Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1110
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content 12: Artificial Unintelligence

That was... fast.

YAY!!!

OK, bedtime tonight's going to be interesting in DIFFERENT ways than I thought!

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Ogre in the Playground

That was definitely sooner than I expected and kind of skips ahead...

But better than six more weeks of teasing, so I'm okay with this.
    This song is Copyrighted in U.S., under Seal of Copyright # 154085, for a period of 28 years, and anybody caught singin it without our permission, will be mighty good friends of ourn, cause we dont give a dern. Publish it. Write it. Sing it. Swing to it. Yodel it. We wrote it, thats all we wanted to do.

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

So after reading tonight's comic, I am curious on how QC robot chassis lips/face compare to another human as far as the physical/psychological interactive nature of kissing. I doubt that Jeph would explore this idea, but it does make me curious.

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    I just want them to mush faces together and be happy

THEY'RE DOING THE THING! Guys, they're doing the thing!
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    So after reading tonight's comic, I am curious on how QC robot chassis lips/face compare to another human as far as the physical/psychological interactive nature of kissing. I doubt that Jeph would explore this idea, but it does make me curious.
    Yeah... Unromantic as I am, this was my first thought as well. It seems unlikely bubbles has life like lips and feelings aside, kissing metal seems weird to me. (ignoring other activities)

Don't get me wrong, this is cute and all, I just can't stop thinking about the problem it implies.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Troll in the Playground

"FRIGGIN' FINALLY"

Clearly a candidate for the next thread title.

Quote Originally Posted by Mith
    We know from observation that May's face is made up of a flexible polymer - we learned that in the previous arc when she visited Faye and Bubbles at the Skate Park and had her damaged face repaired.
    It seems as though underneath there is cabling roughly equivalent to human musculature, and the outer layer is a softer, rubber-like surface - and this is baring in mind that May's face is a jury-rig on top of a cheap prison-issue body.

Given that Bubbles' chassis is similar in form and function but built on a multimillion dollar government project's budget, I don't think that it would be unrealistic to infer that her 'skin' wouldn't be too different in texture from a synthetic skin-equivalent. We have such a thing in real life, and the QC universe is well ahead of us in regards to prosthesis and humanoid surrogates.

...Look, I'm trying not to use the words "Real Doll" but now that I have it probably conveys the idea better than what else I just said, so... whatever.

7. - Top - End - #1057
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    If they just go back to work and both sides pretend nothing happened, I'll stop reading...
    Maybe.
    Ok, guess I'll keep reading :)

Yes this is definitely not going back to the status quo after this... I'm glad he's not dragging it out for another 3 weeks.

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Titan in the Playground

I dont like it. It was too sudden with no discussion between them. Neither side even admitted they liked the other, just apologized for overstepping bounds only to find they hadnt then started to face battle. I mean im glad the tension is over, but honestly? I would have expected this comic to end without a kiss, just them talking it out, then FRIDAY they confess to each other and smooch.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #1059

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    ...Look, I'm trying not to use the words "Real Doll" but now that I have it probably conveys the idea better than what else I just said, so... whatever.
    I'm not questioning whether or not they have the technology to make synthetic skin, but... Bubbles is not meant to be a sexbot. She's meant to be a murderbot. And spending money on making her skin from something better than metal/rubber seems like a luxury. I mean, maybe they respect and value their combat AIs enough to go the extra mile on this but my first thought is : they don't.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    ...She's meant to be a murderbot. And spending money on making her skin from something better than metal/rubber seems like a luxury. I mean, maybe they respect and value their combat AIs enough to go the extra mile on this but my first thought is : they don't.
    Given she wore armour at her introduction, we can assume she wore a separate armour layer into combat, and therefore it's reasonable to conclude she was also helmeted, or (at a complete guess) used an entirely different head unit. The Bubbles head we see now is potentially more likely to be a 'allow the robot to interact with her squadmates, thus forming bonds that help in combat', for which more natural skin would be helpful

11. - Top - End - #1061

That is the same reasoning the Murderbots in The Murderbot Diaries have human faces, well beside being part organic anyway and it is about their customers not squad mates.

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I mean, maybe they respect and value their combat AIs enough to go the extra mile on this but my first thought is : they don't.
    Given that we have seen non-humanoid murderbots before - there's the guy who looks like ED-209 that got into a flamewar with Pintsize, and that May could have had a Fighter Jet for a body - I have thus far been working under the premise that "the Bubbles project" was designed to make a "more human" murderbot as it's conception.

I might be wrong of course, but I think the logic is sound; they designed her to pass for human because that's what they wanted her to do, and if they wanted her to be a robot killing machine then they already have some far more efficient designs available. Given the lengths gone to give her realistic growing hair and an identifiably-feminine figure, non-metallic skin isn't much of a stretch.

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

That said, it is one thing to have a robot look identifiably human for the purposes of being more sympathetic to squadmates and civilians; it is another to have the robot be palpably human or human-approximate, as there is not a particularly good reason for even an identifiable military robot to be kissing anybody.

