New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Serious Plots 7: Why so srs?

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    [The Fabulous Croupelt's Falling Circus]

Val recoils from Croupelt, tearing his hand away. He looks at the box uneasily for just one moment before promptly turning away from it. If he merely felt uneasy before, now he knows something is horribly wrong.

"Astrana!" He shouts, hoping that wherever she is she can hear him. Oh god, what happened to her? Is she even anywhere near here anymore?

First he needs to get somewhere he can see before he can do anything, though, and somewhere that isn't that box. He stumbles int he dark toward where he's sure the front of the stage is. He stoops over, feeling for the edge of it so he can carefully hop down. After that... well hopefully he can find somewhere a little more sane.
    That's easy enough to do... nothing keeps Val from reaching the stage's edge and hopping down. He hears a snarl behind him, a scold, a curse. His feet hit the sand beneath the stagetop... and he keeps falling. In fact, unless he has some way to quickly escape his fate, Valente will fall through that soft grit, down into a choking lightless place with sand pressing upon him from all sides.

After a time, he lands on his back. It is not a hard impact. He is lying in a mound of sand, in the lot beneath Croupelt's dirigible. The dirigible is slowly accelerating to the west. The sky is fittingly overcast, dark as an ink blot. The dirigible makes a faint puttering as it is propelled away.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Wode]

"A winter coat...?" Sarina echoes. She only realizes now that she probably should have dressed warmer, but she's been so worked up that she hadn't really been paying attention to the cold. She smiles sadly.
    "Well, do you uh, have any leads or contacts or anything? I don't know how good I'll be just following the threads from place to place, but if that's what you want I'll do it."
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Cloud Palace]

The dragon is silent for a moment. "You are clearly from a different world, while I hoard knowledge I don't know the details of what you speak of. What about this, just to make sure there are no misunderstandings between us, will you allow lend me to view your thoughts? That way I can understand exactly what has been stolen from you and construct a replacement from your memories."

She suddenly floats her massive body above the floor and purple underneath her claws two shapes made of purple mist appears. They seem to resemble Steve and Luvon as they are now. "These will take those unwanted aspects, once I can find them in your minds."
    Steve stays quiet and tries to think of what he trained to be and what he believes he needs to be.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [The Wode]

Rose nods. She has a fuzzy coat, but Sarina isn't all covered by her shell and silly ears. She must get cold.
    "Look to the gods; they're trouble. Our own work didn't start till long after our own were dead. "
    "Look to any organization that orders things too much."
    "There was something in the northern desert not so long ago, with a great deal of compressed time and smokeless fire."
    "Go to the dark elves in the great cities. They will be helpful, in the long run. Though in the short run they might not be too friendly. Roth can give you an introduction."
    "The place called Trog's Tavern is a hotbed of time warps. Keep touch there."
    "The holiday of Thanksmas is already a blending of the winter hours. It tends to make one many, and the future the present. Be on guard then."
    "That should get you started."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    That's easy enough to do... nothing keeps Val from reaching the stage's edge and hopping down. He hears a snarl behind him, a scold, a curse. His feet hit the sand beneath the stagetop... and he keeps falling. In fact, unless he has some way to quickly escape his fate, Valente will fall through that soft grit, down into a choking lightless place with sand pressing upon him from all sides.

After a time, he lands on his back. It is not a hard impact. He is lying in a mound of sand, in the lot beneath Croupelt's dirigible. The dirigible is slowly accelerating to the west. The sky is fittingly overcast, dark as an ink blot. The dirigible makes a faint puttering as it is propelled away.

Val lands dazed in the sand. He struggles to get up, spitting sand on the pile and trying to get steady. He looks upward toward the departing dirigible, utter despair in the pit of his stomach. "Astrana!" He shouts, his voice cracking. "Astrana!" He tries to run after it, stepping heavily through the sand. There's no way he could hope to do anything, but he tries for the moment anyway.

6. - Top - End - #66

[The Fabulous Croupelt's Falling Circus - Show's Over, Folks! You don't have to go home...]

The airship tops out at a steady clip, faster than most automobiles, and dwindles into the starry hollow of the night sky.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

[Cloud Palace]

The dragon is silent for a moment. "You are clearly from a different world, while I hoard knowledge I don't know the details of what you speak of. What about this, just to make sure there are no misunderstandings between us, will you allow lend me to view your thoughts? That way I can understand exactly what has been stolen from you and construct a replacement from your memories."

