New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default [5e] Paladin and Favored Soul is good in this Edition ?

Hello everyone, my first post here, and honestly, I'm kind of new here, in case I'm infringing something I apologize and let me know that I delete the post. I played most of the time at 3.5 and a long time ago played a little of 5e, but quickly stopped, the table did not go forward, however recently I started a table of the 5th edition, and now seems to go forward, my GM is very nice and nice people, and the table climate is cool, but I'm in an incredible dilemma, I'm adapting a character from my 3.5 to 5e, my character was an Elf Half-Celestial Paladin 5 / Favored Soul 15 , in this issue I think of doing Paladin 6 / Favored Soul 14, but I'm still in doubt, I'm very new to 5e, I researched several things, and I was happy to find Favored Soul in this edition, although it is not a class and yes a sorcerer archetype, which makes a lot of sense, I was happy, I have doubts if it does not pay to multi-class with Cleric, it pays to take all levels in Paladin, and as for the Cleric, I have a lot of doubt between the two domains that called my attention: Light and Life, I am fascinated by divine classes, and I think Paladin is one of the best classes ever, this is my character is very kind, so to speak, the type that really prefers words to swords, but although I want to be the healer of the group and savior and I would like to have a great power of fire if it comes in handy, so I would like your opinion of this forum that I already attend on time, I sure believe that they could give me a light, thank you and thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Vladhytor; 2018-01-20 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Error and Spam

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: [5e] Paladin and Favored Soul is good in this Edition ?

Technically Favored Soul as-is isn't a thing in 5e, but the latest rulebook (Xanathar's Guide to Everything) introduced a Sorcerous Origin: Divine Soul which is essentially same.

The thing you found is outdated and the official version lacks both the domain and the extra attack, but otherwise a Paladin 6/Divine Soul Sorcerer 14 would still be really good.

Divine Soul sorcerer can choose any number of his/her spells known from the lists of both cleric and sorcerer, so you could quite likely make a perfect imitation of a Favored Soul that way, by choosing all your would-be sorcerer spells from cleric spell list.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-01-20 at 12:30 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Technically Favored Soul as-is isn't a thing in 5e, but the latest rulebook (Xanathar's Guide to Everything) introduced a Sorcerous Origin: Divine Soul which is essentially same.

The thing you found is outdated and the official version lacks both the domain and the extra attack, but otherwise a Paladin 6/Divine Soul Sorcerer 14 would still be really good.

Divine Soul sorcerer can choose any number of his/her spells known from the lists of both cleric and sorcerer, so you could quite likely make a perfect imitation of a Favored Soul that way, by choosing all your would-be sorcerer spells from cleric spell list.
    Looking, on this side, really, you're right, although they have commented on the Favored Soul and have put it as a Sorcerer archetype, it's still a test material from Unearthed Arcana, it really does not formally part of the content of 5e , I will look at this Divine Soul, for what you said and by the name, it seems to be something interesting and I will look at it now, thank you very much, but I think I can doubt you, anything I hope you can help me if it does not bother you.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vladhytor View Post
    Looking, on this side, really, you're right, although they have commented on the Favored Soul and have put it as a Sorcerer archetype, it's still a test material from Unearthed Arcana, it really does not formally part of the content of 5e , I will look at this Divine Soul, for what you said and by the name, it seems to be something interesting and I will look at it now, thank you very much, but I think I can doubt you, anything I hope you can help me if it does not bother you.
    Okay, I downloaded the book and went straight to it, okay, nice to know, so the Favored Soul was officially released with the name of Divine Soul it seems, interesting

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Okay, I downloaded the book and went straight to it, okay, nice to know, so the Favored Soul was officially released with the name of Divine Soul it seems, interesting
    Yeah, the Unearthed Arcana playtest version which still had the name: Favored Soul is a lot older (in fact, the first) iteration of what became Divine Soul in the end. It's probably for the best to just forget those Unearthed Arcana versions now.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-01-20 at 02:01 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Even though you're converting a 3.5 character, so probably will have some things that you want to take that aren't "optimal", take a look at the Sorcadin guide, here:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...rer-Multiclass

They're considered by most as "very good" :)
    Last edited by sambojin; 2018-01-20 at 05:09 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

The Divine Soul Sorcerer is quite powerful is you plan carefully the spells you intend to pick.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Paladin and Sorcerer synergize very well with eachother. Divine Soul gives you access to some spells a Paladin normally wouldn't be able to get, such as Healing Word.

I've got a 1 level dip of Divine Soul planned for my Paladin, to give her some ranged options.

Paladin as it is in the PHB is already a pretty potent option by itself. It doesn't really -need- any Multiclassing to do what it does. It's just that snagging up a level or 2-3 of Sorcerer or Warlock meshes so nicely that it seems to have become the standard. If you're alright with delaying the Paladin's progression, anyway.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gardakan View Post
    The Divine Soul Sorcerer is quite powerful is you plan carefully the spells you intend to pick.
    I'm trying to blend the spells a bit, and very much in doubt too, I'm looking for some unique damage options that might come in handy and the rest support

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sambojin View Post
    Even though you're converting a 3.5 character, so probably will have some things that you want to take that aren't "optimal", take a look at the Sorcadin guide, here:

They're considered by most as "very good" :)
    YOU SAVE MY LIFE basically is what I was looking for and very, very detailed, the idea of ​​the character is exactly as presented in this guide, there is even a part that talks about the progression of Paladin 6 / Sorcerer 14, this will help me a lot, Thanks for the guide. I'm just finished reading.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The main downside to the Divine Soul is that the 6th level ability eats sorcery points and isn't very good. It's also not very synergistic with the general focus of being a Sorcadin. On the other hand, the main reason for Sorcadin is sorcery points + metamagic + higher level spell slots.

The 14th ability is as valuable as flight that doesn't take an attunement slot or concentration and a spell.

The first level ability is pretty decent and synergizes decently with the Channel Divinity abilities of Paladins that also will recharge on a short rest.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2018-01-21 at 04:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide