New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls XIV: Good? Bad? I'm the one with the Thu'um!

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Classes may or may not be useful for TES. I'm not sure if Skyrim did well to remove character generation entirely and rely purely on in-game development. But Warrior/Mage/Thief isn't a useful division.
    I personally think it is - after all, just about every class in a CRPG can generally be expressed as some combination of the Big 3.

Skyrim's approach - expose you to every possible playstyle in the tutorial - may have been more organic than writing your class down on your prison release forms ("Sign here, Mr. Nightblade"), but it was also more incongruous. "Here, grab this broadsword and defend yourself from these armed imperial guardsmen. No I don't know what you were supposed to do if you never held a sword in your life. Now leap out of this collapsing tower. How old did you say you were again? Okay, now grab this bow and sneak past that sleeping bear."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #902
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Clearly it's a prequel, showing the founding of the Alessian Empire.
    I just remembered... this would mean we could play as a time travelling cyborg. I want this game now.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #903
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I'm not saying that's bad. Killing a lot of stuff is part of most RPGs after all. I'm just saying that it doesn't really make me think of swelling music and peaceful sunrise.
    Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Thoughts?
    Concur that it's kind of odd that you can't craft or commission scrolls. I end up using potions for all my substitute sorcerer needs, and selling the scrolls. Maybe they would be more useful if they brought back monsters that were immune to physical damage?

I just remembered... this would mean we could play as a time travelling cyborg. I want this game now.
    !!! I want to meet Morihaus Breath-of-Kyne! And go murder some Ayleid slavemasters with bird beaks.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I think the real advantage of scrolls should be the ability to frontload the magicka cost. Instead of opening up with your uber death spell of draining all your mana, you scribe it to a scroll ahead of time, so you aren't completely screwed is anything isn't killed by it. Likewise if youre a caster/martial hybrid, scrolls would let you get away with having less magicka in the middle of a fight.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #905
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Thoughts?
    I think you overstate the uselessness of scrolls. I mean - clearly you'd be a fool to try to use scrolls to make yourself an instant no-skill wizard - that's not what they're for. But to give an edge in a tight spot? Only last night my 12th-level paladin-type used a scroll of Guardian Circle, when he stumbled into the tomb of Fjori and Holgeir. For a 12th-level character to have access to that kind of magic - that's not "useless", that's lifesaving. And good luck finding a Staff of Guardian Circle.

It's the sheer common-ness of master-level spells in scroll form that makes them useful. They give easy, though rationed, access to spells that ordinarily it would take you 20, 30 or more solid levels' worth of questing to earn. Granted, I've never really seen the use-case for most of the lower-level scrolls (well, Candlelight could be useful, to a character who conscientiously avoids learning any magic*) - but those are really surprisingly rare, considering. It seems like most of the scrolls in my inventory are Master-level spells, and that's quite a leveller.

Scrolls are for emergencies. Like potions, only - more limited, and harder to use, but the flip side is that they give access to far more powerful magic.

* Although if there's enough light to read a scroll, there's probably enough light that you don't need the spell. But hey, let's not drag reason into Skyrim.
    Last edited by veti; 2018-06-21 at 02:29 AM.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

6. - Top - End - #906

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    For a 12th-level character to have access to that kind of magic - that's not "useless", that's lifesaving.
    But what about a 50th-level character? I can't think of any scrolls in the game that would be useful for such a character, even if they otherwise have no magic skills. Allowing scrolls to get the benefits of magic perks that the player character doesn't have would fix that to some extent--you could have a Guardian Circle that affects much higher level critters than the basic one.

7. - Top - End - #907
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    What do you mean, remove character generation? at the start of the game you play around with your characters face, race and some other things.

Thinking further, I don't remember classes being one of the things you mess with, unlike Oblivion and Morrowind, so is that what you mean?

Oblivion and Morrowind both had about thirty prespecified classes, and you were still advised to make a homebrew class to suit your own likes and dislikes.
    I meant that you no longer select skills and attributes, as I think should be blindingly obvious from the context.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I personally think it is - after all, just about every class in a CRPG can generally be expressed as some combination of the Big 3.
    It's actually not, RPGs just pretend it is as they shoehorn every skill into this division. "Mage" is less useless than the other two, I suppose, since magic is its distinct thing, but is light armor a thief or warrior skill. for instance?

If we do have to divide skills somehow, it'd be more worthwhile to do it along the lines of offensive, defensive, utility, social and so on. This way a new player actually has a good idea of what skills they should pick to have a well-rounded character.

