New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: The (Titan) Tag

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateWench

Default The (Titan) Tag

Do we have any idea what the (Titan) tag means in D&D 5e? Specifically, I'm talking about how the Kraken is a "Gargantuan monstrosity (titan)", the Tarrasque is a "Gargantuan monstrosity (titan)", Empyreans are "Gargantuan celestial (titan)"s, and the Atropal from Tomb of Annihilation is a "huge undead (titan)". The tag is used in the same way that a drow is a "humanoid (elf)" or a balor is a "fiend (demon)", implying that "titan" indicates something that these creatures have in common.

When I first read the monster manual, I thought that the (Titan) tag probably just meant something of prodigiously large size, as the Kraken, Tarrasque, and Empyrean are among the largest of the monsters therein. The Atropal sort of ruins that theory, though - it's only Huge, not Gargantuan, let alone so Gargantuan that it would require a tag to denote its size.

My other theory would be that "Titan" indicates the creature is deific in origin - Krakens were said to be created by the gods, Empyreans are children of gods, and the Atropal is said to be the stillborn fetus of a god. However, there are a couple flaws with this, as well: namely, there's no real connection between the Tarrasque and the gods, and Tiamat herself was just a fiend (not a fiend (Titan)) when she appeared in the Tyranny of Dragons storyline.

Last note, from what I'm aware of, Titan referred to a specific group of creatures in previous editions, but these creatures were renamed Empyreans in 5e. Empyreans, of course, have the (Titan) tag now, so that makes sense. But as far as I'm aware, krakens and the tarrasque and atropals had nothing to do with titans in previous editions.

Was this tag explained or enumerated somewhere and I'm just missing it? Does it mean something? What are your theories on what connects these 4 monsters (or are there other (titan)-tagged monsters beyond these 4 that I'm missing?)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: The (Titan) Tag

I just assumed that it meant the creature is of the Colossal size category, but larger than other Colossal size creatures. So, the Tarrasque would tower over a Colossal dragon, for example. But, again, that's just my assumption.
    "I'd like to cast Feather Fall for when my team lets me down."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know if there's anything mechanical... I can't see anything in the books.

For me, titans are just, the biggest, toughest, most ancient monsters. I assume they're all technically immortal? Also, aren't the 'gods' in the giants' pantheon titans?
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2018-01-11 at 05:02 PM.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gloryblaze View Post
    Do we have any idea what the (Titan) tag means in D&D 5e? Specifically, I'm talking about how the Kraken is a "Gargantuan monstrosity (titan)", the Tarrasque is a "Gargantuan monstrosity (titan)", Empyreans are "Gargantuan celestial (titan)"s, and the Atropal from Tomb of Annihilation is a "huge undead (titan)". The tag is used in the same way that a drow is a "humanoid (elf)" or a balor is a "fiend (demon)", implying that "titan" indicates something that these creatures have in common.

When I first read the monster manual, I thought that the (Titan) tag probably just meant something of prodigiously large size, as the Kraken, Tarrasque, and Empyrean are among the largest of the monsters therein. The Atropal sort of ruins that theory, though - it's only Huge, not Gargantuan, let alone so Gargantuan that it would require a tag to denote its size.

My other theory would be that "Titan" indicates the creature is deific in origin - Krakens were said to be created by the gods, Empyreans are children of gods, and the Atropal is said to be the stillborn fetus of a god. However, there are a couple flaws with this, as well: namely, there's no real connection between the Tarrasque and the gods, and Tiamat herself was just a fiend (not a fiend (Titan)) when she appeared in the Tyranny of Dragons storyline.

Last note, from what I'm aware of, Titan referred to a specific group of creatures in previous editions, but these creatures were renamed Empyreans in 5e. Empyreans, of course, have the (Titan) tag now, so that makes sense. But as far as I'm aware, krakens and the tarrasque and atropals had nothing to do with titans in previous editions.

Was this tag explained or enumerated somewhere and I'm just missing it? Does it mean something? What are your theories on what connects these 4 monsters (or are there other (titan)-tagged monsters beyond these 4 that I'm missing?)
    I think you're unfairly writing off Big T. At least in earlier editions Big T was said to be the result of a God punishing a particular kingdom. The fluff's changed since Advanced...but not by that much I imagine. I don't have the 5th Ed MM but I can't imagine it's changed that much more. Here's a direct quote from the 2nd Ed MM, printed in 1993.

It is hoped that the tarrasque is a solitary creation, some hideous abomination unleashed by the dark arts or by elder, forgotten gods to punish all of nature. The elemental nature of the tarrasque leads the few living tarrasque experts to speculate that the elemental princes of evil have something to do with its existence. In any case, the location of the tarrasque remains a mystery, as it rarely leaves witnesses in its wake, and nature quickly grows over all remnants of its presence. It is rumored that the tarrasque is responsible for the extinction of one ancient civilization, for the records of their last days spoke of a 'great reptilian punisher sent by the gods to end the world'.
    Bolded for emphasis.

Not only that but the Tarrasque is based off the, with a single letter difference to it's name, French legend of the Tarasque which...well...very heavily links with Christianity and the mythology there-in. Going into it further would violate the forum rules but needless to say...if the "connected to the Gods/God" angle is a fit for the rest...it's very much a fit for Big T.