New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Banned

Default Re: Broken Shield II: Bury Me in Widow's Luck [IC]

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

To my mind, it's poker - but it's largely irrelevant, and I wasn't sure poker was entirely IC. Chess seems to be universally accepted in fantasy, but games of chance seem different. So I avoided being specific A) because it makes no real difference, and B) because I wasn't sure poker is a game that exists in the game world =)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ulric's cloths fall flat as he is obviously a little hurt by the statement. But it quickly flutters up again.
    Lady Tasha is he always this tightly wound? Haha no no I'm sorry I didn't mean anything by it. Also i cleatly miss understood your twos relationship. But it is the privilege of good company. Perhaps abuse was the wrong word. Don't squander good company. Good company is the best thing someone could ask for.
    Isn't that right sir?

he says this last part as he turns to the gnome. Ulric doesn't pick up on galtons discomfort but he knows his energy isn't matching that of some of the others so he wants to try and include him.
    Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    I assumed it was poker. But I'd love to hear Salazar explain which game he started dealing out

3. - Top - End - #33
    Banned

Salazar explains:

This is the game of Pokah. It's ancient, played around the world - at least the parts I know of - and has many names. Pokeri, in my distant homeland, for instance.

You build a hand from your hole cards - the two cards you hold in your hand - and the river, which is used by all.

The trick, of course, is building the best hand you can from the cards available.

He goes onto outlining the different hands, the betting structure, and so on.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Tasha is surprised by Ulric's ghostly servants. She supresses a yelp before it turns into a scream. Since nobody else seems to mind, after cringing away at first, she finally accepts the servant's offer of service.

Quote Originally Posted by kulosle View Post
    "Lady Tasha is he always this tightly wound? Haha"
    "You have no idea, dear," answers Tasha, trying, without success, to match Ulric's lighthearted tone.

As Salazar is captivating everyone's attention with his dealing of cards and explanations of the rules, Galton slowly recedes ever farther into the woods.

Lost in his thought, the gnome hears, without giving it any attention, a branch crack, a bush move, maybe a hushed voice. This at last takes Galton out of his reverie.

Three figures right outside the circle of light of the campfire. As Galton is gathering his wits and taking in a breath to shout the alarm, one of the figures steps into the light.

The man is not young, yet not old. He's wearing mail and leather and a pack on his back. He's raising two open palms to convey a peacefull intent. His hair gives glimmers with copper and sunset in the firelight.

"Hello everyone, my two companions and I had a very long day. We saw your fire and wondered if we'd be allowed to join you? Safety in numbers, right?" Despite a confident face, the man's voice wavers just so slightly.

Spoiler: Rose, Narese, Galton
    Show
    The man's nervousness may well have nothing to do with the immediate situation. Going from his stance, he indeed looks exhausted.

Spoiler: Darkvision
    Show
    The two men standing behind don't look like much. Both wear mail too. Both are holding spears, but not in a menacing way, using them as walking sticks. They look more like soldiers than brigands.

Spoiler: Galton
    Show
    Standing where he is, unless someone can sense into the darkness as he can, Galton is pretty sure nobody can see him anymore.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2018-01-19 at 04:16 AM.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Waving to them, "Sure, come have a seat, join our fire." Rose says, saying so as if nothing is wrong at all. Though it would be common for people to cluster together for protection, this ... triggers something in her, a note of caution comes to mind as it feels more like they approach. Definitely time to ask some questions and sleep lightly tonight if at all. As they approach she asks, "Names rose, welcome to our humble fire, what are your names?" She asks, starting probing.
    We of the unicorn clan are the best horsemen in the land,our horses are our lives,we live as one,we fight as one,we die as one.

We are all awesome, each and every one of us, no matter who or what we are. Except those people who want to make other people feel bad ... them .. not so much!

"Say that our lives are measured not by gain but by giving."
    —The Forestmaster, Dragons of Autumn Twilight
    Spoiler
    Show

Hugs For The Hug God! Cuddles For The Cuddle Throne!!!! - Jacklu

6. - Top - End - #36
    Banned

Salazar is far less trusting of strangers than Rose, yet these three do seem to pose little threat. Still, it doesn't require much of a man - except a sufficiently low moral standard - to cut the throat of a stranger in the night. Despite this, any chance meeting has value.