She suddenly floats her massive body above the floor and purple underneath her claws two shapes made of purple mist appears. They seem to resemble Steve and Luvon as they are now. "These will take those unwanted aspects, once I can find them in your minds."
    Luvon will do the same as Steve, picturing his former self as instructed.
    "Sons of Gondor! Of Rohan! My brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me! A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields when the age of Men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand! Men of the West!" -Aragorn, Lord of the Rings

I'm 8BitNinja's Brother

8. - Top - End - #68

[The Fabulous Croupelt's Falling Circus - But You Can't Stay Here]

Hark! From behind Valente, a terrible retching, and the sound of a body in great pain. Should he turn, he will find the mutilated form of the woman he stabbed, her blood steadily soaking into the expelled sands of the arena. She could be in worse shape, all things considered. Gut wounds take a very long time to kill after all.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Val turns around to see the woman, and he somehow gets even more pale. "Oh god." He takes an uncertain step toward her. "I didn't know, I-" Okay, don't panic. Focus. He rushes toward her, stumbling through the sand. "I'll call and ambulance. Just try to hold on." He tries to put one hand over her wound and put pressure on it. With the other he fishes out his phone to call an emergency number.

10. - Top - End - #70

[Empty Lot]

The girl is saveable! And the ambulance from one of Inside's many charitable hospitals will arrive... though it takes an agonizingly long time. Valente's victim is long since unconscious by the the time they are loading her up... and he is told that the police are going to have some serious questions for him.

What does Val do?

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Fabulous Croupelt's Falling Circus - But You Can't Stay Here]

Hark! From behind Valente, a terrible retching, and the sound of a body in great pain. Should he turn, he will find the mutilated form of the woman he stabbed, her blood steadily soaking into the expelled sands of the arena. She could be in worse shape, all things considered. Gut wounds take a very long time to kill after all.

Val turns around to see the woman, and he somehow gets even more pale. "Oh god." He takes an uncertain step toward her. "I didn't know, I-" Okay, don't panic. Focus. He rushes toward her, stumbling through the sand. "I'll call and ambulance. Just try to hold on." He tries to put one hand over her wound and put pressure on it. With the other he fishes out his phone to make a call. Not an emergency number, but an ambulance nonetheless.

It takes a little while, but a lone ambulance makes its way toward them. A pair of paramedics step out, one an ork woman and the other a human man who shares Val's palor. "Valente? Is that you? What is god's name is going on?"

"It's need to know, Daniele. She can't croke without me talking to her. I'll owe you."

"Get the stretcher, Phrang." Daniele steps over and crouches next to Val and the bleeding woman. "And after that?"

"A mugging? Doesn't matter, admit her normally. Just make sure I'm there as soon as she can talk."

"A'ight a'ight. Get outta the way. You're gonna kill her if the stab wound doesn't."

Soon enough the ambulance will make a beeline for Riverside with the four of them in tow.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Wode]

"Um...okay." Sarina looks like she might want to hug her sister, but just doesn't know how to respond to all this. So she shirks away, shy.
    "Good luck then." she says at last, and scurries away.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

13. - Top - End - #73
    Bugbear in the Playground

((I apologize for the delay.))

[Cloud Palace]

Mengshi's eyes glow with a purple light as she seem to look straight into their eyes. The two might feel a tingle in their head, though otherwise it is impossible to tell that anyone would be looking straight into their minds.

((If there is anything special can see, which she could potentially use, please mention it (if you can think of anything).))

"Your self-images are strong." The dragon suddenly remarks. "It should be enough. Prepare yourselves."

Then Steves and Luvons aspects will morph into what they themselves see as them. This is however based of their own self-image, so depending on that their new powers or appearance will be based on how they see themselves and their powers.
    So the exact change will be up to the players.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2018-03-07 at 01:44 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

[Westside Hospital]

As Valente requested, he's able to see the wounded girl as soon as she's well enough to talk. In a couple of hours he'll probably find himself in her dull, dim little hospital room, surrounded by soft pastel colors and amenities meant to make a patient feel comfortable without spending a great deal of money. The woman looks tiny, almost emaciated without her extravagant dress on. She's got heavy bandages around her middle and lies half beneath a blanket, surrounded by monitors producing a steady string of presumably positive sounds.

