New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1110 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Doesn't Minrah have protection from evil up already?
    Protection from evil only lasts one minute per caster level; it expiring before the fight (or worse, expiring mid-fight) is a distinct possibility. I suppose Minrah could cast it again right before the fight, like Hilgya said she'd do with her wand, if Minrah has it prepared another time.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Elan has a very fair point there.

And I'm not sure such a sentence is a good thing or not.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    If I may quote V from that same strip ...
    Perhaps we do not know everything we ought to regarding the task which we are undertaking.
    That might be worth pointing out before they enter the hall.

Good call by Blackwing to ask for Restoration to be cast on V.

The old Vaudeville era "he doesn't know that we know that he know what we know" routine was well reprised in that discussion between Roy and Belkar. (And it's another "Roy is overthinking this" episode as well).

Nice strip.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2018-01-18 at 05:11 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

4. - Top - End - #34
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffnoy View Post
    Huh, I'm surprised Minrah isn't Lawful. Did she ever say what god she serves? I'm looking and I don't see it, it doesn't look like she did.
    Minrah worships Thor. Her alignment, particularly her ethical alignment, has never been stated. Given that she used protection from evil on herself without suffering the negative effects Belkar experiences with that spell (or the similar negative effects Roy thinks he'd suffer from protection from law), she's almost certainly not Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    V will be protected from the level drain touch attack and he gets his levels/spells back
    Unless Mr. Burlew is feeling particularly generous, Vaarsuvius will not regain spells from restoration. Those spell slots are still regarded as having been expended.

She will, however, regain hit points and save bonuses.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    New comic is up.
    Got a physical laugh out of me :D
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Unfortunately, this shows that Durkon was paying attention. Perhaps the fact that the vampire is relying on Durkon's memories won't help the party as much as they think.
    The vampire has been shown to not be able to put two and two together when it comes to these memories though...

Not saying it won't happen, it's just that there's some textual support for it happening the other way.
    Quote Originally Posted by i6uuaq View Post
    My bid to win an internet.

Spoiler
    Show

To those who say that the timing is wrong for familicide, besides the fact that dry air can mummify bodies effectively, and this has been observed in real life, I offer this second thought:

Do I win?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Honestly, I always thought Roy regularly comes up with detailed plans. They just inevitably get derailed by some wacky circumstance.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

Is that a typo in the second to last panel?
    Elan: "Whoa, whoa, who, Roy"...

As opposed to, "Whoa, whoa, whoa"
    Last edited by JustAnotherSoul; 2018-01-18 at 05:31 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You know Elan, just because your observation is pertinent and correct doesn't mean it's welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gildedragon View Post
    "How much to help you craft items? I'll cover the XP costs" All Lvl 15 Githyanki

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

That punchline is absolutely wonderful.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

At long last, we use our magical prowess. Let’s go OoTS!

12. - Top - End - #42

ElfWarriorGuy

The plan is indeed genius.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Protection from Law - would that necessarily even work against these vampires? The Creed of the Stone vampires, could well originally haven been True Neutral, couldn't they? Making their vamp forms either Neutral Evil or Chaotic Evil... no law required.

This is going to be their big oversight, isn't it?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A: Chaotic Neutral Human Sorcerer (5th Level)

Ability Scores:

Strength - 11
    Dexterity - 16
    Constitution - 11
    Intelligence - 15
    Wisdom - 12
    Charisma - 11

14. - Top - End - #44
    Colossus in the Playground

No. It doesn't matter. All the Protection from X Alignment spells null mind control regardless of the source of the mind control. They could use Protection from Good and it would still work.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by drazen View Post
    Protection from Law - would that necessarily even work against these vampires? The Creed of the Stone vampires, could well originally haven been True Neutral, couldn't they? Making their vamp forms either Neutral Evil or Chaotic Evil... no law required.
    Assuming both that they were, in fact, Neutral on the Law-Chaos axis, and that the vampire alignments work the way you think they work, yes.

Both assumptions are under no obligation to be true, of course.

Listen to the Kish and not the Peelee.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-01-18 at 06:29 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

16. - Top - End - #46
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

"Especially since he doesn't know that you have two clerics!"

In what world does he not know that? They just made the comment that there are vampires standing in the room with him that they just fought. Both clerics were present in that fight, and the vampires that escaped were actually TURNED by Hilgya. Minrah cast Protection from Evil in the same fight.
    The vampires should absolutely know that the party has two clerics, or that it is at least a strong possibility that they do, and since the party knows that the vampires they just fought have joined back up with Greg, it is reasonable for them to assume that Greg knows also. The only thing Greg doesn't know is the levels of the clerics (Hilgya's strength may catch him somewhat by surprise).

The only time this would not be the case would be if the vamps that bugged out had neglected to tell Greg about the two clerics they fought, but that would seem to be a pretty major oversight.

