New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default AD&D 2nd Edition Magic Resistance Question

Now, I was just curious. But in Second Edition, did Magic Resistance affect spells cast by the Caster himself/herself or an ally?

For example, a Drow Mage tries to cast Haste on himself. If he had about 50% Magic Resistance, would he have a 50% chance of having his own Magic Resistance cause the failure getting Hasted?

Just wondering.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: AD&D 2nd Edition Magic Resistance Question

Quote Originally Posted by DragonclawExia View Post
    Now, I was just curious. But in Second Edition, did Magic Resistance affect spells cast by the Caster himself/herself or an ally?

For example, a Drow Mage tries to cast Haste on himself. If he had about 50% Magic Resistance, would he have a 50% chance of having his own Magic Resistance cause the failure getting Hasted?

Just wondering.
    It does affect beneficial spells, but they can consciously suppress their magic resistance for the round during which it's cast if I remember correctly. This does of course open them to spells by other magic-users that wouldn't be protected against, but I suppose that's what the +2 to saves is for.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

I don't think they can suppress their own magical resistance. I play like that in 5th edition too. If you have a magic resistance that's racially based and just a part of you as opposed to something you have to put up and put down then all spells are affected.

I do remember a case where a drow dropped a fireball on himself in hopes his MR would protect him and specific mentioning in the books somewhere that a cure light wounds from a friend has as much chance of failing on a drow as a magic missile from an enemy.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

I always played it like voluntarily failing a saving throw. You can automatically allow a caster's spell to affect you if you desire. Whether the caster casts the spell you think they're going to is something else, of course. I was pretty sure that was the official ruling, but I'm not finding it in the PHB or the DMG.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

5. - Top - End - #5
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Player's Handbook
    Magic resistance is an innate ability--that is, the possessor does not have to do anything special to use it. The creature need not even be aware of the threat for his magic resistance to operate. Such resistance is part of the creature or item and cannot be separated from it. (Creatures, however, can voluntarily lower their magic resistance at will.)
    Emphasis added.

Precisely how voluntarily lowering magic resistance works is not spelled out, though. Generally, I require someone who wants to lower their magic resistance to take a round to do so, as their action, and they are vulnerable to attack during that time.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

6. - Top - End - #6

Planetar

Although the wording is a little muddled I think the Players book RAI is stating that the Drow Mage would be able to cast the spell on themselves as it states that magic resistance has no effect on the creatures own casting of spells or any magic items they use. I interpreted that as it not blocking spells and magic items that the character uses on themselves. However if a teammate were to want to cast a buffing spell on the Drow Mage then the mage would need to suppress their magic resistance in order for it to function.

The only reference that I can find to the mechanics of suppressing magic resistance is that the player needs to declare that they are suppressing their magic resistance. I've generally used one of two methods, either the one pointed out by Mark Hall where it takes an action to lower the resistance or having it be a free action however when it is lowered it stays down for one full round.
    Firm opponent of the one true path

7. - Top - End - #7

GnomePirate

Heres one issue that counters this, Dwarves in 2nd were innately non-magical and while I agree a normal save mechanic can be ignored, Dwarves are specifically stated in one of the books, might have been the CBoD that says they have to check to see if they can even use magic items due to their resistance.

The percentage resistance to me being innate is like you sweating when its hot. You cant turn it off. Unlike sweating resistance doesn't have an air conditioned room you can walk into. You have no control over it and it just happens.

8. - Top - End - #8

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Corsair14 View Post
    Heres one issue that counters this, Dwarves in 2nd were innately non-magical and while I agree a normal save mechanic can be ignored, Dwarves are specifically stated in one of the books, might have been the CBoD that says they have to check to see if they can even use magic items due to their resistance.

The percentage resistance to me being innate is like you sweating when its hot. You cant turn it off. Unlike sweating resistance doesn't have an air conditioned room you can walk into. You have no control over it and it just happens.
    That is a very specific circumstance (and it was CBoD) which only applies to dwarfs and is not Magic Resistance. For starters if the dwarf fails the saving throw it's not as though nothing happens like when a Magic Resistance check is made. No, rather some weird wacky consequence happens as a result more akin to a wild magic effect (although not as strong). Furthermore dwarfs don't have Magic Resistance instead getting a bonus to magic saving throws which you mentioned as something which a character should be able to control. Really it's more like a dwarven incompetence with magic roll than a Magic Resistance roll, as illustrated by the fact that dwarven priests and warrior priests don't need to make that roll.

Plus the fact that the main book explicitly states that any creature with magic resistance can lower it at will.
    Firm opponent of the one true path

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by DragonclawExia View Post

Just wondering.
    No/Yes (if the ally has MR)

No (other drow he applies haste to would have their MR however)

As noted above, it can be lowered at will (usually). More details only exist in splats, dragon magazine or the like.

Dragon 218: "Miscellaneous Notes
    A magic-resistant creature's own abilities, spells, and magical items always work normally; magic resistance never interferes with magic that comes from the resistant creature. Also, magic resistance extends to a creature's items. If its resistance succeeds, the creature's items are protected, too. Magic resistance can be voluntarily lowered whenever the resistant creature wishes. Doing so takes some concentration, and cannot be done while the creature takes any action other than moving at half normal speed. Once resistance is lowered, every spell directed at the creature that round works normally.

Magic resistance works in addition to a saving throw, if the resistance roll fails, the creature is entitled to a saving throw (if one applies). A creature that has voluntarily lowered its resistance fails its resistance roll automatically, but it still gains any saving throw it normally would be entitled to." Skip Williams
    Last edited by CE DM; 2018-01-19 at 08:16 PM. Reason: smoothing out a cut/paste