Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: I'm bored and I need a game, hot single in demand players available

Quote Originally Posted by LairdMaon View Post
    Hey, Xenopax, shouldn't you have +3 BAB? The sheet you've linked shows a +1...
    Yes. Yes I should. Just fixed it. Also I just found out that I can recharge my wands! (Kinda)
    Omnissiah grant me the strength to change what I can,
    the patience to accept what I cannot,
    and PLASMA CANNONS FOR HANDS. Amen.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Yay! Good stuff there, Xeno, good stuff!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Yay! Good stuff there, Xeno, good stuff!
    Why thank You! Do you want any items or do you have any recommendations for something I should craft? I have 400 left and no clue what to do with it.
    Omnissiah grant me the strength to change what I can,
    the patience to accept what I cannot,
    and PLASMA CANNONS FOR HANDS. Amen.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hmm... I'll think on that. I've got 375g left, myself. I want to keep some gold handy for room and board. Also good for last minute necessities.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

Sorry for the delay in posting - had a bit of a rough day yesterday. I had a class scheduled that I didn't know about (I teach a high school debate class, and they switched the schedule on me), on top of which I managed to back into another vehicle in a Wal-Mart parking lot (or they backed into me, or we backed into each other - still not sure exactly what happened). Working on getting everything reviewed now.
    One of my players: "I hate you. I spent like...3 hours pouring over lists of items for bards. Reading, learning, analyzing, trying to improve my knowledge of the game, as I have a major decision coming up. You know what I decided after all of this? Vest of Resistance +3. Simply because you are that evil. No Cloak of Charisma, no Bardic Music enhancers. NOPE. VEST OF RESISTANCE."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

@ LairdMoon: Perhaps this is the part of incarnum with which I'm not familiar, but how to you have a +15 to attack? I can get somewhere between 11 and 13, but not 15. Just wondering.

@ Snowbluff: You still need to pick skills, and it looks like your equipment weight is really funky.
    One of my players: "I hate you. I spent like...3 hours pouring over lists of items for bards. Reading, learning, analyzing, trying to improve my knowledge of the game, as I have a major decision coming up. You know what I decided after all of this? Vest of Resistance +3. Simply because you are that evil. No Cloak of Charisma, no Bardic Music enhancers. NOPE. VEST OF RESISTANCE."

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

BAB 5
    Small Size 1
    Dex (Finesse) 5
    Soul Weapon Focus 1
    Soul Weapon Soulmeld Capacity 2 (gives it a magical +2)
    Total 14

Looks like I made an error which has now been corrected.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

I should specify that the total I listed there assumes I have allocated two points of Essentia into the Soul Weapon Soulmeld.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

Which would be why I was only coming up with 11-12. Everything else looks good for you. Just waiting on Snow to finish, then we can get started.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Any word on setting fluff? So we can write up backgrounds?

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler: Griashnak
    Show

Went with point buy for 12/12/10/10/12/18

Spoiler: Picture
    Show

The thought is he is a relic from a previous war that has long since ended. He just never was retrieved to move on to another, so has taken to using his skills at building to create various works to pass the time, including a great number of bridges and mills around the area.

Primarily planning on using Buer as it will allow him to act as the token healer from the group. Plus, his greatclub/tetsubo could be nicknamed lockpick if required.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WesleyVos View Post
    @ Snowbluff: You still need to pick skills, and it looks like your equipment weight is really funky.
    Picked Skills now. My weight was used to track my GP expenditures. Went with Wings Aspect because the vision is nice but I already have darkvision. Doing final purchases now.

The real thing to finish is getting my Advanced Learning. I need to pick a necromancy. Where do you stand on Ray of Enfeeblement doing precision damage? It's not technically Ability Damage, but it's also specifically mentioned as an example.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to cry in a corner because my Rebuke Attempts aren't fueling any feats. Also, did we get the fluffs?
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2018-01-16 at 07:58 PM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

Fluffs are coming tomorrow. Yesterday was supposed to be my day off, which i didn’t get, so I have to finish writing it up tonight and tomorrow.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

I also need the draconic word for roaring or screaming. What kind of language doesn't have that? :p
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

I also need the draconic word for roaring or screaming. What kind of language doesn't have that? :p
    If we're using my setting, I typically use real-world languages to represent in-game languages. Draconic is called Kaṭhiṇa, and it is represented by Kannada. The word for "shout" would be "Huyiliḍu", written as "ಹುಯಿಲಿಡು." "Roar" would be "Gharjane" (ಘರ್ಜನೆ), and "Scream" is "Cīru" (ಚೀರು).

I have a ton of setting information typed up, but for the purposes of this game I'll limit it to the necessities (unless you want the whole info-dump). Most of the work I'm doing is distilling it down to the basics.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

If it's faster and/or easier for you, I'll happily enthrall myself in your undistilled content...

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WesleyVos View Post
    If we're using my setting, I typically use real-world languages to represent in-game languages. Draconic is called Kaṭhiṇa, and it is represented by Kannada. The word for "shout" would be "Huyiliḍu", written as "ಹುಯಿಲಿಡು." "Roar" would be "Gharjane" (ಘರ್ಜನೆ), and "Scream" is "Cīru" (ಚೀರು).

