New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: The messengers

1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: The messengers

Dagg

Dagg, completely oblivious to whatever is beside the road, walks forward to the wagon, gives it a quick glance (only to see if there are still goods in it), then searches for tracks. Should he find none, he will return to the back of the group.

Search - (1d20-1)[7]
    The setting of Warhammer 40,000 can be summarized in one sentence: The most virtuous, naive, pure of heart, goody-two-shoes race... are basically space Nazis. Yeah.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

Eammon

Eammon points towards the source of the sound and tells his companions, "There is someone about."

Eammon glances quickly and Daffyd, then turns back to the source of the sound, stands up straight, bow readied but not aimed, and says, "Identify yourself. Be you friend or foe."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    hide (1d20+2=22) ...Whoo! Undisputed Invisibility! Spot and listen also: Spot/Listen (1d20+3=21, 1d20+3=19) As well, he has a sling loaded with a rock and the intent to magic stone it should the need arise to attack. But hell if he's giving away his position

Cannol

Of the group, the druid is the least talkative for all his boasting, something seems to have dampened his spirits for the time it takes them to travel, his badger likewise, a grumpy one at that, seems antisocial to the point the druid had to stave him away from growling at the others...

And now it's hard to even figure out where he went. With a nod to anyone who watched him he slipped into the trees and... and apparently went up in smoke. The badger trundles off after him.

Anticipating describes his mood, as he tucks his staff to the side and loads a sling with an ordinary rock, almost bristling with the chance for action.
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ozzgar can find a number of tracks around the wagon, altough the recent rain washed away most of them. Ozz can see that the rain gathered in the deep, human footprints, who were running around all the ways, it's hard to tell where did they go. Also there are other footprints, lighter than human ones, and have a disturbing, animalistic character.

There's also something in one of the puddles that resembles blood.

In the wagon, there's a crate that was opened by force, and it's empty now.

Everyone with a spot check better than 20 will see the samll figures in the fog, appearing everywhere around you, but disappearing back into the for in an instant when you notice them. You can't guess their numbers or their nature, but you're sure that there are more than six of them, hiding in the forest adn the dense fog.
    Troubles in Athkatla, an FR game about schemings around an ancient curse
    The messengers, a game about finding allies in times of need

Sorry about the lack of posting lately. I usually try to post once a day, but if it's server downtime, I'm in trouble.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Ozzgar the Wolf

The goblin finishes his investigation, then turns back to the others and directs his thoughts to Dafydd and Kaz. "Humans, er tha like, attact by lighter creatures wit' beast-like prints. A little blood 'ere," he points at the puddle with blood in it.

"Ah think it happen't durin' tha rains, oth'rwise tha prints wouldnae ha' been so deep. Scared folks tend ta leave deep prints."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming my earlier Spot check (=20) applies and thus I missed by 1, otherwise let me know and I'll reroll it OOC.
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2007-08-31 at 03:24 PM.
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

6. - Top - End - #66

BardGuy

Kaz

Kaz retreats to the wagon slowly, keeping his bow close. To his companions by the wagon he whispers "Guys, I think theres at least 6 or 7 of the little things Ozz mentioned nearby. I can't tell what they are but I think it's safe to say that they probably aren't friendly. Kaz slightly lowers his bow, trying to lure whatever's out there into thinking his guard is down.
    Last edited by Quxelopqr; 2007-08-31 at 02:37 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67

Lorrick

Spot: (1d20+7)[8]
    Track: (1d20+9)[10]

Lorrick is mostly oblivious to what's going on around him as he sorts through the wagon wreckage, his sword still in hand. When the comment about the others is made, Lorrick begins to look around, watching the fog intently, unable to see what's apparently in front of him.
    Last edited by mdsoze; 2007-08-31 at 03:24 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68

Dafydd

"Cannol, if you're...around..." Dafydd obviously can't see the druid, "umm...I don't suppose you can do anything about this fog? I think we're about to be attacked by something. Dagg, you and I take point, everyone else, look for some cover." Dafydd stands resolutely, sword drawn, ready to rip into their mysterious assailants. "Whatever lurks beyond, this is your last chance to avail yourselves, we will hold no quarter unless you come forth peacefully!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Dafydd readies an attack at the first thing to come at him, rolls in ooc, cuz this is an edit.
    Last edited by obliged_salmon; 2007-08-31 at 03:26 PM.
    Proud Happy Biscuit (TM) salesman

avatar: Fence the gypsy halfling rogue by Sampi

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

"If I was capable o' that I doubt I'd need your help." calls a voice from somewhere in the woods; giving you a general idea of his position but not a pin point. They'll probably not have anything in 'em to change it either so we're on an even keil...
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

10. - Top - End - #70

Eammon

Eammon moves behind a corner of the wagon from which he can still see Daffyd and Dagg, casts Mage Armor on himself, and knocks an arrow in his bow.

