New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Serious Plots 7: Why so srs?

Cyclopean Ruins

Turning a corner, Armonia points ahead, Alerting Tethrik to a spot of light in the distance. "We're almost there Tethrik!"

Upon saying that, dozens of white puff balls burst from the snow on the ground and float around in midair. A couple popped up about a foot in front of Tethrik and Armonia. Each one is small, about the size of a kitten, with four stubby limbs that end in dull claws. A pair of large, ice blue eyes stare at Armonia and Tethrik in curious delight from each puff ball they can see. Beyond that, there is nothing but long shaggy fur covering their entire bodies. Armonia wonders for a moment how they eat with no discernable mouths. They all coo playfully as they move back and forth, up and down, all around, as though they were dancing. None appear hostile

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins

Tethrik pushes his way past the puffballs toward the light.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

3. - Top - End - #273

BarbarianGuy

Cyclopean Ruins

The moment Tethrik comes into physical contact with one if the snow puffs, it explodes in a small burst of frigid magic. Tethrik may be knocked back slightly, he will almost certainly feel pain as the burst tries to freeze him.

The other puffs seem to giggle at their friend blowing up, all the while continuing their strange dance like motions.

Armonia, who was behind Tethrik, tries to help him keep his balance, all the while pulling another health potion out. "Gods, the way we're going through these, we might as well piss to get them back."

4. - Top - End - #274
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins

Tethrik lights himself on fire, hoping the flames will drive the monsters away. He continues toward the light.

My Nexus characters

5. - Top - End - #275
    Halfling in the Playground

[Riverside Ruins]

The construct's head does not move, locked in place by rust or some frozen mechanism. The trio proceeds down the passage, Eschelle giving the machine one more quarrelsome look from within her greathelm.

Soon Sticks' searchers arrive in a small cavern. Within are three adjacent chambers separated only by small semi-natural arches in the rock. The heights are inconsistent, and Eschelle has to stoop in all but the center room, on which their passage opens.

In that central chamber is a huge, featureless brass plate. It is set so snugly into the wall it is as though the stone grew over its edges, crawling across the metal like petrified creeper vines. It is surely no natural process, and one can only imagine the unfathomable eternity that it would have taken to occur.

On the right, more leather and metal detritus is strewn across a treacherously ragged stone floor. In the wall of this mostly empty chamber is a curious, apparently natural seam in the stone, jagged and empty. There are scuffs and scratches biting into the floor around the front of the seam. Oil and blood appeared to have mingled here to create a particularly potent canvas of stains.

To the left, there is something like a tiny living space. The ceiling drips with continuous, nigh glacial slowness, stalactites showering a little rag tent set amongst a semicircle of stone spikes. There are artificers tools and a pile of trash scattered beneath the tent, and a moldy looking work table set nearby. Various clockwork implements have been left there to rust...

On the table also is an item resembling a camera made of wood and brass, a pair of hand-hewn wands rendered from some sooty metal, and something resembling a tiny steel vessel or thermos with glass compartments to show the interior. The vessel appears to be empty.
    Last edited by Murkus; 2018-04-23 at 12:34 PM.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

[Riverside Ruins]

"Whatever happened 'ere was long ago and real lathly," Michalson says, as he stands in the centre cavern and takes a look into both adjacent ones. "Someone stayed 'ere and worked some craft. And by the looks of it, they did their craft on some unfortunate sods who didn't want it."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

7. - Top - End - #277

BarbarianGuy

Cyclopean Ruins

Tethrik lights up dramatically as he charges forward, the flames melting the snow surrounding him. As he approaches the next snow puff, the fire's light catches its face, giving it an eerie malevolence. With almost sinister glee, the snow puff continues its course, colliding with Tethrik, causing another small explosion. This one seems to be less impact as Tethrik's burning body wavers in the blast, before reigniting with a fury. Armonia stands awestruck as he watches Tethrik charge through these exploding puff balls, none of which alter their course any to get closer or move away from the ignited demon. Explosion after explosion happens as Tethrik barrels through them all, only his flames showing any indication of him being affected, before he finally makes it to the end of the tunnel, entering the Scorpion room.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins

"Whew." Tethrik extinguishes himself. "Let's get to the fish room."