I have a ton of setting information typed up, but for the purposes of this game I'll limit it to the necessities (unless you want the whole info-dump). Most of the work I'm doing is distilling it down to the basics.
    How about rumbling and claw? :0
    If it's faster and/or easier for you, I'll happily enthrall myself in your undistilled content...
    Sounds like a plan for now...

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

Alright, you asked for it...

Actually, this is a rather distilled version. If you want more information about a particular area, or if you feel there needs to be more explanation of a particular setting, feel free to ask. This campaign will take place south of Justland, in the unclaimed land between Avenguard, Justland, Padure, and Zharahd.

EDIT: The map is really tiny now - not sure why. I'll get a better version uploaded sometime tonight or tomorrow.

EDIT 2: Maps are fixed.

Spoiler: On Magic
    Show

All magic is accessed by drawing on warrens (for mechanical purposes, other planes of existence). Warrens are also where deities reside (hence clerical magic also draws on warrens). Some people (spontaneous casters) have a natural-born ability to access these warrens, while others (non-spontaneous casters) must study to figure out how it works. Crossing that line is impossible - you can either be spontaneous or prepared, not both. In addition, since clerical and arcane magics are different means of accessing the same source, you cannot do both.

Each major city would have an arcane college. Most budding wizards would train there for a year or more, then be assigned a master for the next few years, who then approves, after a trial of sorts, a wizard's acceptance as a full wizard. Any mages who defy this convention are considered outsiders and are generally mistrusted among other mages. The general thought is that magic is too unpredictable to be wielded without training.

Spoiler: On the Gods
    Show

There are two types of deities, Elders and Ascendants. Elders existed at the creation of the world and have never been mortal. They are less subject to the whims of their worshippers, but they are also less likely to act directly in the world unless opposing Elders are involved. They generally let mortals and Ascendants fight their own battles, aside from granting their followers powers and spells if needed. The last time Elders got involved in the world was six hundred years ago, with the re-establishment of the Avenguard Empire. Ahasuerus, the god of light, and his wife Meghwyn, goddess of Paladins and protectors, were instrumental in that quest.

The story of the Elder gods really revolves around the triangle of Ahasuerus, his ex-wife Jezuba'al, and his current wife, Meghwyn. When the world was created by the overgod, Eloishai, Ahasuerus was given a sort of loose dominion over the other deities. Each elder was to use their essence to fill the world. Ahasuerus, god of light, and Jezuba'al, goddess of darkness, were instrumental in that creation. And then Ahasuerus created the sun elves, creatures with no darkness in them. Long story short, Jezuba'al became jealous, then angry. Eventually, she left Ahasuerus and created her own races, along with those gods who sided with her. Devils and other such evil creatures filled the earth. Ahasuerus, saddened and depressed by his wife's departure, withdrew from the world, and his creations began to be overrun. Into the void stepped Meghwyn, protecting - as was her nature to do - the one she had loved from afar for years. She established an order of Paladins and Crusaders, champions among the mortals, to resist Jezuba'al's taint. From that time, a war of sorts has existed between the Elders, sometimes drawing in Ascendants and even mortals. For the only way to bind an Elder is to draw them into the mortal plane and capture them.

After the creation of these races, certain individual specimens of each race became increasingly more powerful than others of their kind. These individuals, at some point - though no one knows quite when - attained such power that they stopped aging. Disease and other mundane concerns no longer held any danger for them, though on the mortal plane they could still be killed. Some of these Ascendants (for that is what they were called) saw voids in the pantheon of the Elders and assumed - how is not known - control of various aspects of the world, from ideas and ideals even to attempting to usurp the place of the Elders. These Ascendants gathered worshipers and so became gods themselves. The Ascendants, as mortals once themselves, take an active interest in the world and the plight of their fellows; however, much of their activity is of the nature of children playing with toy soldiers. In addition, the Ascendants have their own politics, and when mortals are noticed by these Ascendants, they tend to become pawns in those politics and schemes. Most mortals, having recognized this tendency over the years, now seek nothing more than to avoid notice by the gods. Priests and divine casters seem to be the exception to this rule, for to them the path to salvation (or, possibly, ascendency) lies through service to a god.

As a note, there is also an over-Deity, responsible for creation of the world, the Elder gods, and the universe generally. However, most knowledge of this God has been lost to time. Some still seek to recover such knowledge, and others believe that His sacred writings still exist. Most inhabitants of the mortal planes, though, have no knowledge of or regard for this God.

The list of deities can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...0E&pli=1#gid=0

Spoiler: On the Nations
    Show

Spoiler: Continent Map
    Show

Spoiler: Avenguard Empire
    Show
    The Avenguard Empire is a hodgepodge of cultures, as it has grown steadily over time and absorbed a number of smaller nations into its boundaries. It is best discussed by dividing it into four parts - the central region, south-western Avenguard, northern Avenguard, and south-eastern Avenguard. There are some general similarities throughout the Empire, though.

