Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Modifications for faster combat

Quote Originally Posted by ThePurple View Post
    Imo, the math works out better with the item bonuses following the same progression as for the other big 3 slots (+1 for every 5 levels). The problem is that other arm slot items don't provide a bonus on that same level, which is why I've honestly considered just making it a passive effect of all arm slot items (which works with the level math, because the IAoP and BoA are both level 6 items, effectively making them the arm slot equivalent of the generic magic armor/weapon).
    Something that's almost never talked about is embracing the [christmas tree] : remove from the neck-slot item the "all NADS" bonuses and distribute those amongst the other item-slots.

Reflex bonuses come from boots and cloaks.
    Fortitude bonuses come from belts and bracers.
    Will bonuses come from amulets and head-gear.

Or something - you could then spread more love around, with a built-in justification of having these items grant the "regular" bonus as a baseline (much like weapons).

In a game where "power" comes from "acquisition", something like this could work (of course, it's pretty counter to the regularly accepted 4e-isms).

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

I've just given all arm slots a +1/2/3 (or 1/2/4) item bonus to damage rolls by tier.

The ones that focus on it give an extra +1/2/3 (or (1/2/2), but that is a smaller benefit that other arm items become tempting.

This also keeps items like the Radiant Sword interesting.

---

Weapon Focus or the variants are boring but effective.

If you are ok with minor homebrew, what I'd do is what expertise feats did. They have a boring yet effective part plus an slightly more interesting kicker.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoutonRustique View Post
    Something that's almost never talked about is embracing the [christmas tree] : remove from the neck-slot item the "all NADS" bonuses and distribute those amongst the other item-slots.
    I could see this working in an online game where the tracking is automatic, but I can see it being problematic by increasing the amount of tracking and potential for errors in bookkeeping. Of course, this could be solved with a smart character sheet that does the math for you.
    4e Homebrew: Shadow Knight
    roll20: Kitru

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    I've just given all arm slots a +1/2/3 (or 1/2/4) item bonus to damage rolls by tier.

The ones that focus on it give an extra +1/2/3 (or (1/2/2), but that is a smaller benefit that other arm items become tempting.

This also keeps items like the Radiant Sword interesting.
    This is far more appealing to me, but doesn't address the discrepancy of stacking static bonuses.

Weapon Focus or the variants are boring but effective.

If you are ok with minor homebrew, what I'd do is what expertise feats did. They have a boring yet effective part plus an slightly more interesting kicker.
    It's a thought.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post

The elemental +3/4 feats from HotEC all do that to some extent, but it's always predicated on taking damage from an attack of the right variety. But it does point in a direction you can go in.