As far as I can tell, everyone knows that everyone knows everything, with the only exception being that Greg does not know that the party knows about the Symbol of Death, so he may be counting on that helping him, when it will in fact be useless if the party prepares properly.
    So pretty much: both sides know that it is a trap, and both sides know that both sides know it is a trap, so basically all we have here is an attacking team and a defending team, both of which have plenty of time to prepare for the fight, and the attacking team knows about exactly ONE of the defending team's traps.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Why would a protection from Law spell work against the swirly-eyes? Can we count on every one of the vamped minions having been lawful? For that matter, is Durkon* still lawful? (forget this part-I was ninja'd)

I was thinking that Roy's statement that the spell would just give him a headache because... is an important foreshadowing. I originally thought that it was because he was already mind blanked, but V supposedly was too, so shouldn't it go for her?

Is Roy really Roy? One would think so given that he used the greenhilt power earlier. Or did V not actually cast mind blank before because she lost it from level drain and has a different spell in that slot?

Also, I still think that Durkon* is using the trap and the rest of his minions to delay Roy while he vamps the council.
    Last edited by Manty5; 2018-01-18 at 06:35 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Manty5 View Post
    Why would a protection from Law spell work against the swirly-eyes? Can we count on every one of the vamped minions having been lawful? For that matter, is Durkon* still lawful?
    Wheeeeeee!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    It doesn't matter. All the Protection from X Alignment spells null mind control regardless of the source of the mind control. They could use Protection from Good and it would still work.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

19. - Top - End - #49

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherSoul View Post
    Is that a typo in the second to last panel?
    Elan: "Whoa, whoa, who, Roy"...

As opposed to, "Whoa, whoa, whoa"
    I just tuned in to note the same thing. I'm sure it will be corrected directly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

I wonder why the vampire decided to do this sort of taunt at all. Petty vengeance? Trying to lure them into a trap rather than risk being interrupted later? I like the use of the scrying pool a lot, as well, it's been great these last couple comics.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2018-01-18 at 06:42 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shoelessgdowar View Post

Also, is it just me, or in Panel 8 doesn't it seem like Kudzu us still using the scrying water? How many Cleric levels has he already gained by hanging around on his mother's chest? Scrying is a 5th level Cleric spell, so that implies Kudzu is at least level 9 to use it (the level thread theorists can have a field day with that. And yes, this is a joke... But what if it isn't?).
    Nah, Helga cast it, he’s just maintaining it. After all, once she cast it, everyone could see what was going on.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Can someone confirm that when Roy responding to the sending, Roy was in control of where he stopped the message back? Because by my count, the 25 words allowed by the spell would include his next speech bubble, where he blurts out that he is aware of the trap.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

I was thinking that Roy's statement that the spell would just give him a headache because... is an important foreshadowing. I originally thought that it was because he was already mind blanked, but V supposedly was too, so shouldn't it go for her?
    Like Belkar being hurt by Protection from Evil because he’s Evil; Roy will be hurt by Protection from Law because he is Lawful.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kashem View Post
    So pretty much: both sides know that it is a trap, and both sides know that both sides know it is a trap, so basically all we have here is an attacking team and a defending team, both of which have plenty of time to prepare for the fight, and the attacking team knows about exactly ONE of the defending team's traps.
    Nitpick : two traps, all the non-caster vampires will drop on V to try to drain his levels and fail due to the death ward.
    I agree with everythingelse you said, though.

Is Roy really Roy? One would think so given that he used the greenhilt power earlier. Or did V not actually cast mind blank before because she lost it from level drain and has a different spell in that slot?
    If protection from Evil burns the evil Belkar, it seems logical that protection from Law gives the lawful Roy an headache.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    I wonder why the vampire decided to do this sort of taunt at all. Petty vengeance? Trying to lure them into a trap rather than risk being interrupted later? I like the use of the scrying pool a lot, as well, it's been great these last couple comics.
    I think it's pretty clear by this point that Undurkon wants the pleasure of killing Roy personally instead of having him die when theworld is unmade. I predict that his willingness to put his own murderous desires before his mistress's plans will spell failure for both.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2018-01-18 at 06:55 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

25. - Top - End - #55

AssassinGuy

Can someone confirm that when Roy responding to the sending, Roy was in control of where he stopped the message back? Because by my count, the 25 words allowed by the spell would include his next speech bubble, where he blurts out that he is aware of the trap.

GW
    Wondered about that myself.

The SRD on line says it's 25 words or less, which sort of makes sense, otherwise the spell caster would have to Send the next 25 words out of their mouth, whatever they were. And "the recipient can answer in like manner", so I assume the "or less" is a conscious choice.
    Namer Of MitD Threads

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

GW
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sending.htm

It says can reply not automatically does.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Nitpick : two traps, all the non-caster vampires will drop on V to try to drain his levels and fail due to the death ward.
    You're still left with several vampires grappling a wizard who can't cast dimension door. Blood drain or no, level drain or no, those squishy hit points ain't stickin' around long.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2018-01-18 at 06:58 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

"He'll never see that coming!!" Hilarious, because it's totally true.

29. - Top - End - #59

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sending.htm

It says can reply not automatically does.
    I think (not to speak for GW, just for me) the question is, once Roy did reply, did he automatically reply with 25 words. But I think the answer is "no, he can stop replying when he's done." He doesn't have to use up all 25 words in his reply.
    Namer Of MitD Threads

30. - Top - End - #60
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Count Clownshoes" +1