The land is divided into duchies and baronetcies, each ruled by a noble with the advice and consent of a council elected directly by the people as their representatives. The only exception is Avenguard City, which is ruled directly by the Emperor and his Small Council with the advice and consent of a People's Council. The duchies are further consolidated into provinces, governed by a council of the provinces' dukes. Each province elects one representative to sit on the Duchy Council in Avenguard City, a Council that is charged with advising the Emperor, currently Thomas III the Bold.

Spoiler: Central Avenguard
    Show
    Central Avenguard is comprised of the central plains around the Avenguard River, extending south along the edge of the western mountains and over towards the south-eastern hills. It is the original Empire, conquered by Robert I the Great, the first Emperor. This region began as pastureland, with small villages as its largest civilization. Robert I pulled together a confederation of allies and brought most of this region under his sway nearly four hundred years past. It has remained the firm core of the Empire ever since.

The central regions are culturally similar to medieval England. Much of the land is still used for pasture, though a good deal has been converted into farmland. The populace here is fiercely loyal to Ahasuerus and Meghwyn as their patron deities, though any who worship those deities' allies are welcome as well. The roads are broad and well-patrolled by the Imperial Guard, the small standing army kept by the Emperor for his personal use.

Racially, the population of the central regions are mainly human. Elves and dwarfs make up large minorities, as do halflings. Most other races can be found as well, in smaller communities or integrated into larger ones. Orcs and goblinoids have experienced some persecution, suffering for the depravations of their cousins in Raashnaakh, but overall the central regions bear little prejudices towards other races and species. Undead, however, are hunted furiously, with the paladins and warriors of Ahasuerus and Meghwyn running down such abominations wherever they can be found.

Spoiler: Southwest Avenguard
    Show
    Formerly an alliance of four great cities - the seaports of Toulouse and Lumičre and the smaller river cities of Bijou and Soiebleue - the southwestern region of Avenguard has integrated itself well into the Empire. The four cities still hold prominence, though Toulouse and Lumičre have grown while the other two have stagnated - the river trade is no longer as important as it was before their annexation into the Empire.

This region was added by William I the Just, and it was the only part of Avenguard annexed by diplomacy rather than conquest. Originally, the city-states were to retain some autonomy, but after more than three-hundred years, the region is folded neatly into the Empire. There is rumored to be a political faction that desires southern independence, but it has yet to take real root.

Near the coast, daily life revolves around the sea, particularly in the port cities. Inland, there are a good number of farms; the fertile land near the two major rivers provides excellent ground for growing crops. Characters from this portion of the Empire are far more laisse-faire than most humans. They have a generally optimistic outlook, having been free from war since long before the Empire annexed them. In the nobility, there is a heavy emphasis placed on honor, and duels of honor are common. A coward is treated as though he/she died.

Racially, the area is majority human, with a large minority of southern elves. Near the coasts and rivers, there are large minorities of naturally acquatic or seafaring races as well. Despite the small dwarf communities to the northern parts of the region, dwarves are somewhat distrusted – they have no love of the sea. Orcs and goblinoids have come into disfavor.

Languages spoken: Anyone from south-western Avenguard knows both Avenguardian and Toulousian. There is a high likelihood they would also have picked up Prahan and perhaps some Kuseman from the barbarian tribes to the south.

Spoiler: Northern Avenguard
    Show
    The regions north of the Avenguard River were once home to a number of roving barbarian tribes. Settlers from central Avenguard began moving north, and the resulting conflict forced the Emperor, Robert II, to drive the barbarians across the northern mountains and into the northern wastes. At one point, this territory extended all the way to the Northern Mountains themselves, but in the last two centuries the Empire has withdrawn to the Westland Mountains, leaving a vast stretch of what was once Avenguard open to the barbarian tribes again.

Culturally, northern Avenguard is similar to medieval Germany. It is far colder than the rest of the Empire, and it takes a hardier breed of people to survive. Characters from northern Avenguard tend to be stubborn, and many of them have some barbarian blood in their veins. Northern Avenguard has some farms and pastures, but the real production are the mines in the Westland Mountains. Some have said that steel from the north - particularly from the city of Vestcharton - is the best that can be forged outside the dwarven forges of Zharahd.

Languages Spoken: Any character from northern Avenguard knows Avenguardian, and most have picked up a good bit of Vestchartan as well. Characters should be able to understand at least smatterings of Sproggan from the northern barbarians. Characters from the eastern parts of this region might know some smatterings of Celerian, from the elven kingdoms, and most of those who work in the mines would know some Zharahdian terms. Any who live in the western regions might know some Grēṭa Jami, from the Western Isles.

Spoiler: Southeast Avenguard
    Show
    Southeastern Avenguard is the most recently conquered of the Empire's regions, having only come under Imperial control in the last century. It retains much of its culture and history. Prior to Imperial conquest, the lands were ruled by a king in the great city of Praha, which some have rightly called the most beautiful city in the world. Situated around the conjoining of two rivers at a series of mighty waterfalls, the city often appears as though it is sitting on a cloud of mist.