Safety in numbers, indeed. By now, it would require a small army to assault this, our fortress for the night.

Care to join for a few hands before we turn in?

Salazar, outwardly friendly, sizes up these three - though two will have to wait until they step into the light. What is the state of their weapons? Do they have the scars of seasoned veterans? How about the quality of their gear? Are they carrying supplies enough to get where ever they're going?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ah, poker is what you call it here. Where I was raised we called the game 'Torish.'" Malcolm replies to Salazar. "You see, torish is dwarven for crown. The goal of the game is to get the best combination of 'gems' or cards, for the king's crown."

He turns to the newcomers, "I'll part you with your coin if you'd like." Malcolm smiles, but eyes them up and down gauging their strength. "Are you and your companions alright?"
    Dascarletm, Spinner of Rudiplorked Tales, and Purveyor of Puns
    Thanks to Artman77 for the avatar!
    Extended Signature

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Join us. I've heard that the more people you have at a gathering, the more merry it may be. Narese awkwardly drops this phrase, one she'd heard before in a tavern in some bastion of civilization. She turns to face the newcomers, giving them each a nod and appraising them in the dark with ease. She stands up and removes her dinner from the dirt and coals, unwrapping the steaming hot roots from their leaves and popping one into her mouth, chewing slowly while she considers this gathering of folk. It seems her destiny was wrapped up with some of them, somehow. She wasn't sure if it would be with all of them, or maybe just a select few, but either way she could feel fate at work. Whether it was for good or ill only time would tell.
    The Bear is Back.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

The red haired man nods to each one in turn. "Thanks for your welcome." He manages a weak, tired smile. He waves his hand behind him, for the two others to approach.

The way he puts down, or more precisely, lets fall his pack from his back betrays his weariness. He sits unceremoniously on his pack, unties his sword belt, and starts massaging his calves. His two companions are not better faring. One puts both his pack and weapon down, puts his head on the pack, curls up on the ground with his back to the fire, gives a shiver first, then the premises of a snore. The last one just stands there, leaning on his spear, looking at all of you and the ghostly servants around you. He finally sits down and takes his face in his palms.

"Dead gods! We had ourselves a long hard walk today. Curse this road, I nearly fell head-first into brambles. We were looking for a spot to stop at when we saw your light. It ended up being farther away than we'd thought." He stops and shakes his head. "Where are I manners, you can call me Walt." he promptly adds, looking up towards Rose, this time with a more genuine and friendly smile. He turns to his two companions, expecting they'd make presentations, realizes they're not available, and shrugs.

Then you notice he gives a measuring look at each of the assembled party, the same look others are giving him back. For a short moment, he seems to think and tally before reaching a decision. He sighs.

"Tell me, which way are you all headed? What's your business in these parts? My asking may seem abrupt, but I may have a proposal for you."

Spoiler: Salazar, Malcolm
    Show
    Walt, the red-haired man looks like your average adventurer. The two others look like your average farmhand turned mercenary. They're well equipped enough for travellers. Exhausted as they are, it's hard to take their true measure. Yet, it's clear they don't pose anyone the smallest threat in their current situation.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

10. - Top - End - #40
    Banned

No cards then, eh? Salazar is slightly dissapointed, but also genuinely concerned for these weary travellers. Are you sure your two companions and yourself ought sleep on empty stomachs? I packed for two, but I suppose I can spare some bread and sausage.

He digs in his pack, finding enough food to help the three strangers wake in the morning with a bit more strength in their muscles.

I can't speak for all of us. But I travel to Widow's Luck, and while it's certainly my plan to do well for myself there - I've yet to work out the fine details of how, precisely, I'm going to do that.

Eat some, and tell us your proposition while you're at it.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

"I do as well travel there. You look like you have marched a long way today, as my companion says, you want any food?" She doesnt let on the assumption that she thinks they are running from something, not yet. "Though i am curious what you have in mind."
    We of the unicorn clan are the best horsemen in the land,our horses are our lives,we live as one,we fight as one,we die as one.

We are all awesome, each and every one of us, no matter who or what we are. Except those people who want to make other people feel bad ... them .. not so much!

