New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Highest movement Speed bonus on classes

Hey there!

For a Homebrew Class I am building at the moment (whose alpha version isa already on display in the Homebrew thread, the Wanderer, here is the Link:http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...1-The-Wanderer ) I got a complaint by a friend and co-gamer that its movement bonuses where too high.

Now to make sure that is not the case: Pelase, all of you with encyclopedic rtules knowledge, help me find the following.
    the single 3.p Class with the highest bonus to Movment speed
    The maximum 3 class combination that gives the highest bonuses to movmeent speed.
    The theoretical maximum on bonuses to movement speed ina 0lvl build.

thank you all in advance!
    Last edited by GrayDeath; 2018-01-13 at 09:52 AM.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Highest movement Speed bonus on classes

Two question.
    1. How much move speed did your homebrew class grant?
    2. is having a ludicrous move speed bad for game balance.

IMO the only way high move speed could be a problem is if it was high enough to be a good substitute for teleportation, or potentially as a part of some sort of charge build.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by GrayDeath View Post
    Hey there!

For a Homebrew Class I am building at the moment (whose alpha version isa already on display in the Homebrew thread, the Traveller) I got a complaint by a friend and co-gamer that its movement bonuses where too high.

Now to make sure that is not the case: Pelase, all of you with encyclopedic rtules knowledge, help me find the following.
    the single 3.p Class with the highest bonus to Movment speed
    The maximum 3 class combination that gives the highest bonuses to movmeent speed.
    The theoretical maximum on bonuses to movement speed ina 0lvl build.

thank you all in advance!
    I cant find this homebrew thread of yours. I was going to check your "alpha version" out but can't find it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Totemist dip to pick up the Dread Carapace soulmeld is probably the best... unless you're trying to use the cheetah's Sprint (Ex) ability to break the sound barrier, in which case a dip into something that gives you Wild Shape would be what you're looking for: Abolisher (Lords of Madness) or Shapeshifter (Oriental Adventures), for example.

This post lists some of the various ways to crank up your speed.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Blade Dancer (Oriental Adventures page 37) triples your speed and grants a +30 bonus to Balance, Jump, and Tumble over ten class levels. It's intended to be a wuxia fighter, I think, lots of high leaps and wall-walks.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ExLibrisMortis View Post
    Blade Dancer (Oriental Adventures page 37) triples your speed and grants a +30 bonus to Balance, Jump, and Tumble over ten class levels. It's intended to be a wuxia fighter, I think, lots of high leaps and wall-walks.
    It's also an absolute bear to get into (at least if you care about doing anything else other than simply qualifying for Blade Dancer). +7 BAB, 12 ranks each in Jump and Tumble, spells of some kind, a minor proficiency tax (obnoxious if you want to be a Monk or something for some strange reason), and three garbage feats? Skilled City Dweller makes the skill requirement a little more bearable, but still, oof. That's not a fun pile of prereqs. (And there's an alignment restriction to boot, just in case you thought you'd sneak in as a Barbarian or something.)

Probably the largest always-on bonus you can get to Jump checks in a single level, though, assuming you can get in.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

The jumplomancer comes to mind, (ab)usable falling object damage, and jump in general.
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

well i hit 2100 feet movement speed using spheres of power with mount so its not hard to rack up movement speed with little optimization.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

As is usually the case in 3.5, the best way I know of to charge up your speed is with magic or Wild Shape. Assume the form of a Mercury Dragon and you're up to 200ft flight or more. If you only care about moving really fast in one direction, combine with Darrin's Cheetah's Sprint suggestion on a Wild Shape build and get up to 1000 ft. I think there's an old 3.0 item (Horned Helm maybe?) that doubles movement speed as well.

The most destructive thing you can do by charging up movement speed is charge up Tornado Throw. A tiny-sized Mercury Wyrmling, with its 200ft (perfect) fly speed can get high enough trip checks using Tornado Throw to dribble the Tarrasque around like a basketball. That requires an initiator level of 17, of course, so it may not matter for this homebrew class, unless you can get the bonuses you want from only 6 levels or it has an initiator level.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    The most destructive thing you can do by charging up movement speed is charge up Tornado Throw.
    More destructive than Roof-Jumper? (Feat from Cityscape, +1d6 damage for each 10' you "fall" on an opponent from above.) I got a swanmay to do 449d6 damage on a power dive. I fiddled around with Abolisher 1/Geomancer 9 to see if I could get it working sooner, but the best I could do was around ECL 16ish.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    More destructive than Roof-Jumper? (Feat from Cityscape, +1d6 damage for each 10' you "fall" on an opponent from above.) I got a swanmay to do 449d6 damage on a power dive. I fiddled around with Abolisher 1/Geomancer 9 to see if I could get it working sooner, but the best I could do was around ECL 16ish.
    more like how to pull mario in dnd more like it
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    well i hit 2100 feet movement speed using spheres of power with mount so its not hard to rack up movement speed with little optimization.
    We ar enot using Spheres of Anything, so yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    As is usually the case in 3.5, the best way I know of to charge up your speed is with magic or Wild Shape. Assume the form of a Mercury Dragon and you're up to 200ft flight or more. If you only care about moving really fast in one direction, combine with Darrin's Cheetah's Sprint suggestion on a Wild Shape build and get up to 1000 ft. I think there's an old 3.0 item (Horned Helm maybe?) that doubles movement speed as well.