Culturally, southeastern Avenguard is a mixture of medieval Czech and Slavic cultures. Characters from this area generally have some experience with horses, as much of the land is flat and suitable for riding. Characters from this area are also often proud, both of their heritage and their region's beauty. This region is the only part of the Empire with an active political element calling for secession from the Empire and the re-establishment of the Kingdom of Praha.

Languages Spoken: All inhabitants of southeastern Avenguard speak Prahan, and most speak Avenguardian as well. Many will know Păduran, Zharahdian, Bharsarhcakarr, and Toulousan as well.

Spoiler: The Northern Wastes
    Show
    The Northern Wastes, once nominally controlled by the Avenguard Empire, is a snow-and-ice covered land for most of the year. Lying between the Vestcharton Mountains and the much taller Northern Mountains, the area is heavily wooded in evergreen trees, which only add to the wild feel of the region. The Hvitt Vatn and Nordur Rivers flow through the entire region, though both are often frozen over. Even during the summer months, great chunks of ice flow downstream, making navigating the rivers perilous. To the southeast, the great woods of Celerion mark the boundary, while the cold waters of the Western Ocean border the region to the west. Between the Celerion forest and the Northern Mountains, where the Nordur has its headwaters, has never been under civilized control; it is home to the fearsome Sprog barbarian tribes, who often raid into the small settlements in the Northern Wastes.

Life in this portion of Vayrd is difficult at best. The winters are extraordinarily harsh, and only the hardest and most stubborn can survive there. Many of the residents of the Northern Waste live alone, usually by choice, as trappers or hunters. Others band into small settlements, usually near one of the two rivers, for mutual support and protection. These settlements are by necessity small and self-sufficient.

A person who moves to the Wastes to live is usually there for a reason. Many have fled the laws of other lands, hoping to disappear in the northern snow and ice. Others have fallen so far into poverty in the civilized countries that they believe chancing the wastes is all that is left to them. Some are loners, who hate the idea of civilization and civilized life and choose to live by their own devices. Many druids and rangers live in the north, seeing it as a place of uncorrupted wilderness. Others who move to the wastes do so out of a sense of adventure, deciding that they want to tame the untamable wilds. Others who live there are simply there because they were born there, and they have not either the inclination or the means to depart. Still others are more civilized members of the Sprog tribes, who have come to the villages and settlements as traders or hunters.

The Wastes were, at one point, nominally controlled by the Avenguard Empire, though the Empire never had any real presence there. At that time, the land was divided into three provinces - Westland, near the ocean, and the most civilized of the three; Mittelland, including much of the central region, and Ostland, which was never even officially settled. After some half-hearted attempts by the Empire to move soldiers into the region, though (and after the death of those soldiers from extreme cold), the Empire gave up hopes of bringing the lands into its fold. Now, the land is governed only by consent of those who reside in the settlements, and elsewhere by the law of the bow and the sword. Threat of barbarian raids is a constant concern, and the residents take precautions for safety. Even once they leave the Wastes, those who have lived there are usually more alert to threats than those who have never been there.

Racially, the Wastes are a diverse land. Members of all races can be found there; one is as likely to see a catfolk or an orc as a human or a dwarf. However, hardier races are more likely to survive the extreme cold. Dwarven settlements are more frequently found near the mountains, as the frozen Northern Mountains provide some of the best mithril in the world, and one mine - the Niepachisny Mine - is one of only three mines in the world to produce adamantium.

Throughout the land are scattered small pockets of the Sprog barbarian tribes. These tribes are not a unified people, though most have adopted some variation of the Sproggan language, but they are all referred to by the one term. To the east, the tribes are mainly comprised of humans, elves, and dwarves, though rarely all together. In the Northern and Vestcharton Mountains, goliaths and humans are the main tribes, while to the west the tribes include humans, elves, and halflings. Other races have formed their own raiding tribes as well. Each tribe has its own culture, and often its own language (though, as stated, most have adopted Sproggen for use in interactions with other tribes or with the more civilized residents of the Wastes). The only unifying features of all these tribes, though, is their spurning of civilization in all its forms, a typically nomadic lifestyle, and a penchant for raiding settlements.

Languages: Most residents of the Northern Wastes know Vestchartan and Avenguardian, and many know Celerian and Sprog as well. Those living closest to the mountains would understand some Zharahdian.

Spoiler: Celerion
    Show
    The forests of Celerion are a wonder to behold. The trees there are old, from the oaks and maples of the southern regions to the evergreens of the north. And it is rumored that those trees hide secrets from the very creation of the world itself.

Not that anyone outside the elves who live there would be given leave to know them, though. The forest is inhabited almost solely by elves and those adopted by the xenophobic culture. These elves are haughty beyond the typical arrogance of the elves of other lands, to the point where they truly believe themselves to be a master race. Fortunately, they have not carried that belief to the point of exterminating other races; however, they do not permit lesser races to set foot in their sacred forest. The few who are permitted to enter the land are required to sail up the Avenguard River to Urbs Silvarum and are required, on pain of death, to remain in the foreigner quarter of the city.