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42

BlueWizardGirl

I'm just looking for a place I can do some good. I've heard Widow's Luck is a good place to start. The name's Ulric by the by.
    Last edited by kulosle; 2018-01-20 at 10:50 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Father Talog says to Walt "Well, Friend I'm going home. Say, Whats this proposal?"
    While talking he packs up his food and takes out a Wooden flute. When one looks closely they can see Silver running through it. he begins playing a simple country tune.
    Omnissiah grant me the strength to change what I can,
    the patience to accept what I cannot,
    and CHAINFISTS FOR HANDS. Amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timble View Post
    when an imperial knight says it wants to stick you in a large arena in which to fight to the death, you can't exactly say no.
    My 40k Discord Server: Join Today!
    Magic the Gathering (In the Playground)
    Games that I am in

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Malcolm seems almost surprised by the question, and pauses for a moment. His put-on friendly demeanor fades, and his surprise turns to concerned thought, Where AM I going? he thinks to himself. I know I wanted to go... somewhere. He shrugs slightly and finally says, "I suppose Widow's Luck sounds like a good destination." He turns back to the game of cards at hand.
    Spoiler: Typing Conventions
    Show
    I'm using non quoted italics for non-spoken thoughts unless that is confusing to anyone
    Last edited by dascarletm; 2018-01-20 at 11:23 AM.
    Extended Signature

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

I am Narese. I am heading to Widow's Luck to seek further work as a guide or a slayer of foul beasts.
    Narese adjusts her grip on her staff, making sure to keep the flame away from herself. It wouldn't really burn her, but it would bring only trouble if the people here knew she was fire resistant. She popped another root into her mouth and chewed it, somewhat noisily, and continued to watch the game as it grew larger and larger. If you had hired me you would not have had so many problems with the road, though this one is particularly bad.
    The Bear is Back.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

For a time, Galton watches the proceedings, realizing that he's missed a significant portion of the conversation between the vagabond and this white-haired Ulric fellow. He shrugs it off, unconcerned with the trivialities they discuss, and quietly turns his attention to a piece of hard bread. He gums it soft before taking a bite, both to savor the taste and prevent it from snapping loudly.

Galton's eyes continue to roam. At the unmistakable weariness of the newest arrivals, his demeanor shows even less trust of the darkness around them. He turns to the side, allowing his eyes to regulate for the lack of light, facing away from the fire, and peers into the darkness. He only gauges the talk around the fire with his ears, distinctly unsure what, precisely, would lead three men to run head-long in the darkness. It's not that hard to avoid briars, and the other two, at least, are clearly spent.

He rearranges himself to rise more easily, should the situation come to demand it, and watches the darkness. 'Spose Widow's Luck sounds as good a place as any for the next... while... Wonder what this fellow's on about?
    Show
    I use colored, italicized words without quotes as thoughts, as well.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

A lone eyebrow rises marginally on Walt's forehead at Ulric's mention of doing good. As everyone says their piece, Walt graciously accepts some food. Of the two other men, one seems like he won't wake up despite your best efforts. The other accepts the food, nodding his thanks.

When everyone is over, Walt gives another look to the assembly. He seems somewhat nervous as he closes his eyes and takes a deep breath in. (Salazar has this distinct impression of recognizing an expression he knows well: This moment when one has called every bet, have no coin left, and despite their hand being what it is, have no choice but to go all in with whatever possession they have.)

"See, there's this convoy. It's come from Satorys, all the way to the South. It went to Aikin to the North. However, Aikin's doors are closed. There's a plague up north and the city is letting nobody in or out."

Walt massages the bridge of his nose. "So, the city being closed, whoever is in lead of that convoy decided to take the trip back home. That convoy is under heavy guard. Sorry, it was under heavy guard. Some were lost on the way. A few other I guess turned their tails. Thing is, they don't have as much guards as they'd like."

Walt makes a pause, letting the implications sink in. He gives you all another good look. "I want to take over that convoy. By now, they have only half a dozen guards left. These guys are tired, they've been marching themselves hard. Chances are, we make a good show of it, they won't even put up a fight. I caught up with the convoy in Widow's Luck, but there was no way of doing it in town. However, I know they're going to take this road we're on."

Walt pauses again, wondering if he should go on. "There's this perfect ambush site just a couple hours walk from here."

Walt takes another deep breath in. "What do you think?"

Spoiler: Talog
    Show
    Between here and Widow's Luck the road is even more accidented. It sneaks between jagged rocks and cliffs. Talog remembers there's even some point where there's a natural stone arch handing above the road.

