New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2018-01-19 at 05:49 PM.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls XIV: Good? Bad? I'm the one with the Thu'um!

Um, twelfth? I'm sensing some copy paste demons involved here.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

No, running joke. Every thread since 12 has had the wrong first post.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

4. - Top - End - #4

The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Urgh... I'm officially deciding that trying to mod classic Skyrim is not freaking worth it. No matter how careful and methodical I am: mysterious gpu spikes outta nowhere. So stuff it. Maybe I'll have better luck with SE after all, if I can stand to keep at it. I feel like I've been doing this for a week :(

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

What horrible things were you trying to do to Skyrim?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    What horrible things were you trying to do to Skyrim?
    Actually, I've worked out my problem is an overheating GPU. Since it's an iMac and I can't open it up, it's goin' back to the shop to be fixed. Or maybe just cleaned.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Well speaking of crashy Skyrim weirdness, does anyone understand how random encounters are stored/created? I've got one of those that crashes when the game picks it, and since it only happens with Rigmor of Bruma installed, I'd very much like to figure out if it's that doing it, or some other mod so I can report it. I assume it's something inside the .esp, but I'd like to know what I'm looking for before I go looking.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

I'm reposting my question to here

I'm thinking of starting up a new Skyrim run and I'm wondering what mods people recommend? I'm looking for both content and graphic mods.
    The day I find a game is the day that HL2 Episode 3 is released!
    My Brandenburg Interactive AAR game for EUIV.
    Here is the recruitment page

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

You said you were playing Special Edition?

Ordinator and the rest of Eno's stuff is good, I'm not actually sure if any other perk mods have been updated. Inigo seems interesting, and I'm quite enjoying Rigmor of Bruma. There's also Beyond Skyrim: Bruma.

Can't think of anything graphically to add, though Immersive HUD and Dynavision are useful options if they've been ported.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

SE runs a lot smoother (better framerate) on my system. That and usual bugs (cursor bug when alt-tabbing out) are gone. The ESSENTIAL mods are there. Though the advanced stuff (Drachis Argonians or different body meshes) will likely never get ported.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

To be fair, porting is somewhat unnecessary if it's not using a .BSA file.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    SE runs a lot smoother (better framerate) on my system. That and usual bugs (cursor bug when alt-tabbing out) are gone. The ESSENTIAL mods are there. Though the advanced stuff (Drachis Argonians or different body meshes) will likely never get ported.

But I always go Khajit!
    The day I find a game is the day that HL2 Episode 3 is released!
    My Brandenburg Interactive AAR game for EUIV.
    Here is the recruitment page

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

The last TES game I was playing was OpenMW 0.42 last summer. I should probably give that another go some time.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Spamalot in the Playground

To be fair, porting is somewhat unnecessary if it's not using a .BSA file.
    That's good to know. I think one of the old armor mods I had isn't being updated anymore by the author, but it's just lose textures.

Quote Originally Posted by Akisa View Post
    But I always go Khajit!
    This one agrees!
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

This one says once you go Khajiit, you never return.

My first character was actually a Khajiit, who ended up being a very capable mage. Surprisingly fun to play actually.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Does Amren have a mod that let's you get to play with him ?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I feel I have not often enough stated for the record that I despise Deadly Dragons shock element dragons. Not even the storm dragons or the other high end variants, but the basic Dragon with shock breath.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Does anyone know the one about the Breton and the bear tamer?

Just asking.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

20. - Top - End - #20
    Spamalot in the Playground

I feel I have not often enough stated for the record that I despise Deadly Dragons shock element dragons. Not even the storm dragons or the other high end variants, but the basic Dragon with shock breath.
    I'm guessing the reason starts with O, ends with P, and has you getting killed repeatedly in the middle of it?
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, pretty much. Shock's just plain stronger than Fire/Frost, and I find shock resist gear to be much less common than the other two.

22. - Top - End - #22

Yeah, pretty much. Shock's just plain stronger than Fire/Frost, and I find shock resist gear to be much less common than the other two.
    The drain on Magicka is a real beast. But, that (and the fact that no one is resistant to shock) is part of why I prefer lightning-based spells.
    The Cranky Gamer

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Really? I've long found Frost to be the strongest element. But I've played with mods that overhaul combat to actually deplete Stamina and debuff you if you're out so long I may have forgotten what Vanilla is like.

