New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Spear of Gruumsh

Howdy all, I'll try to avoid unnecessary details for times sake, but anyway, i have a half-orc barbarian with the new zealot subclass from xanthars, and everything is lining up to turn her into a fallower of Gruumsh, first i was thinking of adding stats for the orc double axe, but found out 'ol one-eye preferred the spear, now it's no secret to everyone here that the spear in 5e is less then impressive, so i was wondering if anyone here had any ideas on what would a spear blessed by an orc god might look like and be capable of?

Thanks in advance for any tips, advice, or help.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Spear of Gruumsh

I'd make it:

Returning (when thrown, it returns to the thrower's hand) and on a Critical Hit, it should Pin the target (reduces target speed to 0' for one round). +1 weapon? +2 weapon?
    The battle cry of a true master is "RAW!!!"

I play Devil's Advocate. Why does a devil need an advocate? Because only bad lawyers go to hell. The good ones find a loophole.

5e Homebrew: Firearms through the ages / Academian class / Misc. Spells

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Make it a halberd and it can be both a spear and an axe. Boom.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

One thing that both I and my players have enjoyed is an element of battlefield control in weapons. Something such as a number of charges or on critical hits to knock the enemy back a certain number of feet based on a strength save against 8+prof+STR modifier (so it's like a spell save, maybe increase DC while raging). or even the ability to move enemies towards the user since Gruumsh is a war god.

Perhaps it also could have out of combat abilities. It could float 1' off the ground (able to support no weight) and rotate to point towards the nearest battle.

One thing I have learned DMing is that, at least among my players, cool factor trumps effectiveness, always.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Some good suggestions, so here's what I'm thinking so far,
    +1 to hit and damage, extra crit die (sense she's a half-orc it'll pump it up to three), or maybe improved crit while using the spear so a crit on 19/20?
    With a favored enemy type effect, gruumsh has a distaste for elves, and drow in particular, like an extra +1 hit/damage and can feel when they are near and have a desire to go hunt them down, they happen to be in a sometimes drow heavy environment, but not all drow they meet are bad so it could lead to some interesting decisions on her part,

I'm also thinking of giving an amulet to act as a holy symbol that would give a strength bonus, she's already at 20 so it would push it to 22, not sure if that would be to much though, maybe only when she's raging, or perhaps some other bonus while raging? Maybe make it harder to lose rage or give an extra rage per day? Thoughts?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by poolio View Post
    With a favored enemy type effect, gruumsh has a distaste for elves, and drow in particular, like an extra +1 hit/damage and can feel when they are near and have a desire to go hunt them down, they happen to be in a sometimes drow heavy environment, but not all drow they meet are bad so it could lead to some interesting decisions on her part,
    Sort of a "The Spear of Gruumsh glows red in the presence of hair gel and acrobatics?"

How about the Attuned player gains advantage on Intimidation and Deception checks against elves, and disadvantage on Persuasion checks against elves?
    The battle cry of a true master is "RAW!!!"

I play Devil's Advocate. Why does a devil need an advocate? Because only bad lawyers go to hell. The good ones find a loophole.

5e Homebrew: Firearms through the ages / Academian class / Misc. Spells

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lol that's a good one, thanks