New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Serious Plots 7: Why so srs?

Cyclopean Ruins

"Woah." Tethrik moves to peer through each of the doors in turn. He also checks to be sure that the door he entered through is still there.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

(Cyclopean Ruins)

"What in the name of the gods was that?" Armonia cries out as he follows Tethrik into the room(through the door that is indeed still there). As he enters, the aura from his sword expands to encompass the room, bathing Tethrik and Armonia in the soft light as it reveals hundreds of magical points in the room. The points appear everywhere in the room, giving it a look similar to that of a clear night sky. If Tethrik can recognize them, he will even see some of the well known constellations scattered about. Above each entryway is a star much larger than all the rest. Looking to the ground shows even more magical 'stars' as well a three very thin but noticeable circles in the center of the room. The largest one appears to be 15ft in diameter, the second one within the first, 8ft, and the last one in the very center of the room appears to be 3ft. After gazing at the room for a moment, Armonia repeats Tethrik's statement. "Woah"

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins

Tethrik looks at the stars, but doesn't recognize the patterns. He peers through the first doorway, the one immediately to the left. "A bloodstone says that these ruins belonged to an elemental cult, and that there'll be element themed challenges."

My Nexus characters

4. - Top - End - #94

BarbarianGuy

(Cyclopean Ruins)

"That would be a safe bet....." Armonia looks at the doorways, counting each one, then looks to the circles in the center. "Well...doesn't seem like there is anything to do but go down one and see what awaits." Armonia casually strides over to the left most entrance where Tethrik is, then makes a grand gesture." After you oh wise keeper of the Flame." Armonia smiles widely, the excitement and curiosity clearly heard in his voice.
    Last edited by ChaoticHarmony; 2018-03-27 at 06:58 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    Steve's powers return to him. However, since he imagined what he saw as an ideal version of himself, Steve changed somewhat. Although he is nowhere near perfect, and his abilities did not increase in strength Steve now has more of an understanding of what a paladin must be.

((No problem. I'm sorry that this plot didn't go exactly as well as you might have planned))
    After thanking the dragon, Steve heads off to Trog's
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins
    Tethrik walks through the door, this time expecting the disorientation from the magic.

My Nexus characters

7. - Top - End - #97

BarbarianGuy

(Cyclopean Ruins)

Armonia follows Tethrik close behind, so as not to risk some trickery that would cause them to be separated. They enter a tunnel that appears very similarly to the room they left behind but for two notable differences. The first, and most obvious, the stone walls, ceiling and floor, instead of being as black as a starless night, are a bright fiery red. The second, which Armonia certainly notices while Tethrik may not, is the sweltering heat that fills the air. It is not so bad as to be unbearable, but certainly enough to be very uncomfortable. "Gods, when I made that quip about being the Keeper of Flames, I wasn't meaning this, lets go back and do a different one first." Armonia turns around, only to find the room they were just in is no longer there. In its place is a bright red wall. "Ah....nevermind..."

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins
    Tethrik doesn't notice the heat yet. It'll take a lot to get him to notice, since he could literally walk on molten lava unharmed. "Welcome, I presume, to the chamber of fire! Tethrik presses onward to see what kind of challenges await. He's fairly confident it'll be no problem for him, but Armonia might have more trouble. Had he been expecting elemental challenges, he would have bought potions of resistance and scrolls of Absorb Elements.

My Nexus characters

9. - Top - End - #99

BarbarianGuy

Armonia catches up with Tethrik as the walls make it bright enough to see without aid, and walks beside him, sweat beginning to pour down his face. After about 10 minutes of walking, with no notable change to the tunnel, the duo find themselves at a crossroad, three paths diverting from the one they currently walk. Without missing a step, Armonia begins to proceed down the leftmost one."Hey, left is right right? We might as well continue the pattern.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins

"Might as well just use the left-hand rule." Tethrik turns left, running his left hand along the wall. Seeing Armonia sweating from the heat he's perfectly comfortable in reminds him of his homeworld.