Even then though Ice Storm is hands down the best AoE damage spell in the game, and potentially the most powerful all around damage spell. You get so much bang for your magicka it's not even funny, since it hits like three times (more if your enemy backpedals away from you).
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2018-01-25 at 02:47 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Really? I've long found Frost to be the strongest element. But I've played with mods that overhaul combat to actually deplete Stamina and debuff you if you're out so long I may have forgotten what Vanilla is like.

Even then though Ice Storm is hands down the best AoE damage spell in the game, and potentially the most powerful all around damage spell. You get so much bang for your magicka it's not even funny, since it hits like three times (more if your enemy backpedals away from you).
    All three elements have their strengths. Frost is great against physical threats like bears and melee npcs. The slow debuff makes keeping out of reach pretty easy and the stamina damage keeps their power attacks at a minimum. For efficiency, fire is fast and cheap and combines nasty initial damage with damage over time. When combined with elemental weaknesses, both can be absolutely devastating. That said, I find shock to be my go-to. First off, there are way too many things with resistance to fire and frost, but next to nothing with shock resistance, making it a good all-around element. Second, the projectile speed makes it easier to hit targets. And last, there's nothing quite like taking a mage's magicka away while doing damage. When I play a mage, I use all three, but shock is what I have in hand when I don't know what I'm going to run across next, particularly against dragons until I know what element they are.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Frost also has a built-in slowing effect.

Shock dragons are so deeply deadly, because while it takes a second for fire or frost to track from one target to the next, shock jumps targets instantly.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

I tend to default to either lightning or fire for destruction. Pre-100 Enchanting, fire is simply the most efficient in terms of damage-per-thaum, has a decent array of enemies that don't have immunities, and has decent projectile speed. Then when I get enough enchanting to have free destruction casting, it's over to lightning for its hitscan nature, nearly-nonexistent resistant enemies, and good anti-mage utility.

I'll note that I usually also usually run a mod to add enchantments to increase magic potency, which means that with a high enough enchanting skill you can swat dragons out of the sky with a single well-placed lightning bold.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Just a point of order: isn't it traditional to add a post to the *old* thread pointing at the new one when it's created? I only just noticed this thread was here (more than a week after it was created).

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

The other difficulty with dragon lightning is that it tends to stun lock you and get you killed because you can't move.

Ice makes for a super effective sniping tool. Lightning has a shorter range even though it's hit scan, and firebolts both wobble and tend to fizzle out before hitting. Ice Spikes on the other hand fly totally straight, and have a hilariously long projectile life time.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

The other difficulty with dragon lightning is that it tends to stun lock you and get you killed because you can't move.

Ice makes for a super effective sniping tool. Lightning has a shorter range even though it's hit scan, and firebolts both wobble and tend to fizzle out before hitting. Ice Spikes on the other hand fly totally straight, and have a hilariously long projectile life time.
    I don't think I can accept the characterisation as "super effective" of any of the destruction spells as sniping weapons. They're just not strong enough to one-shot any opponent worth worrying about, no matter how carefully delivered. A non-magical bow (in the hands of a similarly levelled, stealthy user) can do significantly more damage, either as a single shot or in DPS.

Maybe with a mod that lets you apply stealth perks to spell damage, I could buy it.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

30. - Top - End - #30
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    I don't think I can accept the characterisation as "super effective" of any of the destruction spells as sniping weapons. They're just not strong enough to one-shot any opponent worth worrying about, no matter how carefully delivered. A non-magical bow (in the hands of a similarly levelled, stealthy user) can do significantly more damage, either as a single shot or in DPS.

Maybe with a mod that lets you apply stealth perks to spell damage, I could buy it.
    Part of the reason for that, though, is that every weapon type has both enchantments and perks that boost damage, while Destruction's perks mostly focus on cost reduction.

The above-linked mod fixes that, at least partially, by adding in enchantments that allow you to boost destruction damage.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!