New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default What instrument would you use to represent each OOTs member?

For example, I think the violin would represent Vaarsuvius because it's showy, versatile, and needs careful tuning. The time and focus needed to master the violin could reflect the studying V took to achieve arcane power.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: What instrument would you use to represent each OOTs member?

Elan's instrument would definitely be a lute!

I think Belkar would probably be a drum of some sort because I instinctively think of drums as 'violent' instruments. Maybe he'd be a pair of drums, symbolising lust and hate.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

V is a set of bagpipes because, as awesome, loud and spectacular as they are, they're pretty much a guaranteed disaster if you're not fully in control.
    Last edited by hroşila; 2018-01-18 at 09:14 PM.
    ungelic is us

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Syncro View Post
    For example, I think the violin would represent Vaarsuvius because it's showy, versatile, and needs careful tuning. The time and focus needed to master the violin could reflect the studying V took to achieve arcane power.
    I disagree strongly. Of the occidental orchestral instruments, Vaarsuvius is and can only be brass. Her theme would be in trumpets and trombones, with Blackwing's flute flitting in and out.

Violins are much more like to Elan, with his carefree attitude and childish persona, but also his uplifting spirit and infectious optimism.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2018-01-18 at 09:54 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post

Violins are much more like to Elan, with his carefree attitude and childish persona, but also his uplifting spirit and infectious optimism.
    Would fiddles be better?

BTW, I like your MLP avatars.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As a group theme, whatever it is that makes that "wa-wa-waaaa" sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

I'm going to think about this playing by "Peter and the Wolf" rules. One person, one instrument, going by sound alone. (Peter and the Wolf doesn't completely follow these rules, strictly speaking, but close enough.)

Roy is the guy who spurs other people on, who leads by example. That would usually suggest a trumpet. I have half a mind to make him a trombone instead to get more out of his careful planning, the emotional parts and projecting him as a big strong fighter, but if he's a trumpet that means Thog can be the trombone, which would work great for their duel. So trumpet it is.

Haley is sneaky, there one moment gone the next, but she also need to sound decidedly good. I'd probably go for some woodwind, they're good at quick notes and at positive sounding melodies. Clarinet would give her the range to also do the sad parts, so clarinet it is.

Durkon is loyal above all else. The steady, dependable base of the orchestra. And he goes together well with Roy. So Durkon gets to be a tuba. Evil Durkon can then be a baritone. It plays the same themes as the tuba did, but there's something off about it a layman like myself can't quite put their finger on.

Belkar is chaotic and clashes with the rest of the world. He can be an electric guitar. Better yet, an electric ukulele.

V is hard. V needs to be powerful, which makes me think Timpani, the heavy distant drumrolls of the orchestra. That's not much of a solo instrument though, and V has a habit of grabbing attention. So I think I'm going with Cello instead. Powerful and solo-able. Also a bit aloof, very classical instrument, definitely capable of playing like it's better than you.

Elan I think I would make a melody rather than an instrument. The most recognizable tune in the piece. It's played on lute most often, but his heroic swordsman moments have it played on classical acoustic guitar, and the part where he plays kazoo is kept in as well. Maybe even have someone hum or sing or tap on a table for those moments he's without instrument. This way Elan stands out from the normal people without getting close to Belkar.

Nale might be one of those folk instruments with a few strings, a few bells, a part that makes a tapping sound, basically the multiclasser of the instruments. Think one man band.

And I should probably stop there before I go into a hundred background characters.

TL;DR:
    Roy: Trumpet
    (Thog: Trombone)
    Haley: Clarinet
    Durkon: Tuba
    (Darth Durkon: Baritone)
    V: Cello
    Belkar: Electric ukulele
    Elan: Very recognizable theme on lute, acoustic guitar, kazoo and more
    Nale: something homemade that tries to be everything at ones.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    I disagree strongly. Of the occidental orchestral instruments, Vaarsuvius is and can only be brass. Her theme would be in trumpets and trombones, with Blackwing's flute flitting in and out.

Interesting links. The trombone's role as the rhythm section in jazz definitely made me overlook its more aggressive role in older music.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    I'm going to think about this playing by "Peter and the Wolf" rules. One person, one instrument, going by sound alone. (Peter and the Wolf doesn't completely follow these rules, strictly speaking, but close enough.)