The most destructive thing you can do by charging up movement speed is charge up Tornado Throw. A tiny-sized Mercury Wyrmling, with its 200ft (perfect) fly speed can get high enough trip checks using Tornado Throw to dribble the Tarrasque around like a basketball. That requires an initiator level of 17, of course, so it may not matter for this homebrew class, unless you can get the bonuses you want from only 6 levels or it has an initiator level.

OK, to clarify: Base Movement Speed. On land. Without Spells, Shapechange, and any other supernatural shennannigans.

Not absolutely insane amounts of under Circumstance X and with Feat Y I can reach Speed Z, although the numbers mentioned so far make my Wanderer seem non problematic, as I thought.

I also added the link to it in the OP, just to make sure. :)

Thanks for all the answers so far.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Looking at the link, the speed bonus is just barely over that of a monk, so it should be fine. If it really seems like an issue, just straight replace it with Fast Movement progression from Monk to give it a firmly defensible basis.
    All advice given with the caveat that you know your group better than I do. If that wasn't true, you'd be getting advice face-to-face. So I generalize.

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    are you asking us to do research into a setting you wrote yourself?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Easily, though you need to be ECL 20, or 17 with UMD or a friendly caster Polymorphing you. Take a Wild Shape Ranger 6/Swordsage 14 assuming the form of a Very Young Mercury Dragon with Dragon Wild Shape, and using Quicksilver Motion+Tornado Throw. He moves 200 ft with Quicksilver Motion, which on the chassis of a small creature with 10 Str and no Improved Trip, is starting us off at +80 on the first throw after 10 ft of Tornado Throw movement, and it goes up from there. For comparison, as a Colossal quadruped, the Tarrasque has a +37 check to resist. Each 5 points by which you win the check on a given trip adds 1d6 to the base 2d6 damage per throw, so you win by about 40 on average for the first throw for 7d6, and increase by 4/5 of a d6 on average on each of the subsequent 39 throws. That'll easily average out to more than 10.5d6 per throw, which is all I need to get to 450d6. And of course, I can spread the damage out among multiple enemies as needed, whereas Roof-Jumper is single target, and most enemies will lose the check by more than Big T will.
    Last edited by WhamBamSam; 2018-01-13 at 10:45 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by GrayDeath View Post
    OK, to clarify: Base Movement Speed. On land. Without Spells, Shapechange, and any other supernatural shennannigans.

Not absolutely insane amounts of under Circumstance X and with Feat Y I can reach Speed Z, although the numbers mentioned so far make my Wanderer seem non problematic, as I thought.
    Oh ho, completely mundane speediness you say? I’m unhealthily interested in this idea.

Barbarian 1 gets Fast Movement, as does Wildshape Ranger 1, and Scout 3, and Monk 3. Assuming those all stack (I think they do because [most of?] the bonuses are untyped), that’s +40 feet right there. The Quick trait adds another 10, the Dash feat adds 5. The Celerity Domain adds 10 feet too, but then that requires being a cleric, which I suppose runs afoul of the no-magic clause. The Dark template, perhaps acquired through the Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis, adds another 10. And then you could start with a race that has extra movement in the first place, like Catfolk – you’d be an 8th level barbarian/ranger/scout/monk kitty cat that people couldn’t see very well, with 105 feet movement speed. I’m sure it’s possible to do better, even with the Muggle restriction, but that’s as good as I can do it.
    Avatar by the one and only Ceika.
    "I'll be whatever I wanna do." - Philip J. Fry
    my fake wizard|my fake one-shot|my fake link

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Gnome Alone View Post
    Oh ho, completely mundane speediness you say? I’m unhealthily interested in this idea.

Barbarian 1 gets Fast Movement, as does Wildshape Ranger 1, and Scout 3, and Monk 3. Assuming those all stack (I think they do because [most of?] the bonuses are untyped), that’s +40 feet right there. The Quick trait adds another 10, the Dash feat adds 5. The Celerity Domain adds 10 feet too, but then that requires being a cleric, which I suppose runs afoul of the no-magic clause. The Dark template, perhaps acquired through the Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis, adds another 10. And then you could start with a race that has extra movement in the first place, like Catfolk – you’d be an 8th level barbarian/ranger/scout/monk kitty cat that people couldn’t see very well, with 105 feet movement speed. I’m sure it’s possible to do better, even with the Muggle restriction, but that’s as good as I can do it.
    Well, any wyrmling dragon will out-fly that (and many of them have no casting yet). Mercury dragons are particularly obnoxiously fast, having a 200' (perfect) fly speed, and they're available at ECL 5. However, even when considering base land speed, they are faster than dark catfolk, having a 60' land speed. Not bad, for something supposedly the size of a cat...
    Last edited by ExLibrisMortis; 2018-01-13 at 08:45 PM.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ExLibrisMortis View Post
    Well, any wyrmling dragon will out-fly that (and many of them have no casting yet). Mercury dragons are particularly obnoxiously fast, having a 200' (perfect) fly speed, and they're available at ECL 5. However, even when considering base land speed, they are faster than dark catfolk, having a 60' land speed. Not bad, for something supposedly the size of a cat...
    Plus, of course, you can put a Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis on a PC who transforms into a Mercury Wyrmling and get that juicy +50% multiplier on a much larger base speed.