Not much else is known to outsiders about the elves. They are extraordinarily secretive, particularly about their trees, and questions about their culture, communities, or politics are quickly rebuffed, with the questioner often being escorted to the border or the one questioned leaving the conversation.

Spoiler: Elves of Celerion
    Show
    Celerion elves, those met in Urbs Silvana or outside the forest, are very xenophobic and arrogant. They tend to avoid engagement with other races, deigning only to speak with scholars and wizards; any interactions with anyone else is kept as brief as possible. They will hesitate to touch someone of another race, having been raised to believe that such a touch will contaminate them.

The only outsiders they have any reasonable interaction with are elves, and they consider themselves better than even those they call the Perierat Cognati. They see those elves as having strayed from the path set out by the gods for the elves at the foundation of the world, and would welcome them back to Celerion so long as they took the vows of In Ordine Creationis, which are rumored to be extraordinarily stringent.

Otherwise, the elves of Celerion will speak only with wizards and scholars, both of whom they term Cognita. They see such individuals, who typically speak their tongue, as the only members of other races even worth their time, as they have taken the trouble to spend their lives bettering themselves and the world.

Spoiler: Urbs Silvana
    Show
    The city of Urbs Silvana serves as both the capital of the forest nation and the only contact the nation has with the rest of the world. Much of the city is, even still, off-limits to outsiders, even to visiting elves, and little is known of those parts. The foreign quarter, though small, is the residance of any outsider, diplomat, or ambassador to the nation, and it is there only that contact with the Celerion citizens can be made. Most outsiders who live there are scholars, hoping to glean some information from the elves on their chosen field. Many who travel there hope for arcane knowledge, as it is known that the very best wizards and mages in the world reside in the forest nation.

Languages Spoken: Any elf from Celerion knows Celerian, and many know at least some Avenguardian and Vestchartan. Those living closest to the land know Bnut’yan, the language of the forest.

Spoiler: Zharahd
    Show
    Zharahd is the traditional home of the dwarven race. While dwarves have scattered throughout the world, all their legends have their origins in the mountains south of Raashnaakh. Their major cities are all of critical importance to their society and religion, and most dwarves will at some point in their lives attempt a pilgrimage to visit all five (six, really, but Gradh Rheka has much less importance and is rarely included in pilgrimages except perhaps as a starting point).

Culturally, the dwarves of Zharahd are very xenophobic. Non-dwarves are rarely allowed past the first levels of their mountain homes, and even more rarely are they permitted in the lowest levels (dwarf cities are built down, not up). They are on best terms with gnomes, who they see as distant cousins. Halflings and elves are distrusted most, as they have such unnatural habits as wandering and climbing trees, except for orcs and goblinoids, which are traditionally killed on sight. This particular hatred stems from an unceasing war of skirmishes in the tunnels on the border of Zharahd and Raashnaakh. Many dwarves have travelled to those tunnels in order to bring back an orc head or a goblin skin as proof of their coming of age.

Dwarven law in Zharahd is very swift. An accused, upon arrest, is immediately brought before the local Suddzhia (judge) and the case on both sides is presented. A dwarf who is found guilty is given the choice of hard labor, exile, or death. Once convicted, sentence is carried out immediately. The dwarf is entitled to one appeal, to Kharthor himself; in such a case, the dwarf is transported to Hara Dhoma and set before a tribunal of the High Priest and two advisors. If convicted again, there is no choice of punishment; the dwarf is immediately executed.

Dwarves of Zharahd are typically very lawful, focused on proper observance of tradition and religion. They are currently politically divided, with three major factions. The first, and largest, follows the dwarven king, as he is the traditional ruler, whatever his faults (and they are many). The second, mostly dwarves from the Raashnaakh border, follows the leader called the Storm, who has taken to making raids against the gathering orc and goblinoid armies, claiming that the king has failed to protect the dwarven people. The third faction, not well known, seeks the direct assassination and overthrow of the king.

Languages Spoken: Zharahdian is the native language of all dwarves in Zharahd, and a bonus language for any other resident. Bharsarhcakarr is spoken by halflings from the area. Gnomes would know Wielewzgórzan, while Goliaths would know Hska as their native language. All four languages are bonus languages for the region. A resident of Zharahd might also have learned Păduran, San Alhiam (particularly Goliaths from the Skalist Mountains), Havaryć, or Raashnaakhan. A possible bonus language is Avenguardian, but it should be rare that a dwarf from Zharahd would learn such a plain speech.

Spoiler: Hara Dhoma
    Show
    Hara Dhoma, translated Mountain Home, is the oldest of the dwarf cities. In its deepest levels, dwarf legend says, the god Kharthor crafted dwarves from adamantium found there and gave them life, in the days when Vayrd herself was being formed. From those deepest levels, the first dwarves mined upwards, creating the passages and halls that would eventually become Hara Dhoma.