Her hair is stringy, swept back from her face as two dark curtains. Her eyes are haunted and dull, but they seem to gleam with attentiveness when Valente appears. Her eyelids fall halfway as she watches him, no expression at all on her tightly drawn face.

"Thank you for getting me out of that place," she says, suddenly, very softly.
    [Westside Hospital]

"Well, I couldn't exactly just leave you." He's not a terrible person, he hopes. Val moves closer, standing next to the bed. "But... I need to ask you some questions. I need to find Croupelt, quickly." His expression is grave.

15. - Top - End - #75

[Westside Hospital]

The girl looks straight ahead, her eyes narrowed with drowsiness and a sort of dull, resolute acceptance of her unfortunate situation. "He's in the Void," she says, a rattle in her throat. The wounded girl coughs, raw and ravaged. "The Circus cuts a hole through to the Void once they've caught a few people they like." She blinks, swallows, slow. Expression hardly changing. "I've seen it a few times now."

"I know the people he talks to when he does it. They'll have ships. Spaceborers. I can point you at them..." She leans her head back. "Should be close enough that you'll see the Circus right on the other side, if you can make it through..."

Her eyes flick to Val again. "What else?"

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

[Westside Hospital]

"I'm not sure..." Val says, but the his face sets in a hard expression. He balls his hands into fists. "Tell me where to go." He says simply, his voice filled with resolve.

17. - Top - End - #77

[Westside Hospital]

"Find the black ships," rasps the girl. "From a place called Leng. They're everywhere... everywhere there's a dock to take them. I saw them in Inside." It doesn't sound like she's too familiar with calling a city that. "The little men inside should take you where you need to be."

"Huge, tall wedges of metal... never any lights inside or out... you'll know them when you see."

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

((I apologize for the delay.))

[Cloud Palace]

Mengshi's eyes glow with a purple light as she seem to look straight into their eyes. The two might feel a tingle in their head, though otherwise it is impossible to tell that anyone would be looking straight into their minds.

((If there is anything special can see, which she could potentially use, please mention it (if you can think of anything).))

"Your self-images are strong." The dragon suddenly remarks. "It should be enough. Prepare yourselves."

Then Steves and Luvons aspects will morph into what they themselves see as them. This is however based of their own self-image, so depending on that their new powers or appearance will be based on how they see themselves and their powers.
    So the exact change will be up to the players.
    Steve's powers return to him. However, since he imagined what he saw as an ideal version of himself, Steve changed somewhat. Although he is nowhere near perfect, and his abilities did not increase in strength Steve now has more of an understanding of what a paladin must be.

((No problem. I'm sorry that this plot didn't go exactly as well as you might have planned))
    Last edited by 8BitNinja; 2018-03-13 at 12:52 PM.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

[Westside Hospital]

"Okay..." Val takes a moment to consider and then he decisively grabs his purse. "Right. The people hear will make sure you're okay. So, take care." Unless she wants to stop him, he's going to rush out of the room.

20. - Top - End - #80

[Westside Hospital]

The girl croaks something faint and rather melancholy sounding. She also murmurs 'good luck'. And then she settles back in, a look of something like peace on her face, eyelids slowly drooping.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

21. - Top - End - #81

[Riverside Cavern]

Along parts of the River for which the remarkable city is named, stone canals and walls have been laid. Many are in disrepair, crept over by moss and mildew, sagging with the weight of decades. Sticks leads Jim, Eschelle and the good Mr. Barring down a narrow set of stone steps to a place where the wall touches the river. At the foot of the stairs is a crevice in the stone where several bricks have fallen through, and a dimly lit space of surprising broadness beyond.

Sticks looks at the spot and then at the fellowship. "I'm afraid I can pass no further. I cannot risk encountering something that would awaken latent memories... Or cause some break in my fragile artificial memories. It is likely I would become more a hindrance than a help."

He extends his hand to Barring, presumably for a shake. He will clap Jim on the shoulder, trying to pull the boy into a short embrace. "Jim, just... if there is anything that is going to put you three in danger, and you know it, just... turn back. Nothing inside the Vault is worth you coming to harm."

