Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Caerwent Falls

1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Caerwent Falls

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    For some reason, your rolls are just showing up as (1d20+3)[18] and (1d20+3)[6], which doesn't tell me what the rolls actually are. I don't know why it did that. So I guess I'll reroll them for you?
    Barrier: (1d20+3)[6]
    Contraption: (1d20+3)[18]

I'm also not really sure what contraption you're trying to identify. Do you just mean all the stuff on the walls?

2. - Top - End - #62

BlackDragon

Spoiler: OOC-Results
    Show

You are unable to determine the way of putting up or down the energy barrier.

You probably know a good deal about operating the "contraption", but I'm still waiting for some clarification from you about what you mean by that.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Show
    Weird. Your rolls showed as blanks. By contraption, I did mean the tower as a whole.

4. - Top - End - #64

BlackDragon

In general, the towers controls seem related to the giant burning ball of flame out there. You can figure out that some of them can move it while others can cause it to burn hotter or colder or grow larger or shrink smaller. Some change the color of its light. Actually determining how to do each thing with precision might be more difficult.

As you're looking, you find something else. A code beneath the code. A virus? There are devices present that don't seem to go with the original structure. Some of them are hooked into other controls while others just seem to be generally present. It's hard to tell what it all means, but it seems like something is tied in with the functions of the tower. Something that's transmitting out. It's probably just a data feed, but it's hard to say for sure.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

"Odd..." I say under my breath as I can't figure out how to operate the energy barrier. No matter.

"These devices together seem to be controlling the light. I wonder if it's meant to be that eerie blue," I say to Aelianna, my eyes still on the devices. "Do you want to check out the upper level? I want to try something here."

Show
    So, I'm going to try to interact witht the device to try to stop the virus.
    Int+Numenera+Effort: (1d20+6)[8]

6. - Top - End - #66

BlackDragon

Your arm (and any other ghost-scarred parts of your body) seem to lock up as pain shoots through them. Datasphere images flash in a rapid strobe before you. Most of them are gone too fast to make out.

"WHO ARE YOU?" an angry female voice demands, echoing in your mind. "HOW DARE YOU INTERFERE WITH MY WORK!"

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

"Ahh!" I cry out loud as I put my fingers behind my ear to my implant where the pain is sharpest. As I try to focus through the pain, through the intrusion, I reply, "What work? I'm trying to fix things."

8. - Top - End - #68

BlackDragon

"Something wrong down there?" Aeliana calls down from up above.

"You're lucky that I'm currently occupied," the other voice snarls. "When I am done here, I will be coming there to undo whatever damage you have done. For your survival, I recommend being elsewhere."

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

I pull away from the console hoping to make some kind of disconnection. "Uh, not so much. I think I just connected with the Emerald Magus through the Datasphere. She'll be coming this way. Apparently, I interupted something that she's doing here." I make towards Aelianna, and climb the tower. "She's apparently occupied at the moment but we shouldn't stay too long."

10. - Top - End - #70

BlackDragon

After Castle of Betrayal, Part 1

Time: Past
    Major Region: Lands of the Dawn
    Nation: Sol Rumnar

A stone path runs through the broken and barren landscape. It's a path that seems...somewhat familiar to you. It's not unlike the Wandering Walk, although you've never been to this section of it before.

The ground here is often stark, twisted (often impossibly), and filled with chaotic and unexpected chasms and ridges. In the distance you can see towering black mountains. An oily black rain drips from the sky over the wasteland here. A little ways away, up the path, is Aeliana.

"Oh," she says when she sees you. "After your last disappearance, I wasn't sure if or when I'd be seeing you again. To catch you up, the Emerald Magus, or, at least, a teleporting nano that I assume was her, appeared shortly after you left. If it hadn't been for your warning, I would have been in there when she showed up. Who knows what would have happened then. Later I met up with Lanzo in Challister. I guess he had been brought here in a knightship. He'd been with another champion, but that champion, and his knightship got captured. Get this, they weren't taken by uraeyl, but by other humans. I guess there were automatons with the humans too. But, I mean, humans kidnapping a champion, that's sort of crazy. But besides that, no one should be able to move a knightship besides champions of Caerwent. Lanzo said that he'd managed to take apart one of the automatons, and that he traced a signal it was sending or receiving to Xome. I guess that was why he went out there. I told Lanzo I'd help him find his kidnapped companion. I went to Chostal, which is near where Lanzo said the other champion was taken. At first, I was thinking probably bandits in the Levenal Wood, but the people of Chostal seemed to think that there is an evil army of humans and automatons growing down here, so I decided to check that out. And here I am.