He whispers to the raven in elven, "Go now. Hide in the wagon until it is safe."

OOC for the next round if needed:
    Initiative: 3
    Listen: [roll]1d20+5[/roll]
    Spot: [roll]1d20+5[/roll]

You know one day this will work for me...rolled in OOC thread

Listen: (1d20+5)[7]
    Spot: (1d20+6)[18]
    Last edited by ag30476; 2007-08-31 at 03:52 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Dagg

Dagg readies to charge as soon as he can more clearly see one of the things, unless they answer Dafydd.

"Anyone have any idea of what they are? Or, why they would attack us?" Father, Grandfather, lend me your strength. May we kill many of our enemies this day, and send these vermin back into their holes.
    The setting of Warhammer 40,000 can be summarized in one sentence: The most virtuous, naive, pure of heart, goody-two-shoes race... are basically space Nazis. Yeah.

12. - Top - End - #72

The total silence is broken by high-pitched screaming noises coming from all around you. You see the hideous monsters jumping out from the fog, running towards you. You cannot discern wether they are humanoid or animal, but they do not carry any weapons or wear clothes, but their fangs look dangerous. They look like twisted, mutated humanoids, probably the most ugly beings you've encountered so far. They can stand on their hind legs for a time, but they use all the four for running right now. They are likely to be about the size of a dwarf, altough not even that massive. As you quickly glance around, you can see at least eight of them surrounding you.

It seems they didn't notice Cannol hiding in the bushes next to the road, and all of them are moving towards those near the wagon.

/ You can make knowledge checks if you'd like to know something about these creatures. Other than that, it's battle time. I need initiatives and first round actions. No surprise rounds, both sides were well aware of the other's presence. If you beat them on the initiative (their is 6), you can assume that they are 30 feet away from you. Also, you could do me a favour posting your HP/AC along with your initiaitive/actions.

Sorry about the lack of posting lately. I usually try to post once a day, but if it's server downtime, I'm in trouble.

13. - Top - End - #73

Dafydd
    HP: 21 AC: 18

Dafydd stifles his revulsion at the sight of these creatures and shouts at the nearest one, "If you mean to fight, then fight me, if you dare!" He keeps his sword and shield at ready for their charge.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dafydd will use a move action to attempt to goad the nearest opponent into using melee attacks only on him on its next turn (will negates DC 13), and standard action to ready an attack at the first creature to approach him. If his initiative is lower than the creatures', he will use the attack readied in my previous post at the first to approach. If none approached him, he will move to attack the nearest one on his turn.

initiative - (1d20)[11]
    attack - (1d20+6)[20]
    damage - (1d8+3)[8]

14. - Top - End - #74

Lorrick

General Info
    HP: 19
    AC: 15

From the OOC thread
    Knowledge Nature: 13
    Init: 14

..... (Actions made irrelevant by edit)

EDIT: Seeing those who act quicker charge into battle, Lorrick will follow suit, brandishing his longsword, and attacking one of them.

Attack (rolled in OOC thread): 24
    Damage (rolled in OOC thread): 6 (+2 if these things are 'orcs')

He will now apply his dodge bonus to the one he hit, if it is still standing, else to the closest one to the end of his movement.
    Last edited by mdsoze; 2007-09-04 at 11:35 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Cannol
    HP:12
    AC:15

The druid is practical; not yet giving away his position he merely bides his badger to wait as he loads up an enchanted stone into his sling, another pair of the stones loaded with the same magic in wait...

16. - Top - End - #76

Eammon

Though tense with anticipation of his first fight, Eammon still thinks clearly. If I can catch more than 1 attacker in a 15 ft. cone burst without hitting a friend, then I will cast Color Spray, DC 14.

If I can only target 1 attacker or I may hit a friend with the burst, then I'll shoot my bow at the one charging me or at the one nearest me.

AC with mage armor 17, touch 13, flat-footed 14
    HP 13
    Knowledge nature (1d20+2)[15]
    Initiative (1d20+3)[5]

For bow attack
    Attack including Point Blank Shot bonus (1d20+5)[25]
    Damage including Point Blank Shot bonus (1d8+1)[8]

If needed
    Critical confirmation (1d20+5)[25]
    Critical damage (1d8+1)[9]

17. - Top - End - #77

BardGuy

Kaz

Kaz sees the wierd looking creatures and readys his bow, preparing to fire at the first one that comes close.