Roy is the guy who spurs other people on, who leads by example. That would usually suggest a trumpet. I have half a mind to make him a trombone instead to get more out of his careful planning, the emotional parts and projecting him as a big strong fighter, but if he's a trumpet that means Thog can be the trombone, which would work great for their duel. So trumpet it is.

Haley is sneaky, there one moment gone the next, but she also need to sound decidedly good. I'd probably go for some woodwind, they're good at quick notes and at positive sounding melodies. Clarinet would give her the range to also do the sad parts, so clarinet it is.

Durkon is loyal above all else. The steady, dependable base of the orchestra. And he goes together well with Roy. So Durkon gets to be a tuba. Evil Durkon can then be a baritone. It plays the same themes as the tuba did, but there's something off about it a layman like myself can't quite put their finger on.

Belkar is chaotic and clashes with the rest of the world. He can be an electric guitar. Better yet, an electric ukulele.

V is hard. V needs to be powerful, which makes me think Timpani, the heavy distant drumrolls of the orchestra. That's not much of a solo instrument though, and V has a habit of grabbing attention. So I think I'm going with Cello instead. Powerful and solo-able. Also a bit aloof, very classical instrument, definitely capable of playing like it's better than you.

Elan I think I would make a melody rather than an instrument. The most recognizable tune in the piece. It's played on lute most often, but his heroic swordsman moments have it played on classical acoustic guitar, and the part where he plays kazoo is kept in as well. Maybe even have someone hum or sing or tap on a table for those moments he's without instrument. This way Elan stands out from the normal people without getting close to Belkar.

Nale might be one of those folk instruments with a few strings, a few bells, a part that makes a tapping sound, basically the multiclasser of the instruments. Think one man band.

And I should probably stop there before I go into a hundred background characters.

TL;DR:
    Roy: Trumpet
    (Thog: Trombone)
    Haley: Clarinet
    Durkon: Tuba
    (Darth Durkon: Baritone)
    V: Cello
    Belkar: Electric ukulele
    Elan: Very recognizable theme on lute, acoustic guitar, kazoo and more
    Nale: something homemade that tries to be everything at ones.
    Please do. You're amazing at this.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Elanasaurus View Post
    I think Belkar would probably be a drum of some sort because I instinctively think of drums as 'violent' instruments. Maybe he'd be a pair of drums, symbolising lust and hate.
    Belkar is, to quote terry Patchet, "One of natures percussionists"
    I love playing in a party with a couple of power-gamers, it frees me up to be Elan!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Duff View Post
    Wow! You revived a thirteen-day-silent thread for me? I'm so honoured

I like your sig. It's great to talk to another Elan.

Edit: i'm bad at counting
    Last edited by Elanasaurus; 2018-02-01 at 09:35 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Duff View Post
    And not to be pedantic (although, honestly, I love being pedantic)- it's the late Sir Terry Pratchett

I will put that down to a typo on your part.

(And as a side note, I too am a natural percussionist, since my fingers seem just long enough to wrap around a drumstick.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Elan's instrument would definitely be a lute!
    Nah, Elan would be a kazoo--a nice simple thing that occasionally makes an entertaining noise but which nobody takes really seriously.

14. - Top - End - #14

Lizardfolk

I'd love to hear Vs deal played out by an orchestra and choir. Inky represented by a solo violin, V by the brass section with each spirit being a different instrument that fades out as the soul splice is broken until only a solo is left against whatever instruments are Xykon.
    I don't know instruments too well. I only know if I had infinite money I'd get Howard Shore onto this.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Do instruments of torture count?
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Haley = saxaphone
    Elan = trumpet
    Durkon = tuba
    Vaarsuvius = clarinet
    Belkar = cymbals
    Roy = snare drum

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Do instruments of torture count?
    Roy = Head Crusher
    Haley = Iron Maiden
    Elan = Pear of Anguish
    Vaarsuvius = Witch's Bridle
    Durkon = Heretic's Fork
    Belkar = Thumbscrew

