk... TL;DR: Base Land Speed: 0
    So I figured I'd try and 'brew a wheelchair like thing and see how it goes.

The Wheelchair
    This wooden chair has four wheels hastily attached to it, in an ineffective, but usable form of movement
    It's always built like crap, or are you just trying not to over-ask on the first one?

The Wheelchair is a small wooden chair with 5 hardness and 15 hit points. Using The Wheelchair renders the creature flat-footed to all attacks. Moving The Wheelchair requires a DC 10 strength check to move 15 feet forward, and all applicable penalties for rough terrain. If the wheelchair is broken, then it requires a DC 12 strength check to move in place of the original 10.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I tried not to nerf sitting down too hard.
    Allow for the quality of the chair to change the move DC by two up or down. Also, allow taking 10 on the check when on a smooth, level surface.
    -- Joe
    “Shared pain is diminished. Shared joy is increased.”
    -- Spider Roninson
    And shared laughter is magical

Always remember that anything posted on the internet is, in a practical if not a legal sense, in the public domain.
    You are completely welcome to use anything I post here, or I wouldn't post it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Normal merfolk have a land speed of 5 feet - or do you mean your tail is also somehow broken? I'd still rule that by spending a full-round action you could drag yourself 5 feet with your arms.

Is this a flaw you're taking in exchange for an extra feat? Your DM might frown upon you circumventing it so easily, in which case I'd price it anywhere up to 100 gp, in keeping with pre-existing wheeled items, or even more on the basis that it's a specialty item.

Have you considered just using a mount? Some of them are quite cheap, though of course you have to invest in Ride and would need an exotic saddle (albeit one tailored to you rather than the mount).

You might need to rule on how to use the wheelchair if you're wielding weapons/items in one or both hands.

Anyhow, a cool character concept! Made me think of Munch :D

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I'd say the flat-footed part is penalty enough, particularly combined with the ability for your foes to sunder your wheelchair or tip you out. I'd say 15ft, and a DC 10 Strength check needed only on rough terrain.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jqavins View Post
    It's always built like crap, or are you just trying not to over-ask on the first one?

Allow for the quality of the chair to change the move DC by two up or down. Also, allow taking 10 on the check when on a smooth, level surface.
    Trying not to over-ask a (what I'd like to be) a 1st level item. I'll add the take 10 thing, but I'll also remind that you can't take 10 in combat without a special ability.

Quote Originally Posted by rferries View Post
    Normal merfolk have a land speed of 5 feet - or do you mean your tail is also somehow broken? I'd still rule that by spending a full-round action you could drag yourself 5 feet with your arms.
    I should've explained: Merfolk Oracle with lame curse. Dragging yourself through a dungeon also doesn't have as much style.

Have you considered just using a mount? Some of them are quite cheap, though of course you have to invest in Ride and would need an exotic saddle (albeit one tailored to you rather than the mount).
    Riding is cool, except explaining to a DM how you can ride a horse without using legs like explaining how you can drive a car without feet. Large size is also a concern, and trotting an animal just isn't so acceptable in some places, such as if you went to some noble's place.

You might need to rule on how to use the wheelchair if you're wielding weapons/items in one or both hands.
    You don't. You take a move action when you move, and you attack when you attack. Any time that you attack and move, you unsheath as part of a move action.

Anyhow, a cool character concept! Made me think of Munch :D
    No Idea!
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Goaty14 View Post
    I should've explained: Merfolk Oracle with lame curse. Dragging yourself through a dungeon also doesn't have as much style.
    Ha good point!

Riding is cool, except explaining to a DM how you can ride a horse without using legs like explaining how you can drive a car without feet. Large size is also a concern, and trotting an animal just isn't so acceptable in some places, such as if you went to some noble's place.
    Well you could pay for (or train yourself) a special mount that responded only to hand gestures/verbal commands, and get the party barbarian to carry you to diplomatic functions, though I get that it's not really the concept you're aiming for haha.

You don't. You take a move action when you move, and you attack when you attack. Any time that you attack and move, you unsheath as part of a move action.
    Yes I mean, once you've unsheathed and slain an enemy, do you have to sheathe/drop your weapons before using your hands to wheel on to the next opponent? Or lay them in your lap, or have special holders in the chair sides.

I should say I'm overthinking this, your current wheelchair is probably fine from a mechanics viewpoint. If you could get a masterwork one at some point it might be nice to get one with a faster speed (or even an animated one so you can zoom around on a psuedo-scooter :D).
    Last edited by rferries; 2018-01-12 at 12:09 AM.