Culturally, this city is the seat of government for both Zharahd and dwarves worldwide. Very few dwarves will undertake any action that is not permitted by the sitting Dwarfking, regardless of the dwarf’s actual citizenship. Furthermore, Hara Dhoma is the seat of Kharthor’s temple, and dwarf religion mandates at least one pilgrimage in a dwarf’s lifetime to return to Hara Dhoma and see the place where the first dwarves were made.

Because of its cultural and religious significance, though, Hara Dhoma is closed to outsiders. Even meetings with the Dwarfking, such as can be arranged, are handled in Padh Hara or Yuzhno Dhoma rather than in Hara Dhoma. Those few outsiders who are permitted in must be cleansed by Kharthor’s high priest and must follow a very strict set of proscriptions; penalty for breaking the Zhakhony Aŭtsajdharskhamu, or the Outsider Laws, is death.

Dwarves who live in Hara Dhoma are mostly miners, religious devotees, or governmental workers of some sort. Hara Dhoma is one of only three known mines to contain adamantium, so to be a Hara Dhoma miner is a distinction on the level of being a priest of Kharthor. Some have said that the city has a large stockpile of the metal already and only releases it in small bits to keep the price high; there is, however, little evidence to support the theory.

Spoiler: Padh Hara
    Show
    The city of Padh Hara (translated Beneath the Mountain, or more literally Under Mountain), north of Hara Dhoma, is another mining community. Its primary products are iron, gold, silver, copper, and gemstones. It is in the forges of Padh Hara that much of the world’s cold iron is forged.

Spoiler: Yuzhno Dhoma
    Show
    Yuzhno Dhoma, or South Home, is primarily an agricultural city. Entire cave systems are devoted to growing mushrooms and other low/no-light plants, as well as to animal husbandry. Of the underground cities, this is the most accessible to outsiders, as much of the farming techniques used were learned from outside races, and often agricultural experts and druids are invited in to aid in food production. This is the only city in which elves are permitted, though they are kept under strict scrutiny at all times.

Spoiler: Severno Dhoma
    Show
    Severno Dhoma is an odd city in that its name is not actually Dwarven; it is instead from Havaryć, and means North Home. The reason, as well as it can be explained, is that the dwarves did not originally settle the caves that became Severno Dhoma, but instead drove a barbarian tribe out of them. It is a fortress city and the greatest of the barriers to incursion from Raashnaakh. It is also unusual in that, while a majority of the residents are dwarves, a large minority are goliaths, who provide extra muscle, and gnomes, who use their natural talents at illusion and magic to keep the Raashnaakhians at bay.

Spoiler: Khŭlm Krepost
    Show
    The city of Khŭlm Krepost, or Hill Fortress, is the only underground dwarf city that is outside the Zharahd Mountains. It lies instead in the Skalist Mountains, which border the eastern edge of Zharahd. Its primary purpose is military as well, and sends out regular patrols to the edge of the Great Eastern Desert to keep back any Eastern nomads as well as to ensure that the armies of Raashnaakh do not enter Zharahd from the east. In addition, it sends patrols south to the border of Pădure, to guard against any Păduran elf trespassing on Zharahdian soil.

Spoiler: Gradh Rheka
    Show
    The city of Gradh Rheka, or River City, is not technically a Zharahdian city, though half of it does come under Zharahdian law. It is on the border of Padure and Zharahd, just inside the former, at the intersection of the Zharahd River and the Padure border. It is split into two main quadrants - a dwarven quadrant (majority of the population) and an elven quadrant. There are other quadrants of the city, though, in which humans, gnomes, halflings, and other races reside, though they are very much a minority. Gradh Rheka is the gateway from Zharahd to the rest of the world - all their mined metals pass through there on their way downriver to Pădure and the Avenguard port city of Lumiere.

Spoiler: Outside the Cities
    Show
    While a large majority of the Zharahdian dwarves live within the mountain fortress cities, there are communities scattered throughout the mountains. Many are underground, though underground dwelling is not universal. These dwarves tend to be the most stubborn of the dwarf citizens of Zharahd, and the most likely to violate minor laws or rules. After the orc invasion, few of these communities remain.

Other than dwarves, though, there are three major races that inhabit Zharahd. First are the goliaths, which have communities throughout the Zharahd and Skalist Mountains. They tend to keep to themselves, and by agreement with the dwarves, dwarf law does not apply to them unless they enter a dwarven city. A number of gnome communities can also be found in the foothills of the mountains, as gnomes tend to prefer hilltop dwellings (or even under-hill dwellings) to living inside mountains. Finally a number of nomadic halfling tribes wander the central plains of Zharahd. They are often persecuted by the dwarves, but because their caravans provide valuable trade transportation, they are permitted to remain in the country.

Spoiler: Justland
    Show
    Three hundred years ago, an order of Meghwyn's paladins, those who took law enforcement to its furthest extremes, had a disagreement with the higherarchy of the Avenguard Empire and even within the temple of Meghwyn. These paladins, along with their families and several hundred settlers who joined them, left the nation entirely and began moving east. When they came to the banks of the Avenguard River, with its three huge stone-like bridges and the mountains of Raashnaakh rising behind it, they decided they had found their home. From that location, they could enforce justice as they deemed necessary, and those who wished to join their ranks could easily prove their faith by making raids across the river into Raashnaakh.