Spoiler: Galton
    Show
    The night is calm. Galton sees nothing creeping up the road or through the woods. Walt is talking in a very deliberate manner, thus Galton hears most everything he just said.

Spoiler: OOC, All
    Show
    Aikin the Black-Walled is the major city-state of the region. It is a few weeks walk to the north. Satorys is another city-state, that is somewhat farther than Aikin, but to the south.

For a convoy to travel all this way, it must tranposrt something of importance.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2018-01-21 at 10:56 AM. Reason: typo negative

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Galton sits in silence, eyes wide with the implications. He wants us to ambush a caravan?!?

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

"What'd you need the Money from it for?" Father Talog isn't 100% against it. He had done worse in his...Misguided youth. The main point was why. If he was going to raise an army with that money then no way. If it was for a good cause then he could consider it.
    when an imperial knight says it wants to stick you in a large arena in which to fight to the death, you can't exactly say no.
    Games that I am in

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Malcolm seems uninterested, not by the prospect of taking-over a caravan, but at the prospect of no one putting up a fight. He says with a shrug, "Ambush some weary caravan merchants? It sure is different out here."
    Extended Signature

21. - Top - End - #51
    Banned

I don't mind telling you, when I left for Widow's Luck, I did so with higher ambitions than simple highway robbery. I imagined something ... nobler, more refined, something I could brag about to my old grandmother, and she'd coo at what a dashing young man her grandson has grown into.

Don't imagine any sort of moral outrage from me, though. We each do what we must to make our way in life.

However, I ... sense a discrepancy. Or a discongruity. A grey area.

Salazar levels a card at Walt - as if it were a fork at the dinner table. It happens to be an ace.

Your weary state, your lack of supplies, the fact that you know the path of the convoy, these things aren't well explained by tracking a convoy. And the three of you, even were you mightier warriors than I, wouldn't fare very well against half a dozen guards.

It seems to me there are things you're not telling us. This is a poor foundation for the kind of trust required among thieves.

Show

Salazar does not trust this guy, and .. if we do decide to do anything with him, Salazar will ... keep his own counsel, I guess.

At a guess, he's one of the guards from the caravan. He likely already tried and failed, and ran. He hasn't been able to buy supplies in WL because the caravan has already informed them of his crime.

Rolls:
    Diplomacy: (1d20+5)[9] - to present the above speech not as someone who is trying to get in a fight with Walt, but as someone who drives a hard bargain, and isn't easily fooled.
    Sense Motive: (1d20+8)[20] - to find out what Walt is up to, really. Perhaps specifically, a percentage chance of getting stabbed in the back once the caravan is succesfully robbed.

Finally, a guess (like, Salazar is guessing:
    Int: (1d20+1)[19] - what is the reward on Walt's head?

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Galton nods slowly, the expression likely missed by the majority of the unlikely group. His eyes flick over to Salazar, taking in the man's hard stare for a moment, before returning to scanning the shadows around them. Not just a pretty face, that one...

23. - Top - End - #53

BlueWizardGirl

Ulric is almost personally offended and it shows. His eyes flare for a second and his servants literally drop what they were doing. But he sees the others want to know more. And this is a good chance to measure up what sort of people this lot is. So after a moment of his robe thrashing about it relaxes.
    Walt, I have lived a nice life. And I have done so by not painting a target on my back. So let me tell you how I see this going down. Either this caravan is worth a lot of gold and someone will be looking for it if we take it. Or know one would notice it missing and is minor gains and not worth the effort. Especially after it's split amongst us all. I can't imagine it's worth the effort. Are you that desperate for funds? If you are come with me to Widows Luck and we will find gainful employment. You seem like a capable young man. So why risk it. How can it possibly be worth it.