My Nexus characters

11. - Top - End - #101

BarbarianGuy

(Cyclopean Ruins)

Armonia attempts the left hand technique as well, and nearly burns his hand. Seems the walls aren't red because they're naturally that color, but because they are heated to the point of glowing red. Armonia grumbles as he watches Tethrik touch the wall with no problem, also taking note of how Tethrik is completely dry and fine while Armonia is sopping wet with sweat. The tunnel goes on for another 5 minutes before expanding into a mid sized room. In the center of the room sits a large bronze brazier, unlit. At the opposite end of the room stands a statue of a ram. The stand it sits on is 3 feet off of the ground, while the ram itself stands at 8 feet. Above the ram, words are carved into the burning stones. They read, in Primordial, 'ONLY THE FIERCEST FIRE BURNS ITS WAY TO ENLIGHTENMENT'
    Last edited by ChaoticHarmony; 2018-03-27 at 10:01 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins

Tethrik looks around the room, then raises his right hand and hurls a bolt of hellfire into the brazier to see what happens.

My Nexus characters

13. - Top - End - #103

BarbarianGuy

(Cyclopean Ruins)

As the hellfire hurls toward the brazier, the rams eyes begin to glow. Tethrik and Armonia start to feel a powerful breeze pulling them towards the room. This breeze catches the hellfire, and sucks it into the mouth of the ram. "Um.....I got the feeling we're gonna need to fight...." Armonia quips, his eyes burn bright as he looks at his sword again, drawing it to get ready.

Loud snaps fill the air as cracks begin to appear across the team's bronze surface. As a grand explosion that sends smouldering debris flying all over the room, A ram with a golden fleece, a pitchblack face, and horns of pure flame now stands where the statue once was. With an angry bleat, it jumps of its stand and over the brazier, charging straight towards Tethrik and Armonia. "Called it!"
    Last edited by ChaoticHarmony; 2018-03-28 at 11:31 AM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins
    Tethrik leaps at the ram, pouncing on it and grabbing at its throat, hoping to crush the life out of it.

My Nexus characters

15. - Top - End - #105

BarbarianGuy

(Cyclopean Ruins)

The ram ducks down under attempted grabs of Tethrik, and rams himself straight up in an attempt to burn him with his horns and batter him in his stomach.

Armonia dodges to the side, as his sword loses the strange aura it had before, and instead seems to return to normal. He attempts to take a stab at the ram's side while Tethrik is dealing with the front.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins

"Oof!" Tethrik is struck in the stomach. He stabs at the ram with his bladed upper arms, as Armonia's sword strikes from the side.

My Nexus characters

17. - Top - End - #107

BarbarianGuy

Tethrik's armblades stab into the thick fur of the ram's golden fleece, piercing into the tough hide underneath. The sliced wool of the fleece catches fire and puffs into deep black smoke, which Tethrik may find he can't see through(magical darkness)

Simultaneously, Armonia stabs straight into the ram's side, the piercing blade reaching through the fleece, but Armonia did not put enough strength behind the thrust to pierce the thick flesh underneath. He pulls back his blade.

Just as the ram violently whips toward Armonia, catching him across the chest with Tethrik's feet. It then charges straight for the wall, aiming to smash Tethrik, who hangs on its head, into the next life.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins
    Tethrik throws himself off the ram, twisting in midair to slash at the ram's flank, and narrowly avoiding being crushed by the creature.

My Nexus characters

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

[Riverside Caverns]

Jim smiles, hefting Sticks' bident over his shoulder.
    "Relax, boss-man. You know I'm not a fighter. If something comes up, I know when to fold 'em. Oh, and four of us." he says, using his head to gesture at Barnabas.
    Then he gives Sticks a quick hug, just to give the man some semblance of peace at sending a teenager into his own traps.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

20. - Top - End - #110

BarbarianGuy

(Cyclopean Ruins)

Tethrik armblade grazes the flesh of the ram's rear leg, cutting off a good chunk of the golden fleece. The fleece instantly burns to a crisp, causing even more of that weird smoke. Tethrik's aerial stunt lands him on the left side of the room.

When Tethrik's feet slammed into Armonia, he was flung to the right, hitting the wall before crashing down on his hands and knees. There are slight burn mark across Armonia's back where he hit the wall. He just manages to get to his feet, taking a defensive stance as he shakes off the stars he currently sees.