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins
    Closed plot

The ancient ruins stand against the desert, shattered marble columns rising from the sand like the bones of some colossal beast long dead, bleaching in the sun. With a pop and a flash of blue light, the rebel demon Tethrik and his companion suddenly appear a short distance away. "We're here." A dark gap in the sand looms a short distance to the west, a marble chamber which may well be an entrance.
    Last edited by bc56; 2018-03-27 at 01:33 PM.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

[Riverside Cavern]

Michalson shakes Sticks' hand, then lets him and Jim say their farewells as he peers into the holes in the wall. He's put an ocular on his right eye, that lets him perceive currents and stirrings of magic much better than his naked eye would.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

24. - Top - End - #84

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Cyclopean Ruins
    Closed plot

The ancient ruins stand against the desert, shattered marble columns rising from the sand like the bones of some colossal beast long dead, bleaching in the sun. With a pop and a flash of blue light, the rebel demon Tethrik and his companion suddenly appear a short distance away. "We're here." A dark gap in the sand looms a short distance to the west, a marble chamber which may well be an entrance.
    Armonia squinted his eyes in the blinding light, sweat already beginning to form on his forehead. "Gods Tethrik, it's as hot as a Fire Elemental's rear end here." Spotting a nearby pillar, Armonia approaches. On the column, nearly faded from years of exposure, runes cross the marble. Taking a moment to read them, Armonia speaks out loud. "May the stars guide those who seek enlightenment......May the v.....vour...a...who seek.......eal..............light. Well I'd say we're in the right place..."
    If Tethrik comes to read the runes, he may recognize the ones that are not worn beyond recognition are written in Primordial

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins
    "I bet I can fill in the blanks. May the stars guide those who seek enlightenment. May the void devour any who seek to steal the light. That sounds about right. Shall we go inside?" Tethrik strides boldly into the dark gateway, ignoring the possibility of traps. He probably wouldn't be able to spot any anyway. His darkvision should allow him to see what is inside with no trouble.

My Nexus characters

26. - Top - End - #86

BarbarianGuy

Cyclopean Ruins
    "I bet I can fill in the blanks. May the stars guide those who seek enlightenment. May the void devour any who seek to steal the light. That sounds about right. Shall we go inside?" Tethrik strides boldly into the dark gateway, ignoring the possibility of traps. He probably wouldn't be able to spot any anyway. His darkvision should allow him to see what is inside with no trouble.
    While the inside of the ruined temple may appear as bright as day to Tethrik, it appears as a shadowy pit of pure blackness to Armonia. "Great....I knew I should have gotten that Everburn brand torch, well nothing to do but to try this." Unsheathing his sword, Armonia stares at it, his eyes once again burning with divine light.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins
    "You can't see in the dark. That's going to be a problem, but not for long. Tethrik opens his hand an a small ball of flame emerges from it, glowing like a candle and illuminating the room. It's a small antechamber, strange carvings worn by time decorating the walls. A doorway on the other side of the room leads into another, much larger chamber.

My Nexus characters

28. - Top - End - #88

BarbarianGuy

Cyclopean Ruins
    "You can't see in the dark. That's going to be a problem, but not for long. Tethrik opens his hand an a small ball of flame emerges from it, glowing like a candle and illuminating the room. It's a small antechamber, strange carvings worn by time decorating the walls. A doorway on the other side of the room leads into another, much larger chamber.
    As light fills the room from Tethrik's flame, Armonia's sword begins to vibrate slightly. "Ah, sweet sweet light, thank you for showing the way Tethrik." Armonia steps down into the antechamber. As he walks towards Tethrik, a barely perceivable aura begins to come forth from his sword. It expands to fill the room. Any magic items Tethrik is carrying that are exposed, begins to glow softly. The doorway into the next room also begins to glow softly.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins
    The only item on Tethrik's person which glows is the pouch on his belt (unless being a demon, an inherently magical creature, triggers the aura)
    Tethrik moves forward, oblivious to the glowing doorway, and passes through it.

My Nexus characters

30. - Top - End - #90

BarbarianGuy

Cyclopean Ruins
    The only item on Tethrik's person which glows is the pouch on his belt (unless being a demon, an inherently magical creature, triggers the aura)
    Tethrik moves forward, oblivious to the glowing doorway, and passes through it.
    (Would detect magic detect Tethrik?)
    As soon as Tethrik steps through the doorway, a loud screech fills the room. A wave of air blows strongly past Tethrik. Tethrik's flame will reveal a large room with a pure black ceiling and floor, giving the eerie illusion that he is walking into nothingness. There seem to be 4 more doorways in the room, but it is hard to tell even with the light of the fire.