New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: The messengers

1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: The messengers

Dagg

Dagg sits down by the side of the road and nods at Kaz. "If there's gold to be had, let's have at it."
    The setting of Warhammer 40,000 can be summarized in one sentence: The most virtuous, naive, pure of heart, goody-two-shoes race... are basically space Nazis. Yeah.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Kaz

"Alright then. Let's get this puppy open." Kaz sets the box down and pulls out his tools.

Open Lock: (d20+10)[20]

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kaz tries to open the small metal box, but the circumstances are not in his favor, and he couldn't open the lock. Perhaps another time, with better illumintation, it will easily open to the nimble fingers of Kaz.
    Troubles in Athkatla, an FR game about schemings around an ancient curse
    The messengers, a game about finding allies in times of need

Sorry about the lack of posting lately. I usually try to post once a day, but if it's server downtime, I'm in trouble.

4. - Top - End - #124

BardGuy

Kaz

Kaz looks at the box, squints, looks at it again, and sighs. "Is it okay with you guys if i crack this open tomorrow? It's a tad bit too dark to see properly right now."

5. - Top - End - #125

Eammon

"This is a place of death. We should move from here. We can make the village as night falls but we will have to be vigilant."
    Last edited by ag30476; 2007-09-16 at 12:54 AM.
    Arena Initiate Referee

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Dagg

Dagg stands up again, begins hustling down the road, and calls back, "If we're going, let's hurry. I don't especially fancy blundering about in the dark."

He'll fall to the back of the group again when everyone keeps pace.
    Last edited by Dethcom1; 2007-09-16 at 05:16 AM.
    The setting of Warhammer 40,000 can be summarized in one sentence: The most virtuous, naive, pure of heart, goody-two-shoes race... are basically space Nazis. Yeah.

7. - Top - End - #127

Dafydd

"Onward, friends. Bring the box along, it may even belong to one of these outlying villages.Let's all get back into marching order." Dafydd waits for Ozz to go ahead, and begins heading in their initial direction.
    Proud Happy Biscuit (TM) salesman

avatar: Fence the gypsy halfling rogue by Sampi

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Ozzgar the Wolf
    HP: 16/16; AC: 17, touch 14, flat 14

The goblin nods to Dafydd as he takes point once more, longbow in hand and arrow nocked, though undrawn. "Aye, let's quit this place and git moovin', nae?" he says as he passes the others. "We git throo' th' forest an' there's a village ahead we could rest in fer th' night if'n we choose. Or we could press oon a lit'l past an' camp. What'll it be?"
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2007-09-17 at 11:05 AM.
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

9. - Top - End - #129

Lorrick

Lorrick goes with the group, resuming his previous duty.

10. - Top - End - #130

BardGuy

Kaz

"I prefer the town. If there's more of those things around I won't want to fight them in the dark." Kaz takes up his normal spot in the marching order and goes wth the group.

11. - Top - End - #131

After you defeated the gibberlings, you continue your travel on the road. The wet, muddy road slows you down, but eventually you reach the village by midnight.

This small settlement, Tuskinhoe, is an agricultural one, mostly peasants live here. You can tell this by simply looking at the houses. There are no torches or lanterns in the town, but the crescent moon enlights your way just enough. Between the peasant's houese you find some wealthier ones, and judging by the tools around, these dwellings must belong to the craftsmen of the settlement.

At the centre of the village, three buildings stand. A single temple, dedicated to the most common human deities, the arbiter's house, and a tavern. No light comes from either of the buildings, everyone's asleep.

Sorry about the lack of posting lately. I usually try to post once a day, but if it's server downtime, I'm in trouble.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Ozzgar the Wolf
    HP: 16/16; AC: 17, touch 14, flat 14

Ozz spits off the side of the road as he notices there are no lights within the village. "Och! Ah hate mood! Slow'd us doon soo mooch! Woodn't be th' firs' time Ah slept ootside, but 's yer call, friends. Rouse th' keeper er move on?"
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

13. - Top - End - #133

Dafydd

"Perhaps the local priest would be kind enough to give us shelter this eve." Dafydd walks up to the temple and knocks somewhat noisily on the door. If none answer within a few minutes, he'll try to open the door and call softly for someone to receive them.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Dagg

Dagg relaxes slightly as he enters the town, and stares indifferently at the temple. "Aren't human deities ridiculously bloodthirsty? Why would one of their priests give us shelter? We'd probably end up on one of their crazy holy wars." He thinks about this for a moment. "Not that that wouldn't be interesting."

15. - Top - End - #135

Eammon

"How kind would you be if seven armed strangers came upon midnight to your village?" Yet it is not the villagers I fear. The ill omen follows us still." Eammon says to no one in particular.

As Daffyd raps on the door, Eammon turns and scans the surrounding village as far as his acute elven eyesight allows him.

And the bird? Sleeping somewhere in Eammon's backpack.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

Spot (1d20+6)[15]
    Listen (1d20+5)[17]
    Last edited by ag30476; 2007-09-18 at 05:00 PM.
    Arena Initiate Referee

16. - Top - End - #136

Lorrick

I'd favor sleeping on the edge of the village. It will provide shelter, or at least distraction, if something happens upon us.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Dagg

Jovially looking at Eammon, Dagg says, "I'd be pretty damn accommodating to them, I'd say! You can never tell what crazy business armed midnight travelers are up to."