Blackwing = Pillory
    Mr. Scruffy = Iron Chair
    Minrah = Breast Ripper
    Hilgya = Scavenger's Daughter
    Kudzu = Judas Cradle
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Roy = Head Crusher
    Haley = Iron Maiden
    Elan = Pear of Anguish
    Durkon = Heretic's Fork
    Belkar = Thumbscrew

Blackwing = Pillory
    Mr. Scruffy = Iron Chair
    Minrah = Breast Ripper
    Kudzu = Judas Cradle
    I'm equal parts amazed and horrified of your knowledge regarding instruments of torture.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Roy = Head Crusher
    Haley = Iron Maiden
    Elan = Pear of Anguish
    Durkon = Heretic's Fork
    Belkar = Thumbscrew

Blackwing = Pillory
    Mr. Scruffy = Iron Chair
    Minrah = Breast Ripper
    Kudzu = Judas Cradle
    Mr Scruffy should obviously be a Cat O' Nine Tails.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

20. - Top - End - #20

PirateCaptain

This is fun

Let's see...

I think V would be a piano, or a cembalo or something like that, because they're the only instruments that attempt to do everything on their own, which is the closest goal to V's intent of achieving ultimate arcane power.

Elan a kazoo for the reasons stated above. Or a cheerful fiddle.

Durkon strikes me as a fagotto. But it's a woodwind and I'm not sure a Dwarf would have anything to do with wood, so maybe tuba is better after all.

Haley, I'd say flute or recorder because she can be both silly and very serious. So can the others but she fluctuates more and that's the feeling flutes and recorders give me.

Belkar... I think it should be something that can work well with others if it wants to, but can also be very disruptive if it doesn't... Dunno... Trumpet?

Roy would just be a disgruntled unamused maestro trying to contain the cacophony.

Don't take any of my opinions expressed about instruments as informed, I'm mostly talking out of my ass
    Last edited by SilverCacaobean; 2018-02-02 at 10:03 AM. Reason: clarity

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

]I think Belkar would probably be a drum of some sort because I instinctively think of drums as 'violent' instruments. Maybe he'd be a pair of drums, symbolising lust and hate.
    or maybe an electric guitar since they're associated with violent heavy metal songs
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

22. - Top - End - #22

PaladinGuy

I wonder if V might be better as an organ? Capable of great variety and capable of drowning out everything else.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    I wonder if V might be better as an organ? Capable of great variety and capable of drowning out everything else.
    With literal gods in the story who speak from time to time, it seems out of place to use the King of Instruments to represent a mortal, however ultimate her (fleeting) power.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post

I want to suggest the Franch Horn (or German Horn or just Horn, it is rather confusing) for similar reasons. This most majestic brass instrument in the orchestra (why yes, I play the Horn myself) has an immense range both in pitch and character. It plays both great alone and in an ensemble. For more power, just add more horns and it will sound just as great. For Darth V, use stopped horns (maybe mixed with open horns) or Wagner Tubas to get a sound that is recognisable as being the same but somehow warped. Wikipedia fittingly describes the sound of a Wagner Tuba as "more distant, yet also more focused."

As a bonus: while officially part of the brass section (though inconclusive if low or high brass), the French Horn is musically often grouped with the wood winds and is part of both the traditional wood wind quintet and the brass quintet.
    Last edited by Iruka; 2018-02-05 at 04:59 PM.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

I'm gonna go a bit off topic and say I think MiTD would be a drum set, since it's a very load, fun and the has various levels of volume

26. - Top - End - #26
    Halfling in the Playground

Belkar would be either a heavy metal guitar or bagpipes

Roy, Possibly guitar, possibly a trumpet

V? Violin.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goblinwarrior57 View Post
    I'm gonna go a bit off topic and say I think MiTD would be a drum set, since it's a very load, fun and the has various levels of volume
    Either that, or it's sound effects coming from a tent/cage/something covered by black cloth/giant cardboard box or something. And the whole time you're guessing: "That sounds a bit like a spinning bicycle wheel, which makes sense with the metallic noises from earlier, but where did he get the deep growl from then?"

What it eventually turns out to be?
    Spoiler: Monster in the Dark
    Show
    You'll have to watch the whole play to find out.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!