New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content 12: Artificial Unintelligence

Evie is not only good at off the cuff psychoanalysis, she's pretty good at controlling Amanda on the fly, too.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    As for Evie, yeah, this entire thing is weird. She's doing this based on... an hour with Faye and about 5 minutes with Bubbles? Waaaay out of line.
    Er, no? They met at the coffee shop presumably in the morning, they're now having dinner. The majority of the working day happened off-panel, and in it Evie and Amanda presumably saw much the same things that the audience and Faye's other friends have been seeing for a while. The signs may also have been very familiar due to the similarity to the start of their own relationship
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    We know that Faye didn't know about Evie not because she and her sister don't discuss these matters, but because Faye only pays attention to phone calls, while her sister also uses PMs.

Now, if you want everything spelled out for you before you accept it, fine, but leaving out routine, plausible communications because the author couldn't find a joke or a plot reason to include them is extremely common - just like we seldom see characters eating, unless like here it is part of the scenario. No-one would complain that {character} should be starving right now because we never see them eat. I am therefore also not willing to call out Evie as jumping to conclusions because I wouldn't be surprised if Faye had gushed over Bubbles without realising it over the phone, just as we have seen her give herself away more than once in this conversation alone.

Grey Wolf
    The best Amanda had gotten from Faye in the way of describing Bubbles is 'soldier robot', which is why Amanda is surprised to discover that her 'tank with legs' image is wrong. Over coffee food, Amanda and Evie have to ask Faye to "tell us about Bubbles," and can only 'bet' that Bubbles comes out of her shell around Faye. While obviously not dispositive, this suggests Faye has not given Amanda much detail about either Bubbles or her relationship with Bubbles. Which fits with the general portrayal of communication between Amanda and Faye being spotty at best.

Obviously no one wants "everything spelled out for you before you accept it," which is not what Max wrote, and I'm rather surprised to see you engaged in such dubious interpretation. But you are suggesting something that is noticeably contrary to what is shown as a way to justify another jarring (for some) element of what is shown, which does not at all fit the idea of not showing things (like eating) whose absence won't disrupt the narrative flow.
    Last edited by Lethologica; 2018-01-26 at 07:15 PM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    Er, no? They met at the coffee shop presumably in the morning, they're now having dinner.
    Some people call lunch dinner, some call it luncheon.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    I often find "you" causes problems, especially between the specific "you" and the general "you" (also not to be confused with General Hu).

Sometimes I'm so concerned that someone will take a statement intended to be general ("When you do X, then Y results") as specific accusation ("You did X, so Y resulted.") that I'll fall back on "When one does X, then Y results." even though it sounds archaic to many readers these days.
    I think the typical solution in cases of ambiguity is to say "you all" for a group (or "y'all" or "all y'all" in certain dialects), "you, personally/specifically/in particular" for the individual being spoken to, and "anyone" or "someone" (or "anybody" or "somebody") rather than "one" to avoid the archaic sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    I think the typical solution in cases of ambiguity is to say "you all" for a group (or "y'all" or "all y'all" in certain dialects), "you, personally/specifically/in particular" for the individual being spoken to, and "anyone" or "someone" (or "anybody" or "somebody") rather than "one" to avoid the archaic sound.
    It weirds some people out when I seem to switch dialects mid-sentence, but I am a firm proponent of "y'all." It's especially confusing online. One second I'm spelling words with "ou" and saying "eh" like a proper Canuck, the next I sound like I'm from the deep South.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    It weirds some people out when I seem to switch dialects mid-sentence, but I am a firm proponent of "y'all." It's especially confusing online. One second I'm spelling words with "ou" and saying "eh" like a proper Canuck, the next I sound like I'm from the deep South.
    I love y'all and appropriate it every chance I get. It's at the sweet spot of convenience and clarity.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    I love y'all and appropriate it every chance I get. It's at the sweet spot of convenience and clarity.
    Me too, especially in group chats. It's more fun than "you guys" and much more fun than "@everyone."
    My completely awesome avatar (I call her Quill) has been generously crafted by the esteemed Honest Tiefling!

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    DEGENERATION 87: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good-looking) and your humility is stunning.

9. - Top - End - #129

Imp

I am from and continue to live deep in Y'all territory, but I'm awfully fond of 'youse guys'.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

On the subject of language, would bringing back "thee" and "thou" also work to fill in the lexicon gap? I always associate tose words to French "Tu" (you singular, informal) and "vous" (you plural, formal singular).

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Some people call lunch dinner, some call it luncheon.
    A friend of mine refers to a full meal had between roughly 1:30pm and 4:30pm "lupper".
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    On the subject of language, would bringing back "thee" and "thou" also work to fill in the lexicon gap? I always associate tose words to French "Tu" (you singular, informal) and "vous" (you plural, formal singular).
    'Thee' and 'thou' aren't distinguished along that axis. Rather, 'thee' is an object and 'thou' is a subject. Thou art a knave; from Hell's heart I stab at thee.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    'Thee' and 'thou' aren't distinguished along that axis. Rather, 'thee' is an object and 'thou' is a subject. Thou art a knave; from Hell's heart I stab at thee.
    I figured I had it wrong. I still like the phrasing of it.

I know "Ye" in things like "Ye olde shoppe" is actually pronounced "the". Is there a similar connection between "ye" and 'thee" as well as "you" and "thou"?

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    I figured I had it wrong. I still like the phrasing of it.

I know "Ye" in things like "Ye olde shoppe" is actually pronounced "the". Is there a similar connection between "ye" and 'thee" as well as "you" and "thou"?
    I think those are two different kinds of 'ye'.

