New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: The messengers

1. - Top - End - #301
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: The messengers

Dagg

Dagg glances at the rear to make sure that no one is sneaking up on the group, then moves to the front and whispers, "What's there?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot check, if necessary: (1d20+2)[4]

2. - Top - End - #302
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ozzgar loks around carefully, but can't find any evidences of violence, there's no blood on the streets, the houses aren't burned, not broke in.

There are numerous tracks in the soil, leading from the farming village towards Shrewsbury. It looks like they brought everything movable with them, including domestic animals an much of the food from the granary.
    Troubles in Athkatla, an FR game about schemings around an ancient curse
    The messengers, a game about finding allies in times of need

Sorry about the lack of posting lately. I usually try to post once a day, but if it's server downtime, I'm in trouble.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lorrick

Looks like an evacuation. Something bad happened here.

4. - Top - End - #304

Dafydd

"Maybe they were merely threatened to leave? It's not a bad tactic, militarily. Save possible personnel loss due to fighting the locals, force the other enemy cities to take on the burden of refugees, might even cut supply lines, or potential ones. Still, from what I know of this menace, it seems a little too nice of them."

Dafydd keeps his eyes sharp, but knows his sword is more useful to the group than his eyes. "Lets head into town, carefully."
    Proud Happy Biscuit (TM) salesman

avatar: Fence the gypsy halfling rogue by Sampi

5. - Top - End - #305

BardGuy

Kaz

Kaz takes a quick look around the town as they walk in, then says "Ozz, these tracks look like they go in the same direction we're heading. Instead of investigating the town, maybe we should find its citizens."

To be on the safe side, Kaz draws his kukri.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

Ozzgar the Wolf

The goblin nods. "Aye. Ah'll have a look ahead an' see if'n there's anythin' waitin' oon us, nae?" he says. Ozz spins and quickly follows the tracks.
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

7. - Top - End - #307

You follow the tracks through the small village, but you find nothing and noone, the place is totally deserted. All the tracks lead to the eastern road, towards the castle-city of Shrewsbury. You estimate you can reach the city in six hours, in a moderate speed.

Sorry about the lack of posting lately. I usually try to post once a day, but if it's server downtime, I'm in trouble.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

Ozzgar the Wolf

Returning to the group, Ozz seems a bit more relaxed. "Nuthin' an' no-one here. Seems they all headed ta Shrewsb'ry. We kin make it in six hours or soo, at a decent - but not agressive - pace," he reports.

9. - Top - End - #309

BardGuy

Kaz nods at the news. "Sounds good. Let's go."

10. - Top - End - #310
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Dagg

Dagg starts when he hears that the group is heading to Shrewsbury. "Why? If they made it to Shrewsbury, they're safe. If they didn't, could be really fight against something that ate an entire town?"

11. - Top - End - #311

BardGuy

Kaz gives Dagg a sympathetic look.
    "Well, Shrewsbury is on the way anyways. Hopefully when we pass through it won't be like this."

12. - Top - End - #312

Lorrick

I agree. Let's go. If they were running, we'd best not delay.

13. - Top - End - #313

You leave the small farming village behind, and head towards Shrewsbury with haste. You didn't met with a single soul on the road during your travel.

The sun was already set down by the time you climbed the last hill on the road. From the hilltop, you could see the whole valley Shrewsbury's located in. Altough it was already dark, you could see the lights of the city. But you also see a frightening scene; only a mile away from the city, you see a lot of campfires set up in linear rows and colums. It's impossible to identify the people around the fires, but the precise pattern of the campfires, combined with dozens of torches going around the whole camping site show clearly that this belongs to a very well organized military unit. You can estimate their numbers to be around 1000-2000, probalby a whole legion or two.

Upon inspecting the city again form the distance, you see that there are many torches in the guard towers, and even on the city walls. Shrewsbury is a big city in Nabarrian terms, with nearly 80.000 inhabitants. The city gates are closed, and barricaded, you can see that even from this distance.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Dagg

Dagg is slightly unnerved both by the size of the city and the army (presumably) besieging it. "That explains it then. Maybe we should go, before reinforcements come. That elf king might be interested in this, as well."

15. - Top - End - #315

Lorrick

Agreed. And camping armies tend to be a little problematic to travel.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

Ozzgar the Wolf

The goblin nods solemnly at his companion's assertions. "Aye. This'd be joost whot we were sent oot fer, Ah think, nae?"

17. - Top - End - #317

BardGuy

kaz

"Yeah, let's find a way around this mess. We should be gettng close to the elf forest."

18. - Top - End - #318

Dafydd

Dafydd frowns at the sight. "Well, I daresay the city will hold a few months on what supplies they have. Even so, the invaders might have many more legions on the march as we speak. Indeed, gentlemen, we should be on, quickly. But let's stop here for the night and catch some rest, though a campfire is probably a bad notion." Dafydd finds a spot to lay his baggage and chews on some rations before settling in.

19. - Top - End - #319

At Daffyd's proposal, you spend the night on the road. Nothing unusual happens the night, the nearby camping army must have scared away any potential disturbers of your dreams. Early in the morning, you woke up and prepared to continue your journey. In the sunlight, the Burubu legion looks even more fearful. Going in a circle around Shrewsbury to avoid the attackers, you descended to the valley behind the town, and marched at a steady pace.