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Orc in the Playground

This sort of scene always confuses me (not that I'm complaining this time).

Two characters exchange some words, none of which are necessarily about romantic feelings, and then they both somehow know it's time to kiss? How does that work? Is this a thing that real humans do, or just a "story thing"?
    My completely awesome avatar (I call her Quill) has been generously crafted by the esteemed Honest Tiefling!

Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good-looking) and your humility is stunning.

15. - Top - End - #1065
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So . . . Uh . . . Am I the only one here who is pretty meh about this? I know there are people cheering this on or otherwise squeeing, but I just can't bring myself to care about basically anything involving Faye.

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Okay. One little thing annoys me. Maybe not "annoy", maybe just "itches".

Why do Robots feel the need to display affection the same way as humans do? I mean, i get if Bubbles want to convey her emotions in a way that is compatible with Fayes' expectations, but i hope there is.. more than "aping the humans" in term of behavioral display of affection.

Personally, the single most intimate moment between Bubble and Fayes was Bubble asking her to remove her armor. It was awesome.

...and led to one of my favourite comic punchline ever

17. - Top - End - #1067

QC robots are basically human minds even if some have a few quirks.

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shogo View Post
    So . . . Uh . . . Am I the only one here who is pretty meh about this? I know there are people cheering this on or otherwise squeeing, but I just can't bring myself to care about basically anything involving Faye.
    You're not the only one. I think it is relationship fatigue. The first few times it's cute, but then you know something is going to happen to ruin the relationship and they WILL get together, just a matter of time. I think it takes a very good author to make an actual relationship more fun than the courtship, so you get some sort of payoff for the whole 'will they won't they' rubbish.

As for the murderbot skin thing, my first thought is that the military can't spend money willy-nilly to give AI's bangable skin. My second thought is even if they did respect her, I don't know if having skin so she could boink ladies is going to be high on her priority list. I don't think most soft rubbers are bulletproof? I think AIs can still die from damage, so I can't see any reason beyond morale of others to give her the skin. Seems more like something she bought with her salary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

19. - Top - End - #1069

Post Re: Questionable Content 12: Artificial Unintelligence

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I dont like it. It was too sudden with no discussion between them. Neither side even admitted they liked the other, just apologized for overstepping bounds only to find they hadnt then started to face battle. I mean im glad the tension is over, but honestly? I would have expected this comic to end without a kiss, just them talking it out, then FRIDAY they confess to each other and smooch.
    Yeah it definitely feels like we're missing a page.

Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

20. - Top - End - #1070

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Why do Robots feel the need to display affection the same way as humans do?
    It's all cultural and ****.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Perhaps they wanted their humanoid murderbots to have a face capable of the full repertory of human facial expressions, and given economies of scale, it was cheapest to use commercial off-the-shelf components that included unnecessary features like kissability.

22. - Top - End - #1072

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Why do Robots feel the need to display affection the same way as humans do?
    How much of that "affection display" thing is learned behavior? And why wouldn't humanoid robots learn that behavior in the same ways humans do?
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

23. - Top - End - #1073
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

New comic.

Here's hoping that Monday is a time skip to the next morning.

These end of the week strips have felt like Jeph getting things out of the way. I hope that since the narrative has been accelerated, things can move back to a more normal pace.

24. - Top - End - #1074
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Awwwww they are cute

25. - Top - End - #1075
    Ogre in the Playground

Faye looks... different... without her glasses. Or maybe it's the circumstances.

Edit: Shop closed on account of shipping.
    Last edited by eee; 2018-05-17 at 09:36 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1076
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, there's one more ship unsunk by canon fire...
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

Planet Mercenary RPG Discussion

27. - Top - End - #1077
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Well, there's one more ship unsunk by canon fire...
    You're unhappy about this? Because, as the strip itself says, it's been pretty painfully clear where this was all going. Or is that the problem?

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shogo View Post
    Any particular reason?
    Kungaloosh!

29. - Top - End - #1079

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    As for the murderbot skin thing, my first thought is that the military can't spend money willy-nilly to give AI's bangable skin. My second thought is even if they did respect her, I don't know if having skin so she could boink ladies is going to be high on her priority list. I don't think most soft rubbers are bulletproof? I think AIs can still die from damage, so I can't see any reason beyond morale of others to give her the skin. Seems more like something she bought with her salary.
    Yeah, it seems entirely likely that Bubbles seriously modified her chassis post-discharge. This may even have been imposed upon her to some degree as a form of demilitarization. She might have had some sort of high-end skin made of a anti-ballistic material that was subsequently removed and replaced with a much more standard model.
    Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

30. - Top - End - #1080
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    This sort of scene always confuses me (not that I'm complaining this time).

Two characters exchange some words, none of which are necessarily about romantic feelings, and then they both somehow know it's time to kiss? How does that work? Is this a thing that real humans do, or just a "story thing"?
    I'm not going to say that this isn't a thing that happens between real humans, but I will say that it's a storytelling convention first and foremost that can end really poorly if attempted.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain