New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Serious Plots 7: Why so srs?

Cyclopean Ruins
    Tethrik wasn't having a particularly good time holding the brazier, and it clatters to the ground. He responds by pointing at the Lion. A ribbon of dark power extends from his finger. The lion is surrounded by an aura of darkness, which saps his strength. Tethrik slashes at the Lion, and the aura flares in black flames, rotting the lion's flesh where it touches. (Necrotic damage)
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Tethrik's armblades comes slashing down on the Lion's muzzle simultaneously as the dark aura surrounding the lion erupts in black flames. The Lion roars out and attempts to bite Tethrik when he does this. If Tethrik looks closely, he will see that, despite the fact he landed a clean hit on the Lion, there is barely even a mark on his face. The only discernable difference seems to be the black flames that dot his once purely colorful mane.

Armonia charges at the Lion, jumping into the air with the intent to impale the beast on his sword, which his glowing eyes keep focus on.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins

Tethrik is irritated that the lion is unaffected by his attacks. He slashes again. "I will not give up until I have what I want. I won't even take your quintessence."

My Nexus characters

4. - Top - End - #154

BarbarianGuy

Cyclopean Ruins

The Lion's bite tears deep into Tethrik's flesh, ripping into the muscle and sinew of his lower right arm. But Tethrik's sudden fury surprises the Lion, forcing him to release the arm without ripping it off. The flurry of slashes from Tethrik, while still appearing to do next to nothing, are becoming more and more pronounced on the Lion's maw. The dark aura surrounding the Lion continually explodes in black neurotic flame, turning more and more of the Lion's mane black.

With a roar unlike any he has unleashed before, the Lion knocks Tethrik back about 5 ft. "YOU INSOLENT WELP! YOU CANNOT DEFEAT ME! I AM THE GRAND MASTER OF FLAME, ONE OF THE FOUR HIGH GUARDIANS OF THE HEAVEN'S LIGHT. I CANNOT BE BEATEN IN BATTLE, AND YOU SHALL NEV......" The Lion is cut off in mid sentence, as Armonia's sword pierces through the back of the Lion's throat, the tip just barely making it past its lips. The blade suddenly turns black as the dark aura surrounding the lion is sucked into it. Armonia, his feet badly burned from where he landed on the Lion, tumbles off, leaving his blade where it landed. Surprise fills the Lion's eyes, and he whimpers softly, before the blade unleashes a small explosion of necrotic energy. The Lion falls, his head now missing, with what remains of his mane flickering out.

The discarded and damaged brazier suddenly begins to roll itself back into place, a large flame appearing when it returns. The fire begins to grow rapidly as all the heat in the room, and even the heat in the tunnels begin to be absorbed. Unlike the other rooms, once all the heat is absorbed, the grand fire stays. Tethrik and Armonia, as they gather themselves, once again hear the voice of the Lion. "Trial goers....you have proven your worth in the Trial of Flames. The fire in your hearts burns the brightest, and so shall help guide your way to Heaven's Light. Be warned though, as this is only the Beginning. There are 9 more Guardians of this temple, and 3 more Trials for you to overcome. Work Diligently, and you shall meet your goal." And with that, the blackened room lights up as hundreds of red 'stars' appear across the empty vastness of the ceiling and walls. A familiar 'plink' sound is heard in front of the brazier.
    Last edited by ChaoticHarmony; 2018-03-31 at 08:53 PM.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

[B] Cyclopean Ruins[/B

"Huh. Wasn't he trying to kill us? If we can choose, let's do water next. I'm not sure, but I don't fancy fighting underwater while drained from the other challenges." Tethrik picks up the crystal and hands it to Armonia to slot into place.

My Nexus characters

6. - Top - End - #156

BarbarianGuy

"It might be our choice, the problem is we don't know what we're choosing." Armonia pulls out a few of his healing potions. He tosses one to Tethrik then pours another onto he burned feet. While he waits for the magic to work, he crawls over to the remains of the Lion, and shoves his hands into the entrails, his face eerily calm. He nods, seeming to find what he was looking for, and pulls out his sword.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins
    "Choosing the trial is easy. We just go straight across, like in the symbol. Fire is opposite Water. We should get moving, Iuvenus or another bounty hunter could arrive at any minute." Tethrik drinks the potion and walks back to the main room. He goes through the door opposite the door of fire.

My Nexus characters

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Riverside Cavern]

Michalson uses a perfectly normal, strong flashlight to peer into the gloom. The scraps of magic metal and leather just inside the entrance look uncomfortably like the remains of someone who either didn't make it very far in, or didn't make it out.
    [Riverside Cavern]

Waving goodbye to Sticks, Jim conjures a little ball of light, letting Barnabas maintain it. He gingerly steps over the scraps, grip tight on his bident. Honestly while he's practiced with it, he's not sure he fully grasps how to actually use its power. Only time will tell.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

9. - Top - End - #159

BarbarianGuy

Cyclopean Ruins

Passing through the main room, Armonia and Tethrik may notice the small but significant changes to it. The first, that it is much darker than when they first entered, with more than half of the star like lights snuffed out. The ones that are on are now a bright red, similar to the color of the Flames tunnel. Some of the lights also seem to form patterns. Also, a small pedestal now stands in the middle of the room, with nothing on it.