My Nexus characters

9. - Top - End - #279

BarbarianGuy

Cyclopean Ruins

Armonia quickly catches up, bobbing and weaving around the few snow puffs that remain. "Let's do this" Armonia says as he and Tethrik head into the other tunnel in the room.

Entering the Fish room, Armonia and Tethrik should easily notice a few things. 1. This room is a lot bigger than the previous rooms. 2. Unlike the previous rooms, there are TWO statues instead of one, two elegant Fish staues stand at opposite ends of the cavern. And 3. Also unlike the last rooms, which had shallow puddles scattered throughout, a glistening pool of clear clean water sits perfectly in the center.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins

Tethrik splashes some of the water on one of the fish.

My Nexus characters

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

[Riverside Ruins]

"That or someone tried to break in here and got squashed by defenses." Jim suggests, warily prancing around the piles of metal. He hopes he doesn't cut his delicate goat ankles on all this sharp metal laying around. This is one thing boots are useful for, if he could wear those.
    Jim looks over the wands, trying to divine their purpose. If they're Sticks' maybe he could recognize his magics. Though he might not need them when he's got his master's spear. Still, probably easier to ascertain their purpose than the camera.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

12. - Top - End - #282

BarbarianGuy

Cyclopean Ruins

The water splashes against the statue, and simply rolls off. It makes its way back to the center pool, revealing the floor is slightly slanted. Armonia looks at Tethrik, nods his head, then moves to the opposite bank. At the same time that Tethrik tries again(under the assumption he will try again) Armonia scoops up water and splashes it against the other statue.

The statues seem to turn to water themselves when the liquid touches the silvery surface. Bursting from the liquefied statues, two long scaly bodies emerge. They seem to swim through the air in perfect symmetry, circling the entirety of the room before settling, intertwined, in the center of the room, about a foot above the water.

The one that came from Tethrik's side is bright white, with scales that almost seem soft and feathery, the fins smooth and circular. A pair of long whiskers ending in black tips emerge from the upper lip of a large mouth filled with what appears to be large, perfectly square, human like, teeth. Its eyes are pure black, and it has a large black spot on the top of its head.

The one from Armonia's side is pitch black, with jagged black scales, each ending in a razor sharp point. The fins seem ragged and torn, more like spines. A long antenna ending in a bright white tip extends from its forehead. Its mouth is filled with thin, shark like teeth, and a large white spot can be seen on its chin.

"WE ARE THE HIGH GUARDIAN OF WATER. WELCOME TO OUR CHAMBER." Tethrik will begin to feel a powerful presence pierce into his mind, similar to the Lion's presence.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins

"Greetings. I am Tethrik, and this is Armonia." Tethrik recognizes the symbology of the two fish, but doesn't comment on it.

My Nexus characters

14. - Top - End - #284
    Halfling in the Playground

[Riverside Ruins]

Eschelle takes a few steps forward and examines the brass plate. It is taller than she is. "Do you fancy this is the door to the vault?" She passes her gaze over the featureless surface.

Jim can divine that the wands probably have something to do with illusory effects. Sticks is quite talented with them, and the quavery, erratic energy of the magic inside the wands speaks to Sticks' glamours. They likely do something grand and colorful... and perhaps dangerous.

Eschelle, after a few moments, goes to search the adjoining chamber on the left.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

[Riverside Ruins]

"It'd surely be my first candidate," Michalson says, as he crouches down next to the plate. "Catch a skeg around this place while I see just what it is."