It was in the early afternoon, when you first spot a lonely man in the disance, who were heading towards to you in a moderate place. The male human was haevily armed and armored, looking like an able combatant. Two minutes passed from when you spot him, and now the man, who is clearly a fellow Nabarrian, possibly from the Regency itself, sttod in front of you.

New PC intro!

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

Ozzgar the Wolf

The goblin glares at the newcomer, but says nothing, leaving words for those who use them best. Friend or foe, Ah don't ken. Ah'll let Kaz an' Daf do tha talkin', he thinks to himself as he sizes the man's ability. His bow remains loaded, though neither drawn nor aimed.

21. - Top - End - #321

Dafydd

Dafydd saunters casually up to the man, just out of striking distance. "Hail, friend, and well met." His speaking and manner are disarming, pointedly designed to avoid, rather than produce, conflict. "My name is Dafydd Fennswyth. These others, my friends, and I are on a journey together of some import. Would you be so kind, I might wonder, as to let us by the road, sir?" He smiles amicably and gestures past the man. "Or have you some business with us?"
    Last edited by obliged_salmon; 2007-12-17 at 04:18 PM.

22. - Top - End - #322

WolfInSheepsClothing

Karos

Karos looks oddly at the well armed group approaching him. He himself is well armed, his large mace pearing over the side of his shoulder, but he feels no threat in these newcomers. "This is a rough time to be out wondering these roads with the legion sending out scouting parties in all directions. This road is yours to take" he says as he steps to the side, "I have to admit I have no business with you but I did feel a need to walk out here this morning and maybe it was you I was looking for. What matter of import do you speak of?"
    The bunny's scared, the bunny's scared of you...shivering.
    And you've got these f***ing claws and these fangs man And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs and you're thinking, you're thinking to yourself, I dont know what to do man....I don't know how to kill the bunny With this you don't know how to kill the bunny

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

Ozzgar the Wolf

Ozz looks warily from the newcomer to Dafydd. Knowing that some Nabarrians had joined -- forcibly or otherwise -- with the invaders, he doesn't know about revealing the nature of the group's mission. He muses silently, Ah'll hafta troost 'em ta do whot's right. Instead he scans the side of the road, intent on finding possible ambushers.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search: (1d20+7)[11]
    Spot: (1d20+7)[24]; +2 vs Humans.
    Listen: (1d20+7)[19]; +2 vs Humans.
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2007-12-17 at 05:11 PM.

24. - Top - End - #324

Dafydd

Dafydd puzzles at the man's remark. Perhaps it was us he was looking for? Wouldn't he know whether it was or wasn't us he was looking for? Ah yes! Dafydd chides himself for not seeing it earlier. "You are a man of the clergy, then, to speak of matters thus? I myself am paladin of Corellan Larethian, Guide Our Path," he flits his eyes heavenward, "though to be honest, I'm not all that observant. Come, sir, for a moment on this path with us. What is your name, and whom do you serve? Perhaps my companions might introduce themselves as well?"

The wild elf turns and sees the skeptic looks on the others' faces. He frowns slightly. "Well, come on now, no sense being all dour about an odd fellow on the road!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Dafydd will make an inconspicuous detect evil on Karos, just because he probably should.

25. - Top - End - #325

WolfInSheepsClothing

Karos

"You have found me out. I am of the clergy even though sometimes they don't claim me. I promote St Cuthbert's justice and mete out his retribution," at that Karos moves his hand back to touch his warmace, feeling comforted that it is still there. "Many call me Karos Swifthand and I would enjoy the company for a time, if your companions don't have objections. I've always enjoyed the company of paladins though I have never met a follower of the elf god." Karos waits after this hoping to hears introductions and silently wondering to himself if this is truly what had him out on the road this morning.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive during conversation: (1d20+8)[24]
    Last edited by bchilders; 2007-12-17 at 11:13 PM.
    And you've got these f***ing claws and these fangs man And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs and you're thinking, you're thinking to yourself, I dont know what to do man....I don't know how to kill the bunny With this you don't know how to kill the bunny

26. - Top - End - #326

BardGuy

Kaz

Kaz eyes the newcomer with slight distrust; a well armed man on the road near an enemy army can't be a coincidence.
    "Well, I for one will always welcome another walking companion. As for the matter we travel on, we're simply delivering something to an area nearby. It's only that important to us messangers and the recipients."

Extending his hand, he says "Name's Kaz, nice to meet ya."

Spoiler
    Show
    Does a sense motive work on other pc's? I'll probably have to make a bluff check if it does.
    Last edited by Quxelopqr; 2007-12-17 at 11:16 PM.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Dagg

"Cuthbert? He's the one that's always going on crusades against things and stuff, right? Must be fun, eh? M'name's Dagg, of the Undershot clan." Dagg bows.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

Ozzgar the Wolf

The goblin, never taking his eyes off the sides of the road, calls out to the newcomer, "Ozz." and continues his inspection.

29. - Top - End - #329

WolfInSheepsClothing

Karos

Karos shakes Kaz's hand firmly and nods acknowledment to the others. "I understand the desire to keep you mission confidential. I wouldn't mind helping you through the area though because I know of ways through the woods that are not patrolled as of yet."

Spoiler
    Show
    I think a bluff check would only be in order if you were in fact lying
    Last edited by bchilders; 2007-12-18 at 01:15 PM.

30. - Top - End - #330

BardGuy

Kaz

Kaz brightens up at the words. "A way that they don't know yet? Sounds perfect for me, but how do I know you aren't leading us right into a trap?"