New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Broken Shield I: The Walls of Myr Salien [IC]

PART I

The Lost Towns

The adventurers left Myr Salien two mornings past, along the Hill Road. Their journey has until now been without trouble.

The path before them was well paved, once upon a time. Now, weeds grow high between the stones and hardy roots have even cracked or dislodged some. Old ruts mark the road like deep wrinkles. Above, the early autumn sky is barely visible, hidden behind a canopy of entangled branches.

All around, the woods are thick and dark. They smell of damp and mold and danger. Despite this, birds sing and chirp in oblivious tone. The green of trees is lightly doted with a light autumn gold.

There's not much chance of reaching Dalshill today. Yet, tomorrow might be it. Tonight, the adventurers may need to set up a camp.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    At last!

The first town on the way is called Dalshill. Like the two other towns, Myr Salien received no news from them for at least a year. After Dalshill, you'll then need to go to both Greenfall and Laiba.

Before we press on, I need to know a few things:
    • I need to have a very general idea of the PC walking order. I don't need to get into details. I just need to know if someone is scouting in front of the party, and if so, have an idea of how far they are.
    • Is anyone watching for anything specific? I mean, I guess it's a bit early to ask you that, but hey, maybe some people might want to be wary of overly specific things, I don't know? #ParanoiaFuel
    • You might want to force the march during the night. Since you're only one day away from your next safe spot. Forcing the march now may get you there sooner. However, you'd arrive there with the fatigued condition.

You are free to discuss all these points IC, or actually any other subjects of interests or even random IC blater.

Don't forget that two NPC, Old Jorg and Young Case are with the party.

You are of course free to make skill rolls for anything relevant.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Broken Shield I: The Walls of Myr Salien [IC]

Show
    As the "leader" of this expedition, Hiigara would position himself at the front of the main group. If someone wanted to scout ahead, he would be against it, but would let them do what they wanted.
    He'd be on the lookout signs of Orcish activity, as well as if the road looks like it had been in use recently for normal travelers.
    Additionally, he'd keep an ear out for if the songs of the birds stopped.

Hiigara walks calmly at the front of the group, grateful they didn't have anything as cumbersome as a wagon with them. The damage to their path was becoming substantial, but the hooves of their two pack beasts easily traversed the uneven terrain. Listening to the steps of those around him, he grew uneasy for a moment. Belle was the only one who knew the truth about him in all the years since he'd left the Orcish world behind. It was a relief knowing there was someone he could trust holding his secret. The others, though, only knew Hiigara as a human and he was happy to keep it that way. He always worried that his disguises, while masterful, would come crashing down around him one day and spell his doom. Feigning chill in the failing light, Hiigara adjusts the hood around his head for a snug fit.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Kel Vas
    Some time towards evening, Kel Vas will begin looking for a good defensible position to camp.
    Young Case would be a few feet in front of him, Old Jorg a few feet behind. They are towards the middle of the party.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Malarie walks just behind Hiigara, eyes alert to any bandits or grayblood, missing the one right next to her. She abstains from small talk along the road, choosing to march instead in silence.
    LGBTA+itP

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Gavriel rode confidently at the front of the party, resplendent in his armor. He rested his lance on his shoulder as he continued scanning the darkening treeline from beneath a winged helmet. "We should decide soon if we're marching through the night or setting camp. If the latter, have we a mage with night-eyes to match the darkbloods?"

Spoiler
    Show

Gavriel will be in front and center beside Hiigara.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

“I have my ways of seeing in the dark.” Hiigara stoops down and picks up a chunk of broken cobblestone and tests it’s weight in his hands. “It’s best to reach Dalshill fresh and rest tonight. No telling what we may be walking into.”

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Tassadar walks beside Malarie. While in fight he would try to stay in the back but consider that they can ambushed it more save to stick with the front line for now. "I can see in the dark for up to 60 feed is that helps"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

From the back of the party, old Jorg raises his voice to reply to Tassadar. "See in the dark? Sure you ain't got some darker blood in you, friend?" By his jovial tone, it is clear Jorg means this only as an innocent joke. The older man goes on: "I'm not against a little rest. My legs are sure getting tired."

Young Case turns to Kel Vas, keeping his voice low. "Huh, sir, really, d'you think it's wise to spend more time in the woods? I'd rather we press on."

Show
    We're waiting for a post from the Wogly Woggler. I push the story forward once we reach the 24h since OP time limit.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Bellerophontia, never completely comfortable engaging in conversation or leading, brings up the rear a few paces behind Torg. Her right hand holds the lead to her donkey, who keeps pace stolidly beside her. Her left hand drapes over the buckle of her sword-belt, her forearm resting on the hilt of her sword. She glances off to the side into the woods from time to time, scanning for signs of passage: Recently broken branches, disturbed undergrowth, and the like.

"I can see well in moonlight," Belle says, half to herself, when she hears Gavriel's query.
    She clears her throat, then makes a conscious effort to speak up. "I'd rather not stumble upon anything in the night." She shrugs a short brown cloak closer about her shoulders.

Show

Is the weather fair or overcast? Does Belle know whether there will be a moon tonight?
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

us stumbling onto anything isn't as much of a problem as something stumbling onto us. Regardless we don't know state of the city so I would rather have everyone fully rested.. Then is turns at the man joking. "honestly, considering how messy is my family,
    I may have about any blood and be related to about anything

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hiigara chuckles slightly at Tassadar's words, but not because of the joke.

