New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Pokemon: Team Rocket's motivation/philosophy

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    If you have it, I at least recommend giving it a shot. Different Pokémon are available in each area than the previous games (for example, Inkay can be found near the prof's lab). I also think they handle characterization better this time, though a warning that it's basically unrelated to the last games - Ultra Space and everything is all known about from the beginning (which I found rather jarring after the Moon Postgame), and sometimes characters seem to know things that Gamefreak assumes the players would already have figured out, but really shouldn't know in game. (Though, this was probably mostly an issue for me, because I went in blind, and so actually expected a sequel...)

But, yeah. The difficulty is definitely higher, and if you stick with the same team throughout, I guarantee you'll probably run into at least an handful of battles that give you trouble. (Especially if you have Set Battle on, rather than Shift.)
    Do you need to have played Sun/Moon first or can you pick it up and play it without knowing them?
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    Do you need to have played Sun/Moon first or can you pick it up and play it without knowing them?
    The game makes a couple assumptions on the part of the player having played the first games (mainly on the nature of Ultra Beasts and ultra Space, which are discussed openly as if the player would pretty much know what they are), but, on the whole, there is no need to play the first games. So, there might be a few little things, but it's essentially a completely self-contained thing.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    The game makes a couple assumptions on the part of the player having played the first games (mainly on the nature of Ultra Beasts and ultra Space, which are discussed openly as if the player would pretty much know what they are)
    Frankly, I played through the first game and still don't really know what Ultra Beasts and Ultra Space is, so I think that's pretty safe. Didn't help that I'd kind of zoned out by that point, since I didn't expect to watch a full-length movie
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #64
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Frankly, I played through the first game and still don't really know what Ultra Beasts and Ultra Space is, so I think that's pretty safe. Didn't help that I'd kind of zoned out by that point, since I didn't expect to watch a full-length movie
    Spoiler: Curtesy spoiler
    Show

Pokemon from an AU world and the AU world, respectivly. One that has differant reality from the timelines the Pokemon Games have been in, resulting in Pokemon who really only tangenitally resemble the main realities Pokemon.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2018-01-18 at 08:15 PM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    I like the take Saphroneth took in Ashes of the Past. (It's fanfic, but really, really good fanfic.) Basically, Giovanni does want to "protect the world from devastation," inasmuch as, in order to take control of the world, there needs to be one. So he sees part of the organization's goal as preventing major global threats, a serious concern when there are monster-gods roaming the planet and upheaving entire ecosystems. Here's a quote:

I like that interpretation, personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Like a lot of that story (and I VERY DEFINITELY second the recommendation), it's a really good idea.
    Thanks for the recommendation. That's a pretty good fic. I mean, I started reading it when those posts there were new and just reached Hoenn 1. I would have stopped sooner if I didn't like it, I think.

Favorite moment so far: Ash finally meets an Absol. That poor, poor Absol.