Interestingly, it looks like you are correct: at some point, 'ye' and 'you' were the plural forms of 'thee' and 'thou', before 'you' superseded all of them. The roots are...different? I think? I'm not reading clearly right now. Someone who actually knows middle and early modern English could talk about this properly.

15. - Top - End - #135

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    It's more fun than "you guys" and much more fun than "@everyone."
    Especially since that, to people of a certain generation, the phrase "you guys" has certain implications about the person using it:

Spoiler
    Show

~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

16. - Top - End - #136
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Especially since that, to people of a certain generation, the phrase "you guys" has certain implications about the person using it:

Spoiler
    Show

That was disturbing, and I was unaware of its existence. Thank you, I guess?
    My completely awesome avatar (I call her Quill) has been generously crafted by the esteemed Honest Tiefling!

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    DEGENERATION 87: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good-looking) and your humility is stunning.

17. - Top - End - #137

Griffon

You've never seen The Goonies...?

Jesus Christ, but I'm friggin' old....
    Last edited by Wraith; 2018-01-27 at 06:23 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Colossus in the Playground

You've never seen The Goonies...?

Jesus Christ, but I'm friggin' old....
    Ive seen the goonies but I admit I had no idea about the existence of that scene. After all, its been like, decades since ive watched it.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

19. - Top - End - #139

Guys. I am looking for the comic where Marten and Dora start talkong to each other in miaws, and then realize how cheesy they have becomed. I tried looking for it with no avail.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

I really am starting to think that Jeph has begun writing his comic just to annoy people on Twitter.
    I hope not, as a whole, but I think he's writing this arc to troll the Faye/Bubbles shippers. I'm pretty sure that Faye isn't attracted to Bubbles that way (I'm not sure how Bubbles feels about it), but Amanda and Evie are doing the same thing as a lot of readers and thinking that Faye and Bubbles should hook up.
    Last edited by dps; 2018-01-27 at 10:00 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Guys. I am looking for the comic where Marten and Dora start talkong to each other in miaws, and then realize how cheesy they have becomed. I tried looking for it with no avail.
    Mar mar .
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    I hope not, as a whole, but I think he's writing this arc to troll the Faye/Bubbles shippers. I'm pretty sure that Faye isn't attracted to Bubbles that way (I'm not sure how Bubbles feels about it), but Amanda and Evie are doing the same thing as a lot of readers and thinking that Faye and Bubbles should hook up.
    Do you know the thing some shippers sometimes do where their interpretation of scenes is slightly warped by bias and every innocent thing is confirmation of their stance and inconvenient stuff is ignored? (In short heavy bias.) People against a ship have been known to engage in that behavior too. And I believe you are doing it here.

23. - Top - End - #143

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Ive seen the goonies but I admit I had no idea about the existence of that scene. After all, its been like, decades since ive watched it.
    It's more about the catch-phrase than the scene in particular. Perhaps I have just spent far far too much time on the internet lately. *shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    I have to ask, how do you DO that? Do you have individual bookmarks for specific plotlines? Did you just binge-read 1700 comics until you found the one you needed? Have you memorized every page of every webcomic that you've ever read?

I thought that my Google-Fu was strong... Teach us, O wise master!

Also, while doing just that: Foreshadowing?
    Last edited by Wraith; 2018-01-28 at 06:27 AM.

24. - Top - End - #144

Googling "questionable content mar mar" or "questionable content nonsense talk" both have it as first result for me of course the second is a word from the strip but if you know the scene that is a word combo you might actually use. Another link for mar mar is the tv tropes page which has a link to the strip.

25. - Top - End - #145

It's more about the catch-phrase than the scene in particular. Perhaps I have just spent far far too much time on the internet lately. *shrugs*

I have to ask, how do you DO that? Do you have individual bookmarks for specific plotlines? Did you just binge-read 1700 comics until you found the one you needed? Have you memorized every page of every webcomic that you've ever read?

I thought that my Google-Fu was strong... Teach us, O wise master!

Also, while doing just that: Foreshadowing?
    I have reread the comic a decent number of times, so I hit the random button til I thought it was somewhat close to that comic, then clicked forward for a bit to check. Here's where I ended up with the last random for reference.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

26. - Top - End - #146

Thans a lot for the link!

And yes. Scary rememberance power. I google searched "miaw", i forgot it was "mar"

27. - Top - End - #147

About Pintsize and being a companion AI: apparently, that's something you sign up for. http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2332
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    Do you know the thing some shippers sometimes do where their interpretation of scenes is slightly warped by bias and every innocent thing is confirmation of their stance and inconvenient stuff is ignored? (In short heavy bias.) People against a ship have been known to engage in that behavior too. And I believe you are doing it here.
    Possibly. But I suppose we'll see.

29. - Top - End - #149

AssassinGuy

why shouldn‘t there be annoying characters in a comic?
    I‘ve got an annoying co-worker, unfortunately I’m an adult and can’t punch him in the face for being an idiot. One or two panels of an annoying character every now and then are easy to bear.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Agi Hammerthief View Post
    why shouldn‘t there be annoying characters in a comic?
    I‘ve got an annoying co-worker, unfortunately I’m an adult and can’t punch him in the face for being an idiot. One or two panels of an annoying character every now and then are easy to bear.
    As a rule of thumb, you never want to do something that makes your audience annoyed. Its one thing when a character annoys other characters, but annoying your audience means they might stop being your audience.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”