He'll examine the plate closely, first through his magic-sight visor and then normally, to spot any enchantments, traps, locks, mechanisms or other surprises.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

16. - Top - End - #286

BarbarianGuy

Cyclopean Ruins

"We know. We also know why you are here. We also sense you are anticipating us outright attacking you like our fellow High Guardian, the Lion." the two fish further twist around each other, then seperate, still hovering over the pool."No worries Trial goers, we do not judge morals or ethics, only worthiness.And so we offer you our challenge." Water in the pool rises up, then solidifies into a stone table about 4 ft tall and 3 ft wide. On the table are several small statues, about an inch high each. "ARE YOU FAMILIAR WITH CHESS? FOR WE HAVE A PUZZLE TO TEST YOUR SKILLS. Upon our table sits 8 Queens. No Queen wishes to threaten or be threatened by another. PLACE THE QUEENS UPON THE TABLE, SO THEY MAY ALL REIGN IN PEACE."
    Spoiler
    Show

Q=Queen

[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

"Of course another option to pass this Trial would be to defeat us in battle. Which would be foolish indeed, for we are far stronger than our brethren you have encountered thus far. WHATEVER YOUR CHOICE, YOU MUST MAKE IT QUICK! After the Fish finish speaking, the sound of rushing water fills the air. Armonia sees past the Fish, the tunnel that was once straight ahead now is sealing itself. Looking back, the tunnel he and Tethrik entered from closes as well. "Unless you can breath underwater. And survive the bitter cold of our waters. FAILURE TO BEAT OUR TRIAL WILL SURELY MEAN YOUR DEATHS!" the pool in the center of the room starts to bubble. Suddenly, the water starts to rise, already increasing enough to touch the bottom of Tethrik and Armonia's feet, shocking them with icy cold.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins

"We choose chess!" Tethrik would rather not drown, and he's no good at underwater combat. He looks at the puzzle. "I've heard of this one. It's supposed to be really tough."

My Nexus characters

18. - Top - End - #288

BarbarianGuy

Cyclopean Ruins

The two Fish look at Each other for a moment, then look back towards Tethrik. "We believe that you misunderstood us. You have until your watery deaths to complete one of the two challenges. We do not care which one you wish to attempt. You could even attempt both at once since there are two of you. We will only defend ourselves from attack. We will not interfere with your attempts to solve the puzzle. NO MATTER WHAT, THE WATER SHALL RISE UNTIL ONE OF THE THREE FALL, THE PUZZLE, US, OR YOU."
    The numbing cold water has risen to ankle length and continues to steadily rise.

"Oh gods! Tethrik, you said you heard of this puzzle before, did you happen to hear the answer to it?" Armonia asks, pleadingly?

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins

"It has something to do with a rectangle, but not along the grid lines." Tethrik grabs two of the queens and puts them on the board.

Spoiler: board
    Show
    Q=Queen

[Q] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
    [ ] [Q] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

My Nexus characters

20. - Top - End - #290

BarbarianGuy

Cyclopean Ruins

"I think a couple go over here as well....Gods we need 8 of these, and none of them can threaten each other? I almost want to fight the Fish." Armonia quickly glances at the two hovering fish, then makes a repulsed face at their ugliness. "ALMOST...nah doing this is better."
    Show
    Q=Queen

[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [Q] [ ] [ ]
    [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [Q] [ ] [ ] [ ]

The water continues to rise, reaching the middle of Tethrik and Armonia's shin with its icy sting
    Last edited by ChaoticHarmony; 2018-04-28 at 02:25 PM.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins

"Maybe if we move them up?" Tethrik glances at the fish as well, trying to guage their weaknesses.

Show
    Q=Queen

[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [Q] [ ]
    [ ] [ ] [Q] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

My Nexus characters

22. - Top - End - #292

BarbarianGuy

Cyclopean Ruins

"Good idea, following that pattern, the next one should go here." Armonia places another one.
    Show
    Q=Queen

[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [Q]

"Wait no, this looks like it covers the entire board, and we still have 2 more to go"

The Fish observe quietly, their faces showing no expression. Every now and then they twist themselves together then seperate, almost as if they are doing a dance.

The water rises rapidly, already beginning to touch the top of Armonia and Tethrik's hips.
    Last edited by ChaoticHarmony; 2018-04-28 at 04:37 PM.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins

Tethrik is already beginning to shiver. "L-l-look, we can s-still put one here."