HP: 12
    AC: 16

Initiative: (d20+7)[17]
    Bow Attack: (d20+5)[11]
    Damage: (d6+1)[2]

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Dagg

With a yell of "Flee my wrath, misshapen abominations of the earth!" Dagg rushes the closest group of monkey-like things.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative - (1d20+2)[20]

HP:31
    AC:14 (12 if charging)

If an enemy is within 20 feet at the start of Dagg's turn, he will take a move action and attack with both weapons. If they are farther than 20 feet, he will charge. In both cases, he starts raging.

1st Attack - (1d20)[14] (+6 if charging, +8 if not)
    2nd Attack - (1d20+5)[25] (only counts if Dagg isn't charging)

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll=Damage]1d10+5[/roll]
    Last edited by Dethcom1; 2007-09-03 at 01:08 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Ozzgar the Wolf
    HP: 16/16; AC: 17, touch 14, flat 14

Ozz quickly pulls an additional arrow and nocks it together with the first. He draws the string back and looses the arrows at the same creature. "Och! Ya harry li'l man-beasts! B'GONE!" The goblin roars as he takes a step towards the wagon to cover his back.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+3)[16]
    Knowledge (nature): (1d20+9)[19]
    Full-Attack Action: Rapid Shot + Point Blank Shot.
    Arrow#1: (1d20+6)[20]
    Arrow#2: (1d20+6)[19]
    Damage#1: (1d6+2)[8]
    Damage#2: (1d6+2)[8]
    5'-step back towards wagon; I think this should leave my back against the wagon.
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2007-09-04 at 10:05 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80

Dagg is the first to react. The dwarf runs towards the beasts with his axe, and aims at one of the creatures. His strike is powerful, and the creature he attacked collpses to what it's most likely a knee, but it still breathes! It jumps up, and attack the dwarf. Dagg evades it's arms easily, but he didn't counted on the beast atually trying to bite him. The beasts foul teeth penetrate the thick dwarf skin, and tear his flesh! (3 damage, fort save succeed)

Instead of charging, Kaz remains at the wagon, and let's an arrow fly, aimed ata second creature. But these monsters move fast, and the fog makes them even harder to hit. Kaz's arrow flies into the white fog and disappears.

Ozzgar stands next to the human, and lets two arrows fly. The goblin is incredibly skilled with the bow, and even the fog doesn't tricks his aim. Both arrows hit, and a creature collapse onto the ground.

Lorrick strikes out as well, and drives his sword into an attacking monster. It screems wildly as it grips the blade and pulls it out from it's own chest! It attacks the man with it's claws and bite, but Lorrick was able to evade them both.

Cannol the northen druid is nowhere to be seen as he prepares his magical attack.

Daffydd shouts at the monsters, and one of them indeed charges the paladin. The creature reaches Dafydd surprisingly fast, and it's vile fangs only miss the wild elf with inches! Dafydd riposts, and wound the beast badly on it's shoulder.

Further beasts come out of the fog, and attack those who are near them. Dagg is attacked by another beast appearin from the fog, and it hit's the dwarf at the side with it's powerful hand. It's claws tear into the dwarf's skin (5 damage).

Lorrick finds that he attracted another beast as well, but his lighning reflexes saved him from a painful claw attack.

Four creatures appear from the fog, it's getting hard to tell who's friend or foe in the dense fog.

Eammon can't find a clear target for his spell since the battle is already raging, so he shoots at one of the monsters with his bow. The elf's accuracy with the bow is supreme, his shot penetrates a monster's skull, and drops it dead.

Spoiler
    Show
    (Fog rules: There are a number of creatures around you, it's hard to keep track of them. Anyone firing more than 20" away has to make a spot check DC15 to identify if the target's friend or foe. Do not make this roll in advance if you can.)

(Directions: The gibberlings surrounded you and attack from all direction. I need you to tell retroactively which direction you shoot or charge. (North, Northeast, East, etc, the wagon is our base point.) Sorry for not asking for you this one post earlier.)

(Anyone who beat the knowledge DC 15 for the gibberlings, have hard of them. They are uncivilised monsters living in the edges of civilisations. Their origins are unknown, everyone blames the others for these evil creatures. Nabarrians say the invaders brought it along, the invaders say it's a Nabarrian monster, Elves say that they are mutated dwarf zombies, dwarves say that they are demon-infested elves. Every culture has it's own name for these creature, and they are mostly referred to as Gibberlings in common. Gibberlings are cunning predators as a horde, but individually they are not much smarter than animals. It seems that they can understand common, but no reports of speaking gibberlings were heard. They are around for a few centuries, but only in remote areas, they were absolutely non-expected to be this close to a city. Physically, they have the capabilities of an able-bodied human or dwarf. Their bite is poisoned.)