He scans the edge of town. trying to predict whether the weather will turn worse.

Spoiler
    Show
    Survival check to predict the weather.
    (1d20+7)[20]
    Last edited by Dethcom1; 2007-09-19 at 05:39 AM.

18. - Top - End - #138

BardGuy

Kaz

Kaz laughs after Dagg's remark. "Good point you got there. I'd take 'em in too. If no one's at the temple I'm alright with sleeping nearby the town."
    Last edited by Quxelopqr; 2007-09-19 at 08:52 AM.

19. - Top - End - #139

Dagg assumes, due to the lack of clouds, that no rain will fall during the night, but the morning will be very cold.

After Daffyd knocks on the door, a minute passes when you can hear someone moving around. Soon, a lean middle-aged human opens the door. He has long, black hair, almost unnaturely pale face, and tired-looking grey eyes.

Why do you had to wake me up from my dream? - he almost succeds to speak without any tone. His face is also rather emotionless as he examines your group.

20. - Top - End - #140

Dafydd

Dafydd frowns at the emotionless man, but quickly takes on a more diplomatic demeanor. "Good sir, please, we apologize for the late hour, but we are an envoy from Wolverineton in the east. We have been marching all day, were attacked in the forest by some foul creatures, some of us are lightly wounded. Is there room for us in this temple to rest?" At the same time, he watches the man carefully, trying to detect any oddness or unnatural behaviors.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dafydd will be diplomatic at the man, and will detect evil at the surronding buildings and the temple.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Dagg

Dagg shakes his head sadly. "Now you've done it. He's probably one of those killer death priests. Break all our bones with a single punch, he can. We're goners. I tried to warn you. He'll paralyze us and have our meat for soup. It happened to my uncle's great-cousin's friend's grandson."

22. - Top - End - #142

The ghastly man stares at the wild elf with his usual, cold face.

What does this place look like to you? Shelter for wayward elves? Charity center? Or do you think this is the tavern and I'm the barkeeper?

His tone is no longer emotionless, it has somthing in it. Now he is somewhat unfriendly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Daffydd can sense a small amount of evil present in the man. But he is a priest of the god of Death, after all.

To recieve hospitality, it requires a diplomacy, bluff, or similar check. If you succeed very well, you may recieve even better treatment.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Dagg

Somewhat surprised at the life that the party members continue to evince, Dagg glances inside the church. "Is it a tavern? No, no, that would be too lucky. No, this priest probably has some sort of gigantic magical weapon capable of killing ten people in a single blow, ready to use it against us to satiate the dark hunger of his god." He looks up hopelessly at the priest. "Show us mercy! We are but humble travelers, many of us non-elven, though it is unsurprising that your eyesight should fail you considering how many men you surely must have slain, seeking shelter from the cold night! Do not slaughter us, lest our unworthy blood offend your deity!" For good measure, he shouts out "Moradin save us!"

24. - Top - End - #144

BardGuy

Kaz

Kaz lacks his usual smile as the priest talks. Pulling Daffyd aside for a moment he says quietly "I don't like the look of this guy very much. He doesn't seem trustworthy to me. Maybe we would be better off rousing the tavern owner or even sleeping outside." He then looks toward Dagg and then at the priest and says "Don't mind our dwarven friend here. He's probably still a little spooked from the fight."

25. - Top - End - #145

Dafydd

Dafydd frowns and considers Kaz's words. "Truly, for a bed right now I would sacrifice much, but I think you right in this. I say also we should press onward and camp outside of town. It seems most here were of that bent anyway." Finding a consensus (presumably), Dafydd nods toward the priest, apologizes for disturbing him, and gestures for the others to follow him out of town in the opposite direction from which they arrived.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Dagg

Dagg will agree to sleeping outside, and as he leaves the presence of the priest, looks visibly relieved. "Spooked? Yeah, but not from the fight. I've heard stories about priests, that train all their lives to kill people, and are masters of hand-to-hand combat. Not to say that we all couldn't handle ourselves well, but these stories... They move faster than arrows, and can break every bone in a man's body with a single punch. I'm telling you, we're lucky to escape him alive."

Dagg looks back every so often to see if the priest is following the group, and clenches and unclenches his fists continuously.

27. - Top - End - #147

BardGuy

Kaz

Kaz regards Dagg's comments with a smile and a slight bit of disbelief. "Heh, I only said that to make sure the priest wouldn't get too angry. Breakin every bone in one shot though? That sounds pretty tough to me. I've never met a priest that could do that." As he looks around at the night, he adds "More importantly, will some of us be taking watch tonight? I'd volunteer but I can't see all too well at night."

28. - Top - End - #148

Eammon

"First the beasts that attacked us. Now this priest. The journey ahead looks bleak. Aye Dagg, we'll need Moradin and Larethian's help indeed. We elves don't need to sleep much. I'll take a watch." Eammon says and looks expectantly towards Daffyd.
    Last edited by ag30476; 2007-09-24 at 09:59 AM.
    Arena Initiate Referee

29. - Top - End - #149

Off with you, then. - The priest says, and closes the door.

You leave the temple behind, and go to the edge of the town, where you find a good for the night's rest.

30. - Top - End - #150

Eammon

As the company gathers in the morning, Eammon says "Let's be off, away from this town and its...unfriendly...priest."
    Arena Initiate Referee