New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content 12: Artificial Unintelligence

As far as meaning goes, ventana looks more closely related to window than to finestra, though. It isn't a cognate of any of them, however.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    As far as meaning goes, ventana looks more closely related to window than to finestra, though.
    In a weird way, it is: ventana is related to (one of) the Latin word for wind (ventus). Window is from Old Norse vindauga, from vindr "wind". So they both refer to the same idea ("wind opening"), but I doubt there is a direct connection between them beyond possibly PIE.

Fenster & co., on the other hand, comes from the actual Latin word for window (fenestra). I have not found a good explanation as to why Spanish didn't go for that one.

(This post brought to you by https://www.etymonline.com )

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

3. - Top - End - #273

Griffon

One could possibly assume that on the mainland, the word for 'window' and 'glass' became intertwined when the latter became more common around the 10th century - the Roman Empire was long since fallen, and while Latin was still in common use it was already becoming archaic and used only among the literate minority. Inventing new words to specify a particular new invention or concept - in this case, specifying between traditional shuttered and glass window panes - would be a matter of influence and fashion rather than accurate etymology.

On the British Isles, occupied by Nordic invaders until the mid 11th century, we possibly kept "window" because we spoke a Gaelic/Norse mix and refused to break tradition when Norman invaders arrived and kept French as their own exclusive Boys' Club for a couple of hundred years.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2018-02-12 at 11:24 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    This one always confused me - not because the answer lacks logic, but because it's a very German sort of logic, which Germany itself does not employ.

German words aren't abstract names like the rest of Europe uses, more that they are literal descriptions. Like krankenhaus - the sick house. Or like flammenwerfer - it's something that werfs my flammen. Or fuBgangerzone - the foot-person-area. Likewise, a pineapple is a piece of fruit (like an apple) which is spiky (like a pine tree). It is an "apple of the pine".
    It just strikes me as being a very German way of naming something, y'know?
    Hm.. While I don't agree with the logic that a pineapple has much in common with a pine tree (though somewhat more with a pine cone) I do see the reasoning and, yeah, I guess it is weird we didn't use our usual concept here. But in all likelihood because there already was a word for it and there's not much sense in inventing words for things that have names. (OK, that's terribly phrased but you know what I mean.. I hope). Also, I know, they are all made up.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

5. - Top - End - #275

Pineapple, as "ananas", actually isn't an English invention. It's the translation of an Italian invention by Christopher Columbus himself, who called the pineapple piña de Indes (which is Spanish), meaning "pine cone of the Indians". Piña still can mean pineapple in Spanish.

The thing is, back then, pineapple used to mean "pine cone", since that's the fruit of the pine tree. And that's something that has a lot of parallels in Europe: pomme de pin is French, and still in use; Dutch pijnappel, also still in use; German pinapfel, not in use any more.

And then, somehow, pineapple stopped meaning "pine cone" and turned into "ananas". I guess that "pine cone" had actually already been around for a while, as an alternative. And I also guess that, unlike other languages, English had stopped calling any "fruit" an "apple" (see: pomme de terre and Erdapfel in French and German (potato); fr. pomme de mer = sea urchin; pomme d'or = tomato; germ. Granatapfel, pomegranate). So there weren't many reasons to keep calling an inedible object an apple, especially if that term could be used for a literal translation of a new fruit's name.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I remember laserdiscs - they came and went so quickly that between the time they were released on the market and the time they were formally discontinued, I never even saw a player for them in real life, let alone bought and/or used one

Although, what you are suggesting is almost certainly happening. My first car was built in 2002 and I learned to drive in 2011; the cassette player that was built into the dashboard was a quaint and unrelatable mystery to my then-20 year old friend....
    We had a player for the big laser disks, and rented them on a regular basis, in the early 80s. Beta-max, the rise and fall of VHS, then the DVD, then the Blu-Ray...

I remember 8-tracks, cassettes, the digital audio tape controversy, the rise of the CD... mix tapes and then mix CDs, man... the rise of digital audio... the wild west days of Napster...

Rotary dial phones and party lines in rural areas.

I remember when cell phones were phones; hell I remember when there were no cell phones at all, and then the rise and fall of the "car phone".

Cars with no computerization in them... I'm still dreading my next car purchase, it will have to be a restored car or I won't be able to avoid the nonsense of screens built into the dashboard and Bluetooth and in-car wi-fi and all that other garbage. Probably have to figure out how to disconnect all the antennas trying to connect the car to everything around it.

But the big one is the internet... I remember the world where most people had never heard of, seen, or used the internet. The big explosion in internet usage came right after I graduated from high school. I remember what it's like to not have instant access to all that information (of dubiously various quality).
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Question: When did Dale shave?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

8. - Top - End - #278
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Question: When did Dale shave?
    Marigold looks like she has less acne than I remember her having, too. Maybe their relationship is cleaning them up a bit?

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

And Jeph continues to poke fun at how long the storylines take in web comic time. Heh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    And Jeph continues to poke fun at how long the storylines take in web comic time. Heh.
    Or just poking fun at Emily being an oddball. Or both. Probably both.
    Also: a, jealousy, good old source of pain among even best of friends. Let's hope it's limited to this one strip
    "What's done is done."