The ram crashes into the wall, causing the entire room to shake from the impact. It turns around, shaking some slight dust from its face as it looks at the two adventurers, gauging which one to go after. It determines that Armonia is the more vulnerable target and begins to charge at him, the ram's horns receding as it bellows out a firey gust at Armonia
    Last edited by ChaoticHarmony; 2018-03-28 at 03:40 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins
    Tethrik tackles the ram again, grabbing it around the waist and trying to drag it to the center of the room, where the brazier is. If he can, he'll try to get it to light the brazier with its breath.

My Nexus characters

22. - Top - End - #112

BarbarianGuy

(Cyclopean Ruins)

Armonia, just barely getting out of his daze, sees the large gust of flames fly straight towards him. With no time to dodge, he braces himself for a searing death.

Tethrik successfully drags the very surprised Ram over to the brazier. It thrashes about as it tries to escape, but Tethrik's four arms have a firm lock on it. As a last ditch effort, it ignites its entire body, the golden fleece it wears bursting into white hot flames, but Tethrik does not let go as his demonic heritage grants him immunity to flames.(if I may be allowed a dramatic god mod, if not I will retcon) When Tethrik approaches the bronze brazier, in an impressive show of strength, Tethrik lifts the still burning ram high above his head, the ram now thrashing in fear instead of anger. Tethrik then slams the ram into the brazier, which immediately lights up. The ram squirms and shrinks as magical fire consumes it. Upon its total consumption, the flame begins to grow even larger, as it pulls in the heat in the room. The walls and ceiling slowly begin to become pitch black, similar to the original room, though the bright red can still be seen in the tunnel the adventurers enter from.

Armonia blinks, looking around the room, wondering why he isn't burned to a crisp. A soft red glow flashes from his sword. "Ummmm....did we win?"

The fire in the brazier suddenly recedes. With a noticeable 'plink' a piece of red crystal drops in front of Tethrik.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins
    That was fine. I'm good with dramatics, although I would prefer to write the dramatic stuff for my own character."Looks like it. What do you think this is?" Tethrik holds up the crystal. He's exhausted from the titanic effort it took to drag the ram.

My Nexus characters

24. - Top - End - #114

BarbarianGuy

(Cyclopean Ruins)

Armonia takes a closer look at the crystal. "I don't know, but it looks like it's broken, see the jagged edge on this one side? This was clearly part of something bigger."

Armonia breathes deeply, happy to be alive and happy to have some respite from the heat. Seeing the exhaustion Tethrik is going through, and feeling a bit tired himself, Armonia says, "How about we take 5?"

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclone Ruins
    "Sure." Tethrik sits against the pedestal where the ram once stood. "I hope we don't have to go through a fight like that every time."

My Nexus characters

26. - Top - End - #116

BarbarianGuy

(Cyclopean Ruins)

"Agreed" Armonia says, taking a seat as well. "We have what? Three more challenges to beat before we get the 5th element? That's nothing!" Armonia smiles and breaks out one of the many health potions he bought, handing it to Tethrik.

Assuming nothing else happens, Armonia and Tethrik rest for several minutes before preparing to walk back into the burning tunnel, the heat emanating from it beginning to leak back into the room

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins
    Tethrik checks if the way back to the central room is clear. If not, he'll see what is down each side passage without touching anything.

My Nexus characters

28. - Top - End - #118

BarbarianGuy

(Cyclopean Ruins)

Tethrik and Armonia make theyre way back to the entrance to the main room, only to find it still blocked. Shrugging their shoulders, they turn back to the three tunnels. The leftmost one was already explored. The rightmost one reveals a room similar to the leftmost one, but with a large statue of a centaur in place of a ram. The center path reveals the same thing, but with a lion. Interestingly enough, the center room also has two torches on the left and right walls. The one on the left is lit while the one on the right is not. Armonia looks at Tethrik with a slightly depressed look. "We're gonna have to go through that again two more times, aren't we?"

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins
    "Maybe." Tethrik goes over to the statue of the lion. He tries to lift it into the brazier without giving it any fire to feed off of.

My Nexus characters

30. - Top - End - #120

BarbarianGuy

(Cyclopean Ruins)

The weight of the bronze lion is too great, even for Tethrik and his Herculean strength. Armonia walks over to the lit torch, then looks back to the unlit torch. "Why do you think there are torches in this room but not the other rooms?" Armonia ponders