New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Question to those that have Netflix

So I think I'm caving in and finally getting Netflix. I just have a question about their plans. The cheapest plan is $7.99 a month, but it doesn't include HD or Ultra HD videos. Does this allow me to watch (Ultra) HD films/shows/videos but just at a lower resolution, or is that impossible with that plan?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Question to those that have Netflix

Quote Originally Posted by Some Android View Post
    So I think I'm caving in and finally getting Netflix. I just have a question about their plans. The cheapest plan is $7.99 a month, but it doesn't include HD or Ultra HD videos. Does this allow me to watch (Ultra) HD films/shows/videos but just at a lower resolution, or is that impossible with that plan?
    That's.... a good question. I'd assume that you can watch the entire library, just at lower resolution, since I haven't noticed anything listed as being on Netflix that I can't watch, but now I'm not sure. I've never actually looked into it.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    That's.... a good question. I'd assume that you can watch the entire library, just at lower resolution, since I haven't noticed anything listed as being on Netflix that I can't watch, but now I'm not sure. I've never actually looked into it.
    May I ask what plan you have? I believe there are three plans available each at a different cost:

-One that doesn't include HD or Ultra HD videos.
    -One that includes HD but not Ultra HD videos.
    -One that includes both HD and Ultra HD videos.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Some Android View Post
    May I ask what plan you have? I believe there are three plans available each at a different cost:

-One that doesn't include HD or Ultra HD videos.
    -One that includes HD but not Ultra HD videos.
    -One that includes both HD and Ultra HD videos.
    HD, but no Ultra Hd. Frankly, I don't care about HD, I can't even tell for the most part; it's just the one what gets me two screens at once. 4 screens is too much money. If i could get it without HD for cheaper, I would.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-01-18 at 08:19 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

HD, but no Ultra Hd. Frankly, I don't care about HD, I can't even tell for the most part; it's just the one what gets me two screens at once. 4 screens is too much money. If i could get it without HD for cheaper, I would.
    I can see your reasoning for that. I'd get more screens, except I'm going to be the only one using this so multiple screens at once is pointless.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I plan to get Netflix myself at some point so would be interested in the answer--if it's anything like Amazon Video, though, you can get SD versions of HD movies no problem; I watched Tron in SD on Amazon Video the other day, because it was cheaper than the HD version and I'm not sure my viewing setup is capable of processing the DRM they put on HD movies.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

I don't know with a 100% certainty that every video is available for every price plan. What I do know, is, that every video that I can watch with my hd subscription, has the option to be played at really low resolutions, for people with slower internet connections.

All videos are there in multiple resolutions, so it would be nonsensical to not make them available to everyone.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Have someone stand near your 1080/4k tv during the 10 o'clock news. See how the anchors glow at higher resolution than the real life person?

If that bothers you like it does me then no need to splurge on unrealistic cartoon definition.

If gou think its the most beautiful thing ever, and my good brother in law does, get the HD package.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by MarkVIIIMarc View Post
    Have someone stand near your 1080/4k tv during the 10 o'clock news. See how the anchors glow at higher resolution than the real life person?

If that bothers you like it does me then no need to splurge on unrealistic cartoon definition.

If gou think its the most beautiful thing ever, and my good brother in law does, get the HD package.
    What does your evil brother in law think?
    Quote Originally Posted by Murmaider View Post
    I don't know with a 100% certainty that every video is available for every price plan. What I do know, is, that every video that I can watch with my hd subscription, has the option to be played at really low resolutions, for people with slower internet connections.

All videos are there in multiple resolutions, so it would be nonsensical to not make them available to everyone.
    I've noticed on rare occasion the video quality drops noticeably, which I always just chalked up to the internet slowing for a bit, and a Netflix automatically dropping the quality so it wouldn't stop the show. I know very, very little about computers, though, so I don't know if this is relevant.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-01-19 at 10:18 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

What does your evil brother in law think?
    Lol, my bad brother in law, who is just a little "Cousin Eddie", he isn't in prison or anything, loves every new gadget lol.

On a side note to the OP, what speed internet connection do you have? Netflix will nerf your resolution to keep the movie playing. When I've had 5mbs down .5 up speeds it nerfed a bit during busy times.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Our plan has had price creep up to 10 bucks and some change over the past few years. Do you know if that 7.99 is a new buyer special?
    I wonder if they up'd our plan without informing us (or we ignored the e-mails), and we can go down.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

If you have a slower connection, you can force a higher resolution by pressing shift+ctrl+alt+S(on windows) at the same time and choose a higher bitrate for the video. You'll get some buffering, but a higher video quality.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Our plan has had price creep up to 10 bucks and some change over the past few years. Do you know if that 7.99 is a new buyer special?
    I wonder if they up'd our plan without informing us (or we ignored the e-mails), and we can go down.
    $10 is the HD and 2 screens. $8 is no HD, one screen. $14 is ultra HD and four screens. All assuming streaming only, and you don't get the discs.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Murmaider View Post
    You'll get some buffering, but a higher video quality.
    I'd rather have a lower quality video that isn't pausing every minute or two to buffer, frankly. There's nothing that kills the pacing of a well-crafted movie or video like those spinning dots coming up in the middle.