Initiative order:

Dagg (20) 30" away from the wagon
    Kaz (17)
    Ozzgar (16)
    Lorrick (14) 30" away from the wagon
    Cannol (12)
    Dafydd (11)
    Gibberlings (6)
    Eammon (5)
    Last edited by amanodel; 2007-09-04 at 03:41 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81

Dafydd

Dafydd, having tremendous difficulty seeing ahead of him, decides he will try to keep the attention of the beast which attacked him (which he can clearly see) on himself, rather than his nearby companions, so utters a challenge at it, "Wayward creature, you haven't a CHANCE at besting me!" He then raises his sword up high, calling the power of Corellan Lorethian into it, and strikes at the gibberling fiercely.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dafydd uses goad against the gibberling which attacked him, and attempts to smite evil it.

attack - (1d0)[1] +8 if smiteable, +6 if not
    damage - (1d8)[6] +5 if smiteable, +3 if not

looks like I forgot a 2 there...posting the attack roll to ooc then.

Oh, if the critter is dead by his turn, he attempts to smite the next nearest one.
    Last edited by obliged_salmon; 2007-09-04 at 04:25 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82

Eammon

Eammon is a study in quiet concentration aiming his bow as if he were shooting at the targets he practiced on countless of times over the years. As soon as his arrow hits its mark, he looks for another target.

If Eammon spots another Gibberling and can positively identify it is not a party member he will shoot again, whispering in elven as he lets the arrow fly, "Swift death to my enemy".

Spot and attack rolls
    Spoiler
    Show

Spot (vs DC 15) (1d20+6)[18]

Add +1 to below if target is within 30 ft.
    Attack (1d20+4)[23]
    Damage (1d8)[5]

If needed, again add +1 to below if target is within 30 ft.
    Crit Confirm (1d20+4)[13]
    Crit Damage (1d8)[6]
    Crit Damage (1d8)[4]

If he can't positively identify a target, he lowers his bow momentarily with a look of consternation in his face. His father always told him, "Don't shoot unless you are sure."

Eammon gestures strangely with his free hand and utters in elven "Light upon the foe."

Spoiler
    Show

Eammon here casts Dancing Lights to set 4 white globes in front of him, away from Dagg and Lorrick if possible, centered about 40 ft. The lights should give torch illumination in a 40 ft. x 40 ft' square.

If he gets charged and can't get off his shot, then he fends of the beastie as best he can.
    Spoiler
    Show

Using bow as improvised club -2 1d6+1x2
    Attack [roll]1d20-2[/roll]
    Damage [roll]1d6+1[/roll]

If needed
    Crit Confirm [roll]1d20-2[/roll]
    Crit Damage [roll]1d6+1[/roll]

To amanodel: just roll it for me if need or I can roll later.
    Last edited by ag30476; 2007-09-04 at 07:42 PM.
    Arena Initiate Referee

23. - Top - End - #83

BardGuy

Kaz

HP: 12 AC: 16

Kaz nocks another arrow, slightly annoyed at missing with the first one. He picks a new target, preferably one that hasn't yet been engaged and close enough that he can see it. If the closest target is in the fog, he'll shoot anyway.

Spot:(d20+9)[27]
    Attack:(d20+5)[22]
    Damage:(d6+1)[2]

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Dagg

AC:14 HP:23

Seemingly oblivious to the wounds he has suffered, Dagg laughs maniacally and declares to the gibberlings, "After I slay you I'll use your skulls as mugs! I'll find every singly one of your horde and burn them all to death! None shall escape my wrath!"

He tries to take down both gibberlings at once.

Spoiler
    Show
    He attacks the injured one with his off-hand first.
    Off-Hand Attack - (1d20+3)[5]
    Off-Hand Damage - (1d10+5)[10]

If he takes down the injured one, he'll attack the new gibberling with his main hand. If not, he'll again attempt to kill the first.
    Main-Hand Attack - (1d20+4)[13]
    Main-Hand Damage - (1d10+5)[15]

25. - Top - End - #85

Lorrick

HP:19
    AC:15

Lorrick snarls as he is attacked by two of the beasts.

He strikes again at the one he already wounded, hoping to kill it. If he does, he will apply his dodge bonus to the other one, if not, it will stay on the first creature.

Attack: (1d20+7)[12]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[5]

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Ozzgar the Wolf
    Round 2--> HP: 16/16; AC: 17, touch 14, flat 14

The red-skinned goblin pulls two more arrows from his quiver and launches them in quick succession at the next closest creature to the north. Those closest to him can hear a low and persistent growl issuing from his throat.