"I have to agree. Any sane brigand would turn tail for easier prey once they saw our numbers."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Kel Vas

We don't wanna risk being ambushed during their time. We should hole up for the night.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

"Sounds like most of us want to bed down for the night, and I agree: If there is something going on in town, we'd best face it well-rested and in the daylight," Gavriel summarized. "Shall I take first watch, while there's still a little light? Mal's cloak could help us see, but would make us visible for miles around if we don't find a really good sheltered spot."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Not long after this discussion, something catches not only a few of the travellers' eyes. Something on the left side of the road. A wheel. Maybe some cloth. Those who approach notice it's the remains of a wagon. Overgrown with weeds and creepers, smashed wood and torn cloth lies there. Large bones, probably leftovers from whatever animal was pulling the wagon, are clean of any meat or skin.

Spoiler: Malarie, Hiigara
    Show
    As some stop to give the wagon a look, Malarie sees something move in the woods beyond. Hiigara is pretty sure he's seen two or three forms, size of human child, scuttling back into the woods. Whatever they were, they were watching you before you noticed them.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Malarie looks over the forest, ignoring the wagon for the moment. Did anybody else see anything? I swear I saw movement.
    LGBTA+itP

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

sure Gavriel go ahead. I don't mind taking one myself.
    Perhaps a second.

17. - Top - End - #17

Bellerophontia

"Movement?" Belle's heartbeat increases as she turns quickly to peer into the woods. She pulls the sling from her belt and fumbles for a bullet. "I saw nothing. Something big?". Continuing to scan the woods to the left, Belle takes a step away from the donkey to give her ample space if she needs to shoot.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

”No, not big; small. About the size of a child and at least two or three.” Hiigara keeps his eyes trained on the darkness where the forms scurried away from. “They were watching us as we approached and then scrambled when we drew closer.”

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Kel Vas

We should find some defensible ground. If they are survivors, they will seek us out. If they are foes they will bring more.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

I agree with finding a defensible location. She pauses, and grins. In addition, I'd rather not go without sleep, if it is up to me.
    LGBTA+itP

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

I would opt for defensible location as well as we do wa to get to the town in best shape possible Tassadar add as he starts looking for one himself.

22. - Top - End - #22

As no threat presents itself, Belle allows herself to relax just a little and tucks her sling back into her belt. She steps back to her pack animal, giving it a pat before retrieving its lead. She nods in assent to the others. "A secure camp and rest would be welcome." Belle casts another wary glance into the trees, her eyes lingering for a moment on the detritus of the ruined wagon. Poor fellows, she thinks to herself.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

"Defensible is of course preferred, but a good spot an hour from now is better than a perfect spot an hour from dawn," Gavriel put in. "And unless we want to go searching for one, we'd best stay on the road until we come across one or fatigue compels us to stop."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

“It’s agreed, then; we continue on.” Hiigara watches the tree line with interest as he leads the group at a slightly quicker pace.“Have any of you come this way recently? I’ve a few ideas what that may have been.”

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

The night

The travellers push on along the road. After a few hours, they find a lone tower, inside a bend of the road, on the flank of a hill. Kel Vas and Gavriel recognize it at the remnants of an ancient outpost built up to give an adventageous view of the road. There's not much left of it: Only a round wall, four to six feet high. Yet, it's way easier to defend than anything else you might find in such a short time.

At one moment during his night watch, Tassadar believes he sees something moving in the nearby underbrush. Yet, whatever it was doesn't seem to want to push its luck.

The rest of night passes in calm. Dawn finds the travellers rested and ready for another day of walk.

Dalshill

It's on the afternoon of that day that you reach Dallshill. The roard continues to bend around a the same. The woods seem to grow thinner and not far away, a bald hill can be seen. Wheat and barley fields ring a small hamlet near the top of that hill. From between the houses sprouts a bell tower.

From where you are, no walls or other protections can be seen around the village. You believe you can make out a few figures working in the fields. Old Jorg puts a hand over his eyes and squints. "Looks like harvest time."

There might be an hour walk left to reach the fields, and then another one to reach the village.

Show
    Precautions were enough to deter whatever it was of attacking you.

How do you approach Dalshill? Feel free to discuss it IC.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2018-01-21 at 11:15 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

"don't look like much. Unless somyhing i hiding the building to amush us we shoudn't have much to worty about"

27. - Top - End - #27

Bellerophontia

Belle places a hand on her hip and peers at the distant fields. She nods along to Tassadar's words. "I can't see a reason not to continue along the road, at least until we get a closer look. And even then, there doesn't look to be much cover to approach the village by way of stealth, even if we wanted to. If there's anybody in that tower, they'll surely see us coming." Belle pauses, shifting from foot to foot. "Any other considerations?" she adds.
    Last edited by Woggle; 2018-01-21 at 02:57 PM.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

”Agreed. We don’t want to seem like an invading force, nor do we want to initiate any hostilities. We’ll stay on the road in full view.” Hiigara adjusts the spiked chain at his hip. ”Be ready, though. I don’t want anyone’s blood on my hands.”

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Kel Vas
    Clarify your concern. What should be ready for?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

”The point of why we’re here is that we don’t know what’s going on. We could be walking into a village under siege. We could find the road has become blocked by a natural phenomenon. Hell, the townsfolk here may even be hostile towards us!” Hiigara chuckles. ”In any case, I expect all of you to be ready to use your blade and know whether to strike with the edge or the flat. That being said, I don’t expect things to get to that point. More likely than not we’ll find some mundane reason and restore communication.”