The order of paladins has long since died out, but they were replaced by a small kingdom that saw itself as a shining light of an example to the rest of the world. The two pillars of law and morality held up their government and society. Everything had its place, and everyone was expected to observe the laws without exception. Mercy existed, but not at the expense of justice. The nation of Justland had been established.

Now, the kingdom of Justland had compromised its values regularly in order to keep the orc and goblin armies from swarming over the bridges to crush the tiny nation. They are the gateway to the rest of the world, both geographically and morally (or so they believe), so some compromise is acceptable to save the rest of the world the horrors that would certainly accompany invasion and war. In his pride, King Voren II believes he can negotiate with the enemy and bring peace.

Culturally, Justland is a military nation. The highest honor in the nation is to be accepted into the Holy Order of Justland Paladins, the most elite military force in the nation and, perhaps, in the world. Despite the nation's size, the Justland military is nearly as large as that of Celerion, a nation with more than ten times its population. Every man and woman between the ages of seventeen and forty is expected to serve at least in the Justland militia; there are no exceptions. Clerics are battle-trained; farmers know how to use a spear; blacksmiths can swing a warhammer as easily as a forge hammer. The nation is constantly prepared for war, and has become more vigilant as it seems the Raashnaakh orcs are growing more aggressive.

Spoiler: Races and Species
    Show
    Justland was originally founded and settled primarily by humans, but they no longer make up an absolute majority. All races are welcome, so long as they agree to abide by Justland's rather stringent laws. Elves, dwarves, gnomes, and halflings have all made Justland their home in large numbers, and many other races have as well. For the most part, they have blended into a unified nation, though there are of course still individual acts of racism and xenophobia. Such actions are quickly suppressed, though, and punished. With the rise in hostility between Justland and Raashnaakh, orcs, goblinoids, and other races traditionally from Raashnaakh saw increased persecution and hatred, and the Justland military and courts did less and less to enforce the anti-persecution laws.

Spoiler: Culture
    Show
    The society of Justland is built entirely around the military orders, in which there is a stringent ranking system. Every person knows their place, and the Justlanders like it that way. Nobility is less important in Justland than skill with a blade or spear, and noble titles and even lands will often change hands. Military promotion means societal promotion as well, and being discharged in disgrace means a loss of title and lands as well, usually requiring the suicide of the one so discharged. Those who have retired from military service (usually at forty years, or the racial equivalent) are the farmers, miners, and craftsmen of the nation. Surprisingly, this particular societal convention has made Justland one of the most profitable nations in the world, as the phrase "as diligent as a Justlander" became a common saying. Military service instilled a work ethic into every citizen such that everything a Justlander made was of high quality, and a Justlander could typically work twice as fast as those from other nations.

Languages Spoken: The national language of Justland is Avenguardian; however, it is not unusual for Justlanders to be bi-lingual. Zharahdian, Wielewzgórzan, Păduran, and Celerian are the most common tongues, but most languages of the world can be heard in Justland City.

Spoiler: Pădure
    Show
    The elves of Pădure are very different from their northern cousins. Where the elves of Celerion are xenophobic and arrogant, the elves of Pădure are open and welcoming. While elves make up the majority of the nation's population, large minorities of humans, halflings, catfolk, raptorians, and other races make their home on the banks of the Puternic or Zharahd Rivers or in the vast Păduran forests that surround them. Even the elves living there are diverse.

The river is the main source of income for the nation, as the elves handle most of the trade between Zharahd and the rest of the world. Metals and minerals mined in the dwarven mountains flow downriver from Gradh Rheka to Întâlnire, then on to Puternia, and from there to Lumičre and the rest of the world.

Pădure is governed by a hereditary monarch and an elected body of representatives called the Reprezentanţii. This body controls economic policy, while the monarch's responsibility is social policy and foreign affairs. The Reprezentanţii is comprised of elected representatives, at least one from every race that makes up even 1% of Pădure's population.

Languages:Păduran is native. Second languages include Avenguardian, Prahan, Celerian, Kuseman, and Bharsarhcakarr.

Major Religions: Ahasuerus & Meghwyn, Y'rador, Ildos/Adari/Ros, Vashti, Eldeia, Vayrd, Viaq, Ereld, Vertess

Spoiler: Wielewzgórza
    Show
    A kingdom mostly of gnomes, Wielewzgórza is a chaotic good monarchical republic. Ruled jointly by a king and a senate, they have trouble making governmental decisions. Few other races live there, but it is not unheard of to see a dwarf or human. Elves and halflings are rare. (NOTE: I have more info on this nation, I’ve just never gotten around to writing it up. If you want to fill in some fluff here, feel free.)