Once both enter the door opposite to the one they entered from, a drop can be felt landing on Tethrik's head. Then one on Armonia's. Then another, and another, and another. They start to pick up speed, until the entire tunnel is filled with the sound of heavy rain. The drops give off a soft blue glow, lighting the passage just enough to see.

"Well, you wanted Water next, I'm just glad we arent dumped into some sort of underground lake." Armonia says, quickly looking back to see that, once again, the tunnel blocks the entrance to the main room.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins
    "Ugh. I prefer the vacuum of space any day." The water obviously makes Tethrik uncomfortable, but he resolutely checks each of the three chambers to see what trials might await.

My Nexus characters

11. - Top - End - #161

BarbarianGuy

Cyclopean Ruins

Strangely enough, Tethrik and Armonia travel down a single tunnel for approximately 45 minutes before coming to a single room. In this room, it isn't raining, though there are puddles scattered across the floor. The only other thing within is a stone tablet on top of a stone pedestal, 5 feet off the ground in the middle of the room.

"Seriously? This is it? Lame....at least we got a bit of variety in the fire trial." Armonia snarkily says as he moves forward to check out the tablet.

On the tablet are 9 square spaces. Each square is blue with strange patterns, except the one on the bottom center, which is black, and the space directly above it, which is empty. On the square directly opposite to the black one is a picture of 2 fish, the bottom left, a picture of a crab, the middle right, a picture of a scorpion. The remaining blue ones simply have lines going in various directions. The black square shows a large circle, with a line drawn straight through it.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins
    "It must be some sort of puzzle." Tethrik gingerly presses the image of the scorpion. "This one is out of place. It is a desert creature."

My Nexus characters

13. - Top - End - #163

BarbarianGuy

Cyclopean Ruins

Nothing happens when Tethrik presses the scorpion stone, but he may notice that it is slightly loose. He also may notice that on closer inspection, the scorpion, fish, and crab stones also have lines. The scorpian's line starts at the bottom side and ends on its right side, the crab on its top side and ending on its left, and the fishes' line going horizontally across.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins
    Tethrik tries to remove the scorpion stone and replace it in the center.

My Nexus characters

15. - Top - End - #165

BarbarianGuy

Cyclopean Ruins

Tethrik doesn't succeed in removing the stone, but his attempt reveals that it slides. He pushes the stone into place. As he does so, the sound of rushing water fills the room. Once the stone settles, a tunnel on the opposite side of the room forms, the stone that was there previously seemingly melts into water.

"Well.....that's convenient...." Armonia says, readying his sword as he approaches the entryway.
    Last edited by ChaoticHarmony; 2018-04-03 at 06:57 AM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins
    Tethrik follows him into the passage.

My Nexus characters

17. - Top - End - #167

BarbarianGuy

Cyclopean Ruins

Armonia and Tethrik travel through the storming tunnel until they reach the next room. In it, like the last room, are puddles scattered all around. In the center of the room, stands a large Silver statue of a scorpion.

"Ummm.....isn't there supposed to be like a brazier or something we can try light on fire to awaken the guardian?" Armonia asks, looking around the room and finding nothing else.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins
    "If we were in the fire section, I would say yes. However, we are not." Tethrik scoops up some of the water from a puddle and pours it over the statue.

My Nexus characters

19. - Top - End - #169

BarbarianGuy

The silver statue begins to melt as soon as the water touches it. Underneath however, is not the large armored carapace of a scorpion the size of Tethrik. Instead, as more and more metal melts away, a shiny ocean green form, about the size of a small house cat, can be seen. As fast as a blur though, the creature dashes from its spot and crawls to the top of the cavern, pincers and tail swaying back and forth in delight.

"Oh Ho! Welcome to the Trial of Waters! I am your first Guardian, Scorpion! Hohohohohohohohoho, two of you? This will be even MORE fun then." the combined bright red gem flashes, sending a beam towards the Scorpion. It stops its constant motion for a moment "Only Fire? Oh boo, you gents are only beginning, usually Water is saved for last, Oh well, I guess I'll have to make it easy on you then. Go on, ask me what your challenge is, I'm SO excited to start!"
    Last edited by ChaoticHarmony; 2018-04-03 at 08:34 AM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins
    Tethrik shoots Armonia a look which says "Is this guy for real?" He then speaks up. "Alright, what is our trial?"