Show
    Q=Queen

My Nexus characters

24. - Top - End - #294

BarbarianGuy

Cyclopean Ruins

"L-l-look! Th-th-th-there's th-th-the l-l-last s-s-s-s-spot!" Armonia is shivering badly now as he grabs the last statue. As he goes to place it, his shaking hands accidently drop it. It rolls over the opposite side on the table into the freezing cold water. "NO!" Armonia screams as he scrambles over to the other side, splashing water all over the place. He takes a deep breath as he dives under the water to get it.
    "Oh my. What a foolish choice. even if he manages to retrieve that statue and completes the Trial.He will almost certainly die from the sheer cold of the water. INTERESTING DEVELOPMENT."
    The cold water has reached the top of Tethrik's belly button(do demons have belly buttons?)
    Show
    Q=Queen

25. - Top - End - #295
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins

"Blessit! You're going to get yourself killed! Tethrik dives after Armonia. He hears his body up, trying to fight off the deadly cold. He is fairly sure his body is better suited for staying underwater a long time. He has much greater lung capacity.

My Nexus characters

26. - Top - End - #296

BarbarianGuy

Cyclopean Ruins

Armonia resurfaces in a completely different part of the pool, the statue in his quivering hand and his skin turning an icy blue. "W-w-w-w-w-where's-s-s-s-s t-t-t-t-t-t-t-Tethrik-k-k-k-k?" Armonia stutters, as his head barely stays above the still rising water.

"He dived in after you. He thought what you did was very foolish It was very foolish of you to do that. As it was foolish of him to go after you.

"g-g-g-g-g-Gods!" Armonia dives back under the water, placing the statue on the table, without paying attention where, as he stiffly looks for Tethrik.

Show
    Q=Queen

[Q] [ ] [ ] [Q] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

27. - Top - End - #297
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins

Tethrik moves the queen to the correct place, then moves to Armonia, conjuring a flame to warm him up. "We solved your puzzle."

Show
    Q=Queen

[ ] [ ] [ ] [Q] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

My Nexus characters

28. - Top - End - #298

BarbarianGuy

Cyclopean Ruins

The fish look down at the board, inspecting it. Once satisfied, they nod. "YOU HAVE PASSED THE TRIAL OF WATER. WE BOW TO YOUR ENDURANCE AND RESOURCEFULNESS! the Fish inhale deeply, and as they inhale, the water begins to recede. The room warms slightly as more and more water disappears into the fishes mouths. When the last drop is drunk, blue lights appear across the room, similar to the ones in the main and Fire rooms.

"Now a warning before you proceed. We do not judge those who would use the Heaven's Light for Good. We do not judge those who would use the Heaven's Light for Evil. BUT THOSE WHO TAKE THE HEAVEN'S LIGHT FROM OUR SKY SHALL KNOW THE FEELING OF DEATH AND NOTHINGNESS. You have been warned Trial goers. May you heed our words."

With those words thus spoken, the fish disapate into mist. A clink can be heard on the ground where the pool once was as a blue crystal appears. A tunnel opens up behind Tethrik and Armonia.
    Last edited by ChaoticHarmony; 2018-04-29 at 02:59 PM.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins

"Why everyone seem to think I want to steal the stuff? I just have a box I need to immerse in it." Tethrik grumbles. He exits back to the main chamber.

My Nexus characters

30. - Top - End - #300

BarbarianGuy

Cyclopean Ruins

"Well let's see, you are a four armed monstrous humanoid with admitted ties to one of the burning pits of damnation." Armonia starts as he walks over to pick up the crystal. "You currently carry a box that was once owned by an Archdemon, if not Asmodeus himself." Armonia catches up to Tethrik. "And you say you want to open the box, a box that quasi-divine constructs couldn't peer into. Gee, I wonder why they think you may have more nefarious plans for what is essentially the divine focus of their ancient cult"

Tethrik might not have noticed what Armonia said, due to several noticeable changes.

First, Blue lights now mingle with Red lights across the entire cavern. Second, the center pedestal is raised upon a 5 ft circular step. And Third, and perhaps what will catch Tethrik's eye, there is now one less doorway than there originally was.