Show

Diplomacy roll(1d20+12)[25]
    trying to talk him out and to reveal more information.
    Last edited by kulosle; 2018-01-21 at 02:27 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Narese remained silent through the initial conversation after the appeal for aid, but her features disguised none of her feeling on this subject. Her lips curled back into a snarl, showing white teeth with pointy canines (though not too unusual). A growl issued from her throat as she reverted to her more natural, more instinctual form of communication. The light of the fire struck her eyes just right to bring out a flash of red from behind the grey, making her face seem feral and predatory in the dim. Your reasoning had better be good. Taking what is not yours is a dire act- one sure to gain attention from those who DO own your quarry, as Ulric mentioned. Doing so at the threat of a sword is something I would be hard pressed to do in the most desperate of circumstances. I am not that desperate. What makes you wish to do this?
    The Bear is Back.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Shaking her head, "No, that doesnt make sense. You seem far too exhausted for just a march, i think you were or are running from something, want to speak up on that?" Rose asks in a more demanding manner. She will very much kill these men, attack a caravan? Hell no. She will not be a party of attacking those innocents she protects.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

At first, Walt's hopes seem to get up. A smile even tugs at his lips after Talog and Malcolm have spoken.

Yet, his lips become a line again when Salazar speaks. His mouth moves as if to offer an explanation, but it seems he can think of nothing to say.

Then Ulric speaks. You know that moment after you went all in, step back and look over your bad hand? Walt listens to Ulric but can't hold his eyes. He looks at his own feet in shame. Narese and Rose's pieces are nails in the coffin.

Walt sighs and passes his hand in his hair. He looks up towards Salazar. He's got the face of a man reluctant to put his cards on the table, yet cannot avoid it anymore.

"See, you're wrong. I've been following the convoy since Aikin. I've been—" his brows furrow with thought "—mandated to go after them." He fetches a paper, no, not just a paper, a letter sealed with wax, from under his mail.

He turns to Rose: "Yes, we're tired. We just caught up with them. This seemed the best place for an ambush, and my last actual chance to do it. Each day is taking me further away and I don't even know if I've got enough coin to get back to Aikin. There were no good recruit in Widow's Luck. I thought we'd just rush to the next town, hire some thugs (no offense meant)" he chuckles nervously, "walk back up the road and do it." He gives a short look towards Ulric. "Clearly, I wasn't thinking straight anymore."

To Talog, he shakes his head slowly. "As to the nature of what they're carrying, I don't know. That's the point of my mission. First to find out, then bring it back if possible. I don't think it's money, though." He shakes his head.

(At this point, Tasha looks at Salazar and rolls her eyes in contempt.)

He gives another short look to Ulric. "With that plague..." He takes his head in his hands. "Dead gods, I hope the plague didn't follow me... all these villages..." He shakes anguish away. "See, I don't know what's up in Aikin. My brother got the plague before I went. He's probably dead. Since I went, maybe half the city's already dead." He looks up to Ulric, a mixture of shame, fear and regret on his face. "You... you really think we can do it, make a living, out here in the Shieldlands? There's nothing left for me, back there." He turns his eyes down again, looking from his letter to the campfire.

Show
    Knowledge (Nobility & Royalty), trained only, DC 12 to figure out who's seal is on the letter
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2018-01-22 at 06:02 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57

BlueWizardGirl

Show
    knowledge royalty and nobility(1d20+5)[18]

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

"Come with me to Widow's Luck. I'm Sure I can talk our good mayor into finding a place for you there. If you want you can stay at my home until you have a home of your own. If not at least let me heal you. You seem hurt and weary."
    Games that I am in

29. - Top - End - #59
    Banned

Someone gave you a mandate to rob a caravan? Someone inside a quaretined city? And you sort of neglected to mention that at first? Is that seal even broken - do you know what that parchment says?

Also, was who ever gave you this mandate just truly optimistic about your combat ability? It was heavily guarded, you said - and yet there are just the three of you?

Show

This guy is ... so obviously just making stuff up.

And yet, he's not dangerous. I mean, three guys against all of us. And yet, and yet.

Salazar shuffles his cards a couple of times, and puts them away. He grabs his pack, places it in front of him, opens it - puts the cards in, and while the pack and it's open flap hides his hands, he takes out his gun, and keeps it out of sight behind the pack, or the hem of his cloak.

The best timing for this is while someone else is speaking, obviously.

Sleight of hand: (1d20+6)[23]

If it seems Walt notices, Salazar will simply proceed to clean the gun as if nothing is amiss. He will even whistle very slightly, like this is a valued evening ritual.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC, the seal
    Show
    It looks like a seal from the church of Mithras, which is (was?) the Empire's state religion.

Going from Walt's stated origin, this could well be the mark of the Grand Pontifex of the Great Temple of Aikin.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2018-01-22 at 08:52 AM.