My Nexus characters

21. - Top - End - #171

BarbarianGuy

Cyclopean Ruins
    Armonia shrugs at Tethrik. He is not seeing anything wrong
    "Oh I'm so glad you asked!" At blinding speed, the Scorpion races down the side of the cavern and crawls to the top of Armonia's head, he points his tail at Armonia's throat, the deadly sharp spine aimed to pierce it. "It is very simple really....you have two objectives! The first is to simply hit me! Use a sword, axe, magic, arrows, physical manifestations of bad music, whatever you have at your disposal! The second, and this is the important one here.....SURVIVE! NOW, did you understand all that or do you need me to repeat?"
    Calmly, and without moving an inch, Armonia responds "Makes sense to me, just one question....are you starting on my head or do I actually get a chance to play?"

The Scorpion, after Tethrik responds, will quickly move off of Armonia and to the opposite end of the room, then say "Wonderful! Let's begin!"

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins
    "Ok. Let's start." Tethrik drops into a defensive stance, intending to find out what he needs to survive before going after the scorpion.

My Nexus characters

23. - Top - End - #173

BarbarianGuy

Cyclopean Ruins

The Scorpion starts off by firing three shots from his tail at Tethrik, and two more at Armonia. It then dashes off to the left side of Tethrik, laughing all the while. "Oh what fun what fun! I haven't been this excited since the Waterbearer and I had a race to see who was faster! You know me and him were always curious, why is it that I a scorpion am a guardian of Water while he a bearer of water is a guardian of Wind, it doesn't make any sense don't you think? I mean here I am, a creature that is typically found in the desert....." He continuously talks while the battle happens.

Armonia thankfully had his sword in the right place as the bullet fast projectiles splash against its edge without him needing to see them.

If Tethrik's eye is keen enough, he will notice that the bullets appear to only be water. If he allows any to hit him, he will not feel any pain, but a cold numbness, anywhere the water hits
    Last edited by ChaoticHarmony; 2018-04-03 at 10:44 AM.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins

Tethrik did not expect the scorpion to have a ranged attack, and he is struck by a few shots. He grunts, then attempts to conjure a bonfire beneath the scorpion.

My Nexus characters

25. - Top - End - #175

BarbarianGuy

Cyclopean Ruins

Steam starts to form underneath the Scorpion, but it is simply too wet right now to start a bonfire. The Scorpion rapidly moves across the wall, sending 5 more water bullets towards Tethrik and Armonia as he moves. "....desert, and instead of being given power over sand or wind or burning heat I'm given freezing cold water, I mean REALLY? I would've made a great Wind guardian running around as I am now creating tornadoes or blinding my opponents with sand OH and the size! I could totally been BIG and STRONG and TANKY. Speaking of tanks, how was Rammy? If you cleared the Fire trial then you must have...."

Armonia ducks and tumbles, seeing now that the little scorpion is adept at distance fighting. He tries to focus on the arachnid with his burning eyes but he is moving too fast. When he realizes that won't work, he trains his focus on the puddle the Scorpion is about to approach.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins

A tentacle suddenly bursts forth from the puddle Armonia targeted. It flails about itself, trying to strike anything nearby. Tethrik ducks under its flailing grasp and jumps at the scorpion, trying to grab it.

My Nexus characters

27. - Top - End - #177

BarbarianGuy

Cyclopean Ruins

"....have met him. You know he can be a real WOAH!" The Scorpion artfully dodges the tentacle , shooting 4 water bullets at it. The tentacle rapidly freezes, hardening to solid ice just as Tethrik avoids its last thrash. "I did NOT see THAT coming! How'd you do that, can you teach me? I would love to see the look on Ram's face if I suddenly summoned a tentacle at him. He would TOTALLY find it funny well maybe not he is kind if a hard head but you guys..." the Scorpion dodges Tethrik's grab at the last second, jumping onto his arms and crawling all around him until he makes it to Tethrik's back, where jumps off, firing another water bullet at Armonia as he scuttles away.

Armonia anticipates this and brings his sword up just in time. Holding his sword is starting to feel a little painful as it begins to freeze. He turns his chaotic gaze onto his sword.
    Last edited by ChaoticHarmony; 2018-04-03 at 02:21 PM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins

Tethrik reaches into his belt pouch and retrieves something, holding it in his hand, waiting for the opportune moment to throw it. The glimmer of red shines from within his clenching hand.

My Nexus characters

29. - Top - End - #179

BarbarianGuy

Cyclopean Ruins

Armonia's sword suddenly shrinks down to the size of a dagger, it seems his luck with his power ran out. "Gods dammit!" He says, pulling out his other dagger. " at least it isn't cold anymore....TETHRIK! Can I get a hand?" Armonia then begins to charge at Tethrik, jumping into the air towards him, hoping he understands what he wants.

The Scorpion meanwhile has stopped moving for just a second as he laughs hard at Armonia "Hohohohohohohohoho, shrinking your weapon isn't going to help you you know! Hohohohohohoho!" As it finishes laughing, it fires 5 water bullets at the puddles closest to Tethrik, freezing 3 instantly.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins

When the scorpion stops to laugh, Tethrik sees his chance. He hurls a fistful of rubies at the scorpion, and they scatter through the air, forming a cone of glittering red gems. Hopefully, one will hit the scorpion.

My Nexus characters