Spoiler
    Show
    Full-Attack Action: Rapid Shot + Point Blank Shot. If not within 30', subtract 1 from all rolls.
    Arrow#1: (1d20+6)[25]
    Arrow#2: (1d20+6)[21]
    Damage#1: (1d6+2)[8]
    Damage#2: (1d6+2)[4]
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2007-09-05 at 03:50 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87

Dagg attack his opponents, but the gibberlings are just too fast, and they can evade the dwarf's attacks. They both attack the dwarf, and hit him with their clawed fists (further 2 and 5 damage).

Kaz hits one of the monsters with his arrow on the leg. The creature screams in pain, but doesn't stop, and with two long jumps, it reaches Kaz, and attacks the human. Luckily, Kaz can evade the blow easily.

Ozzgar lets another two arrows fly. He hits again, sending another monster into oblivion. But another one makes his way past the killing arrows, and attacks the goblin. The mostrous maw cuts into Ozzgar's flesh, injuring the archer badly (4 damage).

Lorrick, surrounded by two gibberlings, try to fight them back, but the fast-moving creatures are not an easy target, and he misses. The creatres attack the man, but it seems Lorrick is even more evasive then the monsters, and none manages to hit him.

From his hidden position, Cannol lets a magically enhanced bullet fly, but in the dense fog, he misses the gibberling he was aiming for.

Daffyd shouts in elven, calling aid from beyond. You can see the paladin's sword radiate with amber light before attacking the monster. The attack is of ferocious power, and the wild elf cuts the beast in two!

A gibberling appears from the fog just behind Daffyd, but the paladin blocks the creatures's attack.

Eammon can see Dagg's in trouble. He can identify the siluette of the gibberling, and lets an arrow fly. The well-aimed arrow drops one of Dagg's opponents down.

There are six gibberlings remaining. Two is fighting with Lorrick, one is engaged in meelee with Dagg, one is attacking Daffyd, another one just reached Ozzgar, and the last one is facing Kaz.

Dagg (20) 30" away from the wagon
    Kaz (17)
    Ozzgar (16)
    Lorrick (14) 30" away from the wagon
    Cannol (12)
    Dafydd (11)
    Gibberlings (6)
    Eammon (5)

28. - Top - End - #88

Dafydd

Dafydd takes a moment to check the battlefield. He squints, and sees what looks like blood dripping from the figure that was probably Dagg, in the distance, surrounded by two opponents. He then looks to see some of the creatures pressing against his other companions. He shouts back at them, in the manner of a commanding officer, "Don't let them surround you, try to keep close ranks!" He himself swats at the gibberling behind him and moves toward the group with his bleeding comrade.

Spoiler
    Show
    If I need to make a spot check to determine if I actually can tell which group has Dagg in it:
    spot - (1d20+3)[14]

Smack the gibberling that just attacked me:
    attack - (1d20+6)[19]
    damage - (1d8+3)[4]

Move 20 ft toward the nearest of Dagg's opponents, taking as few AoO's as possible.

If both of the gibberlings around Dagg are dead by his turn, he will stay put.
    Last edited by obliged_salmon; 2007-09-09 at 01:41 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Dagg

Dagg barely notices the arrow, only, in his rage-fueled state, seeing the gibberling disappear, and not thinking further. He focuses his attention on the remaining foe, and attempts to take it out at once.

Spoiler
    Show
    AC:14 HP:16

Both attacks on the remaining gibberling.
    [roll=Attack Roll (Main Hand)]1d20+4[/roll]
    [roll=Damage Roll (Main Hand)]1d10+5[/roll]
    [roll=Attack Roll (Off-Hand)]1d20+3[/roll]
    [roll=Damage Roll (Off-Hand)]1d10+5[/roll]

* post roll count doesn't match database

30. - Top - End - #90

Eammon

Not wanting to hit a friend with an arrow by accident, Eammon draws his word and waits until he can sort out the confusion in the meelee ((OOC: cause I can't act anyway ))

When his turn comes, Eammon will attack one of the gibberlings that remain, charging if possible. He will attack the gibberling facing the party member that seems to him to need the most help, in order preference that would be Ozz, Dagg, Kaz, Lorrick, and Daffyd ( no true elven paladin needs help ).

Spoiler
    Show

AC 17 with mage armor, 15 if charging

Attack (1d20+3)[14] add +2 if able to charge
    Damage (1d8+1)[7]

Crit Confirm (1d20+3)[6]
    Crit Damage (1d8+1)[2]

Last edited by ag30476; 2007-09-09 at 06:14 PM.
    Arena Initiate Referee