Spoiler: On Languages
    Show
    There are a number of languages spoken by the people of Vayrd. Each language is regional rather than racial, though some regions are so racially exclusive that the language of that region becomes the de-facto racial language. One thing about this particular game is that I will be using real-world languages to represent in-game languages. If your character speaks a different language, Google translate is your friend. The languages are as follows:

* Avenguardian - the universal language, spoken by most of the world. It is the native language of residents of most regions of the Avenguard Empire and all of the Kingdom of Justland. Represented by English.
    * Vestchartan - spoken in northern Avenguard and the northern wastes. Represented by German.
    * Toulousian - the language spoken in the four city-states in southwestern Avenguard and the surrounding areas. Can also be heard in the Western Isles. Represented by French.
    * Prahan - spoken primarily in southeastern Avenguard and Justland. Represented by Czech.
    * Reikan - spoken primarily by natives of the northern wastes. Represented by Icelandic.
    * Păduran - the language of Pădure, the southern elven forests. Also spoken throughout southern Avenguard. Represented by Romanian.
    * Wielewzgórzan - spoken primarily by gnomes, particularly those of the hills of Wielewzgórza. Represented by Polish.
    * Celerian - also known as old Elvish, it is spoken almost exclusively in Celerion. It is the de facto elvish language, and it is often known by scholars no matter the nation. Represented by Latin.
    * Zharahdian - language of the dwarf kingdom of Zharahd, and of dwarves continent-wide. Represented by Belarusan.
    * Raashnaakhan - language of the orc dictatorship of Raashnaakh. Spoken by orcs and goblinoids continent-wide. Represented by Russian.
    * San Alhiam - language of the nomads of the Great Eastern Desert. Represented by Arabic.
    * Grēṭa Jami - language of the Western Isles. Represented by Bengali.
    * Havaryć - language of the barbarian tribes in the east and southeast. Represented by Bosnian.
    * Kuseman - language of the barbarian tribes to the south. Represented by Swahili.
    * Sproggan - language of the northern barbarian tribes. Represented by Danish.
    * Bharsarhcakarr - language of halflings the world over, but primarily concentrated in halfling tribes to the southeast of Avenguard and Pădure. Represented by Burmese.
    * Kaṭhiṇa - the oldest known language, it is the language of dragons and mages. All arcane spells must be cast in this language. Represented by Kannada.
    * Samot’kheshi - the language of the heavens (celestial). All good-aligned clerics must cast spells in this language. Represented by Georgian.
    * Narakaṁ - the language of demons and devils. All evil-aligned clerics must cast spells in this language. Represented by Telugu.
    * Draoithe - the language of druids. Represented by Irish.
    * Hska - the language of goliaths, particularly those in Zharhad. Represented by Armenian.

Please note that all arcane spellcasters know enough Kaṭhiṇa to cast spells. Wizards and other studied arcane spellcasters get Kaṭhiṇa for free. Clerics and other divine spellcasters who draw on a god's power to cast spells may, if they have in their background a history of study (cloistered clerics), get either Samot’kheshi or Narakaṁ as a free language. All others know just enough to cast their spells. Druids get Draoithe for free.

For other languages, just ask, and I'll add it to the list.
    Last edited by WesleyVos; 2018-01-16 at 10:44 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, using those languages...

So I think my person was the child of adventurers from Justland. She avoided the overbearing legacy of her family by becoming a mercenary in Avenguard.

+15... +10... I've only got +6. Welp, hear's to hoping I die quick so I won't have to live with that for long.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Bugbear in the Playground

I asked in your other Gladiator game, but I’ll ask here: can Intuitive Attack apply to attack and damage like your modified Weapon Finesse?
    Sigtars by the awesome Linklele.

Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, I can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Polymorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    I’ve just been diagnosed with depression. Expect my posting rate to drop.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

I'm looking at a history with some less than upstanding Southeastern Avenguard ruler, a mayor or baron. Barawed was his left hand. In fact, she inherited the position from her adoptive father. He'd trained Barawed to fight, to follow orders, and to know when to set your morals to the side.

Recently she has been cut loose. Perhaps her patron was assassinated, leaving her to find new work in the world.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheArcaneCaster View Post
    I asked in your other Gladiator game, but I’ll ask here: can Intuitive Attack apply to attack and damage like your modified Weapon Finesse?
    Yes, under the same conditions (you can't use both that and Weapon Finesse).

I'm looking at a history with some less than upstanding Southeastern Avenguard ruler, a mayor or baron. Barawed was his left hand. In fact, she inherited the position from her adoptive father. He'd trained Barawed to fight, to follow orders, and to know when to set your morals to the side.

Recently she has been cut loose. Perhaps her patron was assassinated, leaving her to find new work in the world.
    Sounds good. Perhaps a minor noble residing in the city of Praha would work, or feel free to have it be a baron or count outside the city (I haven't developed every area, so you can flesh it out as needed).

Snow, yours sounds good too. Feel free to flesh them out as much as you like - If you have specific questions, I'm happy to work with you on them, but I don't have any particular details to add at this time.
    Last edited by WesleyVos; 2018-01-17 at 10:05 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

OOC thread is here. Post your character info, and we'll get ready to go.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

Xenopax, you still with us? Please move your character over to the OOC thread if you are. We're about ready to start.