"Anyway, what have you been up to?"

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

"It's good to see you Aelianna. I'm glad to see that you made it out alive. I hope that uou didn't think that I abandoned you there. The method I use for teleportation is temperamental, at best." I say with a smile.

"It sounds like you have been busy. I have been Iscobal chasing an assassin through the underground city."

Turning my attention to the matter at hand, "Lanzo's excuse is plausible. Which champion are we searching for?"

12. - Top - End - #72

BlackDragon

"Pallav," she answered. "I don't know if you'd have heard of him.

"I don't think we're very far from the place we're going, but we need to be careful. You thought the killer plants were bad; they've got nothing on some of the monsters out here."

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

I get a lump in my throat at hearing the name. Grandpa? I start to speak, but nothing comes out. I clear my throat, and say, "No, I don't believe I've had the pleasure. Can you describe him for me?"

14. - Top - End - #74

BlackDragon

"I haven't really worked with him much myself," she answers. "Seems nice though. Maybe a bit quiet. Family man, although I think his family is not in the city. I haven't really asked about it. I always feel like that sort of thing is pretty personal, you know? But anyway, seems best to rescue him, especially if he's got a kid at home waiting for him."

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

"I agree. We should go help him." I say with concern.

16. - Top - End - #76

BlackDragon

Aeliana's guidance leads you off the Wandering Walk and across the wilds of Sor Rumnar. Your travels are fairly uneventful, but not for lack of trying. You saw numerous abhumans, most of breeds you've not seen before. There were other creatures as well, odd and disruptive. Some, Aeliana warned, could disrupt numenera devices and even the datasphere itself. Others could cause horrible transformations in the environment and in creatures around them. At one point, you were almost struck by a serpent hanging from a low branch, but Aeliana guarded you from this attack. She claimed that if it had bit you, it would have causes pustules to appear on your flesh, which would quickly grow thorny tendrils that wrap around you, holding him fast and inflicting great pain. For the most part, however, you and Aeliana stayed away from the threats of Sor Rumnar.

You saw no towns or cities in your journey. No traces of civilization at all. That is, until you reached your destination.

A black structure formed of twisted black stone and shadow. It almost seemed like something natural to the wretched environment of the land you'd been traversing, except for the automatons that could be seen patrolling around it and the large metal dome at its peak.

"The Army of Fear," she whispered, gesturing towards the automatons below. "I knew there was an army growing out here, but I...well, I never imagined I'd see a FEAR-BOT in person..."

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

"My hero," I smirk when Aelianna protects me rrom the snake. As we continue to walk, I tell her about some of tge wonders I've seen on the Wandering Walk.

Army of Fear? I wonder as I look out on the scene.

Spoiler: ROLL
    Show
    Rolling for information on the Army of Fear. Intellect + History (1d20+3)[20]

18. - Top - End - #78

BlackDragon

Spoiler: Army of Fear-History
    Show

The Army of Fear was a notorious group of warriors, primarily made up of automatons. The most common type of automaton within the Army of Fear was known as a FEAR-BOT. However, more intimidating were the towering DREAD-BOTs They were a scourge upon the Steadfast, particularly Thaemor, Navarene, and Malevich a little more than 30 years before the "present." (Like the time when everyone is trying to bring back Caerwent which isn't where/when you currently are). Notable is the opposition that the forces of Caerwent played against the Army of Fear, with their members serving as the primary antagonists of numerous stories. The leader of the Army of Fear was a human man who went by the moniker 'The General of Dread.'

It is said that The General of Dread was killed by Artair in the final battle of Caerwent, but given the number of conflicting rumors about the final battle (including if such a battle ever took place), it's hard to say if there's any real merit to such stories.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

"Are you afraid of the FEAR-BOTs? Because we've walked through a forest of terrible monsters, and now, just through a waste of even worse things. Nothing seems to shake you." I ask Aelianna.

20. - Top - End - #80

BlackDragon

"Not afraid per say. Afterall, most of those monsters out there that we avoided could take on a handful of FEAR-bots no problem. But for those, we mostly went around and avoided them. The thing with the FEAR-bots here and now is that they are where we want to go, so it's harder to sneak around them. Also, there's an army of them, as opposed to one or two here and there."