11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    This is Emily. She might have been experiencing relativistic time dilation due to some of her experiments, or in a computer environment where time passed more swiftly, or time traveling. She might be one of the the Doctor's companions in her off hours. That would explain the Cyberdisks; they exist, she just doesn't remember she got them from the Cybermen.

(I can see the Cybermen being interested in Witch Planet Soccer...)

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Or just poking fun at Emily being an oddball. Or both. Probably both.
    Also: a, jealousy, good old source of pain among even best of friends. Let's hope it's limited to this one strip
    Yes, that would be bad. But I'm not sure it's so much jealousy as "Oh noes, Emily might be interested in Dale! She's smart, beautiful, vivacious, and tall! How can I compete???"

That Emily threw a hug into Mar-bear on sight and is bringing presents may help defuse the situation and her fears.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Marigold is a good girlfriend. But quite frankly, isn't sharing even among friends a common practice? Especially considering it's probably more a novelty food than something you would want to eat all of alone. Heck, maybe Dave doesn't even like it.

Also.. The Gendo glasses are back.
    "What's done is done."

13. - Top - End - #283
    Colossus in the Playground

Marigold is a good girlfriend. But quite frankly, isn't sharing even among friends a common practice? Especially considering it's probably more a novelty food than something you would want to eat all of alone. Heck, maybe Dave doesn't even like it.

Also.. The Gendo glasses are back.
    She is also a recovering ultra nerd shut in whose only real social contacts were world of warcraft guildmates through ventrillo.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

14. - Top - End - #284

I think Marigold's rose-tinted glasses are tainted (rose-tainted glasses?).
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

I would take another week of Faye and Bubbles beating around the bush over this.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

And Jeph continues to make completely predictable storylines.

I'm still reading because of momentum and because it takes less than a minute a day, but... please.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post

I'm still reading because of momentum and because it takes less than a minute a day, but... please.
    Hopefully this is over... soon.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Dwarf in the Playground

That's still more effort than I put into it anymore. I only read this thread anymore.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Not that I'm too happy with this plot line but you guys seem to take the salt a bit further..

The middle panels are an interesting shift in art, though. I think the inspiration by oglaf.com is quite apparent. I wonder how hard it was for Jeph to draw.
    Also: innuendos?
    "What's done is done."

20. - Top - End - #290

Griffon

An innuendo is a phrase or statement with the implication of a sexual subtext.

There's no subtext happening here. InYOURendo!

21. - Top - End - #291
    Troll in the Playground

Ah. Now THAT'S jealousy.

Also an interesting fantasy...

22. - Top - End - #292
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

The middle panels are an interesting shift in art, though. I think the inspiration by oglaf.com is quite apparent. I wonder how hard it was for Jeph to draw.
    I find the contrast between real Emily and vision Emily pretty funny.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Colossus in the Playground

And what exactly would be "unpredictable"? Seriously, I get it that you are feeling done with the comic, but this is basically what its always been about. Relationship drama that sometimes is justified, but is often blown out of proportion. I say treat this comic like you would the redwall abbey series. Read it till seeing the same general thing happen gets boring then move on.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    And what exactly would be "unpredictable"? Seriously, I get it that you are feeling done with the comic, but this is basically what its always been about. Relationship drama that sometimes is justified, but is often blown out of proportion. I say treat this comic like you would the redwall abbey series. Read it till seeing the same general thing happen gets boring then move on.
    Well, there's predictable and there's predictable.

Jeph doesn't have the finesse of execution to make a predictable plot anything other than boring. Especially with something as cliched as the jealous lover schtick.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

25. - Top - End - #295

There seems to be some experimenting going on. The lines are thicker and more fluid, the eyes look even bigger to me, and the image is generally less detailed. However, there's some nice shading going on.

The things Marigold is imagining remind me a lot of Marten and Dora, tbh.

26. - Top - End - #296

I think the alternative art style is an enjoyment in of itself for this strip..

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I feel like the joke "Marigold is Insecure about her Relationship for no reason" is going to drag on for, at best, for five more days. Worst case scenario we get an arc devoted to it. Which would at TWO different jokes in this comic for a while.
    Last edited by Beelzebub1111; 2018-02-15 at 10:12 AM.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Marigold being insecure could at least lead to some character development, somewhere, as opposed to this "Faye and bubbles are in the exact same place they started out in at the beginning of their last appearance, and the appearance before that, and the appearance before that..."
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

29. - Top - End - #299

Griffon

Is she really worried for "no reason"?

Emily is confidant, intelligent, outgoing, sociable, friendly, tall, atheletic and attractive, and she spends 8 hours a day alone with Dale, who has had one girlfriend ever... I think he would be flattered if another girl showed him any kind of attention, romantic or otherwise. Does that automatically mean that this plot line will end in adultery with Marigold being left alone and hurt? Of course not; I think we'd all hope that Dale and Emily are better than that.

But let's also be honest; one of the few relationship-related incidents that we HAVEN'T worked through in QC is an outright and deliberate episode of one character cheating on another.
    While we kinda-sorta had it between Sven and Faye, who insisted that they were never a real couple, it would be one of the few things left for the group to experience that could provoke some interesting discourse.

30. - Top - End - #300

It could end up with Marigold looking out for someone to betray Dale with, to make sure he is jealous and he keeps caring about her.