Skyrim's approach - expose you to every possible playstyle in the tutorial - may have been more organic than writing your class down on your prison release forms ("Sign here, Mr. Nightblade"), but it was also more incongruous. "Here, grab this broadsword and defend yourself from these armed imperial guardsmen. No I don't know what you were supposed to do if you never held a sword in your life. Now leap out of this collapsing tower. How old did you say you were again? Okay, now grab this bow and sneak past that sleeping bear."
    This, on the other hand, is true.
    Last edited by Morty; 2018-06-21 at 03:34 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    But what about a 50th-level character? I can't think of any scrolls in the game that would be useful for such a character, even if they otherwise have no magic skills.
    Well, sure. But that's like saying "why does no one make a gun for Superman?" A 50th level character doesn't need that sort of help.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

9. - Top - End - #909

BlackDragon

Well, sure. But that's like saying "why does no one make a gun for Superman?" A 50th level character doesn't need that sort of help.
    Well, maybe the game should provide challenges strong enough that a 50th-level character *does* need that sort of help?

10. - Top - End - #910
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post

!!! I want to meet Morihaus Breath-of-Kyne! And go murder some Ayleid slavemasters with bird beaks.

Ah, Morihaus. Loved the exposition in KOT9, though.

Player: "So, er, given what we now know about the Amulet of Kings, why exactly didn't Alessia become the first of a Dragonborn line?"

Game: "Well, you see, she had this forbidden romance..."

Player: "Not sure I'm buying."

Game: "...with a flying minotaur. Totally warped the fabric of fate."

Player: "Ah. Yeah. That would make sense."
    Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

11. - Top - End - #911

Right, that's it. Someone needs to write a cheap cheesy Twilight-style teen romance about a love triangle between young, awkward and totally-not-pretty slave Alessia, sexy demigod beast badboy Morihaus and cold, emotionless robot from the future Pelinal Whitestrake. It ends tragically when Pelinal is slain and his ruby heart is used to make the amulet of kings. Then Alessia marries Morihaus and they have a sexy minotaur son who becomes Emperor.

12. - Top - End - #912
    Titan in the Playground

But only if all four are voiced by Patrick Stewart.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

13. - Top - End - #913

ClericGirl

Right, that's it. Someone needs to write a cheap cheesy Twilight-style teen romance about a love triangle between young, awkward and totally-not-pretty slave Alessia, sexy demigod beast badboy Morihaus and cold, emotionless robot from the future Pelinal Whitestrake. It ends tragically when Pelinal is slain and his ruby heart is used to make the amulet of kings. Then Alessia marries Morihaus and they have a sexy minotaur son who becomes Emperor.
    (In that fine YA romance tradition where "emotionless" actually means "in a constant murderous rage.")

14. - Top - End - #914

Yes. Pelinal is rather famous for that.

15. - Top - End - #915

ClericGirl

But this time, the author will never suspect!

16. - Top - End - #916
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Well, maybe the game should provide challenges strong enough that a 50th-level character *does* need that sort of help?
    I mean, come a certain point, the benefit scrolls provide will simply not ever be something your character cant already do. If youre a wizard, you can cast that magic directly, and if youre a fighter, you can live without it. Unless scrolls do things that players cant do on their own, they are never going to be amazingly useful.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

17. - Top - End - #917
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I mean, come a certain point, the benefit scrolls provide will simply not ever be something your character cant already do. If youre a wizard, you can cast that magic directly, and if youre a fighter, you can live without it. Unless scrolls do things that players cant do on their own, they are never going to be amazingly useful.
    I don't know, scrolls were amazingly useful in Morrowind, generally much more so than the magic you could cast yourself without buffs and exploits. A thirty seconds paralyze spell cast for free, without any casting animation, without chance of failing... For a fighter or a rogue, that's an iwin button against even the strongest opponents.

18. - Top - End - #918
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    I don't know, scrolls were amazingly useful in Morrowind, generally much more so than the magic you could cast yourself without buffs and exploits. A thirty seconds paralyze spell cast for free, without any casting animation, without chance of failing... For a fighter or a rogue, that's an iwin button against even the strongest opponents.
    The casting system was pretty different in Morrowind. Among other things, there were a crap ton more levers to pull in designing a magic effect. There was one enchanted sword who's magical effect amounted to getting a bounty for assault every time you hit somebody, for example.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Tbh I almost never used my scrolls. Really, the only times I can remember using them were:

Curing various Kwama Queens or myself of blight

That time I decided to go full tilt against Gothren and summoned half a dozen daedra in his very cramped quarters (with some help of my best friend the Amulet of Admonition)

Using a scroll of Icarian Flight like a darn fool

Using a scroll of Windwalker and feeling nothing but absolute joy for 60 blessed seconds

Otherwise I mostly hoarded them, sometimes sold junk ones if I needed the cash. Which did leave me with a hilarious amount of potential magical mayhem sitting around in some dwemer ruin.

20. - Top - End - #920

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Talion View Post
    That works fine so long as you cast a second one before landing, and you *do* get three of them.

21. - Top - End - #921
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Talion View Post
    Tbh I almost never used my scrolls. Really, the only times I can remember using them were:

Curing various Kwama Queens or myself of blight

That time I decided to go full tilt against Gothren and summoned half a dozen daedra in his very cramped quarters (with some help of my best friend the Amulet of Admonition)

Using a scroll of Windwalker and feeling nothing but absolute joy for 60 blessed seconds

Otherwise I mostly hoarded them, sometimes sold junk ones if I needed the cash. Which did leave me with a hilarious amount of potential magical mayhem sitting around in some dwemer ruin.
    I didn't use them often either, I'll admit.
    But when I did, it was against stuff that really deserve the resource expenditure. I'm thinking Umbra, Dagoth Ur, some of the stronger Daedra... If you're underleveled, they can be a godsend. Why, I can remember getting Daedric weapons at a very low level thanks to a scroll of paralyze allowing me to whale on a cultist under Vivec entirely uninterrupted for half a minute.

22. - Top - End - #922
    Ogre in the Playground

That works fine so long as you cast a second one before landing, and you *do* get three of them.
    Or by positioning yourself correctly so that you literally splash down at the end, because on Mundus, you can fall at any speed and from any height into water and still land safely, provided that you don't have a Water Walk effect active. :)

23. - Top - End - #923
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DomaDoma View Post
    Ah, Morihaus. Loved the exposition in KOT9, though.

Player: "So, er, given what we now know about the Amulet of Kings, why exactly didn't Alessia become the first of a Dragonborn line?"

Game: "Well, you see, she had this forbidden romance..."

Player: "Not sure I'm buying."

Game: "...with a flying minotaur. Totally warped the fabric of fate."

Player: "Ah. Yeah. That would make sense."
    Of course the question this raises is...

...who did Kynareth have a forbidden romance with?

Quote Originally Posted by Caelestion View Post
    Or by positioning yourself correctly so that you literally splash down at the end, because on Mundus, you can fall at any speed and from any height into water and still land safely, provided that you don't have a Water Walk effect active. :)
    Water Walk has other uses though. Or does it only let you walk on lava in Oblivion? I confess I haven't tried it in Skyrim or Morrowind.

24. - Top - End - #924
    Banned

Sure, but I'd rather die to the fall damage than to the slaughterfish.

25. - Top - End - #925
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

That's absolutely a reasonable complaint and a valid modding goal, but it's something that goes way beyond tinkering with scrolls.

Does that work even if you land ankle-deep in a small pond? I've never noticed it. Guess I'm just too scared of falling to try it.

26. - Top - End - #926
    Titan in the Playground

It needs to be deep enough to trigger the swimming animation (so about chest deep).

27. - Top - End - #927

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Of course the question this raises is...

...who did Kynareth have a forbidden romance with?
    Interesting question. UESP say that Belharza Man-Bull, the son of Alessia and Morihaus was the first minotaur, so she couldn't have mated with one. Kyne is shown with wings, or at least a feather cloak, so he probably got that part from her. I can't think of any god or Daedra who looks minotaurish, either. He could be the son of a god who took on bull-shape, as in the original myth, but he's a demigod, which would imply that his non-Kyne parent was mortal... which would mean that Kyne mated with a normal bull?
    Yeah, the Merethic Era is weird.

(Fun fact: the early Roman Republic (or Kingdom?) had five standards and the Eagle was only one of them. One Legion carried the Minotaur.)
    Last edited by Eldan; 2018-06-22 at 03:57 AM.

28. - Top - End - #928
    Ogre in the Playground

Does that work even if you land ankle-deep in a small pond? I've never noticed it. Guess I'm just too scared of falling to try it.
    If you can navigate into anything short of a large river or the coastline when travelling at that speed, you're a far better man than I ever was! That said, I think it's great that there are still non-obvious interactions in Morrowind that aren't widely known, even sixteen years later.

29. - Top - End - #929
    Dwarf in the Playground

If you can navigate into anything short of a large river or the coastline when travelling at that speed, you're a far better man than I ever was! That said, I think it's great that there are still non-obvious interactions in Morrowind that aren't widely known, even sixteen years later.
    And I think its great that someone could have booted up Morrowind 16 years ago, never turned it off, and still have 14+ years of light from an obscure lantern.
    Last edited by Talion; 2018-06-22 at 08:52 AM.

30. - Top - End - #930
    Firbolg in the Playground

Next up on Chadwick: Check the boxes that tick me off: Elf? Bossy? Magic user? Barely competent? Snarkier than I am? So far, we're five for five.

Incidentally, there's nothing quite like the sigh of relief when you finally get your load order working the way it used to. I can actually record Morrowind now, and I've been missing that game like nothing else. Chord and his Pointy SticksTM can once more terrorize Vvardenfell.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!